Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2162468 - 10/06/13 10:14 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Augustina - Amazing playing. It sounds like a very difficult piece to play.

Ladypane - Loved it! You play fantastic and for this to be an original is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Riddler - What a treat! I really like how you bring out the musical joy in the piece like this. Great job Ed!!

Brent - Great playing and singing! I like it in the tempo you use here. Thanks for sharing!

David - Great pieces and great playing! Loved them both!! is that a real turtle on the piano in your first video?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2162469 - 10/06/13 10:16 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

My contribution this month is 'May it Be' by Enya from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

I perform it here using my own (simple) arrangement as I learned this song by ear. It is very fun to learn songs by ear. While it sure takes more time, I think it helps me understanding music theory better. Halloween is around the corner so I decided to have some extra fun with the video… smile

#2163061 - 10/07/13 03:55 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amaruk,

That's a lovely tune, it deserves a "simple" and open expression like your arrangement. Very nice.

No idea how you came up with that video to go with it but wow!

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2163095 - 10/07/13 05:19 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
That piano sounded nearly as good as your Rolands . . . .Enya wrote (or performed) some strange sounding music. Ideal for soundtracks. Excellent work, man!

""

#2163109 - 10/07/13 05:46 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Good work, Amaruk. (I was hoping you might play that red keyboard device)

#2163138 - 10/07/13 07:14 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for your kind words Brent, Peter, and Newman.

The piano I am playing is in fact my Roland LX15... I just thought it would be fun to play a Bösendorfer concert grand for a change... Like the say, never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see...

In the 90's I played an adventure game called Riven (the sequel to Myst). The game makers were influenced by J.R.R Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings in how the approached the story. And since Riven is very steampunk in its nature, I figured to combine the two in this video. The shuttle backdrop in the opening scene is an image from Riven. I just added the steam in my video editor.

The melodica is a fun instrument to play. I should use it more often.

Edited by Amaruk (10/07/13 07:21 PM)

#2164960 - 10/11/13 05:20 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Wow! The crowds have gone home, so have the music makers! Anybody seen BillM lately? There`s a load more missing too. Hope they haven't all found another website . . .

""

#2165026 - 10/11/13 08:10 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, where are all bar players this month? Too sad because I enjoyed listening to all the various pieces that were presented here. I hope they will be back with new material soon.

#2165149 - 10/12/13 04:08 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Yes. Seems to have deflated. After posting four items I think it was last month, I said I was going to take a break this month ... but didn't expect almost everyone else too as well!

#2165159 - 10/12/13 05:21 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
jazztpt Offline

I haven't posted for a while and as the bar seems a bit quiet I thought I would share this.
A tune I wrote a couple of years ago , not played particularly well , I don't really play this style much, but hope you enjoy anyway.

The bar might be quiet but the music is of a very high standard with some interesting videos.

Where did my love go

No words to this but this title seemed to fit the opening phase :-)

Piano Recordings

#2165168 - 10/12/13 06:00 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

That was a lovely tune just made for a dusky, husky female . . .you`ll have to put some words to it! your piano sounds a treat, very expressive. What is it?

""

#2165174 - 10/12/13 06:12 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
jazztpt Offline

Hi Peter - thanks , I don't do words unfortunately, absolutely no idea how to write a lyric, I can't even make a bad attempt , nothing , blank , zilch :-(

Anyway, this is played on my Roland HP507 which I have had just over a year. It is an absolutely fantastic instrument and I love it. It pretty much has transformed my playing.

Russ

Edited by jazztpt (10/12/13 06:13 AM)

Piano Recordings

#2165180 - 10/12/13 06:39 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Amaruk- A beautiful and expressive playing of a beautiful song.
Jazztpt - wherever your love went, she'll be back if she was listening to this. cool

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2165196 - 10/12/13 08:15 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

"Anyway, this is played on my Roland HP507 which I have had just over a year. It is an absolutely fantastic instrument and I love it. It pretty much has transformed my playing."

Oh, my! What I`ve heard on these forums about Roland keyboards . . solid bottoms, noisy, finger destroying . . .Yours sounded like a software grand. I must admit to enjoying playing the 507 in my local shop . . .but it`s big isn`t it?

""

#2165199 - 10/12/13 08:22 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Jazztpt - Really nice. I could swear that was a cover. I tried looking it up online, then went back and re-read that you indicated it was an original. Excellent

Amaruk - Great production values of course. When you learn it by ear, do you go back to the sheet music to see how close you got to the composer's intentions?

Peterws - This was very cool. The song definitely conveyed that sense of motion. You might want to have the piano come up more forward (ie. louder) in the mix with Audacity. This is a criticism that I get all of the time. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, if you don't have a great audio of the piano. But where the piano is the star instrument, it should come to the front a little more.

Augustina - A piano at work? I'm jealous. Very nice work with the tempo being so locked in for a long song.

Ladypayne - Nice variation of dynamics and tempo!

Riddler - Sigh. You always have these impossibly full and lush arrangements and then play them so well with the cascading arpeggios. I loved it.

Brent - When I Fall In Love is one of my favorite vocalist songs. You did a very clean and honest rendition. Nice job!

David - Yes, these were short, but really expertly played! Well done

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2165215 - 10/12/13 09:56 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
jazztpt Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws

Oh, my! What I`ve heard on these forums about Roland keyboards . . solid bottoms, noisy, finger destroying . . .Yours sounded like a software grand. I must admit to enjoying playing the 507 in my local shop . . .but it`s big isn`t it?

Well it's a bit bigger than my Roland 101e but not overly so. Yes I also read some negative comments on the forum but I don't agree with them, the 507 was the my favourite by far of the ones I tried out.
To me , great sound , great feel , great everything, like I say I love it :-)

Well it's grey and wet here today so had a little play with the iReal app and recorded Someday my Prince will come ( sometimes known as someday my PRINTS will come - song for a sad photographer - though the jokes a bit out of date these days in the age of digital cameras)

Someday My Prince Will Come

Piano Recordings

#2165407 - 10/12/13 07:47 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
Lots of nice music so far. Here's another submission. I just did my own short arrangement of how great thou art.

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#2165816 - 10/13/13 10:10 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
kenjazz Offline

Here is a first cut at My Funny Valentine. I heard Bill Charlap play a similar arrangement. It is amazing that once you try to even break down the elements of an arrangement by one of the masters, you can see how truly intricate it is. I'm not sure that I'm ever going to get it, so I might as well post some interim little results.

There is never a quiet second in my house, so please forgive my constant companion Cliff and his "singing" along.....

Schimmel 120J

#2166339 - 10/14/13 09:51 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt]
kenjazz Offline

Quote:

Well it's grey and wet here today so had a little play with the iReal app and recorded Someday my Prince will come ( sometimes known as someday my PRINTS will come - song for a sad photographer - though the jokes a bit out of date these days in the age of digital cameras)

Someday My Prince Will Come

OMG! Where did it go? That was a cruel punishment to stop it so soon. That was swinging so hard, I could hear the next verse in my head...

Schimmel 120J

#2166607 - 10/15/13 10:34 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

The ending never quite happened...this is my 2014 task-to learn easy listening jazz . . . lovely, man!

""

#2166610 - 10/15/13 10:39 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

LadyPayne - good rendering of an old methodist hymn I`ve played so often . . . . .brings back good memories for me!

""

#2166617 - 10/15/13 10:46 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Good stuff for the kids, Ken! Good stuff for beer drinkers too . . .

""

#2167987 - 10/18/13 05:20 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
David Ruzicka Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
peterws - nice, uplifting tune, I can imagine this to be a theme to some sitcom smile

Augustina - beautiful piece of music and very confident playing

ladypayne - lovely atmospheric music. Along with the provided view - perfect

Riddler - Great playing. I wish I could play such a complex piece without major mistakes

Brent H - Very pleasant singing as well as playing. I enjoyed it very much.

Amaruk - Great, I love the steampunk theme. Your playing is superb

jazztpt - I have a great respect for people playing their own songs. Especially that good.

ladypayne - very skillful playing. Thumb up!

kenjazz - Very enjoyable jazz tune!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/druzdruz

#2168134 - 10/18/13 01:39 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Starr Keys Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
It's been a while. I've been busy with ear training and voice & theory classes and haven't done much piano outside of Taubman work on technique (no repertoire). But since I've been laid low with a cold this week it gave me a chance to catchup and realize how much I've missed you all.

Peter - felt like I was watching an amatuer version of an MTV pop video from the 80's. You certainly are eclectic in your musical tastes. Your videos are getting more creative too. You might start a new fitness trend by revisiting the soundtracks of an old one and market "Pumping the pedals to the oldies." A well done blast from the past!

Austina and Lady Payne -- fine playing in what 's becoming, in Augustina's case, a signature style and in Lp's an impressionist's palette for musically rendering the world around her (I could see those mountains just as I could the landscapes for some of exotic lands in the musical letters you sent home while perusing the globe) Now all that has to happen is for one of you to turn your hand to lyric writing and you could wind up the female version of the Sherman brothers, composing musical movie scores for your beloved Disney.

Riddler -- Ed, I agree that it is always a treat to hear you but this time it was also a revelation. You've become a total master of Jazz soloing. Starting so late in life, you've achieved more than many young whipper snappers ever will. Mary McPartland must be looking down from her heavenly perch wishing she was still alive to interview and play with you on her radio show. Heaven will always welcome musicians like you as time goes by.

Brent -- So good to hear someone besides me doing vocals & accompaniment on pianoworld to classic standards (Bill M. does em once in a while but not nearly enough for my taste). We have the same goals too--about half my vocal videos were done while playing and half to my prerecorded accompaniment. I love the blowy horn-like quality of your voice (perfect for jazz) and the accompaniment was perfect too. More please!

David Ruzicka--how good are you to have Google placing ads on your videos! Darn good, from what I can tell. Love the strong dynamic contrasts and clear articulation, not to mention balance, of the voices. Great playing!

Amaruk - the Bosendorfer sound is perfect for this piece. The melody is lovely and sounds great with the arpeggios. Executed with your usual loving touch. Loved the dreamy subtle movie magic too. You are a magician.

Jzzpt-- Wow, I'm truly bowled over (impressed would put it too mildly)! With these two selections you exhibit your super accomplished signature style and also your ability to play in a more circumscribed yet professional & accomplished jazz style. Add to this your gift for composing and this renders you one of the most versatile players as well as one of the most accomplished at PW. I'm always happy to see you doing a standard because you do them so rarely and because my weakeness is for a beautiful melody, but this is the first time I found myself wanting to write lyrics for one of your compositions and feeling it would make a great song for a vocalist. You're as fabulous as the most gifted Baker boy.

KenJazz-- Wow, you certainly have come a ways with your use of rhythm and reference to great Jazz stylists (was that geometrical chromatic run Art Tatum or Oscar Peterson?). I'm just starting where you seemed to begin. I understand the finger snapping because I've been doing a lot of it in my Jazz improv class trying to come in on the upbeats with my scatting. Have to put a 3+ or "2 against 3" over the voos and va's just to make sure it doesn't sound like I'm doing vocal exercises instead of creating jazz melodies. My hat's off to you for coming so far so fast.

#2168383 - 10/19/13 07:08 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
jazztpt Offline

Thanks to TheodorN, David Ruzicka , Peter , Ken & Starr keys for listening and for your positive comments.

Peter & Ken , truth is the backing stopped and I was going to play though he head solo piano but I messed up half way through , hense the rapid fade :-)

Starr Keys - I always enjoy your articulate comments and references to old films, if you ever felt like writing words to my music I would be honored (but only if you sang them for us) and really you are too kind.

Russ

Piano Recordings

#2168387 - 10/19/13 07:24 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
jazztpt Offline

peterws - Professional production on this jaunty composition which fitted perfectly with the video, Lancaster looks like a nice little town even with all those posh students lol. How long did it take to put the music together?

Augustina - Great playing and very enjoyable to listen to.

ladypayne - What a view to play to, it can't fail to inspire which you can hear in the music.

Riddler - Loved the arrangement and top notch playing as usual.

Brent H - Kudos for singing over a really nicely played backing, look forward to hearing more.

Amaruk - What can I say , great playing and creative video production, excellent.

kenjazz - One of my favourites and another top notch arrangement, you had me running to the keys to play this one.

David Ruzicka - well 2 perfectly played pieces, great finger work and control of dynamics, excellent.

Piano Recordings

#2168400 - 10/19/13 08:34 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
(was that geometrical chromatic run Art Tatum or Oscar Peterson?).

Thank you Starr Keys! You heard my final version that had a chromatic run in there and number of other improvements. Anyone who listened to the attempt when I first posted it didn't hear it.

Most of the time I was trying to steal from Bill Charlap, but on that one who knows? It just sounded right....

Schimmel 120J

#2169029 - 10/20/13 04:51 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: jazztpt]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Hiya Jazztp . . Lancaster`s a little city that thinks it`s big. The hanging capital of the North of England in days past, (like in the Pendle Witch Trial) and a slave trade commercial centre.

The video is an old project I decided to finish to get it out of the way. The drums have to be loaded separately, I can`t save them as a track on board. But it means they can be edited. Pure fun.

Edited by peterws (10/20/13 04:52 PM)

""

#2169035 - 10/20/13 05:11 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Amaruk~ Very fine playing. It is the centerpiece of your excellent multi-media presentation. I always enjoy your music choices.

jazzpt~ Where Did My Love Go has a sweet, lyrical, sound to it. You play very sensitively, as though you are listening very carefully to what you are playing. Wonderfully done!
You really relaxed on Someway My Prince Will Come. Very smooth syncopated comping and strong lines make this take a real keeper - it's just too short!

ladypayne~ what a wonderful view you have from your piano seat. You play as though you are inspired, in part, to that magnificent view. Thank you for your music.

kenjazz~ My Funny Valentine is a fine arrangement you made and played. You put a great deal of effort into this tune and it shines beautifully. Good work!

Glen

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2169111 - 10/20/13 08:26 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Starr Keys Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: Jazzpt.
Starr Keys - I always enjoy your articulate comments and references to old films, if you ever felt like writing words to my music I would be honored (but only if you sang them for us) and really you are too kind.

I felt like it so much, I did it. And I've already transcribed your accompaniment into a key I can sing and created an MP3 for it. Now I just need a little practice time and for my cold to get a little better. I'll post the result in the bar by next week. Just remember, it was your idea. Talk about being too kind! I'm the one who feels honored.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 7notemode, 36251, 44 invisible), 1758 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76033 Members
42 Forums
157209 Topics
2308991 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
28 minutes 34 seconds ago
Do you "swing" your Courante?
by Cinnamonbear
52 minutes 42 seconds ago
Kawai MP6 and settings via MIDI
by Lania
Today at 01:10 PM
Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 4 in Ab - technique question
by Pistos
Today at 10:37 AM
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
Today at 09:29 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission