2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bob #2155269 09/21/13 10:03 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob
... Even if you win in court, you still have to collect. ...
Therein lies the rub! You win, but you're still back at square one. -collection- Ugh!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
Question: How about a collection agency? They do all the legwork, and you do have to give them a big chunk of the money, but if they collect, at least you get something.

With no small claims court in this area, the Collection Agency was the method of most in business for no-pays and bad checks. I used neither. For umpteen years, I only had a few of these - four or five perhaps - to deal with. All were just for a single tuning. Not bad considering most of my business was charge accounts. Most of no-pays were cleared up with correspondence and patience. The one or two bad checks were re-issued (it helps that writing bad checks is a felony here). What little remained was forgiven.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
Bob #2155706 09/22/13 06:44 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Bob
You would spend a day of your time filing and going to to court. For a day's pay, it's not worth it. Write it off as bad debt, and forget it. Even if you win in court, you still have to collect.

Life has taught me that staying out of court is a good thing. If it can't be resolved without small claims, consider if turning a loss of a day's pay into a two day loss of pay, plus the hassle of collecting is worth it.

And Loren, I don't appreciate being called "daft" because my opinion differs from yours. wink

Bob,

Filing took me ten minutes at the magistrate's desk, that's all.

As for the "daft" remark....fair point, and I offer my sincere apology! smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
I agree with David.

It is not much use going to court in England if you haven't made every effort to talk to the other side. More often than not there's a problem that can be resolved once you've found out what it is. As for the rest ...

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
N
N
Before I filed anything in court I would be calling the US Department of Labor / Wage an hour division. Tell them what the issue is and if they can help they will.

We had someone stiff us on transport once, we didn't work for anyone but ourselves and although the amount we got was less than the invoiced amount the business that stiffed us got a nice federal raid on employment files and we got minimum wage plus 15% for each day we had to wait to get paid. Just a different option to consider

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
Bob #2155861 09/22/13 11:34 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Bob
You would spend a day of your time filing and going to to court. For a day's pay, it's not worth it. Write it off as bad debt, and forget it. Even if you win in court, you still have to collect.

Life has taught me that staying out of court is a good thing. If it can't be resolved without small claims, consider if turning a loss of a day's pay into a two day loss of pay, plus the hassle of collecting is worth it.

And Loren, I don't appreciate being called "daft" because my opinion differs from yours. wink

I never mentioned anything about going to court. You are right that it is a waste of time and money. Deal with it directly and you will find that as your requests become frequent your client might be better willing to meet your requests. Tell them what it means to you in business terms such as your accounts with outstanding debtors. Keep a personal connection (businesslike) and hopefully once they get to know you better an association will be reckoned.

Last edited by David, Las Vegas; 09/22/13 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The first red flag is calling a tuner 85 miles away.

I can remember musicians taking care of each other. Those days are long gone.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Dave B
The first red flag is calling a tuner 85 miles away.

+1, regrettably, unless the call was for a good reason.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Gretchen,
Please come to the next NJ PTG meeting. Don Mannino is presenting. Let us know the name of the school so they can be blacklisted.

Gretchen,

Can you file a complaint with the school's local Better Business Bureau? I think the BBB would then bring it to their attention, which might shame them into paying you.

I've never done this; it's just a thought.

G
G
View a "no paying" customer as a lesson. It's "stupid Tax". It can make you smarter in the long run

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yea, I've paid that tax a couple of times. It's humiliating and infuriating, but you do learn. Kids at a summer camp impersonated the staff and got me to tune a piano once. That one worked out OK in the end, but it's pretty hard to sniff out all the scams before you get stung.

I'm now wary of bars, churches with long names, outdoor venues, wedding emergencies, and long distance calls. I'll take some of these clients, but I've learned to do a little more checking first.

That "stupid tax" really paid off!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by David Jenson
I'm now wary of bars, churches with long names, outdoor venues, wedding emergencies, and long distance calls. I'll take some of these clients, but I've learned to do a little more checking first.

As a player rather than a tuner, it's surprising how often we get stiffed by a church. I've learned to get the cash up front, or resign myself to chasing it for a couple of months. "Oh, only Susie can write the check, but she'll be back tomorrow and I'm sure she'll take care of it right away." "I know we agreed on $100, but Pastor Dave says it was supposed to be $75, you don't mind, do you?"

Last edited by TimR; 09/27/13 07:52 AM.

gotta go practice
G
G
Having an occasional deadbeat customer is simply the cost of running a business. I ALSO hate the "slow pays". If you can't absorb the cost and/or risk of this happening in the future, you might only issue credit to your BEST customers who have a proven track record. Just a thought

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission