Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
132 registered (accordeur, A Guy, anotherscott, anamnesis, 55 invisible), 1854 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2164954 - 10/11/13 05:07 PM silent piano
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I know very little about silent pianos only what I have read up online. What is the point of them? Why would you want a piano that can be made silent? The whole point of a piano is so you can hear what you play.

I have looked on youtube and someone was demonstrating a silent piano and it is a cross between a digital and an accoustic where you silence the hammers and plug in headphones then it becomes digital and then when you take out the headphones and turn off the silencer it reverts into an accoustic again. I think for my next piano I might get one but even with my digital piano, I never use it with headphones because I live alone and there is noobody to disturb, but it was interesting to find out about silent pianos.

What will they dream up next???

Edited by adultpianist (10/11/13 05:14 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2164975 - 10/11/13 05:53 PM Re: silent piano [Re: adultpianist]
upbeat Offline

Loc: Melmac
The point of them is that people like me, who live in a one bedroom apartment can practice and study at night without getting bricks thrown at our heads the next morning by all our neighbours. smile

It's just a tool so you can play a REAL piano at off-hours (as most musicians often do).

Now... is it worth paying 1.5 K more than you would for the SAME piano with no silent system? Jury's still out on that one for me (though leaning towards a no).

#2165015 - 10/11/13 07:19 PM Re: silent piano [Re: upbeat]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'll stick with my Yamaha digital as it is cheaper to maintain. Even with silent pianos, I would think they still need tuning which can be expensive. Mind you, you can still play them in the dark when the power goes off. Simply put some candles on the top and pretend you are Liberace lol. I never did really like him. He was a brilliant pianist but a bit too flamboyant for me.

#2165019 - 10/11/13 07:46 PM Re: silent piano [Re: adultpianist]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I have a silent piano and love it. But yes, of course it still needs tuning, as it is basically an acoustic. I am a night owl, so it is really great for me to be able to play at 3 am without waking up the whole neighborhood (I live in an apartment).

Music is my best friend.

#2165059 - 10/11/13 10:34 PM Re: silent piano [Re: ChopinAddict]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I too live in an apartment and have a digital. However the guy underneath me says he does not mind if I play in the evenings or during the day. I have headphones but unfortunately I do not use them because when I tried, he said he could not hear me play but he could feel the vibration through the floor so I cannot play late at night, except when he is out.

#2165134 - 10/12/13 02:50 AM Re: silent piano [Re: adultpianist]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I always play in acoustic mode during the day. I don't think my neighbours mind because they have never complained and I have noticed that they even keep the window open (I noticed when their phone rings for example). I don't really like that they keep their window open and hear everything, but I cannot tell them to close it!

Music is my best friend.

#2165289 - 10/12/13 01:57 PM Re: silent piano [Re: adultpianist]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
Another thing is the action on a silent. With the Yamaha grand silent mechanism you (or I at least) can't detect any difference. So whether practising accoustic or silent it's all exactly the same.

And sometimes it's not just the sound volume but the repetition that drives neightbours and the rest of the family insane. When I'm learning something and am playing the same passage over and over again, I sometimes take pity on them and even during daylight hours switch over to silent.

And then there's transpose for when I can no longer sing along to the songs I used to in days gone by. And then there's silly things like playing a Procol Harum song and switching to Hammond organ for a section without getting up.

I do love playing a real piano and feeling the vibrations through the floorboards and the bench, but I don't regret the extra money to have the silent/digital option.

#2165503 - 10/13/13 02:38 AM Re: silent piano [Re: de cajon]
Romek Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
Same here. I startet from Yamaha P-85, then Kawai MP6 then I began to think about Yamaha NU-1 or AG series, but definitely I needed a "real thing". After a very long search, I opted for W. Hoffmann V120 with the Vario system and I'm very happy with it. I don't play the MP6 anymore and I practice as much as I can on the acoustic. Still, when I use the Vario it is the same action and feel as in the acoustic (different sound though). It is costly but it does the trick (I will sell the MP6 anyway).

Edited by Romek (10/13/13 05:32 AM)

#2165641 - 10/13/13 12:14 PM Re: silent piano [Re: adultpianist]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I too live in an apartment and the silent feature means I can play whenever I like.

It IS an acoustic and a digital - the best of both worlds.

I bought my used, in top notch condition and it wasn't very much more expensive than other second hand ordinary acoustics they had in the shop.

The few extra euros I spent have been more than worthwhile though. When I get home late, I can play, when I get up early I can play. I can even practice my scales and repetitions over and over and over without driving others nuts. I can record easily and even when the acoustic part isn't in tune.

#2165642 - 10/13/13 12:23 PM Re: silent piano [Re: casinitaly]
chopin_r_us Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Just picked up my portable 3 octave dummy practice keyboard (just like Liszt's) - watch out piano world! (or should I say silent Piano world?).

#2165850 - 10/14/13 12:41 AM Re: silent piano [Re: de cajon]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: de cajon
Another thing is the action on a silent. With the Yamaha grand silent mechanism you (or I at least) can't detect any difference. So whether practising accoustic or silent it's all exactly the same.

Maybe I am over sensitive, but it's completely different with my Yamaha upright and all the other silent uprights I have tried in stores.

So the pros of having a silent piano:
- I can practice whenever I want/need to (live in a flat and am seldom home at the hours when it's appropriate to play piano)
- I have a silent keyboard to use when I feel I need that kind of practice
- Cleaning the keys is less unpleasant smile

Cons:
- The action is different when playing silent
- The action is not really nice for me when not playing silent (either because the hammers are placed differently due to the silent bar or my piano action just sucks in general)
- I don't really care for the digital sound
- I need to be careful not to damage my hearing if I play a lot with the headphones.
- Too much headphone practicing is not good for my playing. Keeping the volume down for longer periods makes me sensitive to the loudness of the actual piano sound and I end up playing too reserved.

Edited by outo (10/14/13 12:42 AM)

#2165902 - 10/14/13 04:01 AM Re: silent piano [Re: outo]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: outo
... With the Yamaha grand silent mechanism you ... can't detect any difference...

Maybe I am over sensitive, but it's completely different with my Yamaha upright and all the other silent uprights I have tried in stores...

Yes, that's what I understand too. Upright Yamahas do have a different action when switching between accoustic and silent.

#2165925 - 10/14/13 06:45 AM Re: silent piano [Re: de cajon]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: outo
... With the Yamaha grand silent mechanism you ... can't detect any difference...

Maybe I am over sensitive, but it's completely different with my Yamaha upright and all the other silent uprights I have tried in stores...

Yes, that's what I understand too. Upright Yamahas do have a different action when switching between accoustic and silent.

My plan is to get a grand, but I am drawn between keeping my silent upright also or getting a digital to supplement the grand (which does not appeal to me). If indeed the grand action is not bothered by the silent system as in uprights, I might actually consider a grand with that... I didn't like the smaller Yamaha grands at all, but I could consider a Kawai...

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations at Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
12/20/14 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Forum Stats
77372 Members
42 Forums
160016 Topics
2349881 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission