Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2160461 - 10/01/13 12:56 PM video tutorial: bass lines in B minor
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Showing you how to create bass lines in B minor. Similiar to my previous videos (see the "Playing by ear" thread), but somewhat more advanced.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2160568 - 10/01/13 06:15 PM Re: video tutorial: bass lines in B minor [Re: Michael Martinez]
Michael Martinez Offline

It occurred to me that I need to explain this video a bit more. In the beginning of the vid, I give you a busy bass line. The reason for this is so you can more readily hear the complete harmonies as things go from chord to chord, and to show you the complete sets of improvisational tone .... so your ear can hear the different possibilities, ie: how you can approach the chord change from the top of the chord versus from the bottom.

When you're learning this stuff, it's worthwhile to practice in this manner sometimes. But usually you do not want to be busy all the time. You want to be selective about when to play more subdued, particularly when you're accompanying other players. You choose which passages of the song where you're only playing root notes, and other passages where you are more active. I'll make another video showing this approach over the same chord changes.

Some examples of pop music where the bass player uses an approach like what I'm demonstrating are the following groups: Kajagoogoo (from the 80s), Duran Duran, and Wild Nothing (contemporary). This style of playing bass plays off counterpoint to the harmony which makes for a much richer bass line.

I should also point out that smooth jazz bassist's tend to do the same thing.

Edited by Michael Martinez (10/01/13 06:23 PM)

#2160571 - 10/01/13 06:42 PM Re: video tutorial: bass lines in B minor [Re: Michael Martinez]
Michael Martinez Offline

One more quick thing: you shouldn't be thinking about chords for this exercise. You should be thinking in terms of the different sets of tones I give you, how each set sounds, and how it sounds moving from one set to the next. (Although each set = a chord, forget about chord names, just learn how they sound). ...

#2160606 - 10/01/13 08:59 PM Re: video tutorial: bass lines in B minor [Re: Michael Martinez]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Why are you playing the bass line with your right hand? As a practical matter I'm always playing bass lines left handed. I like Joe Zawinul's bass lines. They are about as sophisticated as can be.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#2160635 - 10/01/13 10:31 PM Re: video tutorial: bass lines in B minor [Re: daviel]
Michael Martinez Offline

Originally Posted By: daviel
Why are you playing the bass line with your right hand?

no particular reason. could just as easily with the left. see 31:26 and 33:06

Edited by Michael Martinez (10/01/13 11:01 PM)

#2160769 - 10/02/13 08:51 AM Re: video tutorial: bass lines in B minor [Re: Michael Martinez]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Hey Michael, I'm probably twice your age and a little slow to boot, but whether it's "Twinkle ...", "Stuck on You", or even some of your work ... "Bass Lines in B minor", it would get me started off on the same track as you if you would begin a vid by playing thru the entire tune and set it in my ear, then break it down

To give you an example of how bad it is on my end, if you'd said "Stuck on You" by Lionel Richie or played it thru, I'd have been with you from the start, but listening to the RH only, I wasn't getting it until I listened to Richie's tape on youtube. Michael, this is just feedback, not a request or criticism.

I listened to you playing on the coast during the marathon run btw, nice work, I enjoyed it.

Edited by Rerun (10/02/13 11:53 AM)

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2160830 - 10/02/13 12:24 PM Re: video tutorial: bass lines in B minor [Re: Michael Martinez]
Michael Martinez Offline

Hi Rerun,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make a point to do that on future videos.

-Michael

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (ajames, Abby Pianoman, Alex-SapRenovation, AndresD, 44 invisible), 1573 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156150 Topics
2293147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
21 minutes 24 seconds ago
Who's inspiring you right now?
by Arizona Sage
56 minutes 39 seconds ago
Best way to dispose of an old piano?
by fizikisto
Today at 08:33 AM
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission