Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2159567 - 09/29/13 10:05 AM Moonlight Sonata - pedaling
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Hi there fellow ABFers. I'm working on the famous 1st movement of Beethoven´s Moonlight Sonata. On the sheet music it says con ped. which means with pedal.

But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hold the pedal down through all the piece or at the beginning of each new chord, and then of course lift it between chords.

Which is it, anyone who's tried the 1st movement (must be?) I'm working from Gilbert de Benedetti´s arrangement, this one here:

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/Level4/4Moonlig.pdf

As MIDI:

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/Level4/4Moonlig.mid

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2159571 - 09/29/13 10:19 AM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Just do it based on how it sounds on your piano. The pedals of Beethoven's time were much less resonant/lasting.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2159582 - 09/29/13 10:52 AM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
PhilzPiano Offline

Loc: UK
I'm not a teacher but I have learned this piece to the best of my current ability! My advice would be to take the plunge and learn the proper piece rather than an arrangement, as it's not as hard as you might think. As far as the pedal goes, I would quickly lift and re-apply it as you lift your left hand off the keyboard, so that the previous bass notes are cleared and the pedal is down again just before you play the next bass notes. Typically this means at the transition from one bar to the next, or in the case of your arranged piece, once every two bars. Use this as a starting point and then modify your pedalling to suit your piano.

#2159592 - 09/29/13 11:09 AM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms ln, Sverige
"Con Ped." just means to use the pedal. How it used is up the the performer (as Morodiene indicated).

What concerns me about this edition is the r.h. fingering, or at least that a more open fingering isn't written in as an alternative to the closed fingering (e.g., bar one 1 2 4 1 2 4, bar five 1 2 4 1 2 3, bar six 1 2 4 1 2 5, bar seven 1 2 5 . . . et c.).

M.

#2159620 - 09/29/13 12:10 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: Michael Sayers]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers
"Con Ped." just means to use the pedal. How it used is up the the performer (as Morodiene indicated).

What concerns me about this edition is the r.h. fingering, or at least that a more open fingering isn't written in as an alternative to the closed fingering (e.g., bar one 1 2 4 1 2 4, bar five 1 2 4 1 2 3, bar six 1 2 4 1 2 5, bar seven 1 2 5 . . . et c.).

M.
I think the fingering suggestions are fine and typical. Of course, all fingering is up to the pianist to discover what is most efficient and helpful for them, but the ones offered in here are standard, whereas yours are more personalized.

#2159634 - 09/29/13 12:39 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for your answers. PhilzPiano, the original is in C# minor and looks a little intimidating. shocked This version is in A minor, which means there aren't supposed to be any black notes. However it does contain accidentals, especially the middle part.

Edited by TheodorN (09/29/13 12:40 PM)

#2159640 - 09/29/13 12:52 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms ln, Sverige
You can hack away at the original a little at a time. It may be intimidating but if you do it you will be glad about it afterwards smile

M.

#2159785 - 09/29/13 07:03 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Listen to this lecture:
http://download.guardian.co.uk/sys-audio/Arts/Culture/2006/11/22/03_14CSharpMin.mp3

This should be a compulsory lecture for anyone before learning this sonata.

#2159793 - 09/29/13 07:24 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheodorN
This version is in A minor, which means there aren't supposed to be any black notes. However it does contain accidentals, especially the middle part.

The sound of C# minor and A minor is so different that it discounts the piece significantly if done in A minor. A minor is not so happy not so sad, but C# minor is sad and a sadness with longing and questioning. It is sad since E-major is not as sunny as C major.

#2159831 - 09/29/13 08:58 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
This version is in A minor, which means there aren't supposed to be any black notes. However it does contain accidentals, especially the middle part.

The sound of C# minor and A minor is so different that it discounts the piece significantly if done in A minor. A minor is not so happy not so sad, but C# minor is sad and a sadness with longing and questioning. It is sad since E-major is not as sunny as C major.

I'm sure if he were able to play in C# minor, he would. I don't begrudge anyone who wishes to play the A section of Fur Elise, Canon in D (which is not originally written for piano), or any other simplifications/transcriptions.

And heck, if he's playing on a digital he could use the transpose function to raise it up 4 half steps. wink

#2159835 - 09/29/13 09:10 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: Morodiene]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, yeah, you know, between you and me, while nobody else is listening, I'm kind of against the idea that anyone with less than many years at the piano even attempt this sonata especially the first two movements. Ironically, I think the 3rd movement is harder to ruin. I of course hold the minority view as demonstrated by YouTube.

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
And heck, if he's playing on a digital he could use the transpose function to raise it up 4 half steps. wink

Wow, don't even let my teacher hear that kind of talk. Transposing by pushing buttons. What is this world coming to! Hehe.

#2159844 - 09/29/13 09:22 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
Morodiene Offline

IMO, it's all about enjoyment. Even if the OP were my student and he wanted to become a professional pianist and really really wanted to play the Moonlight, but he was just a beginner and many years from being able to do it justice, I'd still give him a simplification. Enjoyment is so important to the process of learning.

#2159857 - 09/29/13 09:55 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: Morodiene]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree; it's much easier to learn something we like.

#2160006 - 09/30/13 09:47 AM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for good inputs. I've often given it a thought if one should even practise simplified versions and actually started a thread about that subject a few years (wow!) back. It seems a bit like a double effort to learn the simplified version and then the original.

Still, if we take this Moonlight Sonata in A minor, what I see in it, is that it seems a good practice in arpeggios of a few sorts, minor, major, sevenths, even some dim and sus chords. Would be an interesting task to identify all the chords. cool

Might even ditch the piece for the time being. What I most want to learn is to play contemporary music, pop/rock/blues, even jazz and country. I like some classical music, at least the popular ones in addition to MS, Blue Danube, Beethoven's, Fur Elise, Mozart's Turkish March and Pachebel's Canon to name a few. Thought that is rather a way to reach the other goal (being able to play the rock hits.)

#2166818 - 10/15/13 07:34 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Hi there fellow ABFers. I'm working on the famous 1st movement of Beethoven´s Moonlight Sonata. On the sheet music it says con ped. which means with pedal.

But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hold the pedal down through all the piece or at the beginning of each new chord, and then of course lift it between chords.

Which is it, anyone who's tried the 1st movement (must be?) I'm working from Gilbert de Benedetti´s arrangement, this one here:

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/Level4/4Moonlig.pdf

As MIDI:

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/Level4/4Moonlig.mid

I have just finished the Coursera Beethoven piano sonatas course with Jonathan Biss. He talked about this in the video lecture. Beethoven did indeed mean for the pedal to be held down throughout the movement. However, he wrote and played this on a fortepiano which creates a different effect than the modern piano- it was meant to have a hazy, almost mysterious sound but it can become fuzzy on a modern piano.
If you want to hear the difference on a fortepiano here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tattSl7O-s4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUDUmWaus3Q

I personally think this sounds so much better than on a modern piano- wait til you hear the third movement! The enotional effect on this piano is almost devastating-I almost wept on first listen! Every note leaps out and grasps your heart!!

If you are interested I have a transcript of the lecture on this sonata and how Beethoven intended it to sound.I can put it on my Box and link it, or you can PM me and I could email it you.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/15/13 07:38 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2167226 - 10/16/13 02:08 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for the links, EdwardianPiano. Those versions were both good, don't know if I've misunderstood something but weren't they both played on a fortepiano? It's obvious for the latter link, you can see the lighter color keys on top of darker ones, as the fortepianos were, the reverse of today's pianos, which have black keys on top of white ones.

I can note the difference of how a fortepiano sounds when compared to a modern piano. Not sure though if the sound is reproduced in a good way in my earbuds from a lousy MP3-player. I'd appreciate the transcript of this lecture, will PM you my email address in a few moments.

#2167375 - 10/16/13 07:07 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes they were both fortepiano- so you could get to see what they sound like. Wasn't the 3rd movement played by the woman electrifying?
They sound magnificent played on my laptop on Linux audacious (downloaded them)with enhanced stereo! When I go at the middle fo the stairs( my stairs are at the end of my lounge) sounds like a real fortepiano is being played in my lounge! Try them on big speakers...

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/16/13 07:10 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2167748 - 10/17/13 03:21 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
IreneAdler Offline

Loc: Washington
I completely understand you love for this piece, I am still head over heels in love with this piece; but why don't you work from a urtext version of the orginal piece even if it is a little daunting. I certainly was more than a bit intimidated when I begged my teacher to let me learn the 1st movement last summer. It was and still is a challenge to play correctly but therein lies the fun, playing the notes that Beethoven wrote and trying to be able to play them as well. In my opinion why put all the time and effort into learning a piece that has been transposed into a completely different key. Part of the beauty of the piece is the key, that he chose for the piece.

As far as pedaling, my teacher said that the pedal, the sustain pedal that is, should come down on the "And of 1" since you are counting in 2/2; so that the first notes are clearly heard and then sustained. If there is change in the bass notes then the pedal comes up to allow those notes to sound and then the pedal comes down again to sustain those notes.

Whatever you decide to learn, bon voyage as I always find a new piece to be akin to a journey.

#2167771 - 10/17/13 04:13 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Irene, I have just been playing my beginner's one paged version- I'm getting better at it. I have found another one paged version that has more notes on the left hand so I am going to write them on my sheet and go on with that. I like the idea of building it up.
I was listening to this sonata last night by candle light with heavy rain and thunder outside- very atmospheric! Way better than watching iplayer!
Are you going to try the second movement?

There is also a version in the classical ebook of pianoforall that I bought this morning! In fact there is quite a few of Beethoven's in there- and Chopin's too!!!
Be awhile before I get to those though- it's chords first! I shall start the first book tomorrow.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/17/13 04:17 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2167778 - 10/17/13 04:43 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: TheodorN]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is a link to free Beethoven sheet music:

http://www.all-about-beethoven.com/beethovenmusicsheet.html

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2167862 - 10/17/13 08:24 PM Re: Moonlight Sonata - pedaling [Re: EdwardianPiano]
IreneAdler Offline

Loc: Washington
I agree with you Edwardian, buliding up to piece is a interesting idea. I have tried it yet with any of my "dream pieces". I suppose I would prefer to wait than play an edited version, because of one experience I had when I was starting back to playing almost two years ago in my method book that my previous teacher was using had adaption of Chopin's "Tristesse" and I was so overjoyed to learn it; I thought in my ignorence that was the actual piece that I loved so, and when I next listened to "Tristesse" I realized my error and felt so decieved that I haven't played an edited version again. Perhaps, I am being quite silly, but there it is.

I would like to learn both the 2nd and the 3rd movements to Beethoven's Moonlight, but my teacher has been assigning another pieces, I assume he has a good reason for not mentioning the later movements. I felt lucky enough that we were able to work on the 1st movement it was such a treat, I know I wasn't really quite ready for it when we started it. I can not say I much I love playing the middle part of the first movement is sounds like cascade of water, ohh Beethoven... if a gentleman dedicated a piece of music like that sonata to me I would find it very difficult not to elope with him, who cares if society approves, Giulietta Guicciardi you missed the boat there darling.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, ando, Alux, 28 invisible), 1409 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293100 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission