Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2165643 - 10/13/13 12:28 PM Is Music the Key to Success?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2165656 - 10/13/13 01:04 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: BDB]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
I read that too, and as a musician, I'm inclined to to think "well of course music is the key to success. duh!"

But, thinking about it more critically, they forgot to discuss the possibility that people who are more likely to succeed might be more likely to play an instrument, or that the qualities needed to be successful just happen to be the same qualities needed to be a consistent hobby-musician....

So although I found the article compelling, it seems they've forgotten the most elementary lesson of analysis: don't confuse correlation with causation.

Edited by ShiroKuro (10/13/13 01:54 PM)
Edit Reason: can't type

#2165670 - 10/13/13 01:27 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: BDB]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
perfect, ShiroKuro :thumbsup:

my piano haiku

#2165690 - 10/13/13 03:00 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: BDB]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
One point the author makes well is that music can demonstrate to the young better than most other courses of study the linkage between disciplined, focused study and success. Realizing that, some music students then are better able to transfer that lesson to other endeavors.

It may not work that way for everyone, but it certainly did for me.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2165740 - 10/13/13 05:20 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: ClsscLib]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
One point the author makes well is that music can demonstrate to the young better than most other courses of study the linkage between disciplined, focused study and success. Realizing that, some music students then are better able to transfer that lesson to other endeavors.

This is one of the things I'm most curious about, in a "chicken or egg" sort of a way.

Long before I decided to start learning how to play the piano, I had practiced a martial art (Aikido if anyone's curious) for probably more than 10 years and ultimately received a 2nd degree blackbelt (before giving up that practice so I could get more time at the piano!)

The discipline, patience, willingness to make mistakes and keep trying, and just overall strength of spirit I learned through Aikido transferred to many other endeavors, including piano. And then I would also say things I've learned through piano, moreso than through Aikido, have proved immensely valuable for me in my current pursuit, which is completing a Ph.D (not in a music-related field). Esp because, although I've always had a piano teacher, success at the piano requires the ability to work/practice alone (as does academic research).

Was something I learned through my pianistic pursuit, that has helped me in my academic pursuit, a thing I couldn't have learned through Aikido? Or would I have had similar successes if the order of these pursuits were flipped around? Or are my successes in Aikido, piano, and now graduate school, all due to something I brought with me that predisposed me to succeed in these pursuits from the beginning?

It seems most likely that a combination of factors contribute to success, and I certainly don't want to diminish the intrinsic value of pursuing a musical instrument. So I'll stop here since ultimately this line of thinking will probably direct back to the talent/effort questions that come up on PW periodically (i.e., is it talent that creates a successful pianist, X number of hours at the keyboard that bring about pianisitic success, or is it a talent for practice that makes it possible to put in all those practice hours?)

Edited by ShiroKuro (10/13/13 05:22 PM)
Edit Reason: still can't type

#2165745 - 10/13/13 05:28 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
I read that too, and as a musician, I'm inclined to to think "well of course music is the key to success. duh!"

But, thinking about it more critically, they forgot to discuss the possibility that people who are more likely to succeed might be more likely to play an instrument, or that the qualities needed to be successful just happen to be the same qualities needed to be a consistent hobby-musician....

So although I found the article compelling, it seems they've forgotten the most elementary lesson of analysis: don't confuse correlation with causation.

Well said. It is chicken/egg in the long run. Music encourages disciplined thinking, independent study, many other things, but there are other things that do the same thing.

That said, I work with some kids who are only average or a bit better than that whole work goes way up because of what they learn through music. It teaches important skills.

#2165810 - 10/13/13 09:36 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: BDB]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Not sure if anyone caught this article I posted a couple of days ago. The studies here are looking at the chicken/egg question.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/10/using-music-to-close-the-academic-gap/280362/
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2165824 - 10/13/13 10:55 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: BDB]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ooh, I'd missed that, thanks for re-posting it. I'll read it tomorrow (gonna go practice now smile

#2165839 - 10/14/13 12:08 AM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
it seems they've forgotten the most elementary lesson of analysis: don't confuse correlation with causation.

I couldn't agree more. I'd bet most, if not all, of the names mentioned also had two parents highly invested in their upbringing and education as children, but of course that couldn't possibly be a better indicator for success.

#2165955 - 10/14/13 09:13 AM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: Bobpickle]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
it seems they've forgotten the most elementary lesson of analysis: don't confuse correlation with causation.

I couldn't agree more. I'd bet most, if not all, of the names mentioned also had two parents highly invested in their upbringing and education as children, but of course that couldn't possibly be a better indicator for success.

And then there are people like me, who grew up in relative poverty with both parents struggling to do multiple jobs just to support the family, and with little (if any) parental time or energy left over to be "highly invested in {the kids'} upbringing and education."

I had the misfortune to be naturally fairly bright, which meant that I could more than keep up in school, in early grades, without studying or working hard. So I learned nothing about studying or self-disciplined pursuit of difficult endeavors.

That flaw started to catch up with me in early high school. Then I took up music, saw the direct correlation between hard work and advancement, and began to apply the same lessons to my other studies. I know others who benefited from music in the same way.

Is music study THE key to success? Of course not.

But diligence and self-disciplined application to hard tasks ARE the key to success. Many kids who don't learn that elsewhere (e.g., from rich parents with time on their hands, equestrian classes, boarding schools in Switzerland, etc.) learn it in music.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2166312 - 10/14/13 09:04 PM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: BDB]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Point taken.

#2166448 - 10/15/13 02:00 AM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: ClsscLib]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

I had the misfortune to be naturally fairly bright, which meant that I could more than keep up in school, in early grades, without studying or working hard. So I learned nothing about studying or self-disciplined pursuit of difficult endeavors.

That would have been my story without music. Music was the only area I mastered, and it was not until later in life that I learned how to apply the lessons I learned in music to everything else.
Quote:

But diligence and self-disciplined application to hard tasks ARE the key to success. Many kids who don't learn that elsewhere (e.g., from rich parents with time on their hands, equestrian classes, boarding schools in Switzerland, etc.) learn it in music.

I could not agree more. thumb

#2166527 - 10/15/13 07:25 AM Re: Is Music the Key to Success? [Re: BDB]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Something I've observed in successful people is not only do they have discipline, but they also are creative problem-solvers. I think that neglecting right-brained activities in school education is a huge mistake because of this. Most people who study music don't grow up to be professional musicians, but they exercise that creativity. I see a lot of one-dimensional students these days, and luckily they are studying music.

So, true, correlation may not imply causation here, but I think there still may be a link.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (Allard, AZNpiano, AZ_Astro, 21 invisible), 1061 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157227 Topics
2309238 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
52 minutes 31 seconds ago
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission