2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2163506 10/08/13 02:58 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
As a beginner when I play a piece and the hand position is middle C when I play the first note of the piece - if that is what it is called, correctly, and then I usually play the little piece started at the lowest C on the piano - if the piece lets me - or I might have to play it one C higher so that I can play the bass clef, too, else there is no room below or bass notes on the keyboard to play the bass notes. After I play that then I moved to the next C higher and/or I play it there until I run out of the 88 keys at the righthand side of the piano. When I am doing this - is this doing a jump and a leap and if it is not a leap or a jump what is it that I am doing so I know what word I should use to describe what I do when I move on up or down the keyboard playing the pieces so I can describe it succinctly. Thank you for any feedback or help with my question.

respectfully yours,

3BO8LJQ

Last edited by Michael_99; 10/08/13 03:00 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Michael this link may clarify things for you.
http://pianosage.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/piano-athletics-leaps-jumps-on-piano.html

Description of a leap in this blog is a "A leap is a large, quick movement from one note or chord to another (requiring a change of hand position)"

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Michael

As I understand your description, I would call it playing a piece in lower or higher octaves. I do this with kids at school when we sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider. First I play it in the middle and we sing it the normal way; then I play it two octaves lower and we sing The Great Big Spider and then I play it in an octave way up high and we sing the Itsiest Bitsiest Spider. It is great fun.

Learner
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
earlofmar, I have read your post, here;

Re: leaps and jumps question
Michael this link may clarify things for you.

http://pianosage.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/piano-athletics-leaps-jumps-on-piano.html

Description of a leap in this blog is a "A leap is a large, quick movement from one note or chord to another (requiring a change of hand position)"

earlofmar, thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

I am definitely not doing leaps. Leaps seem very difficult and are best left for another time.

3B08JP

Last edited by Michael_99; 10/08/13 10:35 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
malkin, I have read your post, here:

subject: leaps and jumps question [Re: Michael_99]

Hi Michael

As I understand your description, I would call it playing a piece in lower or higher octaves. I do this with kids at school when we sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider. First I play it in the middle and we sing it the normal way; then I play it two octaves lower and we sing The Great Big Spider and then I play it in an octave way up high and we sing the Itsiest Bitsiest Spider. It is great fun.

malkin, thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

Your answer make me realize that the octaves are given names - so I looked at a music book called "The Russian School of Piano Playing" by Boosey and Hawkes and on page 8 it lists the octaves from the bass to the high end of the piano listed below:

Sub-octave, etc.
Contra octave, etc.
Great
Small
First
Second
Third
Fourth

3B08AN

Last edited by Michael_99; 10/08/13 10:51 PM.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
The different octaves are also sometimes numbered.

[Linked Image]

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
tangleweeds, I have read your post, here:

The different octaves are also sometimes numbered.

tangleweeds, thanks very much. I remember seeing that but I didn't know where.

That is perfect for me to use.

3B09PFC

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This RCM 4 piece Chastushka op. 89, no. 25 by Kabalevshy illustrates jumps. The key to playing this is to have your hand in place to play the note BEFORE the beat. The tendency is to move your hand with the beat which is too late. Learning this prepares you for later pieces that involves much more complex movements. Notice in the video this person did not move his hand before the beat causing the initial hickup. Later he moves his hand just in time, which is not ideal. Ideally, his left hand should be in place waiting crossed over his right hand as he plays the chord with his right. The key to jumps is doing it before you need it.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
4evrBeginR, I have read your post, here:

This RCM 4 piece Chastushka op. 89, no. 25 by Kabalevshy illustrates jumps. The key to playing this is to have your hand in place to play the note BEFORE the beat. The tendency is to move your hand with the beat which is too late. Learning this prepares you for later pieces that involves much more complex movements. Notice in the video this person did not move his hand before the beat causing the initial hickup. Later he moves his hand just in time, which is not ideal. Ideally, his left hand should be in place waiting crossed over his right hand as he plays the chord with his right. The key to jumps is doing it before you need it.

4evrBeginR, Thanks very much for taking the time to post an answer to my question. I very much appreciate you taking the time to find a piece that demonstrates a jump. I rushed down to the music store today and got the piece. It is exciting on many levels. First, it is within my range of play; it is Russian and for some reason I have an excitement of to play something Russian and it is exiting because I get to do a jump in the piece. As a beginner, I am working my way though John Thompson method books, and am in the second book within a few pages. I will be stepping out of the book to learn to play this piece and stepping back into John Thompson to continue my journey of learning to play the piano.

cheers,

3B10JR

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good for you! Glad that my previous lessons could benefit others. It's a fun piece to learn.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael_99

...Leaps seem very difficult and are best left for another time.

3B08JP

Michael, I am glad you are going to give some jumps a try. You have mentioned before that you practice slowly so that you can play without errors---jumps are just one more skill. Awkward at first, but then you can learn it.

Have fun and good luck!

Learner
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
malkin, I have read your post, here:

Michael, I am glad you are going to give some jumps a try. You have mentioned before that you practice slowly so that you can play without errors---jumps are just one more skill. Awkward at first, but then you can learn it.

Have fun and good luck

Thanks, malkin.

Don't you like it when you get halfway through a piece and you have your treble clef change to a bass clef and a right hand over - and then you get confused - even though you have notes writen all over the page giving yourself instructions so you don't get confused the next time and the next you get confused again. It is fun doing hand over and a clef change but your brain doesn't always like it!

I made a note to myself with a paper clip to write myself some exercises to smooth out the process so it is not a shocker everytime.

cheers,

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Michael
I made a note to myself with a paper clip to write myself some exercises to smooth out the process so it is not a shocker everytime.

cheers,

I have some shockers like that laugh It can be pretty funny when you're playing with a band and suddenly realize you're not in the same key they are laugh Or practicing a piece and miss that darn octave Bb in the bass - again. Good thing I have a sense of humor.

Making up an exercise is a good idea.

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 10/11/13 11:16 AM.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jotur
Originally Posted by Michael

cheers,

I have some shockers like that laugh It can be pretty funny when you're playing with a band and suddenly realize you're not in the same key they are laugh Or practicing a piece and miss that darn octave Bb in the bass - again.

Or playing a church service (off a lead sheet this time) and the guitar player leans over in the middle of a hymn and whispers we go from key of D to E on the last verse.

Dang! A little warning would have been nice!

gotta go practice

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission