Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2159900 - 09/30/13 02:16 AM The more practice the smarter you get...
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2159905 - 09/30/13 02:52 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I hope that learning to play an instrument helps to fight Alzheimer's!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#2159908 - 09/30/13 02:56 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: Michael Taylor]
Newman Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I tend to believe it. The cognitive processes involved must be of benefit

#2159916 - 09/30/13 03:56 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Quote:
Participants who had spent more quality time with their instruments had “a better ability to detect errors and conflicts, and a reduced reactiveness to these detected problems.”

I like that: cultivating your ability to know when you've messed up, but without letting it mess you up further.

I can see why "reduced reactiveness to... detected problems" is associated with having spent more time seriously making music. It's a skill which has definitely taken it's time to grow within me, but I am finally finding myself getting better at releasing attachment to mistakes already past.

For some reason, that makes me think of this great video, of Chick Corea practising Bach. I love how he relates to his mistakes, as interesting opportunities to know the music better.

neglected piano blog

#2159923 - 09/30/13 04:13 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Could be right. Downside is, if you`re crazy to begin with . . . .musicians do have a reputation same as artists etc. It`s in their blood; artistic temperament.

Unfortunately, my Great Wise and Wonderful One doesn`t go along with this.

""

#2159946 - 09/30/13 06:25 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Quite interesting.

“the present findings suggest that playing a musical instrument might improve the ability to monitor our behavior, and adjust our responses effectively when needed.”

"Improve" means you have already this ability, right?

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

#2159962 - 09/30/13 07:44 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: CarlosCC]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

You could be starting from a baseline of zero ability and improve to a level of ability greater than zero.

#2159970 - 09/30/13 08:19 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: peterws
Could be right. Downside is, if you`re crazy to begin with . . . .musicians do have a reputation same as artists etc. It`s in their blood; artistic temperament.

Unfortunately, my Great Wise and Wonderful One doesn`t go along with this.
LOL! It's true. That is why my husband is not a musician. There can only be one insane person in this relationship, and it's me! laugh
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2159971 - 09/30/13 08:20 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Yes, I believe it. I think it goes along with the common medical knowledge of divergent thinking in general. That is that children are very good at it. As people age. They lose that. Older people generally lack divergent thinking entirely. I think it has to do with how a person uses their brain. This case seems to support that.

#2160003 - 09/30/13 09:42 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: malkin]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

You could be starting from a baseline of zero ability and improve to a level of ability greater than zero.

Yes, it's true.
Or, you could be starting from a baseline grater than zero and improve to a higher level with ease.
What I mean is that you can practice over and over a task - and you'll see progress, of course! -, but it's better to born with some kind of "natural ability". It just turns the job easier and softer.

CarlosCC records

#2160005 - 09/30/13 09:44 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: rnaple]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Quote:
Re: The more practice the smarter you get...

Not sure practice shifts one's IQ upwardly grin .. likely not or not much.

Didn't see right brain/left brain or ear playing/sight reading distinctions mentioned, but I would say playing music any way that is enjoyable for you has to have a payoff ... like maybe being able to quickly refer a journalist to someone I know who has a mind like a steel trap. whome

Edited by Rerun (09/30/13 11:40 AM)

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2160013 - 09/30/13 10:06 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]

I am not sure if practice makes aging slower or making us smarter. But experience of music performance does seem to develop interesting skills.

The article made me think about it since I experienced car brake failure recently. I was coming home from Dog park and approaching the light. There were 3 cars parked there in front of me. I was driving slow, around 30. As soon as I pressed the brake to stop, I realized that it does not work. I was sliding. I pumped, put incredible pressures on and it did not work. I looked around the car and changed the gear to PARK position and continue to press the brake with all my might. The car finally stopped. it probably took fraction of a second. I was amazed how quickly I took all these actions. I did not panic and felt like I had infinite amount of time. Compared with performance where I often had to figure out a way to cover up my mistakes (or think where to jump to) in a fraction of the time and move on...

I did not have this ability until recently. I used not to be coordinated and it was one of many reasons my parents thought piano was good for me.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2160028 - 09/30/13 10:48 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
Psychonaut Offline

Yeah, I probably believe there is some truth to this, though the article implies the same, tired presumptive "correlation = causality" fallacy you can find every day if you read "Studies show..." news reports.

It's quite likely that people who log 5000 hours of sustained focus on a musical instrument are merely manifesting an already existent desire and ability to do so, too.

#2160030 - 09/30/13 10:50 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
(...)I looked around the car and changed the gear to PARK position and continue to press the brake with all my might. The car finally stopped.

Nice move! thumb

CarlosCC records

#2164464 - 10/10/13 02:08 PM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
I found it interesting that both the Stroop and Simon tasks require the test subject to quickly process material that could be inherently confusing: The word "red" written in blue, left-handed tasks showing up on the right side of the screen, etc. Learning to read music and play an instrument poses similar difficulties. The eyes must read two (or more) staves of music, often ahead of the hands. Either hand might need to play notation from either staff. The hands have to learn to move independently, playing completely different notes, tempos, etc. Not to mention all the different key signatures, use of accidentals, grace notes, dynamics, etc.

To my mind, it's not surprising that musically trained/adept individuals would respond well to the tasks used in this study. I think it would be interesting to see how those skilled in quite different areas — engineers or athletes for instance — would do with the same tasks.

This sort of research fascinates me. Here's to future studies that prove reading and discussing articles about brain research helps to preserve/improve cognitive abilities. smile

---

tangleweeds, thanks very much for the Chick Corea video. It's like a four-minute lesson in how to practice piano. I used to practice the same thing over and over, and make the same mistakes over and over, until I realized I was simply practicing (and ingraining) my mistakes. Oops. Going more slowly helps, but I still tend to just play through flubs without really understanding how/what I've played incorrectly. It's inspirational how consistently and quickly Corea stops to figure out what needs fixing and how he then corrects/replays, often more slowly, until he eliminates every single flub completely. He's certainly not practicing his mistakes!

#2164492 - 10/10/13 03:40 PM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
Sweet06 Offline

haha farm girl. i attribute all my video games to my similar reflexes!! the guy in front of me slammed his breaks on and time suddenly slowed down. i looked around my entire car, hit the breaks, turned to the left (car to the right of me) and completely avoided what could have been a serious accident all in under a second im sure. very scary!!

#2164643 - 10/10/13 11:16 PM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: Sweet06]

Originally Posted By: Sweet06
haha farm girl. i attribute all my video games to my similar reflexes!! the guy in front of me slammed his breaks on and time suddenly slowed down. i looked around my entire car, hit the breaks, turned to the left (car to the right of me) and completely avoided what could have been a serious accident all in under a second im sure. very scary!!

Sweet06,
Should we dare to say "Piano saves life!" ?
We may be featured in the next articles.
Next thing we know, we may be interviewed on CNN.
Well then Steinway may want to sponsor a special program.
Wow this is big. I'm excited now.

#2164781 - 10/11/13 09:26 AM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: peterws]
Greener Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: peterws
Could be right. Downside is, if you`re crazy to begin with . . .

#2164871 - 10/11/13 12:44 PM Re: The more practice the smarter you get... [Re: FarmGirl]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (36251, Almaviva, ADWyatt, accordeur, 28 invisible), 1166 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251159 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission