Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2159151 - 09/28/13 03:36 PM Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell
Keith D Kerman Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Shaun made this video for a client. It was done with an IPad. It is actually a private video, and there is a good chance Shaun might ask me to take it down since it was done spur of the moment, one take, and with, well, an IPad.
But, I thought his playing was just beautiful here and I am sure many will be moved by this gorgeous Gershwin prelude.
Sorry for the Ipad recording. The Steingraeber comes across pretty nicely anyways.

Edited by Keith D Kerman (10/02/13 06:41 PM)
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2159159 - 09/28/13 03:47 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
If I could play like that I would let you share it too.

Shaun is simply excellent - but I told you that a long time ago!

And Steingraeber is still the finest instrument made on this planet as far as I am concerned.

But what do I know?

#2159190 - 09/28/13 04:55 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Hi Keith,

Maybe you have some pointers, other than that I contact the manufacturer, on how I might locate a Steingraeber to record on. I rather liked the difference in timbre between the registers with this C-212 and think the Steingraeber possibility might be worth looking into as long as no unusual complications would be involved such as scheduling months ahead rather than just weeks (or even days) in advance.

The most viable options for me right now in the Stockholm area seem to be Bösendorfer, Fazioli, Yamaha, et c. - no Steinways either Hamburg or N.Y. except at the dedicated music halls. I would rather just do impromptu recording at a church some Saturdays with minimum complications and challenges involved!

M.

#2159505 - 09/29/13 07:25 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Michael Sayers]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Call Hurstwood Farm? They may know someone in Sweden.

#2159611 - 09/29/13 11:54 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
3000 Post Club Member

The best thing to do is to contact the Steingraeber factory in this instance. They are incredibly friendly and helpful.
www.pianocraft.net

#2159823 - 09/29/13 08:37 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Alex Hernandez Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Beautiful, well done!

Blüthner USA, LLC

#2160238 - 09/30/13 10:29 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Alex!
www.pianocraft.net

#2160310 - 10/01/13 04:44 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Keith, I gotta say ... now that I have my Steingreaber Phoenix 205 from HFP I really seriously enjoy every last piece of information you share about Steingraebers. That ST video is great .. As I was considering and looking at pianos I spent a fair amount of time listening to your Eric Himy vids w/Ravel.

Thanks for posting ...

#2160557 - 10/01/13 05:48 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Mark,

I am glad that you enjoyed those videos. The Ravel was recorded with pro gear with a real recording engineer. We need to do a good one on the 192. This particular 192 is pretty spectacular and I actually like it better than the 205 ( which I love ), but it needs to be recorded at a level worthy of the playing and the instrument.
www.pianocraft.net

#2160731 - 10/02/13 04:53 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The playing of the Gershwin Prelude is exquisite.
However, I prefer a less hard piano sound which I suppose could easily be achieved in a professional recording.
rk

#2160747 - 10/02/13 06:33 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Keith, entering into this Steingraeber "world" has been for me all about comparison and experience and "what's possible." The 205 has upped my experience and what it is I'm hearing and discerning. I know this isn't groundbreaking news ...we get to it when we get the opportunity .... HFP also had a 192 when I picked out the 205. They're definitely among the mind bending things.

Derek, I hear you about the hardness of sound. What I've found with Steingraeber and as I'm sure you know is each one accommodates a ton of tonal potential regarding what a technician can pull out of it. Of course a spectacular recording is another (high) level of nuance.

Pianos truly are among the great, amazing things smile

Edited by Mark Polishook (10/02/13 06:54 AM)

#2160756 - 10/02/13 07:39 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Thanks for sharing this, KK. Sounds nice on my PC's Boston speakers. Piano and Shaun are amazing.

I have known that photos are sharp and clear on an IPAD. Mine is fairly new, so didn't realize that they 'recorded'. How did you do that?

How do you think the balance is? (sounds good here) Is the sound bouncing off the wall helping the treble since it is being recorded from the bass side? I am very new to this kind of thing. My piano would be recorded from the other side with the bass next to the wall. Then again, it is not a Steingraeber..., and I am not Schaun either!!!

Thank you for any advice.

#2160856 - 10/02/13 01:31 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
I hear the hardness of sound. I hear that the tech can do a lot. I hear that the recording equipment can do a lot.

Don't forget how much the pianist can do 'on the fly' as they are playing. By the way a pianist balances the notes within each handful, a remarkable tonal variety can be obtained. Some pianos let a pianist do that better than others.

I am hearing that hardness at all dynamic levels. It should be available but reserved as an extra more dramatic tone colour when desired. all I am hearing is the raw piano sound.

While more sophisticated electronics can soften tone, it is at the expense of other tonal aspects. Experienced recording engineers can hear these trade~offs and don't like to use this capability.

A pianist can add depth of field to their playing, particularly in the Liszt/Wagner where there are many voices that can be contrasted with each other by variety of tone colour as well as dynamics. Some can employ different levels of projection but that doesn't come out on recordings. .

While variety of tone color cannot be added in post production, general depth of field can if the initial microphone placement is conducive.

It certainly doesn't help that the piano is in a corner and facing into a wall. While the piano does radiate undeveloped sound all around it, there is about twice as much radiates forward. Piano sound takes a good few feet to develop and reflected sound seems to take more if it is not to sound 'claustrophobic'. I often see recording engineers using a measuring tape. I understand the limitations of the equipment available but at least turn the piano into the room to show everything at its best. Particularly if you are to use it promotionally.
Has anybody ever chosen to use one of these pianos in a first class recording studio for general commercial release?

Eschew obfuscation.

#2160924 - 10/02/13 05:17 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Great playing, great piano.

Thanks for posting it, Keith.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2160928 - 10/02/13 05:31 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: rxd]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rxd

Has anybody ever chosen to use one of these pianos in a first class recording studio for general commercial release?

Hi RXD,

Part of the hardness of the sound is due to the IPAD recording software which certainly is balanced in that direction. Part of it is the very unfortunate placement of the piano for the recording which was done very quickly and obviously without any thought for maxing out the recording quality. Part of it is that Steingraeber's have an aggressive voicing from the factory which is geared towards maximum dynamic range and it can come off as hard. The instruments respond beautifully to voicing in any direction because the inherent energy is off the charts and we work very closely with our clients voicing the Steingraebers to their taste and for the acoustic in which the pianos end up living.

As for commercial recordings, yes, Steingraebers have been used quite a bit for commercial recordings. Here is a Steingraeber 272, prepped by PianoCraft, in what I hope you will find to be a good quality recording. I think this recording is quite stunning in every respect.

www.pianocraft.net

#2160978 - 10/02/13 09:05 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
otherside Offline

My personal favorite is the 205 Ravel piano, since it is so balanced, I would love to have such an instrument for myself as well (not possible however).

What is the story behind this instrument, it seems to be somewhat different?

#2160980 - 10/02/13 09:20 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Keith

Beautiful.

As I am sure you will agree, Eric Himy is one of the greatest pianists that is not famous that I know of. He should be famous of course, and I hope he will be.

In that sense, he is somewhat akin to another truly great artist that is relatively unknown, and that is the great Cuban pianist Jorge Luis Prats.

Both are wonderful artists.

#2161154 - 10/03/13 11:20 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
OMG, what a gorgeous recording! I love the use of the artwork by Rousseau and Himy's playing.

#2161209 - 10/03/13 01:21 PM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: sophial]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, the Debussy is superb - both with the pianist and the piano!

And Shaun Tirrell is an excellent pianist as well. I hope the Gershwin recording stays up in spite of the sound effect of the recording apparatus and the position of the piano in the corner with the lid fully raised. It has a nice lyricism and flexibility with a lot going on. Maybe if he takes it down then some day in the future he can re-record the Gershwin under conditions that will show him to best advantage.

M.

#2161703 - 10/04/13 11:09 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Michael Sayers]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers
Yes, the Debussy is superb - both with the pianist and the piano!

And Shaun Tirrell is an excellent pianist as well. I hope the Gershwin recording stays up in spite of the sound effect of the recording apparatus and the position of the piano in the corner with the lid fully raised. It has a nice lyricism and flexibility with a lot going on. Maybe if he takes it down then some day in the future he can re-record the Gershwin under conditions that will show him to best advantage.

M.

Hi Michael,

I am glad you like the Debussy and especially appreciate your recognition of Shaun's playing in spite of the recorded sound. Shaun is a really good Gershwin player and I also hope he finds time to record some Gershwin under better conditions.

Shaun is actually playing a bunch of Gershwin this Sunday as part of a benefit concert for ocular melanoma research.

Sunday, October 6, 2013
1:00 PM: Art Show
1:45 PM: Concert
4:30 PM: Reception

Sixth & I Street Historic Synagogue
600 I Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001

In support of Sheila Levine for the benefit of
Melanoma Research Foundation/CURE OM (www.cureom.org)
www.pianocraft.net

#2161998 - 10/05/13 05:28 AM Re: Steingraeber B - 192 Gershwin Prelude Shaun Tirrell [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Keith,

Maybe the benefit concert will be recorded?

The live recordings of Shaun are the ones I enjoy the most, as with the Rachmaninoff and also the Domenico Scarlatti, and of course it is in live performances that pianists tend to show the widest range of colours and effects.

I sense he is very modest and humble but I think that many persons would enjoy hearing more of him.

p.s. - I am all for benefit concerts, performing to help persons in need, et c. In my belief it is the circumstance where the transformative and giving nature of great music shines brightest.

M.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (accordeur, Alux, AndrewAJC, AmateurBob, 27 invisible), 1234 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155840 Topics
2288426 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nosferatu (1922) film score - Gabriela Montero
by pv88
07/13/14 11:25 PM
New Clavinova CLP-480 recording
by pv88
07/13/14 10:53 PM
Saint-saens concerto 2 Schirmer edition question
by JessicaB
07/13/14 08:40 PM
How far to go?
by ChopinFan66
07/13/14 05:00 PM
"Canned" Accompanyments like Music Minus One?
by Kojak
07/13/14 04:16 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission