Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
123 registered (36251, accordeur, Adypiano, A Guy, 32 invisible), 1517 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
Topic Options
#2159433 - 09/29/13 12:43 AM KAWAI K3 MUTE PEDAL OR YAMAHA NU1? PLEASE HELP
BOREGARD Offline

Situation: I want the feel and tone of a real acoustic piano but I need to be able to mute the sound for late-night practice. I cannot afford a Yamaha Silent Piano. Choice is between a Kawai K3 acoustic upright or a Yamaha NU1. Does anyone have issues with the K3 mute pedal? I tried one and it so muted the sound and dampened the action a bit I was disappointed. Then tried a Yamaha NU1 hybrid. It does not have the same feel and sound as the real acoustic K3 but it does have a headphone option for late night practice. Would prefer the K3 but unsure if the mute pedal is going to be such a big negative I should go with the NU1 instead. Any input or opinions about which I should go with will be much appreciated. Is the mute pedal on the K3 that bad? A big decision. And no, I cannot afford both.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2159438 - 09/29/13 01:45 AM Re: KAWAI K3 MUTE PEDAL OR YAMAHA NU1? PLEASE HELP [Re: BOREGARD]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
If you are able to practice mostly at loud acoutic piano volume and only once in a while need to be quiet, go with the acoustic with mute pedal. Acoustic is still better than any DP. If you need to practice mostly with the mute pedal, forget it. Get the NU1. The mute pedal is an inadequate solution for anything other than the occasional. With the mute pedal, the resonance of the acoustic piano is mostly muted, which is a major benefit of having a real acoustic over the NU1 to begin with. Also, the mute pedal alters the feel of the action, and if used all the time, you could develop the habit of pounding on the keyboard harder than you otherwise would without it. If I had to practice on my upright with its mute pedal more than 50% of the time, I would replace it with the NU1. It's a no brainer.

Another alternative is to get an acoustic upright anyway but ask your tech to replace the felt with something a lot thinner. That way, it doesn't mute the piano all that much, perhaps just enough to not get in trouble with the neighbors. The felt would wear out much faster, but it's better than the standard ones Kawai provides, which mutes the piano far too much but last a long time. In any case, you should use the mute pedal knowing exactly how your playing should sound without it, meaning, you need to have practiced a lot without the mute pedal. Otherwise, if you practice to sound correctly with the mute pedal, your playing will sound all messed up without it. The mute pedal is particularly handy if I need to practice a forte passage of say 6 to 8 measures for 30 minutes to an hour straight. Without the mute pedal, I either go deaf or my family wants to hurt me.

#2159584 - 09/29/13 10:55 AM Re: KAWAI K3 MUTE PEDAL OR YAMAHA NU1? PLEASE HELP [Re: 4evrBeginR]
BOREGARD Offline

Thank you so much for this great advice. The idea about replacing the thick factory felt with something thinner is spot on.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone have a burglar step on his grand piano?
by swampwiz
11/21/14 07:16 PM
Casio px-150
by Eddyaknow
11/21/14 05:50 PM
Advice for a returner
by tried42long
11/21/14 03:40 PM
Humidity and condensation
by Phil Greenough
11/21/14 03:37 PM
CA95 - Midi - Play From Usb Stick
by McBuster
11/21/14 03:33 PM
Forum Stats
76999 Members
42 Forums
159252 Topics
2339409 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission