2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello! I am a new member based in Bangkok and would really appreciate any feedback. I came across with a second-hand W. Hoffmann upright for sale from an individual. I am yet to see/play it but the piano is 20 some years' old (produced around 1990 or a little before). The serial number is 139641 and Bechstein in Germany confirmed the rough production year for me. The owner is asking for US$2000 for this. He bought it new when he was based in Europe. He has two other pianos and now selling at least one of them (according to him). I have checked some facts about this brand and seems to be of a good value. What is your view?

I studied the Piano for about 15 years when I was much younger. After a long gap of doing nothing about it (because of my relocation to Bangkok), I am now looking forward to appreciating the joy of playing the piano again. I had Yamaha U3 at home in Japan. Now I am more inclined to European pianos. My longer-term plan is to purchase a higher end grand piano but the house needs to be expanded a little before welcoming a big piano. So I resoluted that my immediate strategy should be bugyig a reasonaly-priced second hand piano in order to at least start practicing which will be necessary when going for shopping to try on various pianos.

Second-hand piano market in Bangkok is not good at all, so the price is actually super great already.

Thank you in advance!

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I haven't played their uprights, but the W. Hoffmann grands are lovely pianos. If the condition is good, my guess is that this would be a good deal, especially given your market.

As I'm sure others will recommend, you should get an independent technician to assess the condition.

1989 Baldwin R
A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you so much for your kind response. I am happy to learn a positive comment about W. Hoffmann. I have already sought an advice on a qualified technician in Bangkok from a forum member and am trying to bring him with me when trying the piano.

I love to hear more from you and any other forum members who owns W. Hoffmann piano, especially who have the uprights. I love to learn why you chose it over other pianos, etc.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I played a new W. Hoffman upright (120?)over ten years ago and was impressed with it's clear tone, smooth action and reasonable price (which I can't remember). Quality upright all around.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I own a small W. Hoffman upright (about 45 inches) with a serial number in the 131,000 range: i.e., a little earlier than the one you are contemplating. I bought it used here in Ontario from a private individual who loved German pianos, and it is superb. Fine Renner action, singing tone, and remarkable bass clarity for such a small instrument.

If you get a technician's ok and you like playing it, buy it!

A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you Rich and Peter. Your feedbacks are most encouraging and delightful. I am so excited now. I will make myself absolutely well prepared for the visit to the piano owner. Actually it is this Sunday!

H
H
Hi,

What's size is the piano?

I owned a W. Hoffmann 114 cm from 1988 to 1991, it was warm, beautiful but I prefer Yamaha U3, 131 cm of my teacher because 17 cm taller makes big difference. But my W. Hoffmann 114 sounds very different from the U3.

BTW, you have a U3 in Japan, your ears are well-trained, so please listen to your heart and taste. Another sound is maybe interesting.

At that time 1988-1991, for similar size, W.Hoffmann (made in West Germany)is better than Schimmel, Seiler, Sauter.

Please check inside the piano to see where it was made (I believe they would have something like Made in B....., West Germany if it was made in W Germany).

It seems that Hoffmann now is made in East Europe with parts from West ?

Last edited by hoola; 09/26/13 03:49 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

It seems that Hoffmann now is made in East Europe with parts from West ?

W.Hoffmann pianos' production has shifted several times in last decades.

The ones built in Germany before are different than the ones made now. I happen to know them both having fond memories from late 80's early 90's when at Piano Fischer in Stuttgart Germany

Things since have changed, read here if like:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall12/154.html

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 09/26/13 08:45 PM.

A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you so much for these additional most helpful inputs. I will definately find out more on the item when I make a visit to the piano owner this Sunday. I thank you, too, for the advice of carefully listening and feeling it as I also think that such are the important deciding factors for me now. I indeed confirmed Yamaha U3 being not bad at all, after trying out a number of pianos in one of the second-hand piano shops here. It was rather surprising as I had higher expectation on other pianos (especially those from Europe). Perhaps I am looking for a piano with a slightly lighter touch on keyboards as Yamaha keyboads are quite heavy. I was in Europe a few weeks ago and accidentally came across with Fazioli for the first time. I did not know about this piano's existence before (sorry but it is true)so you can imagine how shocking the experience was for me. The keyboards were narrower, shallower, lighter (but just right) and the tones were so sweet while giving you solid and firm feeling. I was so obsessed about it for a while and could not forget that emotion I experiences then. It became my dream piano.(I believe it is no harm dreaming!)

A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Here's some update, hoping to get more feedback from you.
I went to see the W. Hoffmann this morning, I confirmed the inscription inside "Made in Langlad, W. Germany". It looked good in general, I liked the touch and the tone as well. However, there were a several keys no longer responding! When I looked inside, the felt of those key hammers were stuck against the string. I suspect this happened because the piano has been left unattended for quite sometime. (Owner has two other pianos and not really using this one). It seems that everything can be fixed according to a technician (who will have to go there to see it on another day), and he says that I should get it if I really like it. I wonder if you endorse this, given the maintenance cost here would be quite reasonable?

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
If the owner has 3 pianos, including a fine German upright, I don't understand why at least one has fallen into such neglect that several keys don't work. That's a red flag, but not a reason to reject the purchase altogether. Is the owner a dealer, or a piano buff, or neither?

A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes I was very surprised, too, that it was totally neglected. The owner has a daughter who studied the piano at university/conservatoire. The other two pianos are 1)Yamaha grand and 2)Kawai upright. He does not play the piano himself. Perhaps they think W. Hoffmann can go because it is the oldest and not being used by them any more. He told me that since his daughter is moving out, they want to get rid of at least one of them.

A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I failed to mention that the owner is neigher a dealer or a piano buff. He is just the father of a pianist.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Sounds very fixable to me, as the technician says. I wouldn't be put off by it.

1989 Baldwin R
A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just to report to you that my second-hand W. Hoffmann was safely delivered to my house yesterday! It is a 120-cm high upright and I feel I made the right choice because I confirm that I generally like the tone and the action. The bass clarity, indeed, is very attractive. Thank you so much for those kindly given me feedback. It is wonderful to be near the piano once again.

However, I have a few questions. It has not yet been tuned properly but my concern at the moment (which I did not quite notice when I tried it earlier) is that certain keys do not respond well when using a sustain pedal. Could this be a common problem when a piano has been neglected for a long time? Also I wish if the high-pitch notes could sound better, I mean they sound a bit like hitting an iron board at the moment (sorry for my English, I do not know how else I can describe this). I wonder if the tuner can fix/adjust all of these? Or do I need to replace felts or some items in the mechanical part of the piano? Or should I forget about these, as these may be something that I need to bear with, given the condition/character of this piano?

Online Content
Congratulations on your new-to-you W. Hoffmann upright piano!

Yes, a skilled pinao tech should be able to address the issues you mentioned.

It's been my experience that when you buy an older piano, it will not perform like a brand new one; however, improvements can usually be made by a good paino technician.

Post pictures when you can! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your purchase. A good technician should greatly improve the touch and tone of your fine upright. I have a 25 year old well maintained Bechstein upright which sounds and plays as good as new (or close enough). Enjoy.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Congrats!!

I am sure that you will enjoy your piano as much as I enjoy mine.

All the best,
Romek

W. Hoffmann V120/Vario
KAWAI ES-8
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Bravo for your purchase! Now find a worthy local piano technician and spend a few extra dollars to bring this instrument up to code.

A
ayaya Offline OP
OP Offline
A
So releived and happy to learn of your positive comments. I will certainly invest into a well qalified technician and try to spend time with him communicate with him well and clearly as to my wishes. Nice to learn Romek enjoys W. Hoffman V120. You are from Poland? It is a wonderful country where I have a very fond memory from (and the home of K. Zimmerman)!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission