Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2162892 - 10/07/13 07:33 AM Best Methods of Advertising
Rebecca Piano Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I just opened the doors to my own studio, I used to work elsewhere as a sub-contractor at a different studio.

I'd love to hear what has worked for you/what hasn't worked for you in terms of advertising for your piano studio.
http://www.pianolessonswithrebecca.com/

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2162989 - 10/07/13 11:53 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
nyke Offline

I think the best rule for marketing and advertising is trial and error. What may work for some may not work for others.
Also what may work for you at one time unfortunately may not work at a later time.
Some pretty standard ways of advertising are:
1. flyers
2. magazine ads
3. online website SEO
4. Social Media
However, if you plan to be successful with your own business and you define success as having 100 students or more you really should consider researching more about branding, marketing & advertising.
http://facebook.com/MusicAcademyAdvantage
Twitter Follow: @MusicAcademyAdv

#2163000 - 10/07/13 12:35 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: nyke]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: nyke
However, if you plan to be successful with your own business and you define success as having 100 students or more

Yes.

And, specialize in four hand piano. It's a niche market, ripe for exploitation, and lets you get more students into a 40 hour week.

#2163006 - 10/07/13 12:53 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
1. flyers
2. magazine ads
3. online website SEO
4. Social Media
add on
5. CL
6. luxurious referral fee (after new student study for 6 months, then you ca give one month free lesson to the old student who referred the new student)
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2163034 - 10/07/13 01:58 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: TimR]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: TimR
Yes.

And, specialize in four hand piano. It's a niche market, ripe for exploitation, and lets you get more students into a 40 hour week.
Yes! YES! YES!

You do that!

grin

#2163328 - 10/08/13 08:25 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I've been doing the same thing, Rebecca, trying to get new business generated. I had gotten suggestions on this thread after I asked about a particular referral site that takes 25% of your lesson fee for all referrals (I was recommended against doing this).

One of the suggestions was to list on craigslist and smartguy.com. Then I thought, why not angieslist.com, and there have to be other free sites out there. I did a search for piano teacher in my town and looked at the sites that came up. Some of them were free directories, so I submitted my name and website on those. This hopefully will also direct traffic to my new site. Perhaps this would help? It certainly can't hurt, just take a little time.

Also, you can sign up for a free Google analytics account where you can see just who is coming to your website, how long they stay, how many pages they look at, things like that. Go to www.google.com/analytics and click on "Access Google Analytics" at the top right. It's free, but lots of good info there to see what works.

I also recommend posting a lot on here. Pianoworld gets tons of traffic, a lot of lurkers, so the more info you give you, the more clicks you may get through to your site, and possibly get a student that way.

I looked at your website and it looks very clean. I like the articles in your blog, and encourage you to write more. If I may make a recommendation, you amy want to add more pictures to your website. Even if they're just of a piano, but some people pictures too. Perhaps you can find some free stock photos (make sure it's free to use, or you might end up paying a lot of money if they find out you're using it) or buy some inexpensive ones if you don't have the ability to take photos yourself. If you take your own photos, be sure to get permission from the parent or guardian to have the picture of their child up on the site. But I do think pictures help formulate an idea of what lessons with you would be like while also making it seem warm and welcoming. Feel free to look at my site for ideas (some of my photos are place-holders and I am planning on getting more color ones in there!).

I'm also doing flyers with tear-off tabs that I'm going to put up in businesses that are elsewhere in our mall. If there's a music store in your town, you may be able to post one there. We don't have one, but we did where we used to live and this generated a lot of business. Of course, do get to know your local sheet music store owners too, and be sure to send your students there for business rather than ordering online if possible.

If your local elementary and middle schools have music programs, get to know those teachers as well. Perhaps introduce yourself after a school music concert, especially if one of your students goes there. Then the teacher can get to know you and may be more likely to refer you if a parent approaches them about lessons. I usually ask my students to see if they can play one of their recital songs for their class, or at the very least for their teacher as a means of practicing for a performance. Many times kids don't even know their friends take piano, so this is a way of getting them to talk about you!

Lastly, institute a referral service. Offer a free lesson to each student who refers a new student to you. I would make some stipulation that they'd have to sign up for lessons, not just contact you. I'm going to re-implement this now that I've moved and I'm basically starting over.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2163354 - 10/08/13 09:27 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I have never found advertising profitable.
rk

#2163361 - 10/08/13 09:51 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Derek Hartwell]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Derek Hartwell
rk
Not even the free stuff? If you get one student from it, you're immediately in the black.

#2163365 - 10/08/13 10:07 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Derek Hartwell]
nyke Offline

Wow! What sorts of thinks have you done to advertise? How are you depending on receiving new students? Word of Mouth/Referrals
http://facebook.com/MusicAcademyAdvantage
Twitter Follow: @MusicAcademyAdv

#2163393 - 10/08/13 10:52 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hi Rebecca, and welcome smile

As you are in Australia, I can recommend:
http://www.musicteacher.com.au

It is a free music teacher directory, and I have gained a few students from there, here in Perth.

Apart from having your own website, taking out an ad in your local free community newspapers for a few weeks, might help. (It's how I got started here)

Pretty soon, I am sure that 'word of mouth' will be your best friend.

I wish you the best of luck.

#2163438 - 10/08/13 12:21 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Morodiene]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
rk
Not even the free stuff? If you get one student from it, you're immediately in the black.

No. Especially not from free stuff. I notice that most of you are in the U.S. where things must be different.
Bws.
rk

#2163445 - 10/08/13 12:28 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Derek Hartwell]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA

For me, advertisement is not the best way to gain students, but it certainly worked and has been profitable. Not all forms of advertisement works, though. The local parent magazine charges an arm and a leg. The local newspaper is pretty much dead. And I've only gotten a few calls through a school publication.

#2163472 - 10/08/13 01:29 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My favorite story re: acquiring students:

When I first moved to this area, I went on a mass-putting-up-poster spree all around town. I taped them up in offices at the local elementary, middle, and high schools, churches, parks, random lamp posts, and music stores. At the end of that long day, I was feeling weary and was having dinner at Subway right next to the music that store I had just posted some signs up, and had also incidentally bought some sheet music, and was still holding it in my arms while I was in line at Subway. "Oh, you play piano, huh", another customer asked? (I was holding the music books in my arm) "Yeah, actually I teach piano", "That's great! My daughter needs lessons..." "Wait, you teach piano?" said the guy behind the counter.."I want lessons...I think our store owner also wants lessons for his kids!"... Turns out that I got 3 new students from 5 minutes in Subway, and never got a single call from the hours of posters I spent putting up.

The point is you really have to know and talk to people in your community, I think it's paramount. I have never received one student via paper or web advertising (and I worked hard at it). All of my students came as recommendations from other people that I had met in flesh and blood. My recommendation is to go and physically talk and personally introduce yourself to owners of local piano stores, sheet music stores, high school band directors, parent organizations.. etc..

#2163555 - 10/08/13 05:19 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: AZNpiano]
The Monkeys Online   content

Loc: Vancouver BC
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
The local newspaper is pretty much dead.

That's because of the internet, and Google.
Any one tried Google AdWords?

#2163563 - 10/08/13 05:34 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Where I am in Australia, the local paper is far from dead - many people use it as a first call to find tradesmen, businesses and yes, music teachers. The other things which have worked for me or seem to work for others include flyers (with tear-off tabs) in shopping centres or on community notice boards, contact with local schools (including advertising in their newsletters), and joining any local teachers' group. I also second Rob's recommendation of the musicteachers site. Where I am we also have a community arts directory where you can be listed - I've had a number of inquiries from that.

#2163660 - 10/08/13 09:00 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Subway worked so well...Maybe try a sandwich board!

#2163678 - 10/08/13 10:06 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: The Monkeys]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: The Monkeys

Not yet, but I am going to. We have a coupon to get $150 more if we spend $50.

For those that don't know, Google Ads are the ads at the top and sides that come up when you search on Google. The way they work is that you a monthly threshold - let's say $20. That $20 will go toward certain key words that you dictate, and whenever someone clicks your link, the per-click rate that you determine will be used from that $20. So it's very specific.

I think we are going to give this a try and see what we can generate from it.

I think that what some people have said previously, sometimes you just don't know until you try it and see if it works. Opus_Maximus never would have met up with those people had he not been out and about setting up posters, so while the act in itself didn't work, he/she learned from it and figured out that interaction was the best way for them.

#2163689 - 10/08/13 10:17 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Morodiene]

The moral of Opus_Maximu's story is, don't bother to tape your posters, just wear it laugh

#2163711 - 10/08/13 11:03 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
I've had several students who teach full-time. One of them, a young woman very new to the area wanted to set up shop after finishing her 1st degree. So she decided to do direct mail in her town to get started. It was very successful. She got as many as 10 new students for every mailing did, which were a minimum of 1,500 pieces. She developed a mailing list from a school fund-raising group who let her advertise in their annual directory to students. She did that for the first 4 years.

I don't know if that will work in every region, but it might be worth a try if nothing else is working.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2163713 - 10/08/13 11:05 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: The Monkeys]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA

The local newspaper is dead because the income came from advertising, and that advertising market shifted away from papers, leaving them unable to break even.

I'm curious, how did you find your piano teacher? Maybe that will suggest something. (I've found every teacher through word-of-mouth, asking people in the local music scene for names.)

#2163727 - 10/09/13 12:16 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Rebecca Piano Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hey all, thanks for all your suggestions. Morodiene, I want to thank you in particular for your response, it was very insightful and yes, I will get onto pictures (I have taken a few shots with my camera, just need to play around with Photoshop and upload them). Rob I live in Sydney and I have listed myself on music teachers online I've got too many competitors, so I'm thinking of paying the $120 to get more hits - good to know that it worked for you though. Gumtree worked for me (Gumtree is like America's Craigslist) I listed myself on Gumtree about a fortnight ago and two days later, I got a new student.

Nyke, I have tried to make a bit of an internet presence so I have listed myself on gumtree, todo kids, music teachers online, Google+ and Hot Frog. I also have a Facebook, my own website which contains a blog and I have updated my linkedin profile. Outside of the internet, I have distributed flyers and left them in the letterboxes to local areas. This weekend I intend to put up posters around shop fronts and community noticeboards, and leave business cards in local businesses.

My piano teacher and my singing teacher are also assisting me, giving me referrals but the problem is, the studio that I have set up is not local to where they are.

TimR you make a good point - my first piano teacher my mum knew via word of mouth, second was found in the classified ads section in a parenting magazine, third was through the internet, fourth was through the classified ad section in the local paper and same goes for my singing teachers - word of mouth, internet and internet. Mind you, the older I got, the more I 'shopped around' I tried different teachers, signed up for 6 weeks of lessons, had long phone interviews, asked around (being in a music school where the community is rather small, people do know each other).
http://www.pianolessonswithrebecca.com/

#2163741 - 10/09/13 01:26 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: TimR]

Well, we started with a group lessons at our community center, when the group lesson finished, we followed the teacher's suggestion.

That's why I suggested group lessons for young beginner, that way you have access to a large number of students and most importantly, their parents, that would be looking for a private teacher.

And teachers actually can make more with group lessons by the way.

#2163744 - 10/09/13 01:38 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: Rebecca Piano
Hi all,

I just opened the doors to my own studio, I used to work elsewhere as a sub-contractor at a different studio.

I'd love to hear what has worked for you/what hasn't worked for you in terms of advertising for your piano studio.

Words of mouth is THE BEST and THE MOST EFFECTIVE advertisement piano teachers can have.

The next one would be physical advertisement such as local newspapers/school newsletters/TV channels/Radio stations.

Local teachers association, music clubs are also very useful.

Don't forget free concerts at local venues and retirement communities.

Internet works, too, provided you have a well-designed webpage, and plenty of content to keep people coming back, instead of making your webpage a digital business card.

#2163818 - 10/09/13 07:33 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: The Monkeys]
Morodiene Offline

I'm trying this but with holidays coming up it will have to wait until after Dec. The problem is there are tons of community centers that offer group piano and they charge $40 for 8 hour-long classes! That's $40 TOTAL. The ads all specify that students are to bring their own keyboard. mad

The only thing I can hope for is that people realize you get what you pay for.

#2163857 - 10/09/13 09:59 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Morodiene]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

I'm trying this but with holidays coming up it will have to wait until after Dec. The problem is there are tons of community centers that offer group piano and they charge $40 for 8 hour-long classes! That's $40 TOTAL. The ads all specify that students are to bring their own keyboard. mad

The only thing I can hope for is that people realize you get what you pay for.

Exactly. Never try to compete for the lowest community center price because it's one thing none of us will win.

#2163970 - 10/09/13 02:49 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]

We paid $360 for a 28 week group lesson session, each session was 1 hour. Worked out to be $12 per hour and the group had 6 students, the revenue of the group lesson was $75/hour.

And everyone paid the $360 upfront, no cancellation, no rescheduling, no refund of any sort.

The centre provided 6 Yamaha P155, and teacher used an Yamaha upright.

The first 30 minutes the kids were learning note names, hand positions, simple rhythms etc and a simple song, the next 30 minutes students played and teacher spent a few minutes with each individual. Everyone copied the better students, everyone wanted to play better, the peer pressure worked in the right direction.

It worked out perfect for us, and I thought it was a great start for a 5/6 or even a 7/8 year old.

My son was very reluctant when we switched to private lessons, because he missed his friends so much.

#2164020 - 10/09/13 04:59 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Monkeys:
I am interest to know after 28 weeks, that is about 7 months of group piano lesson as you describe, what is the out come? What can the students play? What kind of materials the teacher had cover in 28 lessons of group piano? Do you mind share which book the teacher is using?

Thanks!!

#2164056 - 10/09/13 06:23 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]

I have to dig up the book later tonight.

I need to make a correction, $360 for 28 sessions is what the centre offers now. I checked my record, back then, our program was $195 for 16 sessions from Jan to the end of May.

Followed by 5 private lessons with the same teacher, he was able to read and play the Happy Birthday on his own (which now I know is no longer legal). He had turned 8 at that time. His next book was Alfred 1B when we switched to a private teacher.

Check below, see how popular the program is.

After the group lessons, the next step is private or semi private (2 students) for a year, then private only.

#2164223 - 10/10/13 01:09 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]

EZpiano, it was the Piano Adventures Primer Level lesson book, in 16 lessons, they worked toward the end of the book, and we completed the book with the follow up private lessons.

The class for younger kids used a different book I think.

For the 5/6 year old classes, parents participation was required, for the 7/8 year old class, parents were not allowed.

#2164232 - 10/10/13 01:26 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you Monkeys for sharing. How many students usually in the group?
This is very interesting!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
10/30/14 11:06 AM
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
10/30/14 10:46 AM
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
10/30/14 10:03 AM
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
10/30/14 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
10/30/14 09:13 AM
Who's Online
133 registered (ajames, 36251, 0987654321, 41 invisible), 1583 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329550 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission