2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Well, it's funny to observe how you see my country smile
But it's true. We have a nice climate. Look what I found:

Lisbon Holiday Weather Overview
Lisbon boasts one of Europe's mildest climates and warmest winter (December to February) seasons. Weather in Lisbon during winter has daytime temperatures that average over 15°C and the city rarely sees snow. Summer (June to September) is Lisbon's driest and hottest season with average daytime temperatures peaking at 28°C in August. Spring (March to May) and autumn (October to November) Lisbon daytime temperatures range from 17°C to 22°C.

Lisbon, the capital city and largest city of Portugal, experiences a Subtropical-Mediterranean climate with fairly cold winters and hot summers.

Summer
Summer season in Lisbon starts in May and lasts till October. During this season the average high temperature in Lisbon stands at mid twenties while the low stays at 20°C. August is considered as the hottest month of the year with more than 30°C of average high temperature. It gets a very high level of sunshine; more than 360 hours in July. The season gets a much reduced level of rainfall as July remains the driest with 5mm of precipitation.

Winter
Throughout the winter months Lisbon receives abundant of rainfall as December, the wettest month of the year, receives around 120mm of precipitation. Although temperature drops in winter, it remains still fairly warm for the tourists. The average high often climbs to high teen while the low hardly falls below 10°C, as during January and February, the coldest months of the year, the average low temperature in Lisbon stands at 9.3°C. It is a year round destination, you may visit whenever you like albeit experienced tourist prefer the summer months to wet winter.

Read more at http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Lisbon-weather/Lisboa/PT.aspx#5sdVyRTpV5ur5x4H.99

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Dipsy
I'd love to come but won't know if I could go for months. It will very much depend on finances, which are very limited because of essential building work to my home (like hot running water).

Plumbing work?! In a stone house I imagine. You should just come to the US. Our houses are made of tissue paper fashioned into elaborate origami shapes and when the plumbing goes we just wad them up and buy a new one.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
I'm searching for a location in Lisbon to do our EPP.
I'm also contacting some hotels to ask for group discounts. My idea is to find an hotel WITH group discounts AND a piano hall. That would be nice.

(Of course everybody is free to decide where to stay in Lisbon. I only want to find the best prices so you can decide for yourself.)

Let's wait for the responses.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
That's great Carlos! I think it would be great fun if we could organize staying in the same hotel!

You are a master organizer, I can see!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Luckily only the good hotels have a piano and conference rooms.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I think you should bring Mr. & Mrs. PianoWorld over as guests.
After all, it is a Piano World Piano Party :-)

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I think this is coming along really well Carlos and look forward to watching this event unfold!!!

NOTICE TO ALL PARTICIPANTS:

We actually have a forum for parties and special events. It doesn't get a lot of traffic, but it exists smile

In the near future this thread is going to be moved over to that forum. - for 2 reasons
1 - that's where it belongs smile
2 - there is less traffic there and it will stay near the top of the forum without being stickied.

At the moment we've got a few too many stickies going on and as this is of particular interest to a small group rather than the forum at large it really shouldn't be pegged.

I'd like to suggest that anyone following this thread put it in their "Watched thread" list. (At the top of the screen, beside the "new reply" button there is a "Topic Options" button - click and one of the options is to add the thread to your list.

When I move the thread there will be a notification in the old spot for a week, and then we'll be over in the new forum.

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano World
I think you should bring Mr. & Mrs. PianoWorld over as guests.
After all, it is a Piano World Piano Party :-)

I don't think we have the funding to "bring you over" -but it would be a delight to have you join us!

[Linked Image]

Yes Whizbang - (its a stone/brick/concrete house.) Maybe your origami US houses could be filled with little night lights, (like the chinese do with their paper lanterns). Then, filled with warm light, they could float up into the night sky and waft their way across the Atlantic to join in the party!

( I know I'm being fanciful, but what the heck!)

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dipsy
Yes Whizbang - (its a stone/brick/concrete house.) Maybe your origami US houses could be filled with little night lights, (like the chinese do with their paper lanterns). Then, filled with warm light, they could float up into the night sky and waft their way across the Atlantic to join in the party!

( I know I'm being fanciful, but what the heck!)

It would be a very unique way to travel... Since you arrive here in time for our party, for me, it's okay!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

WOW, It's an honor to have the founder of PW with us. Looking forward to meet you in person! thumb

[Linked Image]

NOTICE:
Pay attention to our moderator's notification: this thread is going to be moved over parties and special events forum. So, put this thread in your "Watched topics" list. Don't miss any update of our EPP2014.

How to add EPP2014 to "Watched topics" list:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Ok everyone - please note that the thread is now in the parties forum, ... let the planning continue!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, I'll add to the confusion by saying: Yes, I am interested in attending; but I don't confirm yet. It's a matter of timing and resources and planning; Lisbon is not exactly around the corner. Plus, I don't speak Portuguese.
So right now I'll go for a 45% chance of me attending.

In case the odds increase: I would welcome if we could stay in one hotel; but it's not a requirement. If we stay in one hotel, I want a single room. If it's not possible, I'd look for a hotel on my own.

Anyway: Thanks to Carlos for organizing the event, and we'll hopefully see each other next year. smile

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Hello patH! you are in the "maybe" list. Thanks for your interest!
And don't worry about the portuguese. Almost everybody has English as the second language.

I'm trying to get some group discounts so you could stay in the same hotel. It's not a promise, but I'll try.

[Linked Image]

NOTICE:
Put this thread in your "Watched topics" list. Don't miss any update of our EPP2014.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
I wish I could.... nothing really stopping me, except for the fact that I have never travelled much outside where I live nor do I have a passport so going alone to something like this would be a BIG jump laugh

That said I bet I would enjoy it if I ever did give it a shot!

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi UKIkarus, welcome to EPP2014 thread!

I understand your concern... Maybe someone in England can travel with you to Portugal. I can put your name in the "maybe" list with a note asking for a traveler partner (look at Saranoya's case). What do you think?

And, here is some information about ID cards and passports when traveling inside Europe:

NO CARDS needed (ID or passport) when traveling from/to a Shengen countries:
If you are an EU national , you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another:
Austria, Hungary, Norway, Belgium, Iceland, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Portugal, Denmark, Latvia, Slovakia, Estonia, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Finland, Lithuania, Spain, France, Luxembourg, Sweden, Germany, Malta, Switzerland.

CARDS needed when (ID or passport):
You must still show a valid ID card or passport when travelling to or from Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. Though part of the EU, these countries do not belong to the border-free Schengen area. Before travelling, check what documents you must have to travel outside your home country and to enter the non Schengen EU country you plan to visit.

Detailed information here: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm

Looking forward to know your decision.
Thanks.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
A
A
Pretty sure you still need your ID card to fly, even within the Schengen countries. But you can freely go by car or train.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I think Allard is right - I've seen Italians showing their ID cards as we have gone into Germany, Brussels, Spain and France.....

As we are Canadians living in Italy we have to show our passports - and in Germany they want our passports AND our Italian ID cards. I think (actually I KNOW) that's wrong, but who is going to argue with passport control guards?

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Of course, thanks for the information.

Look at this notice in the europe.eu website:

Even if you don't need a passport for border checks within the Schengen area, it is still always best to take a passport or ID card with you, so you can prove your identity if needed (if stopped by police, boarding a plane, etc.).
Driving licences, post, bank or tax cards are not accepted as valid travel documents or proof of identity.

I always have my ID card when I travel within Europe. By plane, car, or train.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Hello everybody!

I'll be on vacation until next October 10. We will travel to the Algarve and I *hope* I can be away from the computer during the stay - with a bright sun in the sky and an air temperature of 26 degrees during the day, you guys think I'll stay in the hotel???? And if the weather gets worse I'll be happily playing the piano in the hotel -.thumb

Anyway, you guys can continue to write in this thread because when I come home, I'll read the news.

All the best,
CarlosCC

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission