Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 95 of 100 < 1 2 ... 93 94 95 96 97 99 100 >
Topic Options
#2135862 - 08/20/13 09:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
carolinagirl Offline

I am just beginning the Alfred book two. My digital piano has the ability to play MIDI files, but I can't locate them for this book. I know the songs are on the CD and also there are links to them, but I would like to play them through my piano so I can play left or right hand only. Can someone please tell me where I might purchase the MIDI files for this book? Thanks!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2136102 - 08/20/13 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I have started Book 2! smile

What I have here just kind of happened. I was just messing around with the CD that comes with the book, and well, it's not like the DVD that goes along with Book 1 (the DVD was awesome). Anyways, on the first track, I pulled out the piano part and mixed the backing track with my piano and voila:

Down in the Valley (https://app.box.com/s/4vuohx8ultdxmim9h886)

Yamaha P-155

#2151246 - 09/16/13 11:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
    I found the first few pieces to be very easy after coming from book 1. Guantanamera was the sticking point. After struggling with it for a bit, I moved on the the following pieces, which I found easier to play. I had never heard Guantanamera, so I had no idea how it should sound. In the meantime, I polished off the three or four pieces following it over the course of a couple weeks.

I don't really consider myself a jazz player, but I find the I enjoy playing jazz pieces. Light and Blue is fun to play.

I finally got back into my lessons, and my teacher helped me figure out Guantanamera. Now it seems easy. I'm just about done with Morning Has Broken. It's funny how pieces initially seem so difficult, but become easy after a few practice sessions.

#2151454 - 09/16/13 05:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    earlofmar Online   content
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
    good progress Danial, I found a few sticky ones in this book but patience and a good teacher will always win through

#2157339 - 09/25/13 09:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
    I wanted to bump this thread up to the first page as I hope the activity here increases (sydnal wink ). I am a huge fan of these threads, as they are source of support, encouragement and inspiration.

Having said that, I will, most likely, not be participating in Alfred Book 2. I have recently started my studies with a teacher (at music school, at a local college) and so far the direction is away from the Alfred series. The good news is that Book 1 provided a solid foundation.

I look forward to hearing all of your uploads!!!

Yamaha P-155

#2157406 - 09/25/13 11:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      sydnal Offline

@scorpio:

#2157421 - 09/25/13 12:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: carolinagirl]
      Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: carolinagirl
      I am just beginning the Alfred book two. My digital piano has the ability to play MIDI files, but I can't locate them for this book. I know the songs are on the CD and also there are links to them, but I would like to play them through my piano so I can play left or right hand only. Can someone please tell me where I might purchase the MIDI files for this book? Thanks!

You can get them from Alfred's list of retailers at their site, but only in antiquated floppy disk format. I just purchased one of these from JW Pepper for the Basic Adult Level 2 and can't get it to read. I even bought an external USB A drive, tried it on several computers and OS's and still can't get it read... Pretty dysfunctionally bizarre IMHO.

I called them, and they're sending me another, and say they're working on making all of their MIDI downloadable... Here's the link, anyway:

http://www.alfred.com/search/searchresults.aspx?q=14428&type=All

#2157506 - 09/25/13 03:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
      You can buy downloadable MIDI files for a number of piano methods here
      http://shop.keystoimagination.com/MIDI-Files_c6.htm

I've bought a number of MIDI files from them, for use with Home Concert Xtreme

neglected piano blog

#2160553 - 10/01/13 05:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      sydnal Offline

Hello everybody, this will be my first progress post in this thread. I am a fresh Book 1 graduate and although this thread seems to be less crowded than Book 1's, there seem to be some recent posts so I hope I am not alone.

Anyway, as for the progress report: I have been working on the first few pieces from Book 2 while I was stuck in Book 1's last songs. Here they are:

Down in the Valley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNvK2DT3768
      (sorry about the sync problem I still couldn't get the hang of merging video and sound.)
      Bridal Chorus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRazb2kKUJg
      Guantanamera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXbuOfSWpsU

These were recorded using Pianoteq and what can I say, I'm in love! It sounds somewhat artificial but the expressiveness is incredible.

Now working on: Theme from the Overture

#2160565 - 10/01/13 06:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      1000 Post Club Member

Good to see you making such good progress sydnal your pieces as always are played smoothly and without hesitation. Pianoteq is very good I played around with it for ages but opted for Galaxy Vintage D. Both programs make such a difference in the way we hear our music. One step closer to the real thing.

#2160716 - 10/02/13 02:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      sydnal Offline

Thanks earlofmar. I also wanted to try the Galaxy Vintage D since I'm hearing lots of praise here on the forums, but their downloader software is a mess.. I tried to download it on another computer (since the laptop I use for piano is not connected to the internet) and transfer it using a usb stick but I am not sure it's possible, it seems to have some sort of per device DRM or something. The whole process made me pull my hair out! And the downloader doesn't even have uninstall functionality, I had to remove stuff from registry in the year 2013, I don't remember when I last had to do that! So I just gave up on it.

Other than Pianoteq, I tried Pianissimo and TruePianos. With Pianissimo I was not able to reduce the latency to acceptable levels, and it's sound is not that much of an improvement over my digital's I think. Truepianos has a good realistic sound but it's not as expressive as Pianoteq. With Pianoteq dynamics come to life. The down side is it's expensive, still I am thinking of purchasing the full version once I put some money aside.

#2160776 - 10/02/13 09:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
      I'm at this book's "Blow the Man Down": La Bamba. Yikes!

#2160796 - 10/02/13 10:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Mete Offline

Loc: Turkey
      Thanks to bernhard from pianostreet, I gave up following this book. I studied and played 6 pieces from Alfred-2, and I find them rather dull and boring, especially left hand. Life is too short, there are so many beautiful pieces by great composers. I'll skim through music theory and skip the pieces from Alfred's 2. Maybe later, if I am advanced enough, I'll use it as sight-reading fodder.

#2161290 - 10/03/13 04:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Ohio_Mark Offline

sydnal - very nice work! I am working on Hava Nagila, Pomp & Circumstance and Dark Eyes. Hava Nagila I've been battling for a couple weeks the other two I just started yesterday.

#2161538 - 10/04/13 02:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      sydnal Offline

@Ohio_Mark
      Thanks, nice to see that there are at least several people going through Book 2. I am working on Theme from the Overture and Light and Blue, they are coming along nicely but need more time and practice.

@Mete
      Bernhard's posts are inspiring yes but I share the opinion that he is just an online character. He probably does not exist, neither his students who became grade 8 in under 2 years. Anyway, good luck on your new path and please keep us updated about your progress!

#2161638 - 10/04/13 08:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
      Mete Offline

Loc: Turkey
      Hi sydnal,

Basically, what bernhard says is that you build your piano technique by playing more repertoire. Working on pieces that you love makes you feel more motivated.

Right now, I'm working on Burgmuller's Arabesque. I'm trying really hard to play those sixteenth notes fast and evenly. At the same time working on musicality and weak fingers... I think it's getting better day by day.

I'm sure there are pieces in Alfred's Book 2 or 3 that exercises the same way as Arabesque, but why wait? If any piece that I love is in my limits, then I'll try to play it.

#2161938 - 10/04/13 11:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
      Hello, everybody!

I just started book 2 today after finally reaching the end of book 1. So today, I pretty much learned the first piece, Down in the Valley. It's a rather simple song compared to the bonus songs at the end of the last book so that is a nice change.

The last book took me 2½ years to complete. Hoping this book won't take as long.
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2161979 - 10/05/13 03:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      sydnal Offline

Johnny D, congrats and welcome to Book 2 thread! I'm also a newcomer, nice to see this place is getting crowded.

#2163028 - 10/07/13 01:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
      Johnny D Offline

Thanks for the welcome, sydnal.

I've been working on The Bridal Chorus for the past couple of days. At first glance I thought it looked a little tricky, but after working on it a bit, it seems fairly easy. Well, it has been said here that the first few pieces in this book are relatively easy so I guess that makes sense.

In any case it's nice to be able to finish a new piece in a matter of days as opposed to a matter of months as was the case for me for most of those bonus songs from book 1 (Over The Rainbow, At Last, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, etc.).
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2163176 - 10/07/13 09:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Johnny D]
      malkin Offline
      2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
      Originally Posted By: Johnny D

...it's nice to be able to finish a new piece in a matter of days as opposed to a matter of months...

Well, enjoy that while it lasts!

It wasn't sooo very long ago that I was deep in book 2 and moved through pieces. Now "fast" is a few weeks and some of them stay around for months. I don't mind as long as I love the music and love it more and more as I can play it better. Sometimes though--ho hum!

#2163245 - 10/08/13 01:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      1000 Post Club Member

six months on and I have moved onto another book and level yet still cannot get Chopin Etude Op 10, No 3 to a level I am happy with. This despite this arrangement being a modified (presumably simpler) one. I would have given up on it ages ago if it weren't so darn beautiful a piece.

So if it isn't just me, there are a few surprisingly difficult pieces in this book I imagine.

Edited by earlofmar (10/08/13 01:38 AM)

#2163282 - 10/08/13 04:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Johnny D Offline

So this book must be rather difficult to finish. Is there even a thread for Alfred's #3 ?

@Malkin - What piece are you currently working on?
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2163298 - 10/08/13 06:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Johnny D]
      Moonraker Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
      Johnny,
      It's that a lot of people move on to "real" music at this stage and either slow down or give up completely on Alfred. I stayed the course and I wouldn't say Alfred 2 is that difficult. If you can do the supplementary songs in Alfred 1 you can do anything in Alfred 2. Offhand, I can't think of anything really difficult in Alfred 2, though La Bamba never did sound really nice! I usually had 3 pieces on the go at once to give variety.

Yes, there is an Alfred 3 thread, but it's been inactive for a while. There were some good debates while it lasted.

#2163318 - 10/08/13 08:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Moonraker]
      malkin Offline
      2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
      I am working through Alfred 3, still playing Martha Mier Jazz, Rags, and Blues, although I have landed on one I quite like and I am working on making it stick, rather than forgetting it after 5 minutes away from it. I have spent the summer working on Stravinsky's Five Finger pieces and have just begun the last one in the series. My teacher is encouraging me to polish them all up and perform them or more probably record them.

My progress in A3 is slow enough that I am likely to still be there when the current crop of A2 (or even A!) students arrive!

#2163336 - 10/08/13 08:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: malkin]
      Moonraker Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
      malkin, you could revive the A3 thread, and you might find a few fellow travellers. As with A2, I didn't find A3 as difficult as expected, but in the Ambitious Section, at the end, most pieces are 4 or 5 pages long so need some dogged persistence. But I wasn't going to give up then, was I!

I finished A3 in July and am going slowly through Masterworks Classics 3 and the Kenneth Baker Complete Piano Player series. So much to learn....

#2163397 - 10/08/13 11:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: malkin]
      Ohio_Mark Offline

malkin which Jazz, Rags and Blues book are you working in? I bought all 5 of them last week and just started working through book 1, although I've heard a lot of them performed on youtube. I really enjoy most of the compositions.

#2163421 - 10/08/13 11:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      mom3gram Offline
      1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
      Malkin, I'm still in Book 2 - I will probably be there forever since I'm old, slow, and self teaching. LOL! But I follow all three Alfred threads, and I would love for you (and others) to keep the Book 3 thread going. Who knows, maybe some day I might just shock myself and finish Book 2.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#2163797 - 10/09/13 06:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Johnny D Offline

Thanks to everybody for chiming in. After finishing Alfred's 1, I have been wondering things like what percentage of people who start Alfred's finish book 1, or how many go on to book 2 and finish it, and the same for book 3. What percentage of the people who use Alfred's are self-taught or how many have a teacher, and how much that helps in completing the book.

Anyhow, it's good to see that there are quite a few of you who have had success with Alfred's and have finished the series or are still plugging away at it. Congratulations, everybody.
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2163826 - 10/09/13 08:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
      Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: sydnal

Sydnal, I'm not certain but it sounds to me like you might be coming in too early on some of those eighth notes.
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2163852 - 10/09/13 09:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      mattroilanh_tt Offline

My new update, Tumbalalaika: http://youtu.be/2aQU4650bRI

Edited by mattroilanh_tt (10/09/13 09:47 AM)
      • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

Page 95 of 100 < 1 2 ... 93 94 95 96 97 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
      What's Hot!!
      Our latest Issue is available now...
      Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
      -------------------
      HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
      -------------------
      Sharing is Caring!
      About the Buttons
      -------------------
      Forums Rules & Help
      -------------------
      ADVERTISE
      on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
      (ad) HAILUN Pianos
      Hailun Pianos - Click for More
      Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
      Seiler Pianos
      Sheet Music
      (PW is an affiliate)
      Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
      (125ad) Dampp Chaser
      Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
      (ad) Lindeblad Piano
      Lindeblad Piano Restoration
      Who's Online
      144 registered (anotherscott, Alex1, accordeur, AndrewJCW, 44 invisible), 1653 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
      Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
      Forum Stats
      75566 Members
      42 Forums
      156235 Topics
      2294533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
      New Topics - Multiple Forums
      teaching in a studio vs independently from home
      by JRoberts
      7 minutes 45 seconds ago
      First time piano buyer - please help!
      by Ksi
      18 minutes 53 seconds ago
      Verituner Data Download?
      by A443
      20 minutes 12 seconds ago
      Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
      by Weiyan
      33 minutes 16 seconds ago
      Practicing slow is only part of it
      by Sweet06
      58 minutes 8 seconds ago
      (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
      | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
      | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
      | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
      No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission