Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2159298 - 09/28/13 07:05 PM Tuned my first UT
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Yesterday, after testing to a new to me piano tuning for tuning, the client asked up front to not tune equal. This is the first time a client has ever seriously requested a historical temperament. It needed to be suitable for Bach/Mozart/Early romantics. For better or for worst I suggested Young's temperament and the client agreed that would be what she wanted. However, I did not have the specification offsets with me. It exists somewhere in the bowls of my accu-tuner but I could not remember how to access it. Therefore, I asked if the client could provide the offset specs for me, which she did.

I then tuned a temperament octave using those specifications using the accu-tuner on manual. This was not strictly the correct way of doing it because it did not allow for stretch within the temperament octave. I then allowed the client to listen for chords played within the temperament and it was obvious that simpler keys sounded calmer and progressing up to complex keys sounding decidedly sour. We decided to continue to eventually evaluate the piano when the tuning is completed.

My technique for expansion was to use 3rd/10th tests to retain the beat speed relationships and uneven progression up to about C7 and down to about A1. At the same time, octaves and double octave would sound clean. When finished, 10th progressions would confirm that the temperament was reasonably retained for a reasonable wide range.

The client was fascinated with the results until she tried to play a Schubert piece in F# major. She agreed that this example did not work well but most other pieces she tried sounded good, especially those in C major!

Upon reflection, I wonder if the choice of Young's may have been too strong. Also, I wonder if the correct approach for expansion would have been to balance 12th and 15ths which would have smoothed out the temperament relationship towards equal towards the outer octaves. I was also concerned about the lack of inharmonicity compensation within the temperament octave, although in practice it did not seem to matter. However, the client requested a definitive temperament for evaluation and that is what I delivered.

The experience allowed me for the first time to intentionally tune unequal and to hear the results on a real piano rather than from recordings. May I also point out that the musical culture in this part of the world has practically no interest normally in being specific about historical temperament.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2159399 - 09/28/13 10:30 PM Re: Tuned my first UT [Re: Chris Leslie]
Cinnamonbear Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
What a cool experience! Thanks for sharing that, Chris! Personally, I like the way you describe your decision-making process and how you collaborated with your client.

As to F# maj., I wonder... About the tuning you developed based on the temperament you started with, here is a thought: "it is what it is." (In the remodeling/building trades, sometimes we say that--"it is what it is.") Meaning, you tuned it right, and the temperament showed itself. So, your thought, "maybe a milder temperament would work better," is a fair one. Also, sometimes, in the remodeling/building trades, we use the expression, "Puttin' lipstick on a pig." grin (I'm not saying that that's what you were doing, just saying that it is a useful expression to keep in mind! blush )

Did your client have Internet access? The accutuner manuals can be accessed online: here. Headslap moment? LOL! I have them about five times a day--when I get home and the day is done... laugh With online access, you could get to rollingball, too! wink

Thank you so much for this post, Chris. It's a good one! You'll have another chance to work with this client, right? (That is the most important question! smile )

--Andy

#2159903 - 09/30/13 02:31 AM Re: Tuned my first UT [Re: Chris Leslie]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Thanks for your comments Andy. Yes, the client had internet access and that is how she came up quickly with Young's specs. I didn't think of looking for the Accu-tuner manual, but then that may have appeared a bit unprofessional perhaps.

Buy the way, the piano was an 1906 August Forster upright with reconditioned action - replaced hammers and dampers etc.

#2160666 - 10/01/13 11:43 PM Re: Tuned my first UT [Re: Chris Leslie]
Cinnamonbear Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
I'm sorry I killed your thread, Chris! I hope some others will respond/reply to your initial posting...

As far as being "unprofessional," that depends entirely on the specifics of the interpersonal relationship that you have with your client. In some cases: no go. In some cases: go! It is a judgement call of the moment. grin That you didn't ask is, to me, an indication that the answer in this case was: "no go!" And that is fair enough! smile

--Andy

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (Anticlock, Atrys, Art_Vandelay, Augustina, 29 invisible), 1268 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156347 Topics
2296296 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
08/02/14 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
08/01/14 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
08/01/14 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
08/01/14 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
08/01/14 07:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission