2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
daz100 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here I have got 3 mp3s of the same recording Ludovico Einaudi (In Un Altra Vita).Which sound would you more prefer.

First is Roland Rd700nx studio grand
Next is Pianoteq play using the D4 classical AB preset Last is Ivory 2,studio 7ft 16 level 2

I chose this recording because there is no flats and sharps and I have only got the demo version of pianoteq.

https://app.box.com/s/0ov3r5aw1yddr8wwos14
https://app.box.com/s/2cuj56rptwk1tb3l5rv7
https://app.box.com/s/1yib6vnwznpx2x37gyjo

Kawai CA99PE,True keys American,Ivory Grand pianos, Pianoteq 8 and Ravenscroft
D
daz100 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I forgot to just mention I am reading sheetmusic and sometimes you will hear pauses in the music where I am page turning.

I didn't listen until the end, but gave each version a minute or so. I think the Ivory is clearly the best, followed by the Roland and Pianoteq coming in 3rd.

I've been playing with the Pianoteq demo too. I considered getting the "stage" version before deciding on the Galaxy Vintage D. While I do like the idea of modelling, and think Pianoteq has a certain expressive dynamic that sampled pianos I've tried lack, the overtones are rather over the top, and it has as sort of muddy and plastic-like tone to me. I currently have the 40 day Truepianos demo too, which I think I like better, and may purchase at some point. Ivory has no trial version that I'm aware of, but after listening to some mp3 demos, I like everything about it ecxept the price.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Personally preferred Pianoteq, which I have. But that is only one sample of a dozen or so D4s, all of which can be altered significantly in the effects department. Like reverb, wet or dry . . .and the graphic equalizer makes huge differences in the overall tone.

If you can change the sound on the other samples you have here, it`s not really representative. But interesting nonetheless.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
D
As recorded, the Pianoteq for me.

Yamaha C3X SH
I suspect that eventually modelling (or hybrid sample & modelling) will come of age, supplanting the huge multi-GB sample libraries as the virtual pianos of choice, but I don't think we're quite there yet. But as Pianoteq rolls out a V5, or Truepianos a V2 and so on, I will definitely be paying attention.

I am surprised people prefer the Pianoteq here, and that so many people rave about it elsewhere. Maybe I'm missing something, but to my ears it doesn't sound superior, even though in some ways it's touch response and resonance is very, very good.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
D
daz100 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
When choosing these preset sounds I didn't add any extra reverb or do any equalising even the roland was set to its standard studio grand setting.

I personally thought the midrange notes Ivory 2 was my preferred sound ,but in the 2nd half of the song the higher notes are used and then I think it is obvious Pianoteq is favoured .
I felt more connected to pianoteq than Ivory whilst playing .
I will be buying the full version of pianoteq play,I prefer it's simplicity and quick load time and my computer can struggle at times to run Ivory.

H
H
I can't help it but Pianoteq always sounds to me like "piano in a box" (listened to from outside the box). This holds for your recording and virtually all demos on Pianoteq website. Otherwise I would love it. As it is, I must side with Ivory.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
The Ivory recording has a little much room reverb in it, which puts it at a disadvantage here. The other two are a little cleaner. Sometimes it's fun to play with the various reverb settings, but especially when we are focusing on the piano sound, a little reverb goes a long way.

PianoTeq is still my least favorite, but man they have made progress. A few versions ago PianoTeq was just awful.

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/12/13 04:26 PM.
Easy win for Ivory here. But it's clear that the Ivory has been set up with some reverb that the others lack. It also has its stereo width set higher.

Originally Posted by Psychonaut
I currently have the 40 day Truepianos demo too, which I think I like better, and may purchase at some point. Ivory has no trial version that I'm aware of, but after listening to some mp3 demos, I like everything about it ecxept the price.

Is there any 40 days demo of True Keys ??

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
Originally Posted by jarosujo
[quote=Psychonaut]

Is there any 40 days demo of True Keys ??

This is a new one on me, so I had to look it up. Doesn't look like it. The sample libraries generally don't have trial versions, most likely because they're so large. You could always check Try Sound to see if they have it, but I've never used this since my DAW & keys aren't connected to the internet, and the latency is likely terrible.

My fault, I confused Truepianos for True Keys.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I played a little bit with the EQ of WINAMP when listening, trying to get it the best adjusted for myself, and came to the result that

IVORY is my very clear winner. Playing with the EQ I could find everything in there. It offers great overtones and sounded clear defined from the bass to the treble. It has the obvious character of a piano, as a piano can be expected to sound if boxed into a digital machine instead of having a true acoustic one.

Roland sounded dissapointing lifeless. I bet that it was not from a HP-505 recorded, my own recordings are much richer in sound, although I would not right away say my HP-505 will beat the IVORY. Would need to really compare those.

Pianoteq sounded like listening through small speakers in a cheap plastic housing connected to my office PC. Didn´t attract me to test it further.

Have you listened to the "GIANT"? I once in a comparison have had it decided to be my favorite that time and therefore if ever updating to a software piano would for sure test it once more personally for responsiveness before doing a final purchase decision.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Psychonaut
I didn't listen until the end, but gave each version a minute or so. I think the Ivory is clearly the best, followed by the Roland and Pianoteq coming in 3rd.

+1

But the convenience of built-in sounds makes Roland a winner IMHO.

Last edited by Amaruk; 10/12/13 07:43 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marco M

Roland sounded dissapointing lifeless. I bet that it was not from a HP-505 recorded, my own recordings are much richer in sound, although I would not right away say my HP-505 will beat the IVORY.

I think the SN Studio Grand is unique to the RD-700NX. I don't have it on my LX-15 at least.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Ivory has the most subtle, beautiful and singing notes here, but I'm afraid that there must be some settings involved in this perception (Reverb, mic. position...).
Pianoteq sounds very well, too, it's surprisingly warm for a modelled piano, and most people here praise how well you connect with it when playing. Just some dislikes: too bassy/muddy in this preset, and too many overtones. Reminds me of my school's upright in it's tiny room, where the overtones eat you.
Roland...sounds so Roland! I don't like it at all, but my likes are on the warmer side of the sound. I'm fed up with too bright and twangy pianos.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
D
daz100 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here I have another link to the same recording but using Ivory 2 German D 18 level 2.
No reverb,using medium resonent and turned down the stereo width to 50 percent.
I think it's better here.

https://app.box.com/s/ahqwuajqy3v2hjprn78i

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I see a clear winner here: Ludovico Einaudi. marvelous piano piece...

the 3 recordings are just that: three different recordings of the same piano music on different pianos and varied acoustic conditions...

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
B
B
Did you use the wizard to set up the velocity response in Pianoteq to suit your controller?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission