Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2165216 - 10/12/13 10:00 AM help removing action on brewster player piano
jstateson Offline

I have a broken string and a hammer that sometimes does not hit the string (among other problems). I thought I could remove the bad key and adjust the range but it seems I have to remove the action to get access. The right hand side of the player seems to have some screws that hold the action in. I don't see the corresponding screws on the LHS. Can someone suggest how to get access to the strings and hammers? I would like to do as much work as I can before calling to get it tuned. Can the entire action assembly be removed all in once piece? Picture of Brewster follows and I put clickable urls to the remaining photos under the following image as they are very large:
Brewster:

Bad Hammer

Broken String

RHS

LHS

Thanks for looking!

#2165881 - 10/14/13 02:31 AM Re: help removing action on brewster player piano [Re: jstateson]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Oddly enough, I ran into the same problem Thursday with another Standard action like that. I was able to get out the screw on the right hand side that holds the stack in, but there was no screw on the left hand side. It has been quite a while since I worked on pneumatic players, and I did not have a lot of time to fuss with it, but as a general rule, there is one big screw on each side, and then the stack slides forward and then lifts up.

Standard was one of the largest manufacturers of player actions. The tracking bellows, to the left of the spool box, are distinctive.

Since you are going to need someone to do work, I suggest you leave it to them. That way, they will know how to put it back.

#2167239 - 10/16/13 03:01 PM Re: help removing action on brewster player piano [Re: jstateson]
jstateson Offline

Thanks for your reply. I have had this player since 1999 and previously it was in a restaurant since 1953. It was a gift from the owner. I have refinished most of the wood and two months ago replaced some of the damper felts which easy to access. Last month I ordered a repair manual for player pianos from QRS but it never came it. Not sure if it was backordered or is permanently out of stock but I did see the same book available on Amazon just 2 days ago. Anyway, I put this post up when I realized it may be a while before I get the manual.

I was looking at this and it appears I have the "drop action" and not the wire and elbow. Part "12" in that diagram goes up on my player and not down. I need to adjust item "10" and put in a felt pad, 8, to raise the key slightly (I am guessing).

It appears I cannot do this without removing the stack but I am confident I can get it out and not have pieces left over when putting back in.

The piano tuner I (my mother actually) last used was blind and was very good but cannot help with replacing the wire or key alignment. My sister, who lives on the left coast, recommended that I only hire members of the piano guild. However, she didn't have a problem having me fix her windows laptop and I am not Microsoft certified.

I am trying to cancel my order from QRS and get the book on amazon plus there seems to be some good info that that piano care site.

Joseph "Beemer Biker" Stateson
ask about my '99 R1100RT.

#2185396 - 11/19/13 09:58 PM Re: help removing action on brewster player piano [Re: jstateson]
Roy Rodgers Offline

Loc: Ranger, Texas
Looks to me like the 4 larger screws have to come out on the left hand side to remove the player action. The reason it has 4 screws may be because the vacuum supply opening is behind the action there and the 4 screws hold the action against that opening.

But without being there it is hard to tell. The smaller screws hold the outer board in place.

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Your Favorite key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
10/24/14 03:18 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (arX, anotherscott, a-z0-9, A Guy, 41 invisible), 1157 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158480 Topics
2327380 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission