2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
On my HP-505, which has only 5 steps to adjust how the speed of pressing a key is translated on the sound put out (instead of the much finer adjustment in even 100 steps on the HP-507 or LX-15), the lightest setting feels so light that nobody should ever have a problem to press down the keys quick enough (hitting the keys heavy enough) to fully make use of all available dynamic and timbre changes provided.
When playing with the heaviest setting (5th), I feel that my untrained hands get a little bit tired after 90 minutes and to play ff is only posible if hitting the keys really hard (brutally hard). For me the 5 settings are just enough. I am nowadays usually using the 4th or 5th (the heavy) setting and no more the (neutral/default) 3rd, because my teacher advised me to do so. My teacher compares the 4th weight level to her Bechstein grand, and commented that it would be much lighter than her upright piano. So I now started to play 5th weight level to be better prepared to once play well on an acoustic piano as well. By the way, my own tests in piano shops showed me the same: the PHA-III keys compare well to expensive (light) grand piano keys, but less to the heavier upright keys.
So, as the ROLAND PHA-III action of my HP-505 and your candidate LX-15 feature light but very profesional keybeds, I wouldn´t expect you to make any mistake going for the LX-15 in respect of the keybed choice. If you have so much money to spend for the luxury look, instead of staying economic with a HP-505 which allows you the same musicality is a different aspect, then.

F
OP Offline
F
So, realizing that all of you are right in advising me to actually PLAY the DP I've been interested in, I took myself to the only Roland dealer within reasonable driving distance. He did not have the LX-15 in stock, nor did he have the 507 or anything similar. Moreover, he would only put one IN stock if I were to pay 50% down and agree to take it when it arrived. I expressed reluctance to commit to something I'd only seen a picture of, never actually sat down at. He said, basically, well, that's the store policy.

He and I did not get along AT ALL.

So I left him fawning over someone test-driving one of his acoustic grands, and went to the Yamaha dealer, whom I found to be most reasonable and to actually have some attractive DP models in stock.

Surprise: I was able to handle the keyboard on the Clavinova CVP 5-0-something-or-other, but all the LED displays reminded me of an airplane cockpit or something. This I could only have discovered by--yes, you are all right--sitting down to "play."

However, the lovely little polished ebony CLP 430 felt, looked much friendlier. I know it's not the highest-tech touch-and-sound marvel out there, but I could manage the key action all right, and its beautiful cabinet, its minimalist DP design spoke to me. PLUS, the dealer treated me with respect, not scorn.

So I wrote out my check then and there.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I'm very pleased that you got your happy ending, Fiveness. smile Let us know how things progress with your new piano.

(Rather baffling attitude from your Roland guy though. He didn't deserve to get your business)

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yamaha has the best dealer network in the business.

Their professional marketing, sales and distribution management with high standards for dealers and fine geographical coverage allows them to sell products when and where others such as Roland (and Kawai with their out of control independent distributors and marginal dealers) can not.

F
OP Offline
F
Well, my experience with Yamaha certainly confirms that.

Interestingly, and as an aside, when I told them my house was in the middle of a remodel, they counseled me to postpone delivery until all the dust had settled--literally. That was a factor I hadn't thought of.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations to your deal on the new piano Fiveness!! Please post pictures when you get the piano.

Last edited by Amaruk; 03/29/13 08:32 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you, Amaruk and ando, for the congratulations. I certainly shall post pics, as soon as the remodel mayhem subsides and I can bring The New Piano into our home. Quixotic or not, I do keenly anticipating trying to coax music from those keys. And the headphones? All the better NOT to hear you with, my dear!

F
OP Offline
F
[Linked Image]
My Clavinova CLP 450. We're still getting acquainted, but I've yet to need the headphones. Favorite voice: Grand Piano 3, Bright, Hall 1. Lovely resonance and clarity. I can't manage an octave reach with the damaged right hand, and Andante is more comfortable than Presto, but once again music fills my home. All you who play for the joy of it knows what that feels like.

I assume that is the 430? There is no 450 and you mentioned 430 earlier. I just acquired a 440 myself, and after a day of getting accustomed to the sound compared to my old Arius, I am satisfied. I do wish the included bench was adjustable, though. Odd that the manual implies the standard bench is adjustable when it is not.

I also like the piano 3 sound, but I tend to stay on 1. I feel as I increase in skill and experience, I will be more knowledgable as to when to use the different sounds.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
F
OP Offline
F
You are absolutely correct: it is the 430.

Curious thing about that beautiful polished ebony case: you'd think it would be a real dust-collector, but I never see a speck on it. Anybody know why?

F
OP Offline
F
Re using the different "sounds"—to me it comes down to this: which voice best enhances your own sense of musicality (that native, expressive rhetorical arc of the composition)? This ineffable essence of Song, without which one is merely playing notes, depends upon a relationship between the intentions of the composer, the sensibilities of the pianist, and the capabilities of the piano. With each playing, that triad is created anew, for better or for worse.

I like what my Clavinova is doing for me.

M
M
Hi there, I am a long time lurker in this forum. I have returned to piano playing after almost a ten year break and I am hoping to sit a trinity diploma in June 2014. I found this post after search for LX-15. Fiveness, I am in a very similar position to you, I have chronic tendinitis. Still I manage to play for 3-5 hours a day with stretching and using a cream that has glycerine tinitrate.

We have an upright old KAWI, which I totally adore, it's a yucky brown piano scratches and has taken a good beating during its lifetime as a school piano. The action on it is really good for me and without it I don't think I could play for the length of time I need. We also have a Yamaha CLP 130, which is a nightmare to play on. We live in an apt, so having a good digital really would help me as I could practise in silence.

We went piano shopping and I have found two models that I am seriously considering, the Roland LX-15 and the Kawai CA95. I really like both pianos, and there is a sale with 21% off that ends tomorrow. I really like the Roland, and I gave it a good going over the shop yesterday for almost an hour. The man in the shop was really great and he showed me the touch setting and I found that turning it down to 22% was the touch setting that was best for me. I also have to admit that it looks like a beautiful piano! Which is a bit of a seller for me. The kawai is wonderful from a touch perspective, it is also cheaper by $15000! I know that I am paying extra for looks, but it is nice. I just don't want to make a mistake, it's a lifetime buy, and as all of you know digitals have an almost next to nothing resale value.

Can anyone add their two cents to this, would love to know what you think. Thanks Jen confused

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Mrs Rabbit, Jen, what about the sound of the two DP's? Was there a preference? If you preferred the Roland, since you like the cabinet, that's the one, despite the price. If you preferred the Kawai, it's not so clear to me what your choice should be. Does your heart, dreams, rabbit ears, anything else help?

I
I
Jen -

The only caveat I give is: Be certain that the thumping on the Roland doesn't bother you. The Rolands (especially the console units, as compared to the portables) are notorious for the thumping sound that is made by the keys -- even to the point of some members of this forum having their downstairs neighbors complain. I myself had Roland HP 302 - in the store I didn't mind the thumping, but at home I played with volume lower, as well as with headphones, and the thumping was a deal breaker at low volume playing.

Last edited by Info2011; 09/27/13 05:55 PM. Reason: grammar
M
M
Hi SpanishBudda and Info2011, thanks so much for your replies, Ireally appreciate it! My bunny ears do long for the Roland as I do like the sound, it has more of a grand piano sound to me. The sound of the keys playing doesn't bother me, I don't think I would bother the neighbours compared to the sound of Beethovens Pathetique being blasted at the moment.

I am more worried about the action. The action in our digital Yamaha CLP 130 is really unplayable for me. It's ridiculous as we have a digital piano that we bought 10 years ago that I can't play! But from what I can tell digital pianos have come a long way since then. I watch a YouTube video least night and the guy on it (not employed by Roland) said that the LX-15 is even recommended for diploma exams. Does anyone here have that information ? Is it true?

Thanks again for your thoughts as I will need to buy it today or tomorrow! There is a lot of money off the LX-15 and I need to move quick.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mrs Rabbit, both the LX-15 and CA95 are excellent digital pianos.

The CA95 competes primarily with the Roland HP-507 and Yamaha CLP-480.
The LX-15, meanwhile, is a polished ebony version of the HP-507, hence the higher price.
If you prefer the action (and sound?) of the CA95, but the appearance of the LX-15, I wonder if it maybe worthwhile to consider the Kawai CS10?

This model is based on the CA95, but the cabinet design is based on the K-2 acoustic upright. SGBell recently posted some great shots of his/her new CS10 in this thread.

Best of luck with your decision!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Hi everyone, many thanks for your replies. We did go in to the music shop yesterday and we bought the LX-15. I spent most of yesterday freaking out if I made the right decision because of my hand issues, but today I feel as if I made the right choice. I found the touch setting really great and since they are highly adjustable I think it will get alot of use. I would be delighted if I was able to play 1/2 and 1/2 practice time with my upright and it sure will help alot when my husband is working nights. Not to mention "sleeping beauty" next door (she does work nights too poor woman).

I am planning to start off slow with it and do 30 mins a day and work from there.

So my dream piano is being delivered on Tuesday!I will post some pics smile

thanks everyone, Jen

D
D
Fiveness -- Congradulations on your new digital -- glad you found an instrument that works for you.

I have Fibromyalgia Syndrome which affects all muscule groups, including the hands -- and I have arthritis in my left thumb -- so I can relate to overcoming difficulties. I've been working with a neuro-massage therapist for the last year or so and she has managed to help straighten out many undesirable adaptations I have made over the last thirty years of constant pain -- I did not think anything could ever restore normal movement to my right arm and shoulder -- but she did it -- I am greatful my Nurse Practitioner recommended her.

I am currently studying with a teacher using an early intermediate piano method series and late elementary supplementary etudes and pieces. The exercises that have helped me the most to begin to tame the weaker, uncooperative fingers of my left hand were developed by Terrance Rust -- here is a link to his books. .

I am working with Piano Games Book 1 -- the first section -- it's a slow process but both my teacher and I can see the progress as it translates to my playing. Because you have played before and your problems may differ from mine you may need some of his other exercises -- my friend who has been a professional muscian all her life was helped by some work in the Intermediate Book 1 when she needed to heal a badly injured hand and because now that she's older her hands don't always work like they used to. The Intermediate Book 1 actually contains all the exercises from Piano Games 1 and 2 plus many more types of exercises -- the notation in the Intermediate book is in 16ths instead of eights and the notation is much smaller, but those are the only differences so for you this could be the better book if you decide to try these out. It is best to play all of them very slowly, paying attention to what your fingers and hands are doing -- and even hands separate if there is a real difference between the functioning of the two hands.

Enjoy your new instrument and the journey.
God Bless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission