2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
OP Offline
G
Finally got the chance to try some this weekend!

Mainly looked at Yamaha models, the P35, P105 and P155.

Not going to lie, they didn't feel/sound worlds apart to me :P Mainly because I haven't been playing the piano recently I think and so any subtle differences were lost. On that note, I'm guessing once I get back into the swing of things, playing regularly I might then start to notice the smaller details.

The prices were (for the basic keyboard with 2 year warranty), £350, £500 and £1100 respectively. I think I would get a 'proper' pedal for it (designed like a normal piano, rather than a small pad), and a half decent stool, along with a stand, which all would obviously add to the price, making the P155 rather pricey frown

Trying to get back into playing by learning some Chopin!
O
O
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm
Finally got the chance to try some this weekend!

Mainly looked at Yamaha models, the P35, P105 and P155.

Not going to lie, they didn't feel/sound worlds apart to me :P Mainly because I haven't been playing the piano recently I think and so any subtle differences were lost. On that note, I'm guessing once I get back into the swing of things, playing regularly I might then start to notice the smaller details.

The prices were (for the basic keyboard with 2 year warranty), £350, £500 and £1100 respectively. I think I would get a 'proper' pedal for it (designed like a normal piano, rather than a small pad), and a half decent stool, along with a stand, which all would obviously add to the price, making the P155 rather pricey frown

The pricing of the P155 in Europe is a complete ripoff. The under £1000 models from Casio and Kawai are much better propositions so long as the keys agree with you.

I
I

I think I would get a 'proper' pedal for it (designed like a normal piano, rather than a small pad), and a half decent stool, along with a stand, which all would obviously add to the price, making the P155 rather pricey frown

I sold my Yamaha P155 to get a Kawai ES7. I strongly recommend you to have a go at ES7 before committing to P155.

C
C
That is only if GeorgeStorm is willing to spend additional 400 quid above his initial budget.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by ONfrank

The pricing of the P155 in Europe is a complete ripoff. The under £1000 models from Casio and Kawai are much better propositions so long as the keys agree with you.

I'll probably be happy with whatever I get actually :P Just need to make sure I get something that's good value for money (buying a new P155 doesn't seem to be)

Originally Posted by iceporky

I sold my Yamaha P155 to get a Kawai ES7. I strongly recommend you to have a go at ES7 before committing to P155.

From a quick google, the ES7 seems to be even more pricey than the P155! frown

Originally Posted by Clayman
That is only if GeorgeStorm is willing to spend additional 400 quid above his initial budget.

Exactly, at the moment I'm probably leaning towards the P35/105 if buying new (purely based on cost).

Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 10/01/13 05:20 AM.

G
OP Offline
G
I've now been offered a DGX-630B with stool and pedal for £500, hadn't looked at that model at all.
But I'm guessing the stand can be taken apart, so it may be quite good when compared to a P105 which would cost more?

Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 10/02/13 06:16 AM.

E
E
The ES7 on sale at UK pianos at £1136 seems to include the very expensive official furniture stand and triple pedals along with a bench and headphones.
http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/kawai-es7

That looks an excellent deal and is only about £37 above what the P-155 costs on it's own.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
The ES7 on sale at UK pianos at £1136 seems to include the very expensive official furniture stand and triple pedals along with a bench and headphones.
http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/kawai-es7

That looks an excellent deal and is only about £37 above what the P-155 costs on it's own.

I hadn't seen that, that does look pretty good, although still seems like a lot of money to me frown
It doesn't look like it actually shows/says what the extras exactly are but I may contact them to try and find out.

As I said above, I was leaning towards going for something nearer the £500 mark, but if you guys think the ES7 is really worth it I may see about being able to afford it.

G
OP Offline
G
Also what are the opinions on something like the YDP142 when compared to the P series?
Better or worse? If the stand can be relatively easily taken apart/put back together, then I could be willing to go for more that style of DP, rather than a purely portable model like the P series.

Looks like a YDP162 can be had with extras for less than £1000, if it can be taken apart without too many (hopefully none at all!) issues, and the quality will be better since it doesn't need to have the ability to be as portable as the P series, then it certainly appeals to me smile

Last edited by GeorgeStorm; 10/03/13 05:35 AM.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
It's beginning to sound like the YDP162 is what you want. It's the cheapest console-style Yamaha that features the GH action. It's more-or-less on par with the P155, I'd say. The quality will not be better in any way that I'm aware of. Well, perhaps the speakers will be better...but still not particularly good.

The YDP142 is similar, but features the cheaper GHS action and is more comparable to the P105.

As a rule, console pianos are not higher quality than portable pianos of equivalent price/level.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by gvfarns
It's beginning to sound like the YDP162 is what you want. It's the cheapest console-style Yamaha that features the GH action. It's more-or-less on par with the P155, I'd say. The quality will not be better in any way that I'm aware of. Well, perhaps the speakers will be better...but still not particularly good.

The YDP142 is similar, but features the cheaper GHS action and is more comparable to the P105.

As a rule, console pianos are not higher quality than portable pianos of equivalent price/level.

Well, the main reason it sounds like a good idea to me is I'm assuming it will be of a similar quality to the P155 (with the same action), but is £200 less :P (losing some portability obviously).

Fair enough, I was hoping they would be (since they don't have to be portable).

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah I'm stuck in US pricing, where the P155 is cheaper than the YDP162. Whichever of those is cheaper is probably the way to go.

Don't forget the new Kawai ES100 as well.

G
OP Offline
G
Yeah I'm stuck in US pricing, where the P155 is cheaper than the YDP162. Whichever of those is cheaper is probably the way to go.

Yeah, the P155 is roughly £1100 and the YDP162 £900 it seems.

Had a quick google, doesn't seem to be available? How's it going to compare to the ES7?

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
The ES7 uses an upgraded action and also upgraded sounds. The ES100 is kind of a stripped down ES6, which was the predecessor of the ES7. But then, it's a ton cheaper too.

It's brand new, so I'm not sure when it will actually be purchasable but I would expect pretty soon.

S
S

Yeah, the P155 is roughly £1100 and the YDP162 £900 it seems.

Had a quick google, doesn't seem to be available? How's it going to compare to the ES7?

George, I wouldn't get the overpriced ES7. The overlooked feature that really matters on a digital is whether the keys thump hard (excessive noise caused by hard bottoming out of the keys).

The thumping is extremely annoying to the point that it will drive you away from the instrument. Even some $2000 digitals have terrible thumping.

You shouldn't have to pay a huge premium (eg. ES7) for something so basic.

As for sounds, I think only the Casios still lag behind in providing an acceptable sound generator.

Wait for the ES100.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
GeorgeStorm: First rule of digital piano forum is not to listen to anything StarvingLion says, on any subject. It may not be obvious from this thread but he's a hideous troll who knows nothing about digital pianos and just comes around to raise feathers. He is literally the worst such troll I've ever seen, so please overlook his comments whenever they come up. If something he says makes sense, it will be by dumb luck.

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/04/13 01:36 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"As for sounds, I think only the Casios still lag behind in providing an acceptable sound generator."

You`ll surely be aware that many pianos with the same sound generator are not equal. Not even close . . .SuperNatural is not SuperConsistant across the range; very misleading.

It`ll be the same with the other brands. It`s all in the peripherals! So you need a Peripheral Piano for best results.

I have one . . . Doesn`t sound much like a Concert grand - but I don`t care . . . I like it!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Depending on your need for bells&whisthles, you can also look at the Kawai CL models and Roland F-20 and RP-301

S
S
Originally Posted by peterws
"As for sounds, I think only the Casios still lag behind in providing an acceptable sound generator."

You`ll surely be aware that many pianos with the same sound generator are not equal. Not even close . . .SuperNatural is not SuperConsistant across the range; very misleading.

It`ll be the same with the other brands. It`s all in the peripherals! So you need a Peripheral Piano for best results.

I have one . . . Doesn`t sound much like a Concert grand - but I don`t care . . . I like it!

Too early to tell about the Roland F-20

T
T
Originally Posted by StarvingLion

Too early to tell about the Roland F-20

But not too early for many of us normal, reasonable PianoWorld Forum members to have identified you as a ridiculous troll, months ago. But like a bad penny, you keep on turning up.

Last edited by Tritium; 10/04/13 11:37 PM.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission