Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
129 registered (AnimistFvR, accordeur, Anita Potter, ando, anamnesis, ankesh, 35 invisible), 1618 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2163321 - 10/08/13 08:13 AM Play It Again by Alan Rusbridger
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
This book just became available in the US, although it's been out in the UK for quite a while, and I thought I would share my thoughts on it.

I didn't think I would like it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was yet another account of an amateur pianist tackling a piece beyond their abilities, and we see plenty of that at Piano World, and, with the rare exception, it ends badly. Rusbridger takes on the Chopin 1st Ballade in g minor opus 23, a difficult piece to be sure. There is one forum member that I know of who has successfully played the ballade and did a very good job of it - Sam Rose.

Rusbridger is definitely not a beginner though, but a re-starter, like so many here (myself included). And he seems to have a high level of skill at sight reading, since he regularly takes part in 4 and 8 hand playing sessions of transcriptions of orchestral works. He also does accompanying, and attends a summer music camp in France.

Working against him is his demanding work schedule. He tries to practice 20 minutes a day, but rarely is able to string more than a few days in a row together.

He does achieve his goal of playing the ballade for a group of friends, but it takes him eighteen months.

The value of the book, and what made it interesting for me, are the interviews and lessons he has with famous pianists. Rusbridger is what we call in the States, "a powerful and influential member of the media". He is able to talk to, and ask questions of, people like Emanuel Ax, Murray Perahia, Stephen Hough, Daniel Barenboim and others. I might even be able to play the ballade if I had that kind of encouragement! He also has lessons from multiple teachers. By the end of the book he has two grand pianos, a Fazioli and a Steinway!

But, as my mother always told me, "don't envy the rich" - he also has a demanding job with lots of pressure.

So the book is inspiring and a good read. The comments and insights by the professionals are the best part.

An annotated score of the ballade, including many of the professional comments, is available at Rusbridgers web site. Very interesting reading.

So am I now going to tackle the g minor ballade? Probably not anytime soon. I prefer to work on pieces within my ability or slightly above my level - there is plenty of challenge there and some beautiful music.

Sam

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2163475 - 10/08/13 01:40 PM Re: Play It Again by Alan Rusbridger [Re: Sam S]
neuralfirings Offline

+1 I read about his project before the book was available in the US and that partially inspired me to work on the Ballade. It's definitely an interesting read, though I actually find his posts on his job more interesting than his writings about the piano. It's a sneak peak behind the scenes at WikiLeaks and Arab Spring!

#2163481 - 10/08/13 02:00 PM Re: Play It Again by Alan Rusbridger [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
SamS
I have the book too. I think you have enough skill set to try it with the right guidance. It seems to take a long time and perseverance. In my teacher's studio currently two people are working on the Ballade. I hear them every week in our studio. It seems to take 1 year and half or two years to get it sound beautiful. One of them is a very musical 19 years old student with only a few years in piano. The other is a lady who just retired and therefore have long hours to practice. She is a mortal like me but has 10 years over me in piano. I don't have that type of talent, persistence nor time at this point of life. 20 min won't get me learn the piece. The lady I call P here is getting better and better on her Ballade. Not like Alan, she says she wouldn't have thought about trying it when she was working. I will pick it up when I retire.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 07:55 PM
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Kawai K500 or Seiler ED126
by Mizar
11/28/14 07:03 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 06:58 PM
Forum Stats
77081 Members
42 Forums
159431 Topics
2341967 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission