2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I just bought my first digital piano and it does almost everything I could ever ask for. However, I see sooo many threads regarding some great piano software to the point where Im now very interested but mostly confused. Please forgive my musical technological ignorance, but can someone easily and simply explain how to hook up a computer to my digital piano? Exactly what does the software do and which should should I buy? How do I hook it up? What cables do I need? Mixers? etc. etc.

I believe I got a good starting point to make this happen, just don't know how.
I have: Kawai ES7(love!)and Sony Vaio laptop 8GB RAM, 750GB w/ Intel i7 processor.

Your thoughts and guidance would be much appreciated.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You'll need:
- PC or Mac. I use a PC laptop. It's old and relatively slow, but still works quite well. Any newer unit will serve even better, so no worries there.
- Sound system. You could plug headphones into the PC, or you can feed the PC sound to an amp and speakers.
- Piano library software for the PC.
- Upgrade sound card for the PC (maybe).

The basic setup looks like this: Piano Wiring 1 This uses a USB connection between the piano and the PC. This is possible for newer pianos that have a USB connection.

This diagram shows additional ways to hook things up: Piano Wiring 2 This shows three possible ways to connect the piano to a PC: USB, MIDI-to-USB, and MIDI. (The latter requires a PC sound card with a MIDI interface.)

This diagram adds a mixer to allow you to listen to either the PC piano sounds or the piano's native sounds, or both: Piano Wiring 3

And this one adds equalizers to tweak the sound, and a DVD player to allow play-along with an audio CD: Piano Wiring 4 This is what I use. I already had the piano, PC laptop, and headphones. I bought the rest of the equipment used on Ebay and Craig's List for around $375.

For piano software, there are many choices. Do an online search for "piano libraries" or "VST pianos" or something similar and you'll find many possibilities.

Also use this forum's search box to find threads in which this topic is discussed.

P
P
The easiest: The ES7 has a USB to host, and you need a simple USB cable (like this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...301&p_id=8616&seq=1&format=2)
This is a typical printer cable, which you probably already have.

Then download this app - http://www.synthesiagame.com, and configure the ES7 as Midi and Midi out, and try it out

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Do you also want to utilize the audio input of the ES7 so you will be able to hear the software synths sound through the ES7 audio system ? If so , then there are a few rules to follow. If not than a simple USB to host connection (for MIDI control) will do.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pschmatz
The easiest: The ES7 has a USB to host, and you need a simple USB cable (like this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...301&p_id=8616&seq=1&format=2)
This is a typical printer cable, which you probably already have.

Then download this app - http://www.synthesiagame.com, and configure the ES7 as Midi and Midi out, and try it out

Wow! They must be really special people.

Look what they say about their forums..

"If you have any questions or comments about Synthesia, hop over to the forums and make a post. Everyone is very friendly there and we'll definitely be able to help."

Can you believe it,? "Everyone is very friendly..." that's what it says.

Amazing....never known a forum like that.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Can you believe it,? "Everyone is very friendly..." that's what it says.

Amazing....never known a forum like that.

Nice ladies' needlework forums.

Every once in a while someone will get hormonal and flounce, but mostly they're sugar-sweet. If anyone speaks an unkind word, you can hear the whole forum gasp and glue themselves to the screen to follow the drama.

Granted, generally such forums do have a vigilant list-mom moderating. But it's a very different (and relatively long-standing) internet culture and lineage, going back to usenet's rec.crafts.textiles.yarn and rec.crafts.textiles.needlework.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Oops, sorry, zombie thread. SIck at home and a little punchy here.

Carry on.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Last edited by doremi; 02/19/14 01:56 AM.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission