2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
F
F
I can name some Beethoven sonatas that I would consider harder than the 4th Ballade in terms of hitting the right notes at the right speed(whatever that means):
Op 53, Op 57, Op 81a, Op 106, Op 111.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
I can name some Beethoven sonatas that I would consider harder than the 4th Ballade in terms of hitting the right notes at the right speed(whatever that means):
Op 53, Op 57, Op 81a, Op 106, Op 111.

Okay, that may be true. What I do know is that Opus 52 is musically harder than 53, 57, and 81a, from what I've observed.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
F
Sorry about that. I mentioned these other pieces to show that if we speak about "velocity" or "hitting the right notes" then I consider the difficulty of the 4th Ballade being overrated; it's not harder than all the late sonatas. The really hard thing about that piece is to make it work as a whole and to voice it properly and make it sound right.

Last edited by Franz Beebert; 09/28/13 05:59 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think everything is equally as hard to play well.

F
F
That's what they have been doing all the time in this thread. Why argue about anything?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Sorry about that. I mentioned these other pieces to show that if we speak about "velocity" or "hitting the right notes" then I consider the difficulty of the 4th Ballade being overrated; it's not harder than all the late sonatas. The really hard thing about that piece is to make it work as a whole and to voice it properly and make it sound right.

...which is a task no one has ever accomplished satisfactorily.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
F
You changed your post wink I agree with you; everything is hard to play well. That's why we mentioned "hitting the right notes at the right speed". In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Last edited by Franz Beebert; 09/28/13 06:06 PM.
F
F
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

...which is a task no one has ever accomplished satisfactorily.

I think Richter does it satisfactorily wink
I have never heard a pianist play the late SCHUBERT sonatas completely satisfactorily though(Richter comes close), those are HARD pieces wink Actually, who plays anything completely satisfactorily? I can't name a pianist who I think plays Chopin's Op 48 No 1 even close to satisfactorily; is that because it's the hardest piece Chopin ever wrote?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You changed your post wink I agree with you; everything is hard to play well. That's why we mentioned "hitting the right notes at the right speed". In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Yeah.. I realized how crucial pointless arguing is to these forums. smile

And I agree with the Mozart statement.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Quite true.

Joel, you seemed relieved a few posts back when someone stated that Op. 52 was "easier" than the Hammerklavier (and a few other LvB sonatas), but that doesn't mean it's easy... technically, or musically. That said, many of the Beethoven sonatas are quite a bit more difficult than the fminor.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
In terms of playing everything well, then a Mozart Sonata can be just as hard if not harder than a Liszt Etude for a technically proficient pianist.

Quite true.

Joel, you seemed relieved a few posts back when someone stated that Op. 52 was "easier" than the Hammerklavier (and a few other LvB sonatas), but that doesn't mean it's easy... technically, or musically. That said, many of the Beethoven sonatas are quite a bit more difficult than the fminor.

I was making a subtle statement of my musical taste. laugh

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Actually, who plays anything completely satisfactorily? I can't name a pianist who I think plays Chopin's Op 48 No 1 even close to satisfactorily; is that because it's the hardest piece Chopin ever wrote?

Completely satisfactorily according to WHO ??? crazy

I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
F
F
Originally Posted by carey
Actually, who plays anything completely satisfactorily? I can't name a pianist who I think plays Chopin's Op 48 No 1 even close to satisfactorily; is that because it's the hardest piece Chopin ever wrote?

I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin

Listened to every possible recording on youtube. Not a single one I find good enough... Maybe it's something wrong with the piece... shocked

F
F
Or with me?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Or with me?

I think not (some would agree with that a bit further). I understand you completely. There are many works I know, of which, I have heard numerous performances and nary an instance have I found even one to be completely in tune with my inner ear. Such is the personal fingerprint we all leave on any work we play. The best that you can hope to do is put forth your own rendering.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

Completely satisfactorily according to WHO ??? crazy I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin
Listened to every possible recording on youtube. Not a single one I find good enough... Maybe it's something wrong with the piece... shocked

If you heard a recording of Chopin himself playing the Opus 48 No. 1 you'd probably be disappointed. smile

Last edited by carey; 09/29/13 01:26 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Completely satisfactorily according to WHO ??? crazy I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin

If you heard a recording of Chopin himself playing the Opus 48 No. 1 you'd probably be disappointed. smile

Or very pleased.

F
F
Originally Posted by stores
Or with me?

I think not (some would agree with that a bit further). I understand you completely. There are many works I know, of which, I have heard numerous performances and nary an instance have I found even one to be completely in tune with my inner ear. Such is the personal fingerprint we all leave on any work we play. The best that you can hope to do is put forth your own rendering.

Yes. I somehow feel that this is one of these pieces that are better in Plato's idea world than in this external world wink I myself find it extremely hard to make it sound the way I hear it in my mind.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Of course, we would all be ecstatic to the point of insanity to have the chance to hear Chopin play, but I think we'd all be highly disappointed were we to bring him back to the world in 2013. He would have one heck of a rough time with today's pianos (as would all of my favorite composers).

♪ ≠ $

P
P

Firstly, have you listened to Valentina Igoshina? Shes great.
Secondly, just because there isn't a version you like doesn't mean it's the hardest, it a matter of taste. (Usually when you really love a piece you never find a version that satisfies you, maybe that's the problem.)

"If I decide to be an idiot, then I'll be an idiot on my own accord."
- Johann Sebastian Bach.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission