Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2160066 - 09/30/13 12:42 PM Slowing down video playback without changing pitch
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
I wondered what people are using for slowing down video playback without changing pitch, these days. There's a thread from a about three years ago but maybe things have changed.

I know Windows Media player will do half speed. I have something called SloMo Director. Functionally it's fine: you can pick your playback speed, you can pick your start and stop points and you can loop. But the user interface is terrible: there's no way to start and stop without picking up the mouse. And sat at the keyboard or with a guitar in hand, I just want to swat the space bar rather than picking up the mouse and clicking on a tiny button. You can't even leave the mouse over the pause button because hitting pause a second time doesn't restart playback.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2160074 - 09/30/13 12:56 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I gave up on Windows media player soon after getting the computer. Couldn`t fathom it out what with stupid play-lists and all that.

A good one (free I think) is Videopad. You can do so much on it, including some audio editing as well as video editing for a couple of soundtracks. It`s dead easy to use or I wouldn`t do it. You`ll enjoy it.

""

#2160085 - 09/30/13 01:29 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Are you talking about slowing down only the video, not the sound? Is that at all possible? The VLC media player can slow down picture and sound (the audio and video tracks stay synced with each other) with two speeds up and two down, apart from normal speed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2160094 - 09/30/13 01:49 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- VLC player, definitely. I use this all the time for changing the playback speed while keeping pitch unchanged. Speech works very well but you tend to get artifacts on music which can make it sound very weird indeed. But the control is excellent. You have a number of coarse settings, 66%, 50%, 33, 25 additionaly an option to increase or reduce in 10% increments.
Also I'm pretty sure VLC defaults to the space bar (start/stop) unlike WMP which has steadfastly refused to accomodate what everyone in the world wants (it's the SPACE BAR, STUPID!). Also, if you want to assign control for other functions look at the hotkey settings in the options menu - you can set it up however you like....it'll loop as well.
Great media player!

#2160106 - 09/30/13 02:21 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
If you're looking for just the audio portion, the free Audacity sound and recording program does a great job of slowing down and speeding up music to an arbitrary degree without changing the pitch.

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Debussy Images #1 "Reflets dans L'eau"
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2160195 - 09/30/13 06:54 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
de cajon Offline

Originally Posted By: TheodorN
Are you talking about slowing down only the video, not the sound? Is that at all possible?

It is actually quite hard to describe what's wanted. The ears work differently to the eyes. Video is an illusion that our eyes are happy with. It's easy to arrange visual slow motion. And that's part of what I want. I want to slow down someone's fingers on the keyboard or the guitar where the sheet music isn't available or is laughably far from what the artist was actually doing. Then I can hopefully work out what they're playing, as my ears aren't good enought to work out what they're doing from the sound.

But if I slow down the visuals in a trivial way then my ears perceive a pitch change in the audio. Visual recordings are discrete. But audio recordings are (quasi) continuous. [Gosh, it is hard to describe.]

So, we want software that increases the gap between audio events; we don't want simple squeezing or stretching we want a clever chopping out of samples such that the "notes" have greater separation but each note's pitch isn't changed. Because as I play along, wondering if I've correctly figured out what's being played, I want the pitch of my notes to match (or not if I'm wrong) the pitch of the played notes.

---

So. Thanks all. I've downloaded VLC and have started to play with it. The controls are definitely much better than my current solution. But the audio artefacts are indeed worse than my current one. Easily liveable with though. I haven't yet found looping and loop points.

#2160252 - 09/30/13 11:57 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Try Transcribe! From seventh string.

#2160253 - 09/30/13 11:59 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I also use Transcribe. Great software, does everything I need it to.

neglected piano blog

#2160256 - 10/01/13 12:09 AM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: de cajon
I haven't yet found looping and loop points.

- it works well, down to a fraction of a sec but it's not the best implementation. Make sure you have view/advanced controls checked. You'll get lots of little control icons. Look for the one like an upturned 'U' with a pair of boots on. Hover over it and click once for point A and again for point B.

#2160344 - 10/01/13 06:52 AM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
de cajon Offline

Well, I've tried VLC side-by-side with Transcribe! It looks like Transcribe! wins hands-down. I shall almost certainly be willing to stump up $39 when the trial expires.

The audio quality when slowed down is better with fewer artefacts. I like that it plays mp4 files straight off. My old solution required me to convert files to wmv. And being able to save multiple and marked sections looks very useful. And I haven't even got to note and chord guessing yet.

I was initially disappointed that the spacebar resumed playback from the beginning each time, but the keys are customizable and it was easy to make spacebar pause-resume. Being able to map pedals to start, pause, etc. looks like it might be great.

#2160351 - 10/01/13 07:23 AM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

- for sure, if you're prepared to stump up some cash you're generally going to find something superior - transcribe seems to be custom designed for the job you're trying to do (transcribing?)

When I was learning a foreign language and I found VLC to be indispensable for watching films and slowing both video and audio down with almost no artifacts at all (speech doesn't seem to suffer anything like as much)..and of course it's free.
Best of luck with your new toy!

#2160401 - 10/01/13 09:38 AM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
de cajon Offline

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
... for sure, if you're prepared to stump up some cash you're generally going to find something superior ...

I'm not sure I will be able to justify paying $39, which is a little more than that kind of software usually goes for, when there's something very usable for free. I'll see how I feel in 30 days.
Originally Posted By: dire tonic
...transcribe seems to be custom designed for the job you're trying to do (transcribing?)...

I'm using it for learning and transcribing. When learning modern songs, the sheet music is inevitably rubbish for both piano and guitar, and the tabs/chords aren't enough. So I'll get something like Somewhere Only We Know on the piano, or Casey's Last Ride on the guitar (the two modern piece projects of the moment) from some kind soul on YouTube who's kindly done all the hard work and videoed their fingers at work. When it's a finger-pick like Casey's Last Ride, I typically won't remember things like the turnarounds, so I'll transcribe them into tablature in Sibelius. And with Somewhere Only We Know, I definitely won't remember all the variations, so I'll transcribe it into stave in Sibelius.

#2160432 - 10/01/13 11:32 AM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
My attention was caught by this thread. I want to train my ear, so the auditory part, and I'm too slow in catching what whizzes by. I saw VLC mentioned and it turns out that I have it. I'm not sure how to use it though, if I want to listen to something that is on the Internet - say Youtube for example. I see a number of options under media. I am pretty backward in this area.

#2160437 - 10/01/13 11:45 AM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
de cajon Offline

YouTube can be awkward if you're not used to downloads and file formats. People take various approaches. I installed a plugin for my Firefox web browser - called DownloadHelper. When I'm watching something on YouTube, I use the plugin to download the video to someplace on my hard disk.

VLC is pretty clever, it will accept most formats including the regular YouTube format, .flv, whereas with my previous solution I then had to convert the format.

Then you just go into Media in VLC, choose Open File and then navigate to where you stored the downloaded file.

Presumably you won't mind seeing the video as well as hearing the audio. If not, then you can use a converter, like AnyVideoConverter to change the .flv into an .mp3

I see that VLC can also open a stream; although I didn't try it myself. I like to have a copy on my disk. But if you copy the youtube video's URL (address) from your browser address bar, you could try VLC's Media|Open Network Stream and paste the URL in. It does mean you're using up your network connection bandwidth each time though.

#2160439 - 10/01/13 11:47 AM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Thanks, de cajon. I've gotten it to work by downloading.

#2160515 - 10/01/13 02:50 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: de cajon

So, we want software that increases the gap between audio events; we don't want simple squeezing or stretching we want a clever chopping out of samples such that the "notes" have greater separation but each note's pitch isn't changed. Because as I play along, wondering if I've correctly figured out what's being played, I want the pitch of my notes to match (or not if I'm wrong) the pitch of the played notes.

Then Audacity is your program. It has functions that do exactly that. Just specify the speed (in percent) that you want and, viola, it slows down the audio with no change in pitch:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Debussy Images #1 "Reflets dans L'eau"
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2160528 - 10/01/13 03:51 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: de cajon]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Long, long ago, I remember a problem with Audacity needing to take time to convert the file to play properly pitched at a lower speed. Does it now do that real-time?

neglected piano blog

#2160600 - 10/01/13 08:40 PM Re: Slowing down video playback without changing pitch [Re: tangleweeds]
Rob Mullins Offline

Loc: LA CA
I use mac stuff for that and it works great if you know how to use the programs.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, Alex Hernandez, Almaviva, Adam Coleman, 48 invisible), 1598 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153580 Topics
2250848 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
04/19/14 01:17 PM
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission