Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2165364 - 10/12/13 05:40 PM Multitrack recordings . .
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Need a hand here, guys. I`ve been using the old method of onboard recoding on my pee-anno which has all of 5 tracks (+backing) none of which I can edit.

Now, the absence of modern machinery to provide multitrack recording, yet embody hundreds of decent instrument/synth/etc stuff indicates clearly that this method is outdated. The computer link up is the way to go, it would seem, which entails all sorts o` stuff that darned near scares me to death. And seems inconvenient to boot (sorry).

Those of you who do multirecording tracks; waddya do?? How d`ya find it?

Otherwise it`s retro for me since I could do with a better keyboard action(Yammy CLP270 or similar) or Casio (have yet to thoroughly try them out) . . . .

Thanks for reading!

""

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2165383 - 10/12/13 06:27 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

As you mentioned- I think the multitrack machinery (Tascam etc..) has become less popular due to the computer.

For the last 3 years I have been using for 8 tracks the Roland Juno Gi which has a built in digital recorder.

Now, the interesting thing is the Juno Gi also serves as a audio interface so I am able to record my virtual piano (Addictive Keys on it)

I am also learning Mixcraft (a computer recording program) and have a Steinberg interface
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2165389 - 10/12/13 06:43 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
you could start by trying these:

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php

Both of these are well under 100 dollars - around 40 euros...I use the second one of those: Reaper from cuckos. I think you already use pianoteq so you must already be hooked up to the piano with midi/ audio, and be using some kind of asio with the sound card, so it's just a matter of running midi through one of the above mentioned mutli-trackers.

You can then run the sounds from the piano (or other external source including microphone etc) through the multi-tracker, or use 'vst's which are sounds installed in the computer as plug-ins, usually.

The number of tracks is unlimited, but in practice, will be restricted by how good your computer is - mine begins to crack up when dealing with 20 or so tracks because the CPUs (even though fast)begin to crack up - or rather, the stream of data cracks up.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2165394 - 10/12/13 07:00 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

however, if looking for an actual machine (not a computer program/ daw) I'd check out these Zoom multitrackers: http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_r16.htm

Certainly, it would avoid all that arsing around with latency and sample buffer sizes etc etc - which is unavoidable with computer based systems (at least if using Windows)

ps, I like your 'to boot' joke - it's really very good - dry as Plymouth Gin.

Edited by toddy (10/12/13 07:04 PM)

#2165395 - 10/12/13 07:01 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Psychonaut Offline

Contemporary digital recording setups constitute a whole universe of information, and there are lots of ways to do it. I would try to get acquainted by trying a site such as:

http://tweakheadz.com/guide-to-home-and-project-music-studios/

#2165414 - 10/12/13 08:20 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here 'ya go Mr. Pete:
laugh

#2165529 - 10/13/13 04:49 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: Scott Hamlin]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I do like the look o` that! It`d prob be more awkward then a software multi. . . .

""

#2165530 - 10/13/13 04:59 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
de cajon Online   content

Loc: London, UK
Ah, that takes me back. After stuggling with sound-on-sound using an old Akai reel-to-reel, my first proper multitrack was a cassette Tascam. Then I went to a Fostex 8-track, and then to software with Cakewalk, which became Sonar, and alongside which I am now slowly learning to use Reaper.

(There was a documentary a while back on Les Paul. Wow! He made homebrew sound-on-sound actually work. Something I could never do.)

#2165568 - 10/13/13 08:34 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think the simplest way to go is to record into Audacity. You'd be doing audio recording, not MIDI, but you can record as many different tracks as you want, and there are ways to adjust for latency if that's an issue. Plus, it's free smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2165587 - 10/13/13 09:35 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: Morodiene]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That does sound like the easiest option for me.
I did it for two tracks.
Now I`ll do it for three!

""

#2165606 - 10/13/13 10:19 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]

Easy ... pah!

Come on, there's a 60 day trial period for Reaper; after which it's peanuts to buy if you like it. Then you can capture and fully edit MIDI sequence tracks as well as audio. Not enough reverb? Too much reverb? Want a little phasing for your string section? Easy.

What have you got to lose? Dip that toe in that water!

#2166138 - 10/14/13 02:45 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: de cajon]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Iwas looking at a Youtube reaper demo. The guy was adept, but it`s still very messy compared to onboard. On my 5 tracker I can mute tracks or play them, record alongside `em, but I have to preset the vol of each track, no big deal.

All I really want are 16 tracks. So it`s an old Yammie or a new Casio . . .on this occasion, maybe the older canditate is the more able.

But nor so available . . .

""

#2166164 - 10/14/13 03:35 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Since the demo is completely functional and free - and very small in terms of bytes, compared to samplers etc, why not experiment with Reaper? As with any of these daw programs, you've got full muting/ solo facilities with very flexible options for un-muting in blocs, etc etc. Sky's the limit - or you can potter around with just a handful of midi tracks.

#2166555 - 10/15/13 08:51 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: de cajon]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted By: de cajon
Easy ... pah!

Come on, there's a 60 day trial period for Reaper; after which it's peanuts to buy if you like it. Then you can capture and fully edit MIDI sequence tracks as well as audio. Not enough reverb? Too much reverb? Want a little phasing for your string section? Easy.

What have you got to lose? Dip that toe in that water!

I think you might be overselling the "simplicity" of Reaper to someone who is a novice with DAW's. There is a learning curve with all of them- and Reaper is no small simple program. and i don't think peterws wants to become a techie.

its a great program and its pricing structure is very amateur friendly, but it still takes a lot of time and study to use it properly. A worthwhile endeavor for those oriented that way, but a distraction for people just wanting to create some amateur recordings.

peter- i have cubase and understand it well enough but i find for just recording piano stuff and maybe overdubbing a couple extra tracks for strings or guitar etc my little Tascam dp-008 works fine and is really easier to use. To me, there is something about an actual piece of hardware with buttons and dials that is easier to work with than a mouse and a computer screen. But it depends on whether you are wanting to invest a lot of time understanding software DAW's in order to produce more professional and sophisticated recordings, or if you just want to record for fun and your enjoyment.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2166612 - 10/15/13 10:41 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: bfb]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: bfb

I think you might be overselling the "simplicity" of Reaper to someone who is a novice with DAW's. There is a learning curve with all of them- and Reaper is no small simple program. and i don't think peterws wants to become a techie.

This is true, but to a great extent DAWs such as Reaper are only as easy or complex as you need them to be. Though digging into the advanced features does involve engaging in a significant learning curve, to make a simple project template that has, say, 8 tracks routing audio/MIDI isn't difficult to learn or apply, and I'm sure many people either here or at the Reaper forums would be happy to help the OP set it up. Plus, the Tascam dp-008 is 4-5 times the price, whereas anyone can try Reaper for 60 days absolutely free. If it doesn't work out, one can always try a hardware solution then.

#2166621 - 10/15/13 11:00 AM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: Psychonaut]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In many ways you`re right; when I first got me `puter, it nearly went through the window 3 times. And I was terrified of computer music . . . gotta decide how far to take this! The CVP range seems easy to operate and at a decent level; if I sawed 6 inches off the back of it, it`d be a good fit and a whole less ugly . . .

I`m doin` this purely for fun. But it is getting a tad serious beyond 5 tracks, it seems. . . .Now Yamaha do the CLP150 which is neat and orangey. And has 16 tracks for recording. Fine. But you have to press so many keys and buttons to achieve this . . Don`t want that. I have too many other things to do, even on the oiano!

Thanks for your trouble, guys!

Edited by peterws (10/15/13 11:09 AM)

""

#2166645 - 10/15/13 12:10 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]

I do know what you mean. And I sympathize. I'm currently trying to drum up the will power to choose and learn a replacement live VST host, as mentioned elsewhere hereabouts. The "wow that'll be exciting" of forty years ago has been worn down to "[sigh], do I really need this?"

#2166663 - 10/15/13 12:58 PM Re: Multitrack recordings . . [Re: peterws]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I use an iPad and an audio interface the Roland Duo capture. Using garage band on the iPad is a whole lot easier that my using my Roland BOSS BR-800! Plus I can import the tracks directly to my computer for more work if needed or just export them directly to sound cloud from the device.

Way simpler than any digital multi-track I have used to date. And I've had a few of them.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
70 registered (bennevis, Al LaPorte, Allard, barbaram, Alux, 14 invisible), 1118 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318700 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission