Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2165217 - 10/12/13 10:00 AM Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland
daz100 Offline

Here I have got 3 mp3s of the same recording Ludovico Einaudi (In Un Altra Vita).Which sound would you more prefer.

First is Roland Rd700nx studio grand
Next is Pianoteq play using the D4 classical AB preset Last is Ivory 2,studio 7ft 16 level 2

I chose this recording because there is no flats and sharps and I have only got the demo version of pianoteq.

https://app.box.com/s/0ov3r5aw1yddr8wwos14
https://app.box.com/s/2cuj56rptwk1tb3l5rv7
https://app.box.com/s/1yib6vnwznpx2x37gyjo

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2165222 - 10/12/13 10:22 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
daz100 Offline

I forgot to just mention I am reading sheetmusic and sometimes you will hear pauses in the music where I am page turning.

#2165228 - 10/12/13 10:29 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Psychonaut Offline

I didn't listen until the end, but gave each version a minute or so. I think the Ivory is clearly the best, followed by the Roland and Pianoteq coming in 3rd.

I've been playing with the Pianoteq demo too. I considered getting the "stage" version before deciding on the Galaxy Vintage D. While I do like the idea of modelling, and think Pianoteq has a certain expressive dynamic that sampled pianos I've tried lack, the overtones are rather over the top, and it has as sort of muddy and plastic-like tone to me. I currently have the 40 day Truepianos demo too, which I think I like better, and may purchase at some point. Ivory has no trial version that I'm aware of, but after listening to some mp3 demos, I like everything about it ecxept the price.

#2165273 - 10/12/13 01:29 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Personally preferred Pianoteq, which I have. But that is only one sample of a dozen or so D4s, all of which can be altered significantly in the effects department. Like reverb, wet or dry . . .and the graphic equalizer makes huge differences in the overall tone.

If you can change the sound on the other samples you have here, it`s not really representative. But interesting nonetheless.

""

#2165295 - 10/12/13 02:02 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
As recorded, the Pianoteq for me.

#2165326 - 10/12/13 03:34 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Psychonaut Offline

I suspect that eventually modelling (or hybrid sample & modelling) will come of age, supplanting the huge multi-GB sample libraries as the virtual pianos of choice, but I don't think we're quite there yet. But as Pianoteq rolls out a V5, or Truepianos a V2 and so on, I will definitely be paying attention.

I am surprised people prefer the Pianoteq here, and that so many people rave about it elsewhere. Maybe I'm missing something, but to my ears it doesn't sound superior, even though in some ways it's touch response and resonance is very, very good.

#2165328 - 10/12/13 03:36 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
daz100 Offline

When choosing these preset sounds I didn't add any extra reverb or do any equalising even the roland was set to its standard studio grand setting.

I personally thought the midrange notes Ivory 2 was my preferred sound ,but in the 2nd half of the song the higher notes are used and then I think it is obvious Pianoteq is favoured .
I felt more connected to pianoteq than Ivory whilst playing .
I will be buying the full version of pianoteq play,I prefer it's simplicity and quick load time and my computer can struggle at times to run Ivory.

#2165332 - 10/12/13 03:46 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
I can't help it but Pianoteq always sounds to me like "piano in a box" (listened to from outside the box). This holds for your recording and virtually all demos on Pianoteq website. Otherwise I would love it. As it is, I must side with Ivory.

#2165344 - 10/12/13 04:25 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
The Ivory recording has a little much room reverb in it, which puts it at a disadvantage here. The other two are a little cleaner. Sometimes it's fun to play with the various reverb settings, but especially when we are focusing on the piano sound, a little reverb goes a long way.

PianoTeq is still my least favorite, but man they have made progress. A few versions ago PianoTeq was just awful.

Edited by gvfarns (10/12/13 04:26 PM)

#2165348 - 10/12/13 04:30 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Easy win for Ivory here. But it's clear that the Ivory has been set up with some reverb that the others lack. It also has its stereo width set higher.

#2165353 - 10/12/13 05:01 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Psychonaut]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Originally Posted By: Psychonaut
I currently have the 40 day Truepianos demo too, which I think I like better, and may purchase at some point. Ivory has no trial version that I'm aware of, but after listening to some mp3 demos, I like everything about it ecxept the price.

Is there any 40 days demo of True Keys ??
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2165362 - 10/12/13 05:27 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: jarosujo]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: jarosujo
[quote=Psychonaut]

Is there any 40 days demo of True Keys ??

This is a new one on me, so I had to look it up. Doesn't look like it. The sample libraries generally don't have trial versions, most likely because they're so large. You could always check Try Sound to see if they have it, but I've never used this since my DAW & keys aren't connected to the internet, and the latency is likely terrible.

#2165375 - 10/12/13 06:00 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
jarosujo Offline

My fault, I confused Truepianos for True Keys.
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2165392 - 10/12/13 06:58 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
I played a little bit with the EQ of WINAMP when listening, trying to get it the best adjusted for myself, and came to the result that

IVORY is my very clear winner. Playing with the EQ I could find everything in there. It offers great overtones and sounded clear defined from the bass to the treble. It has the obvious character of a piano, as a piano can be expected to sound if boxed into a digital machine instead of having a true acoustic one.

Roland sounded dissapointing lifeless. I bet that it was not from a HP-505 recorded, my own recordings are much richer in sound, although I would not right away say my HP-505 will beat the IVORY. Would need to really compare those.

Pianoteq sounded like listening through small speakers in a cheap plastic housing connected to my office PC. Didn┬┤t attract me to test it further.

Have you listened to the "GIANT"? I once in a comparison have had it decided to be my favorite that time and therefore if ever updating to a software piano would for sure test it once more personally for responsiveness before doing a final purchase decision.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2165404 - 10/12/13 07:37 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Psychonaut]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Psychonaut
I didn't listen until the end, but gave each version a minute or so. I think the Ivory is clearly the best, followed by the Roland and Pianoteq coming in 3rd.

+1

But the convenience of built-in sounds makes Roland a winner IMHO.

Edited by Amaruk (10/12/13 07:43 PM)

#2165406 - 10/12/13 07:43 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Marco M]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Marco M

Roland sounded dissapointing lifeless. I bet that it was not from a HP-505 recorded, my own recordings are much richer in sound, although I would not right away say my HP-505 will beat the IVORY.

I think the SN Studio Grand is unique to the RD-700NX. I don't have it on my LX-15 at least.

#2165535 - 10/13/13 05:27 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Ivory has the most subtle, beautiful and singing notes here, but I'm afraid that there must be some settings involved in this perception (Reverb, mic. position...).
Pianoteq sounds very well, too, it's surprisingly warm for a modelled piano, and most people here praise how well you connect with it when playing. Just some dislikes: too bassy/muddy in this preset, and too many overtones. Reminds me of my school's upright in it's tiny room, where the overtones eat you.
Roland...sounds so Roland! I don't like it at all, but my likes are on the warmer side of the sound. I'm fed up with too bright and twangy pianos.

#2165539 - 10/13/13 05:44 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
daz100 Offline

Here I have another link to the same recording but using Ivory 2 German D 18 level 2.
No reverb,using medium resonent and turned down the stereo width to 50 percent.
I think it's better here.

https://app.box.com/s/ahqwuajqy3v2hjprn78i

#2165566 - 10/13/13 08:28 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
I see a clear winner here: Ludovico Einaudi. marvelous piano piece...

the 3 recordings are just that: three different recordings of the same piano music on different pianos and varied acoustic conditions...

my piano haiku

#2165607 - 10/13/13 10:22 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Doritos Flavoured]
Ben Crosland Online   content

Loc: Worcester, UK
Did you use the wizard to set up the velocity response in Pianoteq to suit your controller?

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#2165626 - 10/13/13 11:37 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Pat22 Offline

I own Pianoteq 4.5 now for 2 months and I can tell you
that the demos only show 20% of it's capabilities.

Changing the mics positions does improve the sound a lot.
You have to use it, tweak it and play it a lot and you will smile more
and more each day....

#2165637 - 10/13/13 12:02 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Ben Crosland]
daz100 Offline

To set up the velocity curve I used the calibration procedure built into pianoteq.

It would be good if anybody can add any of their own demo's of pianoteq or Ivory and share their set ups .

#2165813 - 10/13/13 09:38 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Reading through this thread, I was surprised no one mentioned the Bluethner add-on for Pianotek. Most of the classical players I've seen purchase Pianotek in the last several months usually mention that they also got this add on at a cost of about 50% more than what Pianotek alone would cost. Must make a big difference. For a sample of what it sounds like in a few different styles, click here:

http://www.pianoteq.com/bluethner

#2165825 - 10/13/13 10:56 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Starr Keys]

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
Reading through this thread, I was surprised no one mentioned the Bluethner add-on for Pianotek. Most of the classical players I've seen purchase Pianotek in the last several months usually mention that they also got this add on at a cost of about 50% more than what Pianotek alone would cost. Must make a big difference. For a sample of what it sounds like in a few different styles, click here:

http://www.pianoteq.com/bluethner

so, let me get this straight: the guys develop a software that produces sound by simulating the actual physical model of the strings, materials and soundboards, a flexible software which can produce sounds quite faithful to real pianos by simply tweaking a few parameters here and there, like string and soundboard material, string size, mic position etc.

then to use a preset made out from one such tweak by the name Bl├╝thner, you should pay a larger extra fee?

my piano haiku

#2165826 - 10/13/13 11:04 PM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Not quite.

Think of Pianoteq as the 'host' software, that allows modelled instruments (such as a Bl├╝thner) to be loaded into it.

Kind regards,

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2165851 - 10/14/13 12:49 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]

or at least, that's what they want you to think. wink

those "models" are not gigabyte-sized samples. what are they? they are really more akin to equations and parameters fed into the main software engine, which is what produces the sound. I'd say the real difference in pricing in the case of the Bl├╝thner, besides the darker overtones pianoteq produce given the proper material and string size settings, are related to the name itself more than any hidden parameters not found in the software itself already...

my piano haiku

#2165855 - 10/14/13 12:55 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
jarosujo Offline

I don't think you can make your own Bl├╝thner (or any other) add-on from regular Pianoteq just by tweaking parameters. I guess it involves some kind of more complex programming.

#2165857 - 10/14/13 01:02 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Doritos Flavoured]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Doritos Flavoured
or at least, that's what they want you to think. wink

those "models" are not gigabyte-sized samples. what are they? they are really more akin to equations and parameters fed into the main software engine, which is what produces the sound. I'd say the real difference in pricing in the case of the Bl├╝thner, besides the darker overtones pianoteq produce given the proper material and string size settings, are related to the name itself more than any hidden parameters not found in the software itself already...

No, it's a new model.

The filesize is irrelevant - the fact is that individuals have invested countless hours programming this new piano model, and are therefore entitled to be paid for their work.

James
x

#2165861 - 10/14/13 01:14 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: Kawai James]

Originally Posted By: jarosujo
I don't think you can make your own Bl├╝thner (or any other) add-on from regular Pianoteq just by tweaking parameters. I guess it involves some kind of more complex programming.

regular users sure can't. or else, how'd they make a business around it?

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

No, it's a new model.

The filesize is irrelevant - the fact is that individuals have invested countless hours programming this new piano model, and are therefore entitled to be paid for their work.

James
x

what I'm paying for when I buy a pianoteq license, then?

all those countless hours were really into the pianoteq physical-based simulator. the models in addons are really pretty much programmer-level parameters and tweaks...

ok, perhaps I'm overstating it. Perhaps pianoteq is like Pixar's Renderman (a photorealistic renderer) and the addon models are like Pixar movies, while the ones included in the package are Pixar shorts...

I really don't believe it, but to each his own...

my piano haiku

#2165863 - 10/14/13 01:19 AM Re: Ivory 2,Pianoteq and Roland [Re: daz100]
9000 Post Club Member

To use your nice analogy, Pianoteq is like Renderman, and the add-on models are like...well, the 3D models used to create rendered scenes.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (ajames, Al LaPorte, A Guy, 36251, acortot, 31 invisible), 1022 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157135 Topics
2307748 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
Today at 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
Today at 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
Yesterday at 07:29 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission