Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2165308 - 10/12/13 02:52 PM Yamaha CLP 430 or Kawai CN34
pianomom5 Offline

I am going between two stores right now and need to know asap which one is better??? Best action is the top priority and I am not a piano player. This is for my children who hqve been playing about 4 years. Thanks in advance!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2165341 - 10/12/13 04:19 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 430 or Kawai CN34 [Re: pianomom5]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
There's no consensus on which is better. They have two different actions, both very good. Some people prefer one and some the other. You will have to give them both a try and decide which one you prefer (also report your impressions back to us when you can).

I'm not even sure I could tell you which I would get if I those were my two options and there was no cost difference. I guess if you put a gun to my head, the Kawai. I'm partial to some characteristics of their action(s).

Edited by gvfarns (10/12/13 04:23 PM)

#2165382 - 10/12/13 06:25 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 430 or Kawai CN34 [Re: pianomom5]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
If you can somehow make it possible, go for the CPL 440 instead of the 430, the extra money will really be worth the difference!! I first was between the CPL 430 and a Roland HP 503, and my winner was Roland, just based on sound taste, nothing about special features or key advantages. Then I got hands on the 440 and have had to rethink my decision seriously. The 440 felt really mature in comparion to the 430. Well I finally went even with a HP-505, but still remember about the 440 being so much better than the 430, that I will always post this recommendation in a thread like this.
Wish you all the best!
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2167910 - 10/17/13 11:32 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 430 or Kawai CN34 [Re: pianomom5]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
I concur. For an extra $500-700, you can get the CLP440. The extra sound engine features and physical amp/speaker setup, it is well worth the money.

#2167911 - 10/17/13 11:34 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 430 or Kawai CN34 [Re: pianomom5]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Marco: Don't the CLP430 and CLP440 have the same keyboard? If so, in what way did they feel different.

#2167993 - 10/18/13 05:58 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 430 or Kawai CN34 [Re: pianomom5]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
I didn´t look up any specifications an the Yamaha site. I remember clearly, that the CLP430 to me felt a kind of whobbly, less precise in its direction of how keys went down and up, giving me the feeling as if they would have too much clearance to slightly move also to the left and the right on their way, or coming up again at different speeds. All over it seemed to me (that time a newbie to the piano), that the keys are not the same in place under my fingers after having pressed them down before and thus I felt uncomfortable with them.

The HP503 felt much more precise, but somehow too light.
Then the CPL440 felt precise and mature to my fingers, I actually preffered its feeling not only over the 430 and HP503, but also over the nice HP505 and the heavier Kawai CA keys.

My decision for purchasing the HP505 instead of going with a CPL440 was because of ROLAND sound and responsiveness, which I prefer, not because of the keys. Kawai never convinced me, the sound is much too bright and brut for me, and the keys are quite heavy like on an acoustic upright but not at all easy going like on a grand. As in the DP forum there has been so much hype about the new CAs, I took the chance to once more testplay a CA65 thouroughly (unfortunately haven´t got access to a CA95 by now). I just can´t prais it like others do.

My DP dream choice would at the moment be a HP507 with the keybed replaced by the one of a CLP470. The CLP470 keys to me feel just to be the best of all keys around (don´t ask me how this could be based on technical differences between the keys of the 440 and 470 (according to the specs I think there should not be any differences); it is just my conviction after test playing and comparing many models for many hours side by side), and the 507 just sounds and responds best to _my_ ears. But the price for the 470 and the 507 are so high, that I usually recommend to gor for a CLP440 or HP505, because of price/quality relationship, and the feasability of these models to serve for many years as a long term acceptable DP in house. I am very happy with my HP505. It has some sad drawbacks which I commented about in the past, especially the bad metronome implementation, but pianowise I progress very well on it with my playing, much enjoy to touch it, and still after 15 month am amazed about its singing, warm sound filling our living room.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 88 Fingers Jeff, 36251, 52 invisible), 1723 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155774 Topics
2287228 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
Interested in an Exam Program; Which One Best in Eastern US?
by ClsscLib
07/10/14 10:40 AM
Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ?
by Abby Pianoman
07/10/14 10:02 AM
Lauberger & Gloss
by David, Las Vegas
07/10/14 09:40 AM
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission