2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 407 of 425 1 2 405 406 407 408 409 424 425
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Dr. Kallberg: I am interested in knowing if you've ever heard any of Vladimir de Pachmann's recordings. And if so, what did you think of his playing? I just finished reading several pages of a new book about him called Chopin's Prophet by Edward Blickstein and Gregor Benko. (I download a sample of it on my Kindle Fire). From just what I read, it appears he was a master at playing Chopin's music and vastly underrated because of his personality and lifestyle. How I would love to download the whole book, but at over $60.00, it's just a little too pricey for me at this time.

Thank you,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've tried to listen to some of Vladimir de Pachmann's recordings but found the few I have so unrestored and deteriorated as to be unlistenable and was so distracted by the "static" that I couldn't tell much about the music itself. I also would like to here what Dr Jeff has to say of his playing.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The video below is a YouTube collection of 30 of his recordings (including Chopin of course).

The quality of the recordings is indeed awful, as Frycek pointed out, although it is understandable.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

J
J
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
Dr. Kallberg: I am interested in knowing if you've ever heard any of Vladimir de Pachmann's recordings. And if so, what did you think of his playing? I just finished reading several pages of a new book about him called Chopin's Prophet by Edward Blickstein and Gregor Benko. (I download a sample of it on my Kindle Fire). From just what I read, it appears he was a master at playing Chopin's music and vastly underrated because of his personality and lifestyle. How I would love to download the whole book, but at over $60.00, it's just a little too pricey for me at this time.

Thank you,
Kathleen

Dear Kathleen,

Just a brief reply for now: I find much of de Pachmann's playing to be really interesting, especially from the standpoints of rubato and "improvised" ornamentation. This serves him especially well in the nocturnes and mazurkas.

I picked up an excellent CD compilation of his a few years back - when I'm home I'll check on the details. As with all early recordings, though, you simply have to "listen through" the surface noise. Strangely, perhaps, I've come to enjoy the crackle, and don't much like those remastered recordings that remove the noise.

Jeff Kallberg

J
J
Home finally: what I was recalling is a 2-cd set of de Pachmann on the Arbiter label - mostly Chopin recordings, and with lots of material not easily available elsewhere. Well worth a listen.

Jeff Kallberg

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, Kathleen and all!

I'll look forward to checking out the videos of de Pachmann. I guess I believed the sources that referred to him as kind of a loon, and looked no further.

I don't really understand why there's a question about m. 91 of 17/4. You just roll the chord. No big deal. Might take some practice but there are no problematic technical issues with it.

For 63/3, the performance commentary to the National Edition has a reworked version of the sticky section in mm. 65-71 that is extremely helpful. The notes are divided between the hands a little differently, in such a way that the voice leading is preserved but playing it becomes far more reasonable. I wish they had written that above the other notes in the piece in the main book instead of in teensy notes in the commentary. If I had scanning capability right now I'd show it to you, but sadly, I don't. Anyway, there is no problem whatsoever with redistributing notes between the hands (despite what some say around here) to make a passage playable, assuming that you still are playing the notes, rhythms, and phrases the composer wrote.

Elene

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Elene
Hi, Kathleen and all!

I'll look forward to checking out the videos of de Pachmann. I guess I believed the sources that referred to him as kind of a loon, and looked no further.

I don't really understand why there's a question about m. 91 of 17/4. You just roll the chord. No big deal. Might take some practice but there are no problematic technical issues with it.

For 63/3, the performance commentary to the National Edition has a reworked version of the sticky section in mm. 65-71 that is extremely helpful. The notes are divided between the hands a little differently, in such a way that the voice leading is preserved but playing it becomes far more reasonable. I wish they had written that above the other notes in the piece in the main book instead of in teensy notes in the commentary. If I had scanning capability right now I'd show it to you, but sadly, I don't. Anyway, there is no problem whatsoever with redistributing notes between the hands (despite what some say around here) to make a passage playable, assuming that you still are playing the notes, rhythms, and phrases the composer wrote.

Elene

Elene, performance note, that's cool. It would be interesting to compare my fingering with it. What do you mean by national edition? Is it the same as Instytute Fryderyka Chopina Pilskie Wydawnictwo? I have those editions for nocturne and étude. Earlier in my piano study I bought cheaper ones - so my prelude mazurka and waltz books are all shirmers

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg
....I find much of de Pachmann's playing to be really interesting, especially from the standpoints of rubato and "improvised" ornamentation. This serves him especially well in the nocturnes and mazurkas.

+++!!! smile

By the way, I imagine the reason you said "much of" isn't so much because some of the pieces aren't that great but more because some aspects of his playing of anything are a bit much. ha
Or actually, I should say, both 'a bit much' and 'not enough.' smile
Some of his things are just too eccentric or ridiculous, and some of what he does is lacking in pianism (at least in his recordings, which admittedly all come from his later years).

But despite all that, I've had the impression that from any recordings that exist by anybody, his playing is the closest to how Chopin himself played. Yes, probably a caricatured version and not nearly as skillful -- kind of like, I dunno, like an Eddie Murphy impression of Stevie Wonder grin ....but still the closest thing we have.

....As with all early recordings, though, you simply have to "listen through" the surface noise. Strangely, perhaps, I've come to enjoy the crackle, and don't much like those remastered recordings that remove the noise.

Me2, absolutely!

People often/usually/almost always complain about it. To me, it's special, which I'm sure is because I've come to associate it with great long-ago ways of playing that we can only dream of having experienced.

I'm not sure I'm remembering this right, but....I think one time on Saturday Night Live, Stevie Wonder was the musical guest and they did this thing of Eddie Murphy auditioning people trying to do Stevie Wonder impressions. Stevie Wonder was one of the auditionees, and Murphy starts telling him how he wasn't doing a very good job -- "When you do Stevie Wonder, you have to go 'like this,' and 'like this'...." grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Where to buy the National Edition books in America (yes, that's the edition done by Ekier and PWM):
http://www.presser.com/marketing/keyboard/chopin/ekier.htm

I had a lot of trouble with the Presser website; probably better to call them. Expensive books but the last word in accuracy and scholarship.

(As with the Stevie Wonder story, I heard an anecdote that was supposed to be true about some famous person entering a lookalike contest that was about him, and losing.)

Elene

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
To introduce a new topic, has anyone ever noticed how many instances there are of marked similarities between the music of Chopin and that of Bach, Beethoven, or Mozart? The theme of Chopin's Opus 28/24 and Beethoven's Opus 57, to name just one.

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hadn't noticed that specifically, but it certainly makes sense that he'd be heavily influenced by their works and some similarities would show up.

Just stopping in to acknowledge the 164th anniversary of his death-day.

Elene

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Elene
Hadn't noticed that specifically, but it certainly makes sense that he'd be heavily influenced by their works and some similarities would show up.

Just stopping in to acknowledge the 164th anniversary of his death-day.

Elene

One of the most tragic early deaths in the history of music. frown

We love you, Chopin.

Regards,

Polyphonist
W
W
Hello all! Sorry I seemed to have run away. If I could be honest, I get a little nervous when I post stuff on the internet, it's kind of my first time doing this kind of thing. II'm a little shy so you don't know how many times I've gone over my post to make sure their perfect...me and my paranoid self...

Elene: "And please, I beg you-- don't write a story about Chopin's life till you really feel you understand something about him. So much crap has been written about him already, and he doesn't deserve that."

I agree, I hope if I ever did I'd want do him justice. But I'm still in very young and I have a lot to learn about writing in general. And in regard to the researching (the most important aspect of writing) I'd say I have barely scratched the surface. The story I did for senior project didn't turn out so well. I'm notorious for not finishing stories, my biggest enemy. It was a real struggle to finish. I can't say I'm glad at the finished product, I had to cut it short for time, there was so many things I wanted to add to it, but it probably would have been unnecessary, too complicated. For the time being I plan to keep it in a cabinet somewhere and pull it out later when I'm a more experienced writer and have more research under my belt. Well...there I go rambling again.*rolls eyes*

I've been skimming this thread and came across some discussion of Sand but have not yet found yours I'll go back and find it.
I can't wait until the index is up and running, though I done with the story, its just fun reading about this interesting person whose music I've grown to love.

Thanks for your reply!

W
W
Thank you for taking the time to respond, like I've said before I'm a little nervous posting things on the internet, which I guess is the major reason why I seemed to run off. I remember reading somewhere that Chopin didn't teach beginners, I can only imagine why, being a beginner myself...
The reason why I asked about his love of children though is I've dreamed up his personified works running around his house doing God knows what, I'm such a terrible person for putting him through all that chaos!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by WesCraven
...you don't know how many times I've gone over my post to make sure their perfect...

Oh, the irony. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
W
W
I was surfing the net the other day and came across and instance where Chopin was being a little funny! I can't find the article in a series of Chopin episodes I've read through (http://www.radiochopin.org/welcome), but the story goes that he fished a wedding ring out of powder as a game, anyone else heard this strange tale before

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by WesCraven
I remember reading somewhere that Chopin didn't teach beginners, I can only imagine why, being a beginner myself...
He certainly did. Started them on the B scale.

Laissez tomber les mains
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chopin stated that he didn't teach children or beginners (I don't remember where, would have to find that)-- but he did teach Solange Sand when she was young. He mainly taught quite advanced students. Some were teens, but not really children. The fact that he advocated starting on a scale with black keys in the middle, as I think he wrote about in his sketch for a method book, does not mean that he was working students who had no playing experience whatsoever. Often one has to do quite a lot of rehabilitation with advanced students. Many of us here have probably been through that either as students or as teachers, or perhaps both.

I've heard the ring story. It's hard to imagine someone managing it, even with a nose like Chopin's! Chopin was known as a wit, though, and for him to be funny was not at all unusual. WesCraven, you may know about his Victor Borge-like comedy act at the piano.

It's worth it to keep trying to write even if one is not necessarily satisfied with the finished product. After all, many if not most artists are dissatisfied with their work on a regular basis. Certainly Chopin often had trouble feeling positive about his works– which he did occasionally speak of as his children. One has to keep at it anyway in order to have any hope of improvement.

Elene

I play a half-dozen of Chopin's simpler pieces/etudes/preludes...

He's a sadist.

Every piece looks so simple on the eyes. I look at his simple and intermediate stuff with delight. I hear it and it is incredibly expressive and beautiful. Then I put my hands down and play them.

Usually the first so-many bars lure you in with seductive simplicity. Then he throws in a few zingers--bars which are beasts to play--and you wonder what that cock was doing that for! Next, I realize that no matter how many times I play, those difficult bars aren't going much easier. After playing the pieces a few hundred times, I've tackled the difficult bars... only to find that I can't get my mind around memorizing his stuff!

He created piano to torture others. I've never seen another composer like him in that regard.

Currently working on/memorizing...
"It's You" from Robotech
"He's A Pirate"
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"What The World Needs Now"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL Rusty! Have you tried Beehoven's Hammerklavier sonata? I've read that is one of the, if not the most challenging compositions for piano.

Page 407 of 425 1 2 405 406 407 408 409 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission