Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2164234 - 10/10/13 01:36 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Nevermind, I think it is 6 students in a group?
If this group lesson is a good advertising to get into private piano studies, may I ask how do you find out this group lesson then??
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2164271 - 10/10/13 02:50 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
6 Students per class.
It is very popular, the center offers 24 such classes per week, all full.

It is great for uncommitted families to try out.

#2164328 - 10/10/13 08:33 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I was planning on doing a piano group in January similar to this, except it would be an 8-week class for $99. We can provide 3 digitals and one keyboard if necessary (they can rotate to feel the different instruments) and we have the acoustic grand. I have another acoustic upright but we would need to keep that in the other room for regular lessons.

So I could have up to 5 students in a class, and if I could fill it I'd be making just about my hourly rate. I have books for piano camp that I could use, but I'll probably just put together my own program of activities and pieces to play.

The tough thing is to get the word out about it!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2164362 - 10/10/13 10:23 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: The Monkeys]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: The Monkeys

My son was very reluctant when we switched to private lessons, because he missed his friends so much.

Maybe that relates to the thread about "former students."

His friends and the group activity were an external factor that held his interest in the early stages.

We'd like internal rewards to be sufficient, but the number who drop out suggest that is not always the case.

#2182635 - 11/15/13 03:52 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Rebecca Piano Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I thought I'd give an update to how I am doing right now, share what worked for me and what didn't work for me.

I started off with one student. That student recently quit piano to do violin and I referred him to one of my violin teacher colleagues in the area. Right now I have eight students.

Here are some of the things I have done in terms of advertising:

- Printed out 200 flyers and distributed them to local areas (no response from this method)

- Posted and continually updated an advertisement on Gumtree (basically Australia's version of Craig's list) - I have 3 students who I have found on Gumtree

- Posted an ad on a few music teacher database websites (teach me music & music teachers online) - I have one student who came to me from seeing this listing

- Created a Google business page which makes me a bit more google-able, a student's parent found me by typing up their suburb + piano teacher

- Have a web presence - a website and blog and a facebook page

- The other students are referrals that I've known from other people - word of mouth

- I've also placed an online yellow pages listing as well as an online white pages listing. I am listed on quite a large number of business listings online (hotfrog, todo kids, google+, truelocal, activekids, domore kids)

Thanks for contributing, I really do appreciate the responses that I've had from people on this forum!
http://www.pianolessonswithrebecca.com/

#2182681 - 11/15/13 07:50 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I'll give an update too:

-I had one response from craigslist for a voice class I wanted to teach. The class ended up not happening because I didn't have enough students to make it go. I have her name for when I will try teaching the next class.

-I have gotten 2 new students from my Google adwords. I've had a lot of traffic to my website (you can use Google Analytics which is free to see who goes to your website, where they are from, what pages they went to, how they got to your site, etc.). One student has signed up already, the other I will be meeting with her next week, but chances are she will sign up for lessons - I got a good feeling from her over the phone.

-I listed my school on several teacher referrals sites, nothing from any of them.

-Also listed on yellow pages (which I pay for in addition to being in the phone book). So far no clicks to my website from this, so I think I will be discontinuing our yellow book advertising

- Listed on any number of other free sites such as Angie's list, nothing from these

-Sent out flyers with my pool guy's statements. He will often do that with other small business owners. Nothing immediate from that, but perhaps down the road.

So really, so far it seems that the Google adwords have paid off with the first student I got from it. Still hoping to get more, but definitely worth the investment to have that and our website up and running!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2182880 - 11/15/13 02:50 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Pianobud Offline

Schools and churches are excellent locations to find piano students. Approach the ones in your area, there might be a piano available on which you can give a demonstration and perform some music. When you meet potential students in person it's much easier to make them enthusiastic. Then word of mouth will do the rest. Good luck!

Edited by Ken Knapp (11/15/13 06:46 PM)
Edit Reason: move the link to sig line per rules

#2182928 - 11/15/13 04:28 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
sonataplayer Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Try posting your profile on LessonRating.com. It costs $50 per year. For me, the first year yielded nothing but a few really flaky people who either didn't even show up for the first lesson or only lasted for a few weeks, but the second year yielded four absolutely great students! The $50 posting fee has been more than worth it for the second year.

Be sure to fill in your profile completely and include a good photo of yourself

#2182939 - 11/15/13 04:41 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
sonataplayer Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Sorry...I just realized that you are in Australia, and LessonRating.com is a directory for U.S. piano teachers only. Perhaps there is something similar in Australia, though.

#2247505 - 03/16/14 02:25 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like to contribute a little information in this thread. I sat down and did a little bit of math and this is what I found out:

Among 100% of my student population....

34% came from Craigslist post (free)
24% came from social media (free)
22% came from a teacher at school that teach music (free too, but I am thinking to get a gift card for her?)
9% came from a school magazine ad (expensive ad)
7% came from google search to my website (free)
4% came from direct mail (expensive too but not as expensive as school magazine ad)

Piano teachers!! If all of us share this kind of information, then we can figure out what is the best method of advertising.

----------
Add on:
I am sorry I should have include the word of mouth too:
About 35% of my students were result of word of mouth under the category of "Craigslist" and "Music Teacher at School".

Edited by ezpiano.org (03/16/14 02:37 PM)

#2247941 - 03/17/14 02:44 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: ezpiano.org]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org

34% came from Craigslist post (free)

34% from Craigslist for a down-to-business MTAC/CM teacher like you?! I'd really like to see what kind of add you used smile

#2247955 - 03/17/14 03:26 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Opus:
Creative writing is the secret.

#2248082 - 03/17/14 08:17 PM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I suppose. But my experience is that anybody willing to pay over $25 per hour for lessons would not be looking on Craigslists in the first place.

#2248269 - 03/18/14 09:16 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
Rebecca Piano Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hey just logged in after a long time from not going on the site. Here is another update:

I currently have 11 students

10/11 found me by entering 'piano teacher (area that I teach in)' into Google.

1/11 found me through Gumtree (Australia's Craigslist)

I have had 8 students come and go - they are the kind who will take one (or a few) lesson(s) with me and never come back - most of these students found me through Gumtree.
http://www.pianolessonswithrebecca.com/

#2248297 - 03/18/14 10:30 AM Re: Best Methods of Advertising [Re: Rebecca Piano]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Opus: You are right about the attitude of customers I got from CL. These customers were my first batch of customers when I opened my studio many many many years ago. At that time my fee is lower and they stayed for these many years even I raise my fee every year. At this point of my career, I get lesser inquiries on CL even I post it regularly because my fee is too high compare to the rest of the posters on CL. However, I still got one student about 2 months ago thru CL, that was my most recent. You never know!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos
by WaterDweller
Today at 07:10 AM
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
Today at 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Who's Online
95 registered (Allard, barbaram, bennevis, A Guy, Al LaPorte, 31 invisible), 1191 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157944 Topics
2319527 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission