Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2162057 - 10/05/13 09:49 AM Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into?
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
No, I'm not planning to apply, ha ha...just curious. Of course "hardest to get into" could mean different things but I'm really talking about requiring the greatest pianistic skill/talent in the applicant.

With schools that are not conservatories one measure of difficulty could be the the average SAT score but I assume there is no similar measure for conservatory applicants. Another possible criteria could be the percent of applicants that are accepted, but I'm not sure this is very meaningful since most applicants who are not of the highest ability will probably not apply to the most difficult schools. So I'm mostly asking you to answer based on what you've heard unless you think there is an objective way to measure how hard it is to get into a school.

I'm guessing Juilliard and Curtis are two of the hardest to get into but I'm not really familiar with many schools outside of NYC.

I'd also be interested in your opinion about the which schools in Europe are the hardest to get into.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/05/13 12:32 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2162060 - 10/05/13 10:01 AM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
According to the criteria you've set out, Curtis, by far, would be the most difficult. It isn't what I've heard (which would be hearsay would it not...which means you should really delete that bit), it's fact.
But really... who cares? Pointless thread.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2162082 - 10/05/13 11:20 AM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
Getting in the Conservatories are easy if you can pay the FULL tuition. Yes this is a fact and I knew this from Admissions office. Don't ask which one. smile

If you are asking about getting in Conservatories with FULL SCHOLARSHIP, then pretty much ALL top 10 Conservatories are extremely difficult to get in.

#2162088 - 10/05/13 11:26 AM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Which are these? (the top 10?)

#2162094 - 10/05/13 11:42 AM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Alan Lai]

Originally Posted By: Alan Lai
Getting in the Conservatories are easy if you can pay the FULL tuition. Yes this is a fact and I knew this from Admissions office. Don't ask which one. smile

If you are asking about getting in Conservatories with FULL SCHOLARSHIP, then pretty much ALL top 10 Conservatories are extremely difficult to get in.
I can't imagine that simply the ability to play full tuition can gain one admittance to a top conservatory?

Edited by pianoloverus (10/05/13 12:33 PM)

#2162103 - 10/05/13 11:57 AM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I'm guessing Julliard and Curtis are two of the hardest to get into but I'm not really familiar with many schools outside of NYC.

PLU, to nit-pick in your answering style, I would point out that Curtis is not in NYC.

Curtis is the hardest to get into in all disciplines, in the USA, and not just pianists.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2162106 - 10/05/13 12:04 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
I would say Curtis. Juilliard - I don't know. I'd say Yale is more difficult to get into. I know people who have gotten into Juilliard but not Yale... also I know people who have gotten into Juilliard but not Rice (graduate), etc.. it's really random.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2162112 - 10/05/13 12:11 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
As with everything that a person might find on the Internet, if a person is serious, please take some time to find other sources. Top music schools listed at:
http://www.uscollegeranking.org/music/2012-top-music-school-rankings.html

Again, I don't know how reliable that source is. The top 10 from that list:
1 University of Rochester (Eastman School of Music) NY
2 Juilliard School NY
3 Curtis Institute of Music PA
4 New England Conservatory of Music MA
5 Indiana University-Bloomington IN
6 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor MI
7 Northwestern University IL
8 Oberlin College Conservatory OH
9 University of Cincinnati OH
10 University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign IL

Like all lists, I am sure there is some disagreement. Again, I have not taken the time to delve into what factors go into the list. Some college lists use cost as a factor, so that lower cost schools move up because they are deemed a better value for those that are paying full freight.

Curtis has a blurb that comes up in a search that says they are the most selective, with 4% of applicants getting in, so the reply mentioning Curtis has some merit. I did not find a list with acceptance rates. Most individual schools give out that information, but I am not going to thirty websites and spend a couple of hours to satisfy someone else's curiosity. Someone else can go for that project, if they have the time. Even then, selectivity alone is not that strong an indication. The bigger name schools attract more applicants.

I believe that finances do play a role, but only for applicants that are near the cut line.

There are other factors than the audition. Diversity is a goal for most schools, so life story, personality, other background information are part of the picture. Again, this is mostly for filling out the class.

#2162115 - 10/05/13 12:27 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]

The problem with the above list is the combination of Schools of Music, as a department of a University, with a true Conservatory. In their rankings they are including academic requirements/results as a measure, rather than performance in a given discipline. Other than the testing of the nuts and bolts courses such as theory, history, etc., performance is the objective.

#2162119 - 10/05/13 12:32 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Alan Lai Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

I can imagine that just the ability to play full tuition can gain one admittance to a top conservatory?

More or less. Of course you have to be able to play adequately well. From what I know, your audition will be graded from 1 to 5 points, where 5 is the highest. To be able to get full scholarship and admitted, you have to earn 5 points.

#2162120 - 10/05/13 12:34 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Pogorelich.]

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
I would say Curtis. Juilliard - I don't know. I'd say Yale is more difficult to get into. I know people who have gotten into Juilliard but not Yale... also I know people who have gotten into Juilliard but not Rice (graduate), etc.. it's really random.
How about in Europe?

#2162121 - 10/05/13 12:35 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Alan Lai Offline

Really depends on their scholarship openings actually.

#2162122 - 10/05/13 12:35 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Getting into a good conservatory and getting big scholarship money are indeed two different things but don't think that the folks paying full tuition at Juilliard or Peabody or Eastman or whatever don't play with a professional competence.
Getting accepted into specific studios and degree programs also gets more and more selective. You want to go to Peabody? Great! You want to study with Leon Fleisher at Peabody? That is another story.

There are artist diploma programs that are very selective and then performance degree programs that are basically the same program but not nearly as selective. Artist Diploma at Peabody was much more difficult to get into then the Doctorate program but many Artist Diploma people ended up in the DMA program so they could get a teaching position.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#2162123 - 10/05/13 12:38 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Keith D Kerman]
Alan Lai Offline

Originally Posted By: Keith D Kerman
Getting into a good conservatory and getting big scholarship money are indeed two different things but don't think that the folks paying full tuition at Juilliard or Peabody or Eastman or whatever don't play with a professional competence.
Getting accepted into specific studios and degree programs also gets more and more selective. You want to go to Peabody? Great! You want to study with Leon Fleisher at Peabody? That is another story.

There are artist diploma programs that are very selective and then performance degree programs that are basically the same program but not nearly as selective. Artist Diploma at Peabody was much more difficult to get into then the Doctorate program but many Artist Diploma people ended up in the DMA program so they could get a teaching position.

The Artistic diploma is usually ranked higher than Bachelor's. Some sort of in-between BM and MM, and without all the music theory/history/paper requirement of MM.

#2162129 - 10/05/13 01:00 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Alan Lai]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...

The Artistic diploma is usually ranked higher than Bachelor's. Some sort of in-between BM and MM, and without all the music theory/history/paper requirement of MM.

At Peabody it was by far the most selective program and almost everyone who got in had at least a Masters degree. I am not familiar with Artist Diplomas at other schools.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#2162133 - 10/05/13 01:12 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Alan Lai]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...]Of course you have to be able to play adequately well. From what I know, your audition will be graded from 1 to 5 points, where 5 is the highest. To be able to get full scholarship and admitted, you have to earn 5 points.

"From what [you] know ...." Just how much do you know about admission to US Conservatories. How do you know that they all have the same marking standards? How do you know that earning "5 points" will guarantee admission and scholarship? What is your source of information for these claims?

What about those Conservatories that not only have an annual quota but, in some cases, have announced that they are not accepting applicants in certain disciplines in some years? If the quota is met, then it doesn't matter how good a musician is; s/he will not be admitted.

#2162137 - 10/05/13 01:30 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
I think it's an interesting subject to discuss and to see what people say, but (need we say) smile there can't be any clear answers, especially in trying to separate the top few.

Even in trying to rank universities (I don't mean on music, but overall), which I think isn't as hard because of availability of so much data of many sorts, there is never any clear separation at the top although the rankings pretend there is. Everybody would agree that the top few are "harder to get into" than #15 or #20, but, is there any clear separation among Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Caltech, Stanford, and perhaps a few other schools? I don't think so. Sure, there's some apples and oranges here, but what about even just MIT and Caltech? I don't think so either.

I think what's being compared here is essentially the Harvards, Princetons, MIT's and Caltechs of conservatories, and I think it's even harder to separate them than with the universities. It depends too much on subjective takes of individual aspects of the applicants, including who they've studied with and how that does or doesn't gibe with the particular conservatory, and who they might study with at the conservatory and what kind of match that seems to be.

edit: I think I'm saying basically what Pogo said but in a different way. And I see that Kreisler quibbled with that (below), especially the "random" thing.

A few words about "random": grin

It doesn't mean what it used to mean. I think Kreisler was criticizing it in terms of the traditional meaning (many of us would say the "correct" meaning ha and I would too, but that's a different discussion). smile
Common current usage has given it the additional meaning -- related to the traditional meaning, but different: without any predictable pattern because it depends on too much "who knows" types of stuff. (The old meaning would be, not having anything to do with anything at all; might as well throw darts.) Or, in other words, you can't really rank them in any precise way -- which I think is all that we're both saying.

Edited by Mark_C (10/05/13 01:59 PM)

#2162139 - 10/05/13 01:33 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA

Not random at all. Yale and Rice both have very attractive financial aid packages. (Both are basically free if you get in.) As a result, they have an enormous number of applicants.

Also, I don't know about Yale, but when I talked to Rice's admissions officer several years ago, he told me that Rice has an enrollment cap. (Similar to Curtis.) It doesn't matter how good you are - if the spots are filled, you're not getting in.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2162168 - 10/05/13 03:11 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Alan Lai]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

Not random at all. Yale and Rice both have very attractive financial aid packages. (Both are basically free if you get in.) As a result, they have an enormous number of applicants.

Also, I don't know about Yale, but when I talked to Rice's admissions officer several years ago, he told me that Rice has an enrollment cap. (Similar to Curtis.) It doesn't matter how good you are - if the spots are filled, you're not getting in.

I know.. but Rice isn't always completely free, like Yale. It has money, but it's not "if you get in, you get full no matter what". I have many, many friends at Rice and have been there several times, and that's what I've discovered.

But yeah, it's about numbers. As it is with most good schools? Don't most of them have certain maximum numbers of students? I know my former school does..

Really depends on their scholarship openings actually.

Who's? Juilliard has way less $ than Rice for scholarships. And Yale is loaded, hence it's free.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2162172 - 10/05/13 03:14 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Praeludium Offline

Loc: Besançon, France
I don't know about the US, but in France there is a very strange system : there are only two conservatories which are designed to train future high-level musicians - but there are dozens of smaller regional/departemental conservatories with a good (smaller) level nonetheless, you just can't pass a bachelor or a master there ^^
Those two are the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Paris and the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Lyon.
It's incredibly hard to get into them, as far as I can understand.
At Paris Conservatory they ask for a Bach or Shostakovitch Prelude&Fugue, a étude from Chopin and another one, and two pieces of different eras (classical/romantic and modern/contemporary). That's the admissibility laugh After that the chosen candidates are supposed to learn an imposed program and they have to sight-read (if you miss it you can be eliminated) too.
The jury basically expect the musicians who come in to be perfect technically, whatever instrument that is. You can't enter in piano/cello/violin/flute if you're older than 22 (for the other instruments it's mostly 24), they like their recrues young, and there are very few places for a lot of persons who try to enter.
For me some young pianists with the typical CNSM path are Jean-Frédéric Neuburger (who recorder the complete Chopin études at 16), Adam Laloum and Natacha Kudritskaya (playing a wonderful Rameau on YT). That's subjective though.

That's the French system ^^' and that's why many young French musicians actually end up studying elsewhere (Germany, etc.), because even if it's hard it's probably not as elitist as Paris Conservatory (Lyon is a bit more "normal". That's so hard because there are two schools for a country of 70 million persons).

Edited by Praeludium (10/05/13 03:15 PM)

#2162182 - 10/05/13 03:42 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Pogorelich.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
... but Rice isn't always completely free, like Yale. It has money, but it's not "if you get in, you get full no matter what". I have many, many friends at Rice and have been there several times, and that's what I've discovered.

In some cases when you get admitted to Rice you simply get in. My son spent two years at Rice earning a Masters degree in Architecture and walked away with a hefty $50K college loan debt. grin

#2162185 - 10/05/13 03:50 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Sand Tiger]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
As with everything that a person might find on the Internet, if a person is serious, please take some time to find other sources. Top music schools listed at:

2 Juilliard School NY

Strange list indeed. Yale comes in at #11 and Rice doesn't even make the top 20.

#2162207 - 10/05/13 04:30 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: carey]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: carey

2 Juilliard School NY

Strange list indeed. Yale comes in at #11 and Rice doesn't even make the top 20.

Maybe they don't give out such information.

#2162215 - 10/05/13 04:58 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I seriously doubt Rochester beats Curtis......... but okay..

#2162222 - 10/05/13 05:23 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Pogorelich.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I seriously doubt Rochester beats Curtis......... but okay..

I agree..... crazy

#2162224 - 10/05/13 05:24 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW
http://www.uscollegeranking.org/music/2012-top-music-school-rankings.html.
Not quite sure what you mean - I got it from the link provided above to the FULL list of 30 schools.

Edited by carey (10/05/13 05:25 PM)

#2162229 - 10/05/13 05:33 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: carey]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JoelW
http://www.uscollegeranking.org/music/2012-top-music-school-rankings.html.
Not quite sure what you mean - I got it from the link provided above to the FULL list of 30 schools.

What I meant was, perhaps they do not give out their acceptance rate information, but I see now.

#2162235 - 10/05/13 05:58 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]

Does anyone consider Rice, MIT, Yale, or (et al) to be among the great music conservatories in the US? Really?

Curtis has a fixed number of students. When there is an availability in the orchestra, as example, there is an audition for that particular opening. This also applies to the piano department. There is no tuition. Financial assistance is available to meet other expenses. And, get this, all piano students are provided a Steinway for their off campus residence.

Among teachers who have students at the artist level, Curtis is the most difficult to gain acceptance.

#2162262 - 10/05/13 07:04 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Does anyone consider Rice, MIT, Yale, or (et al) to be among the great music conservatories in the US? Really?

Curtis has a fixed number of students. When there is an availability in the orchestra, as example, there is an audition for that particular opening. This also applies to the piano department. There is no tuition. Financial assistance is available to meet other expenses. And, get this, all piano students are provided a Steinway for their off campus residence.

Among teachers who have students at the artist level, Curtis is the most difficult to gain acceptance.

I don't know their piano programs, but some top string players have come out of Yale and Rice. And wasn't one of the successful Cliburn competitors from Yale?

Of course, Rice and Yale also have outstanding academic programs.

Edited by ClsscLib (10/05/13 07:05 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2162273 - 10/05/13 07:51 PM Re: Which conservatories in the US are hardest to get into? [Re: pianoloverus]

If memory serves, in the recent VCC the pianist the pianist to whom you refer is Sean Chen. He holds both a Bachelor's and Master's Degree from Juilliard. He is currently working on an Artist Diploma from Yale in order to study with Hung-Kuan Chen and Tema Blackstone. The importance of an AD is with whom you study, rather than where you are schooled.

Compared to the artist level output of, say, Curtis, Juilliard, Eastman, Oberlin, et al, the additions of Rice or Yale to the world of performance are minimal at best. The single student does not make the school.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (ajames, 89grand, 36251, 52 invisible), 1392 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157091 Topics
2306972 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
20 minutes 39 seconds ago
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
Today at 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission