Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2160760 - 10/02/13 07:52 AM Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if this date coming up has any special significance for anyone here or if it is just another date on the calendar.

Last year I wrote a piano composition for Liszt to celebrate his birthday and which conveyed my impression of his fatherly, compassionate and otherworldly nature. I'm not sure if I'll do it again this year or not - or perhaps just notate a 2nd version of last year's composition for Liszt with added material and development.

Composition requires confidence in what is doing, or doing it in spite of a lack of confidence, and there are ebbs and flows of this state of mind.

M.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2160803 - 10/02/13 10:47 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if this date coming up has any special significance for anyone here or if it is just another date on the calendar.

Last year I wrote a piano composition for Liszt to celebrate his birthday and which conveyed my impression of his fatherly, compassionate and otherworldly nature. I'm not sure if I'll do it again this year or not - or perhaps just notate a 2nd version of last year's composition for Liszt with added material and development.

Composition requires confidence in what is doing, or doing it in spite of a lack of confidence, and there are ebbs and flows of this state of mind.

M.

It IS a significant date. Liszt is one of my favourite composers and as a member of the Liszt Society I shall be attending the Liszt Society Annual Day in London on 9th November when the Liszt Society Piano Prize will be awarded after competition. Details of this and other activities/events together with news and publications on the website:
www.lisztsoc.org.uk
rk

#2161107 - 10/03/13 08:48 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Derek Hartwell]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Derek,

I don't have any favourite composers but Liszt's music does seem to be closest to my heart in terms of both my feeling for life and my inner sense of being.

I just found this interesting recording by pianist David Bradshaw of Liszt's La Leggierezza with Leschetizky's cadenza ending. I think it might be from a live performance in 1976:

There also is this recording on youtube with him in Liszt's two-piano version of the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody:

And for a little bit more Lisztian enthusiasm here is a link from another post which is of Liszt's music being played on his 1873 Steingraeber. This is a recording I heard for the first time this morning. In it Andrea Bonatta gets almost as high a quality tone as Nyiregyhazi does in En Reve and Abschied on the Desmar LP but Nyiregyhazi did not need a piano from the 1800s to get that kind of sound. Keith Kerman posted that this piano was owned by Cosima and still is in the family which I assume means that it is in Bayreuth:

M.

#2161180 - 10/03/13 12:11 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Thanks, Michael, for posting those recordings which are very interesting.
Although the piano playing is beyond any criticism from me, I do have to say how I dislike the piano SOUND on the first of the three 'La Leggierezza': the 'empty hall' sound! I wonder if that has been added digitally by the recording engineers ?
Best wishes.
rk

#2161195 - 10/03/13 12:42 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Derek Hartwell]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derek Hartwell
Thanks, Michael, for posting those recordings which are very interesting.
Although the piano playing is beyond any criticism from me, I do have to say how I dislike the piano SOUND on the first of the three 'La Leggierezza': the 'empty hall' sound! I wonder if that has been added digitally by the recording engineers ?
Best wishes.
rk

Hi Derek,

You have good ears! I think you may be right regarding the David Bradshaw La Leggierezza recording. The hall sound, if that is what is on the recording, seems colourless. I kept thinking to myself, "that is a terrible sounding hall"!

M.

#2161582 - 10/04/13 05:39 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Thanks for the com(pli)ment, Michael!
However, I don't have absolute pitch. frown
Nevertheless, the sound very much reminds me of the characteristic sound of recordings on the now defunct 'Nimbus' label. It was, I believe, deliberately engineered and I dislike it.
Best wishes.
rk

#2164886 - 10/11/13 01:33 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
HerrLiszt Offline

Loc: Maryland
I celebrated the year of the maestro's 200th birthday listening to all 99 of Leslie Howard's disks. Since I commute an hour each way to work, this was an enjoyable way to pay honor on his anniversary. Truly amazing the depth and breadth of his collection.

Edited by HerrLiszt (10/11/13 01:34 PM)

#2164921 - 10/11/13 03:17 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: HerrLiszt]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HerrLiszt
I celebrated the year of the maestro's 200th birthday listening to all 99 of Leslie Howard's disks. Since I commute an hour each way to work, this was an enjoyable way to pay honor on his anniversary. Truly amazing the depth and breadth of his collection.

That is a lot of lis(z)tening! The only other comparable project with Liszt's piano music I know of was Gunnar Johansen's, and of course Liszt piano works have been discovered since then which Leslie Howard was able to record.

I am glad we are getting a good warm up to Liszt's birthday.

Pianist Ivan Davis for some reason doesn't seem very well known but I personally feel that his debut recording - all Liszt - has many interesting things:

And also on youtube is this recording of him as piano soloist with Eugene Ormandy conducting in Liszt's Fantasia on Hungarian Folk Melodies:

M.

#2164998 - 10/11/13 06:51 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
The Hound Offline

Seems a good place to ask this: has anyone seen the film "Song Without End"? I've been watching a couple of old Hollywood composer biopics - Song Of Love and A Song To Remember (though biopic is putting it a bit loosely with the latter). Liszt pops up in both of those to lend a friendly hand to Schumann and Chopin. But Song Without End focuses on him, of course, and I thought I'd give it a shot next (and it seems an appropriate point to watch it).

#2165135 - 10/12/13 02:51 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: The Hound]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: The Hound
Seems a good place to ask this: has anyone seen the film "Song Without End"? I've been watching a couple of old Hollywood composer biopics - Song Of Love and A Song To Remember (though biopic is putting it a bit loosely with the latter). Liszt pops up in both of those to lend a friendly hand to Schumann and Chopin. But Song Without End focuses on him, of course, and I thought I'd give it a shot next (and it seems an appropriate point to watch it).

I've watched Song Without End more than once and highly recommend it. I am Liszt obsessed though and a bit biased!

M.

#2165970 - 10/14/13 09:38 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just today noticed that the version of the Dante Symphony Liszt originally intended which has an artwork slideshow of scenes from the Dante's Divine Comedy, and also the vocal recitativo, is online at youtube. I don't want to post the entire series of videos but here is one of the clips to give some idea of it:

The remainder and various other performances of the Dante Symphony, including one with two pianos, and also a performance of the Hungarian Fantasy (Fantasia on Hungarian Folk Melodies), are here at the same channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bdom001/videos

Just a little more than one week to go until Liszt's birthday!

M.

#2166012 - 10/14/13 11:13 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
The Hound Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers

I've watched Song Without End more than once and highly recommend it. I am Liszt obsessed though and a bit biased!

M.

Michael, how would you rate its accuracy? I assume some liberties will have been taken like with all biopics, but is it largely true to life, or have they basically made a new story, starring Franz Liszt?

#2166158 - 10/14/13 03:26 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: The Hound]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Michael, how would you rate its accuracy? I assume some liberties will have been taken like with all biopics, but is it largely true to life, or have they basically made a new story, starring Franz Liszt?

I think maybe it fictionalizes some things such details in the scene for the Kiev charity concert in 1847 where Carolyne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein first heard Liszt perform - but it seems to do this as embellishment that doesn't contradict the known facts. I'm definitely not a Liszt expert - to be a Liszt expert one has to know a lot! - but I've read what I can here and there over the years. What I mainly focus on is the music and the example he set for other musicians through performing for charity and selflessly helping out other composers and pianists. One would have to look very hard in his letters to find any sentence where he admires his own skills and abilities - I haven't read anything like that from him.

M.

#2169838 - 10/22/13 12:52 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Happy birthday Liszt!

M.

#2169840 - 10/22/13 12:56 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Happy 202nd Birthday! laugh

Polyphonist

#2169861 - 10/22/13 02:13 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Happy Birthday!

Music is my best friend.

#2169906 - 10/22/13 07:40 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: ChopinAddict]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Happy Birthday!

You're a Chopin Addict. You're supposed to be Liszt's mortal enemy. grin

Polyphonist

#2169971 - 10/22/13 10:31 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
It seems strange to wish a happy birthday to someone who is deceased, but for my favorite composer, Happy Birthday. There should be an annual e-cital for his works on this date. whistle

#2169977 - 10/22/13 10:36 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Happy Birthday Franz Liszt, a composer honoured to be in my top five!

I remember reading an article by Alfred Brendel some years back wherein he compared Liszt's genius with Rachmaninov's 'elevated conversation', a view I endorse. That ought to rile a few members, but hey, take it up with Brendel, certainly nobody's fool. wink

#2169978 - 10/22/13 10:43 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: argerichfan]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

I remember reading an article by Alfred Brendel some years back wherein he compared Liszt's genius with Rachmaninov's 'elevated conversation', a view I endorse. That ought to rile a few members, but hey, take it up with Brendel, certainly nobody's fool. wink

"You cannot be serious!' (as Johnny would say) - apropos of Brendel's "Does classical music have to be entirely serious?" grin

#2169988 - 10/22/13 11:11 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Ah, Liszt - you've always been my favorite. You were a true Shakespeare of musical storytelling. I adore the brilliantly intense narratives with perfectly timed wink & nudge to remind us it's only make-believe. Your damn-the-torpedoes bombast - hey, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. And for sharing from the depths of your own sorrow I present many thanks for that gentle caution not to dwell on darkness.

Happy Birthday memories to the man and his music.

#2169994 - 10/22/13 11:20 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Happy Birthday, dear Franz Liszt-- quite possibly the greatest pianist who ever lived, virtuoso and consummate musician, composer, innovator, conductor, transcriber, generous colleague, teacher for the ages, and humanitarian. The word "genius" is tossed around easily, but Liszt truly was one. Thank you for so many sublime musical moments.

#2170010 - 10/22/13 11:44 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Still the best - nobody else even comes close...

#2170014 - 10/22/13 11:51 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: argerichfan]
7000 Post Club Member

Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Brahms, and Chopin. No Liszt.

He is in my top ten though.
The sonata is among the greatest piano works of the Romantic era - some would say THE greatest, although I disagree.

Polyphonist

#2170017 - 10/22/13 11:53 AM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: argerichfan]
7000 Post Club Member

Yes, he is. Brendel doesn't understand music. This much should be obvious to whoever has heard him play late Beethoven, in which he supposedly "specializes." As for his view of Rachmaninoff, it is hogwash.

Polyphonist

#2170022 - 10/22/13 12:05 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Polyphonist]
Tararex Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Brahms, and Chopin. No Liszt.

He is in my top ten though.
The sonata is among the greatest piano works of the Romantic era - some would say THE greatest, although I disagree.

Why are you even crashing the Liszt birthday party?

I'm checking the punchbowl.

#2170026 - 10/22/13 12:09 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Michael Sayers]
7000 Post Club Member

I'm not crashing the party. To prove it, I will post this work, one of my favorite Liszt miniatures. It is a stroke of absolute genius.

Polyphonist

#2170039 - 10/22/13 12:28 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: Polyphonist]
Tararex Offline

That's better!

Please understand, if it were "Polyphonist's birthday celebration" and someone was all up here talking 'meh...' about you, I would fast be handing them their hat and showing the way to the door! smile

#2170273 - 10/22/13 08:28 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: sophial]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: sophial
Happy Birthday, dear Franz Liszt-- quite possibly the greatest pianist who ever lived, virtuoso and consummate musician, composer, innovator, conductor, transcriber, generous colleague, teacher for the ages, and humanitarian. The word "genius" is tossed around easily, but Liszt truly was one. Thank you for so many sublime musical moments.

Many thanks for your post, sophial. You said it so well. heart

I find it inexplicably astounding that anyone could rate Rachmaninov a greater composer than Liszt. Rachmaninov had his limited bag of tricks which he expertly manipulated and recyled, but Liszt was always on to something new, throwing his compositional spear into new realms, and continually reinventing himself.

Why is it that so many PW members confuse talent with genius?

#2170277 - 10/22/13 08:42 PM Re: Liszt's birthday on October 22, 2013 [Re: argerichfan]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sophial

Many thanks for your post, sophial. You said it so well. heart

I find it inexplicably astounding that anyone could rate Rachmaninov a greater composer than Liszt. Rachmaninov had his limited bag of tricks which he expertly manipulated and recyled, but Liszt was always on to something new, throwing his compositional spear into new realms, and continually reinventing himself.

Why is it that so many PW members confuse talent with genius?

Jason, they were both geniuses, and I am not going to argue right now that one is greater than the other. However, what I will say is that Chopin surpassed them both.

Polyphonist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
105 registered (aesop, Anticlock, 36251, 30 invisible), 1218 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156854 Topics
2304731 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
08/22/14 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
08/22/14 12:38 AM
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
08/22/14 12:05 AM
Cardboard shim for loose pin. Anybody heared about it's
by Maximillyan
08/21/14 11:05 PM
Sheet music question
by Coconutyoghurt
08/21/14 10:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission