Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (Anita Potter, ando, anamnesis, AndyJoe, 36251, 31 invisible), 1385 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2170253 - 10/22/13 07:51 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Thanks for your kind words with regards to my piece. Just to be clear, my video was shot in my living room on my digital Roland LX15. The 9' grand piano you see (it is actually a Steinway D) as well as the Bösendorfer logo were added using special (and silly) effects... smile

Jazztpt - "Where did my love go" What a great piece you wrote! Your performance is top notch as always! I am glad that you are back in the bar! Add words to this and it will climb the music charts!! I really enjoyed your other piece too. It is new to me. That is great bar music! The ending sounded a bit abrupt though. Was it intentional? Thanks for sharing!

Ladypayne - Great performance and I really like the view from your piano!!

Kenjazz - Loved it Ken! Great playing and I am amazed how you pull all the other instruments in like this. It must be really fun to record a piece as great as this. Well done!!!

Edited by Amaruk (10/22/13 07:54 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2170481 - 10/23/13 07:21 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

ladypayne,

Very nice take on How Great Thou Art. My mom loves that song and I'd bet she would really like that style of playing as well. One day I hope to post "my own arrangement" of a tune, I am current hopeless without some sheet music to get me started.

ken,

That's a warm and sweet take on My Funny Valentine. Not my favorite "sung" song but it's a great one for piano instrumentals and your rendition is very fine.

Jazztpt,

Nice tune you made there. I like that bouncy style. All of you tracks in any style (cf. Someday My Prince Will Come) have a great rhythm and groove to them.

Edited by Brent H (10/23/13 07:38 AM)

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2170485 - 10/23/13 07:33 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Starr Keys]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys

Brent -- So good to hear someone besides me doing vocals & accompaniment on pianoworld to classic standards (Bill M. does em once in a while but not nearly enough for my taste). We have the same goals too--about half my vocal videos were done while playing and half to my prerecorded accompaniment. I love the blowy horn-like quality of your voice (perfect for jazz) and the accompaniment was perfect too. More please!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I am acutely self conscious about posting vocals, much more so than I ever was with just piano playing. It helps a lot to know it's well received.

One of my favorite singers of jazz/standards is the trumpet player Chet Baker. I can't really imitate his breathy upper register way of singing but I love the way he can sing a verse, play a little trumpet break, then singing another and you can tell it's the same guy behind the voice and the horn.

Maybe one day I'll be able to try a Chet-esque rendition of "I Fall in Love Too Easily", very cool stuff.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2170871 - 10/23/13 09:38 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Starr! How great it is to see you here. Looks like you've been quite busy with music - that is fantastic!

Haven't been as participating as much and it's been great listening to everyone's music. I hope everyone's doing well.

Here's a few from the past few months for your review, one a standard, the rest are improvisations.

Solitude
https://app.box.com/s/jcymtltsfrjr41pz0s4z
Sedentary Blues
https://app.box.com/s/wqaj1jg8y22q46fvq71m

Upwards
https://app.box.com/s/l7ulwjp5tvhpp7hektao
Emergence
https://app.box.com/s/tji7p4yujzph76db8fug

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2171050 - 10/24/13 06:54 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Glen,

Great way to go with "Solitude", love the slow buildup. Would have never occurred to me to try that.

Sedentary Blues was awesome. Not QUITE enough to get me up and moving at 6:30am but nearly so!

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2171107 - 10/24/13 08:47 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Brent! Glad you liked my attempt at swinging a bit with Solitude and Sedentary. Yes, you can also tell that the proper changes in time is work-in-progress. The other two are free-plays.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2171152 - 10/24/13 10:00 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Glen, no knock on your timing intended. I was commenting on my slug-like-ness early AM before the second cup of coffee kicks in.

I sometimes think I'm the "straightest" man on the planet. I'll try to put a little swing into something I'm playing in a piano lesson and then the teacher says "That sounds nice played straight like that, now see if you can swing it". D'oh! I hate it when that happens.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2171370 - 10/24/13 04:33 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Inlanding

Solitude - A rich red wine needed to accompany this slightly dark piece with pleasant reminiscent overtones.

Sedentary Blues - Catchy and quirky . . like watching a couple dancing by themselves . .

Upwards - Scottish dourness interlaced with lighter, gladder moments along life`s dusty (wet?) road? With a p[ub at the end of it. .gotta be a pub.

Emergence - Deep roots and scattered showers! Plants are growing here. Piano sounds like a quality instrument and those compositions no less so.

""

#2171376 - 10/24/13 04:44 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Edited by Brent H (10/25/13 10:55 AM)

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2171549 - 10/24/13 11:11 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Great stuff this month.

Here is my contribution, Gershwin's Summertime (arr. by Lee Evans).

https://app.box.com/s/237qjx8mk79n7avga2sb

(perhaps a bit late, since it doesn't feel like summer anymore wink )

#2171770 - 10/25/13 10:59 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's never too late for Summertime!

Your version is very wistful sounding to me, like the way it feels to think back on Summertime when it's October and the fall winds are chilly.

Outstanding.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2171815 - 10/25/13 12:37 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Very nice playing. I like how you went in and out of time in the various section. It sounds like a very sweet arrangement.

Look forward to more, Stumbler

Thanks, Peter! so glad you had a different reaction with each tune!
Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2171976 - 10/25/13 05:48 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: stumbler]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Stumbler

A good original sounding arrangement of this popular song. It does convey the feel of summer in somwhere other than the UK.. . Nice nice!!

""

#2172001 - 10/25/13 06:40 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Peter, I spent a week in the UK this September and y'all were definitely having summer while I was there. I think it was the Monday afternoon and again most of the day on Thursday, at least until it cooled off and got foggy. But it was a lovely summer while it lasted!

Edited by Brent H (10/25/13 06:41 PM)

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2172141 - 10/26/13 01:57 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Brent H]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Brent, we`ve had the best summer in years! Usually we get nothing more than a few days of sunny weather amid a backdrop of rain. Heavy rain. This year the backdrop was showers. . . . grin

""

#2172196 - 10/26/13 05:07 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Maechre Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hey, all. It's been a while. I'm hoping to upload more regularly on my Uni break, so I've come back to the piano bar!

Stumbler: Interesting voicings and arrangement in the accompaniment. Nice work -- not at all how I'd play it... I always go for lyrical, but it's good to have different feels under your belt for variation. Wouldn't be good to play the same thing all night at a piano bar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee

#2172265 - 10/26/13 09:58 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Glen - four beautiful sounding entries. I really liked how you were able to tastefully switch into walking bass on Sedentary Blues and keep the temp increasing at just the right pace throughout. Neat. The two legato pieces, Upwards and Emergence were wonderful. I know that you intend them as whole numbers, but I can also hear them as perfect extended intros ala Brad Mehldau. Then breaking into a simple melody with some sort of a rhythmic groove. mmmm

Stumbler - Great arrangement and playing on Summertime! That rising and falling chromatic counterpoint is killer. Well done.

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2172292 - 10/26/13 11:00 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
jazztpt Offline

Glen - great playing on all four tunes, as you know I really admire your technique/touch and the piano sounds lovely. Solitude is a hard tune to play and I really like what you did with it here. Of the 2 impros Emergence really caught my ear, love the chords on that, one to develop further perhaps?

Stumbler - Summertime as it should be played , authentic to the original style and a very good arrangement. I guess the arranger is not the British comedian Lee Evans but someone else:-)

Brent H - with you on Chet Baker, more of that style please.
Yes we have had a good summer here but September was a bit hit and miss so you came just as the wrong time. Having said that the weather is always hit or miss which is why we British are always talking about it, never know what you are going to get. I have just been down to the coast for an hour and in that time we had warm no wind , wind , wind a bit cooler , sun , cloud and rain.........and then the sun came out again lol.

Piano Recordings

#2172307 - 10/26/13 11:30 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

In truth, I was joking about the "Monday afternoon and part of Thursday". I was down south at the Kent coast the first week of September playing golf. Everywhere else in England the weather was very hit-or-miss but right along the coast it stayed sunny, breezy and unseasonably warm (20C-25C in the afternoons) the entire time.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2172401 - 10/26/13 02:19 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Maechre Offline

So I spent tonight videoing and uploading two videos to Youtube. That's a record! What else is a record? 50 videos! What else? I did my first one-take recording. (Dearly Beloved.):)

#2172423 - 10/26/13 03:28 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Maechre~ very nice submissions. I especially enjoyed the second video. It seems you've spent some well-spent effort improvising on the theme. Good work!

Kenjazz and Jazzpt~ Your observations and comments are very much appreciated - it's great to see you both back at the bar! Yes, the improvisations are pretty short as I am still in the process of recovering from past injury complications.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2172599 - 10/27/13 01:29 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Maechre]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Maechre,

I was a kid when Jungle Book came out in the theatres in the sixties. So this brings me back to a long time ago.

I liked your improvisation too!

Inlanding,

My teacher suggested swinging some parts and leaving others straight. I think the original Porgie and Bess version was all straight.

kenjazz, jasspt,

The arrangement seems to keep close to the original score. Here, for example, it is sung by Paul Robeson:

https://archive.org/details/Paul-Robeson-collection-131-140

I don't know Lee Evans the comedian, though he comes out top in a google search. I think the arranger must be the following Lee Evans:

http://www.pace.edu/dyson/academic-depar...onals/lee-evans

#2172608 - 10/27/13 03:12 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Well, I was going to sit it out this month (I figured maybe I was posting too much) but after the effort I put into this one yesterday and today I had to share it. It's mostly about the left hand part I created for it - which I'm pretty pleased with.

Hold Me Tight

#2172640 - 10/27/13 06:47 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Newman,

All right, now. That's a great one. It's fun listening to you cut loose on a fun song like that.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2172649 - 10/27/13 07:23 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Maechre]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maechre

Good work, young fella! (I know you`re young because I don`t see any veins on yer hands and you`re about to grow into that pullover any minute now (forgive the stupid jokes)):)

You played really well on the first "Bare necessities. I admire people who sight read; I struggle at that somewhat. And your second? You put together three chords, and played round `em. Einaudi does the same. Make it four next time, and you`ll be better than him! Seriously, I do similar. So does half the pop song writers. It`s fun and you did a super job. Keep it up. . . .

""

#2172654 - 10/27/13 07:40 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Newman

Great song! I wondered which I was gonna get; there are at least 2 of `em! Excellent bass work with the singing. You`ll be multitasking at home next . . .!

""

#2172657 - 10/27/13 07:45 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: Brent H]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Brent H

"All right, now. That's a great one" . .True. It`s by The Free. Enigmatic song of the 70`s when I was . . . .bit younger than today lol We`ll get Newman to sing it . . .

Edited by peterws (10/27/13 07:54 AM)

""

#2172674 - 10/27/13 08:18 AM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Maechre Offline

Thanks a lot everyone!

Peter: I admire people who sight-read as well! wink And it's the people who sight-read well who inspire me to sight-read more. I'm a bit rusty thanks to Uni, but I'm sure I'll get up to scratch over my break. For "The Bare Necessities", I started at probably 60bpm, and worked only on the last few bars of the piece. As I got more confident I upped the tempo, and then slowed it back down and added more bars, working backwards through the piece. So initially I did sight-read it, and then I read it many, many times until it was up to speed (almost). I like this way of working because I can feel the progression, and the piece doesn't feel insurmountable. I'm just practising this learning technique on these pieces, and I want to apply it to more difficult pieces in the future.

I can't wait to have the time to get back into my pure sight-reading. I also think learning these pieces is going to help my sight-reading from recognising the patterns.

#2172776 - 10/27/13 02:12 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: Inlanding
Starr! How great it is to see you here. Looks like you've been quite busy with music - that is fantastic!
Glen

Glen, I'm so glad I happened back on a day when you were participating. I've heard some of these tunes of yours before, and Solitude of course, but I don't remember you, or many others for that matter, ever playing it this beauifully - -and Upwards soars,it's very beautiful. I love your compositions!

Stumbler - This arrangement of Summertime is perhaps the best I've ever heard and you do it full justice. I agree it stays close to original, but surprises with enough beautiful tropes on to take your breath way. I love your playing and taste in music.

Maechre - I enjoyed your playing very much. You are very talented. Welcome to the Bar!

Newman - I listened to Hold Me Tight and Your Not the girl, and I can't tell you how impresssed I am. Wouldn't it be ironic if after all these years of singing and playing guitar in a band you became rich and famous for solo vocals and piano accompaniment.

Well, as promised, here are my lyrics and vocal for Jazzpt's music. I wish I had more time to work on the vocal (know I could do a much better job with some coaching from my new teacher) but I'm still rundown with my cold and I daren't strain my throat anymore. I also have a mammoth theory assignment with licks to write.

https://app.box.com/s/jlj6f2kg0tzolyf65np4

#2172957 - 10/27/13 09:40 PM Re: October Piano Bar [Re: peterws]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Newman~ I liked the high-energy sound you bring to the music. Glad you did not sit out this month. Your piano playing is getting much smoother and sure-footed. Good work, indeed!

Starr~ The fact you came up with some lyrics nearly on-the-fly like that is really impressive. Your voice is opening up and sounding more relaxed. No doubt you are getting some great instruction and applying it daily to your own work.
Thanks for the acknowledgement, Starr. I might have posted Solitude before, but the others were just recently rendered. I always appreciate your insights into what you hear.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One man show!
by Nikolas
11/27/14 09:00 AM
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159391 Topics
2341410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission