Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2165110 - 10/12/13 12:56 AM Question about Schirmer editions
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

At times, I've noticed piano teachers look down on Schirmer Editions. I've always been very happy with them. I'm guessing the reason is because so many fingerings are given, but I'm not sure. For me, I'd take it over a Henle edition any day because it has far more personality.

Any comments?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2165114 - 10/12/13 01:17 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Schirmer has wild swings of quality mostly because there are so many different editors whose work ended up being distributed by Schirmer.

Schirmer's edition of Bach is basically useless. They still write out the mordents as "grace notes."

And I've noted the awful, awful fingering suggestions that Schirmer provides. But the same could be said about some Henle editions.

The older Schirmer editions tend to be cramped and cluttered. I haven't really paid much attention to the most recent editions, so things may have improved in the layout department.

#2165119 - 10/12/13 01:37 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I think that the old schirmer editions are indeed, awful. Everything about the editions was bad.

Jump in Frankfurt 2012 and I saw some FABULOUS Schirmer editions. nothing like the old yellow paper! Excellent! John (von Brook) who we were together, told me that these are recent publications and work very well!

So... not sure anymore...

But generally speaking, the old dinosaurs are difficult to change: Schirmer, Peters, Kalmus (ouch...)... :-/

#2165167 - 10/12/13 05:59 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
musicpassion Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
The Schirmer editions have had some truly terrible editing. As already mentioned, some are absolutely useless and I would not allow a student (or myself) to use them lest we become musically tainted by the dark, evil errors.

That being said there are also some wonderful Schirmer editions. I think it depends on who edited.

#2165169 - 10/12/13 06:02 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
musicpassion Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
You mention Henle... the reason someone reaches for an urtext edition is usually to understand what the composer actually wrote (as opposed to an editor). Some modern edited editions are good at clearly identifying the editors work, but the old Schirmer editions are not.

#2165170 - 10/12/13 06:04 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: Candywoman
At times, I've noticed piano teachers look down on Schirmer Editions. I've always been very happy with them. I'm guessing the reason is because so many fingerings are given, but I'm not sure. For me, I'd take it over a Henle edition any day because it has far more personality.

Any comments?

Schirmer editions really depend on the editor. I don't think Schirmer edition is comparable to Henle because one is edited and one is urtext with critical commentaries.

If you have questions, try find Schirmer editions on imslp. Some of it are in public domain.

#2165185 - 10/12/13 07:35 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
Arthritis Offline

As one who has his fair share of old Shirmer editions lying about the house, I'd like to add one thing. As we get older and look back on things in life, I think that it's good to have lots of pleasant memories. When I consider my old Shirmer editions, however, I tend to think of poorly laid out, poorly edited scores on paper that even looked yellow and old even when it was new. Not to beat up on just Shirmer, I also have my fair share of crappy old Dover editions (Schumann's piano music in two volumes comes to mind) for which those lousy old volumes haunt my memories of Schumann's works to this very day.

Buy yourself nice editions -- nice in terms of the paper, the editing, the page layout, the commentary, etc. Maybe, as someone remarked, the newer Schirmer editions are better than they used to be. I hope so.

And if you're a teacher, think of your students' future memories. They will forever associate the piece of music (and you, their teacher) with the score they learn from. So have them buy good editions.

By the way, the other day I started a thread about editions, and I'm still looking for suggestions for a good edition of the Mozart Piano Concerto in A, K 488. (I learned this piece from an old, yellowing Schirmer Edition, and I definitely want something nicer for my student who is going to work on the piece.)

#2165230 - 10/12/13 10:43 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
DinaP Offline

So...........if the consensus so far is at least the old Shirmer editions are bad -- what do you use with your students???

#2165496 - 10/13/13 01:08 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
Arthritis Offline

Quote:
So...........if the consensus so far is at least the old Shirmer editions are bad -- what do you use with your students???

There isn't one publishing company that makes the best edition for everything. I like Henle for some works, Barenreiter for others, Wiener Urtext for yet others, International, Peters, and so on and so on. The newer Shirmer editions might be good for some things, as well. Take Billy Joel's "Music for Solo Piano, Op. 1-10" for instance; it's probably only available in the Shirmer Edition.

In short, I think it is good to take a look at scores and compare, or else get recommendations from knowledgeable people. I started a separate thread the other day called "Recommendations on Editions" to ask advice on editions of specific pieces for my students. I live in a place where there isn't a good music store nearby, so I need to order things online.

#2165511 - 10/13/13 03:01 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Candywoman]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Some Schirmer editions are very good, others are not so good. The Kirkpatrick Scarlatti sonatas should be in your collection. So should the complete Brahms piano works, which is a corrected version of the Breitkopf & Härtel edition. Like many other publishers, they have been revising their editions of the standard piano repertoire, bringing them up to current standards.

Anything written in the past 75 years or so is in copyright, so the only edition is the original publisher, and Schirmer did (and still does) a lot of original publishing.

#2165512 - 10/13/13 03:02 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: DinaP]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: DinaP

I'm a big fan of Henle Urtext for most things, especially Bach. I've used a few of the Alfred Masterwork Editions, which are really well researched and edited. Once in a blue moon I would venture into Peters and (gasp!) Schirmer. When I do, I tend to have the students whiteout all the fingering.

I tend to teach off-the-wall music, so sometimes the only available edition is a really awful one. 20th-century European music is notorious for bad editions that are copyrighted, so nobody can do anything about it except for buying these super expensive editions that look like absolute garbage.

#2165544 - 10/13/13 06:16 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: AZNpiano]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
[quote=DinaP]I tend to teach off-the-wall music, so sometimes the only available edition is a really awful one. 20th-century European music is notorious for bad editions that are copyrighted, so nobody can do anything about it except for buying these super expensive editions that look like absolute garbage.
hmmm reminds me of Durand (Lemoine) and the case of Ravel and Messiaen... hmmm...

#2165611 - 10/13/13 10:37 AM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: Nikolas]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
We used to have a Schirmer expert here on the forum. Guess he's on vacation at the moment.

In the earlier part of the 20th Century, Schirmer purchased publishing rights for the USA from a number of European publishers. For example, Peters. These were highly edited, romanticized editors of the old school. With the advent of the Urtext editions, we got away from such "free" style playing, back to what could be termed more authentic performance. Never mind that we were not playing on the same instruments or in the same venues or in the same cultural periods in which these editions were published.

The recent Schirmer editions are edited by contemporary pedagogues, with students in mind, and have highly informative performance practice notes, level of difficulties, etc. In other words, they are 21st century editions for 21st century students and performers. Worth taking a look at.

#2165666 - 10/13/13 01:21 PM Re: Question about Schirmer editions [Re: AZNpiano]
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

I tend to teach off-the-wall music, so sometimes the only available edition is a really awful one. 20th-century European music is notorious for bad editions that are copyrighted, so nobody can do anything about it except for buying these super expensive editions that look like absolute garbage.

AZNpiano, I'm curious about the "off-the-wall" music, would you mind sharing some examples of what you're teaching?

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, 7notemode, 36251, Abby Pianoman, 50 invisible), 1680 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76033 Members
42 Forums
157209 Topics
2309014 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
09/01/14 02:11 PM
Do you "swing" your Courante?
by Cinnamonbear
09/01/14 01:47 PM
Kawai MP6 and settings via MIDI
by Lania
09/01/14 01:10 PM
Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 4 in Ab - technique question
by Pistos
09/01/14 10:37 AM
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
09/01/14 09:29 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission