2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
F
F
I didn't mean that the Nocturne was the hardest piece -.- That was the point of my post, to show that it's always right to say that the hardest piece must be the one which is less often played well...

P
P
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
I didn't mean that the Nocturne was the hardest piece -.- That was the point of my post, to show that it's always right to say that the hardest piece must be the one which is less often played well...

Oh I guess that's what happens when I comment without reading everything :P

"If I decide to be an idiot, then I'll be an idiot on my own accord."
- Johann Sebastian Bach.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PrestoConFuocco
(Usually when you really love a piece you never find a version that satisfies you, maybe that's the problem.)

Not for me.

P
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by PrestoConFuocco
(Usually when you really love a piece you never find a version that satisfies you, maybe that's the problem.)

Not for me.

Then you're a lucky fellow.

- Johann Sebastian Bach.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In fact, what usually gets me to love a piece in the first place is hearing a performance that DOES satisfy me.

P
P
That's the case for most pieces, but sometimes it's very disappointing that performers don't get as excited as you about a piece while playing. (Kind of hard to explain to somebody that never feels it... I give up.)

- Johann Sebastian Bach.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by carey
Actually, who plays anything completely satisfactorily? I can't name a pianist who I think plays Chopin's Op 48 No 1 even close to satisfactorily; is that because it's the hardest piece Chopin ever wrote?

Completely satisfactorily according to WHO ??? crazy

I'm sure if you do a little research you'll find several pianists who can do better than "close to satisfactorily" with the Opus 48 No. 1. And no - it isn't the hardest piece that Chopin ever wrote...but it IS a handful !! grin

Listened to every possible recording on youtube. Not a single one I find good enough... Maybe it's something wrong with the piece... shocked

I don't know whether I should admire the refinement and elegant discernment of those who are never satisfied with performances that they hear - even by great musicians - or whether to be sorry that it appears that you cannot fully appreciate good performances for what they are, but always find them lacking.

I, for one, must have less refinement in my demands and in my tastes than some of you, for I find that many, many performances please me to the degree that can I bask in them and enjoy them for what they are without feeling a lack in them for what they are not.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
F
F
That's great BruceD smile I just think in a way, that some pieces are of such a high order, that they are better inside your head than when heard... It's sounds weird and it's hard to explain, but often the idea is better than the reality maybe?

Last edited by Franz Beebert; 09/29/13 04:33 PM.
Online Content
How can any amateur pianist(or even a high level professional)think they know more about how a piece should sound that any of the greatest pianists?

Do you actually think that if you had the technique to do whatever you wanted your interpretation would be superior, more beautiful, more exciting, etc. than any of those recorded by even the greatest pianists?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/29/13 05:03 PM.
F
F
That's not what I am saying. I don't think you understand my point unfortunately. The whole thing about interpreting music and the difficulty about is, is to try understanding the real idea of the composer and the piece. Just as with everything; moral, ethics, art, human and god...

F
F
No I don't think that. Because the beauty is within us: I would never be able to make the piece sound the way I want even if I was the greatest pianist on earth. That's why art is hard.

Online Content
That's not what I am saying. I don't think you understand my point unfortunately. The whole thing about interpreting music and the difficulty about is, is to try understanding the real idea of the composer and the piece. Just as with everything; moral, ethics, art, human and god...
So you understand the real idea of the composer and the piece more than any of the greatest pianists?

F
F
No. But I do understand the point of music, which is that the idea is even better than reality. The idea is always one, not thousands. There is one truth. But nobody can grasp it, just imitate it.

F
F
Listen to that opera of Schoenberg! The whole message of that opera is just this(don't remember the name of the opera but maybe you know which one?): A man carries an idea, but he is not capable enough to show us his idea; so he gives the greatest interpreter of them all the job to show us this idea. But in the end, this interpreter can't, because it's not HIS idea. The idea becomes bad when shown in reality. Just like one can say that God had an idea about mankind and how mankind would be good: But in reality, mankind wasn't and isn't capable of being as good as she is in God's idea.

F
F
Have you ever read Plato? If not, do it smile

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Listen to that opera of Schoenberg! The whole message of that opera is just this(don't remember the name of the opera but maybe you know which one?): A man carries an idea, but he is not capable enough to show us his idea; so he gives the greatest interpreter of them all the job to show us this idea. But in the end, this interpreter can't, because it's not HIS idea. The idea becomes bad when shown in reality. Just like one can say that God had an idea about mankind and how mankind would be good: But in reality, mankind wasn't and isn't capable of being as good as she is in God's idea.

He composed four operas - which one are you thinking of (obviously not Moses und Aron) grin

Erwartung
Die glückliche Hand
Moses und Aron
Von heute auf morgen

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

The whole thing about interpreting music and the difficulty about it, is to try understanding the real idea of the composer and the piece.

We can try to understand the "real idea" of the composer and the piece, but only the composer knows (or knew) for sure.

I remember watching a video of Aaron Copland playing his Piano Variations. I was surprised - and just a little amused - at his interpretation of the piece. My own understanding of the work (and apparently that of other pianists I've heard play it) was a tad different than Mr. Copland's. So who's right??? grin

When Copland premiered the work himself back in 1931 at a meeting of the League of Composers in NYC, it was met with some indifference. Copland's hardness of touch seemed to alienate the critics...but apparently that's how he himself "perceived" the work - even though the written score implied something else.

Of course - this really doesn't have much to do with Beethoven....or does it??

Last edited by carey; 09/29/13 07:24 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've seen Chopin's large works ranked in groups of difficulty. Can someone do that with these Sonatas?

F
F
Originally Posted by carey
The whole thing about interpreting music and the difficulty about it, is to try understanding the real idea of the composer and the piece.

We can try to understand the "real idea" of the composer and the piece, but only the composer knows (or knew) for sure.

I remember watching a video of Aaron Copland playing his Piano Variations. I was surprised - and just a little amused - at his interpretation of the piece. My own understanding of the work (and apparently that of other pianists I've heard play it) was a tad different than Mr. Copland's. So who's right??? grin

When Copland premiered the work himself back in 1931 at a meeting of the League of Composers in NYC, it was met with some indifference. Copland's hardness of touch seemed to alienate the critics...but apparently that's how he himself "perceived" the work - even though the written score implied something else.

Of course - this really doesn't have much to do with Beethoven....or does it??
Maybe sometimes the composer doesn't even know :O(joke)

F
F
You mean Chopin's or Beethoven's Sonatas?

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission