2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Carlos,

I think the tv crew is interested in you which is amazing btw. Don't know why they should be interested in the EPP too. I think members of this forum might want to see it, but beyond that I doubt it. But maybe I'm wrong.

If there is an option at the EPP to request not to record on video when performing, then I would not mind the TV crew. Sometimes recording gives extra pressure and it's quite hard to perform well playing in front of people.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I did it! I bought my plane tickets today!
I'm flying with Lufthansa. The times are Lisbon time.

Arrival in Lisbon: Friday, 4.7.2014, 15:20, LH1168
Departure from Lisbon: Sunday, 6.7.2014, 12:15, LH1167

I have not asked my company for holidays yet; but in the more than 13 years I've worked for them, all my holidays demands were met. So I guess it's just a formality.
@CarlosCC: You can move me from the "maybe" to the "confirmed" list.

Now all I have to do is practice a little more piano... whistle

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
I have been on TV before although I can say for certain that I would NOT like to be playing in front of a camera crew xD

Let us know how things go.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
patH is now in the "confirmed" list!
Welcome!!!

[Linked Image]

Dont' forget: What do you think about having a TV crew with us in our EPP?
To be clear, it's NOT a full coverage of the event. The idea is to "open the door" for only 10/15 minutes.
Check my previous post (#2184019) and tell me what do you think about it.

Bye, CarlosCC

NOTICE:
Put this thread in your "Watched topics" list. Don't miss any update of our EPP2014.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Dont' forget: What do you think about having a TV crew with us in our EPP?
To be clear, it's NOT a full coverage of the event. The idea is to "open the door" for only 10/15 minutes.
Check my previous post (#2184019) and tell me what do you think about it.

On the one hand, if hiring a location is expensive, then it might become interesting to have it sponsored. And it's advertising for piano music.
On the other hand, I usually look stupid in front of a camera. wink

So, I'll abstain from voting on that issue. If the majority is ok with a TV crew, I'm fine with it. If not, I'm fine with it as well.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
PatH - yippee! Glad to see you are on the confirmed list!

Carlos, as for the TV cameras...I'd prefer to not be filmed playing - having a live audience is enough stress for me - but if others don't mind being filmed I don't have objection to being filmed while being an appreciative member of the audience smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Guys?

I'd love to come, but can't confirm until LATE (something like May, or even June)... Do you take late comers like that?

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sure Nikolas! I'll put you in the "maybe" list.

You can confirm when you want, the deadline is some days before the event. But, to get best prices in hotels and airplane tickets you should decide as soon as possible.

May I ask you: i) where are you from?, and ii) are you planning to come alone?

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
i) I'm from Greece.
ii) Planning on coming alone, or with the wife (probably alone though)...

I should know in 2014 at some point, in which case I'll definitely let you know personally, or Casinitaly, or someone else I know is coming... smile

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
Ok, Nikolas, you are in the "maybe" list!!

[Linked Image]

NOTICE:
Put this thread in your "Watched topics" list. Don't miss any update of our EPP2014.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Some thoughts about the TV crew in our EPP2014.

Many of us do not feel comfortable being filmed or interviewed for a TV channel. I don't know if the TV producer wants to do a short report of our EPP. I don't know if the hotel agrees with the proposal... OK, lots of undefined things.

So, I was thinking in a new plan (with the help of my wife, of course...):
The episode (with me) is to be filmed in several places in Lisbon, so my plan is to ask the TV producer if we can do one scene in the hotel - here, I can explain what is PW, talk about our party, or play the red piano, or something else... -.

This plan has some advantages:
- No need to have a TV crew in our EPP...
- The hotel will have (for sure!) the same free publicity on TV;
- I can try to change that free publicity with a free space for us.

Makes sense?

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Carlos, that sounds like a good idea - and very creative thinking to try to get us a good rate! Why not give it a try? smile

Nikolas - I'm glad you're thinking of joining us!

As for "deadlines" I think that there really isn't any deadline except with regards to getting in on a deal with a hotel discount. Ideally we're going to try to stay at the same hotel, and the earlier we know how many folks are going to stay, the easier /better it will be for negotiating a discount.

I've started looking at air fares -but still have to pin down how many days we are planning to stay altogether.

I'm already thinking about which pieces I'd like to play.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The 1st stage of my plan is complete, with success: I had a long conversation with the producer of the TV program and he agrees to do part of the episode in the hotel where I want to do our EPP. smile

Now I can try to negotiate with the hotel manager to rent our space for FREE!
Did I told you that he wants €1000 for a rental of 5 hours?!?!?!? That's out of any possible agreement. OK, OK, they offer the catering for 50 guests, and a special room rate for you, but that's too much €€€€. So cross your fingers, please.

To give you an idea, here is the hotel: http://myriad.pt/en/
And some pictures: Myriad Lisbon pictures
Beautiful, isn't it?
This is my first choice... of course there are other possibilities, but... can I dream?

EDIT: Watch the video and look the red piano I was playing! (at 01m:00s)

Last edited by CarlosCC; 11/22/13 07:00 PM.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Carlos, it sounds like you may have a solution in the works.

I think the hotel is indeed lovely - gorgeous! - and I can see that it is obviously on the expensive side smile The rental time for the piano might be ok if it were an event people paid to participate in -like a concert or something, but for us, it is a bit over the top! I agree with you!

What kind of discount do you think they'd be offering for the rooms?
I am pretty sure we have people arriving and departing on different days, so staying for 2 or 3 or 4 nights....

It is certainly lovely to dream, but I wonder if they will
a) be interested in giving discounts for different lengths of stay
b) how much the discount might be.

Do you have any sense of that yet? I am concerned that this may be more that we're comfortable spending. I know it may be too early to have a clear idea on this, but it is an important factor (I know you know that smile )

Thank you again for all the time and effort you are putting into making this event a wonderful success!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
A few clarifications about the location of our EPP2014:

- My first concern is money.

- My strategy is to look for a location, for free.

- Then if it is an hotel, I will try to negotiate some discounts for EPP members. But the choice is always yours.

- Anyway, if it isn't an hotel, then each of you have to find an hotel in Lisbon.

That's the plan. That's why I'm working in advance to give chances to everybody in think about what is more suitable for each budget, and to decide.

Concerning with the piano - yes, we'll play for each other! -: Again, and if necessary, I'll try to rent a piano for free, too smile
How? Remember when Yamaha Iberia talked to me asking about our EPP? OK, it's time to call back...

_
NOTICE:
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Carlos,

The Myriad is a beautiful hotel. If I'm correct, I think the price is so high, because they offer a room with catering for 50 people. If we were with 50 persons, that's 20 euro p.p. That's a good price actually for a room big enough for 50.

But I don't think we'll be with 50 persons. Let's say the group will be 20 persons. Then we need a smaller room (read: cheaper) in a 3, 4 or 5 star hotel, that could provide this to us.

Not every hotel has the right size of an event room for 20 persons and a piano. If it's bigger, we'll pay to much. I think there will be one or two hotels in Lisbon with exactly the rooms we need.

Chris

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Yes PaperClip, you're right.

This is the first time I'm organizing such event. One month ago I didn't have a clue about prices, conditions, locations, and so on. So, I'd to start searching. And, why not try Myriad? Now, I have a price to compare with other alternatives (less expensive, I hope).

So, and because we have plenty of time, I'm starting with Myriad just because I think it is a good place. If we can't afford it, then, and as you say, there are other places in Lisbon to do our EPP. (Btw, there are NOT so many hotels in Lisbon with a piano AND a space for us. I would guess it's 30/70. The best hotels has space AND a piano, but they are more expensive. Others don't have a piano OR they don't do EPPs...)

Anyway, my goal is to define the location till the end of the year.
As you know, I'm working to have the space for free. That would be wonderful, but I can't promise that.

Thanks for your post.
EPP members's opinions are very important to me thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Carlos,

You are right to start at the Myriad. It's a beautiful place. The best hotels always have piano's. smile Once I helped to bring a maserati cabrio into an event room in a 5 star hotel for a fashion show. So I know there's a lot possible.

If you want the right size for the event room, I would look for historic buildings with a luxury hotel inside. The chance of finding a small event room in an old and small building is much bigger than to find one in a big and modern hotel. Especially if the modern hotel has more than 400 rooms.

On the internet I found the Heritage Lisbon Hotels. I quote the website: 'Collection of small boutique hotels in the historic center of Lisbon. Property and management of Portuguese families, the Heritage Lisbon Hotels are installed in old houses and small historic buildings in the historic center.'

Sounds ok.

Hmm.... Ok. Now I check the tripadvisor. The Brittania of the Heritage hotels is rated no 1 of 219 hotels in Lisbon. A very nice hotel in art deco style in the old city centre. Sounds good too.

Now I check for a small event room.

Herculano 1 room: Sq. M 55, Length 7,5 Width 7,2, Height 2,52, Theatre 30, School 18, U 16, Cabaret 21, Banquet -, Buffet -, Cocktail 30.

Garret room: Sq. M 60, Length 9, Width 6,5, Height 2,75, Theatre 50, School 30, U 22, Cabaret 28, Banquet 40, Buffet 32, Cocktail 60.

Pessoa room: Sq. M 50, Length 6, Width 5,5, Height 2,40, Theatre -, School -, U -, Cabaret -, Banquet -, Buffet -, Cocktail 50.

Three small rooms. Pessoa is too small and Garret room too big and therefor too expensive. The Herculas room is 7,5 x 7,5 meters suitable for theatre and cabaret, a big room for 16 persons, but ok to 30 persons.

I think this is a good room size for the EPP, don't you think?

The people working at the hotel could organise a piano for you if they don't have one. It's their daily job to handle specific requests. So you could ask them.

Well, I hope with these room specifications would help you to search for an event room of the right size in the hotel of your choice. Succes!

Not a bad idea smile having looked on Google for this line

"Herculano 1 room: Sq. M 55, Length 7,5 Width 7,2, Height 2,52, Theatre 30, School 18, U 16, Cabaret 21, Banquet -, Buffet -, Cocktail 30."

It instantly takes me to the page you referred to, hopefully Carlos has also found it without any problems smile

On a side note I have cut down on all the distractions that were taking place on a daily basis from computers to whatever else (I'm an IT Technician soo yeah) and putting more time into what matters smile

Last edited by UKIkarus; 11/28/13 12:24 PM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
They don't have a piano though. So hopefully Carlos will find a nice hotel with a piano.

Chris

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission