2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
No, it doesn't KS.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I think a lot depends on:
what other teachers are doing in your area,
how much risk you're willing to take,
whether you're married to an income-generating spouse,
the sort of clients you want, as has been mentioned,
how capable you are of working harder or in a different field altogether,
your philosophies about music lessons, and
your own social set.

For instance, I've noticed that some teachers have a full studio all the time because they're French-speaking or belong to a particular religion or ethnic group. Or perhaps, they were willed a house in a rich neighborhood, and so have no trouble attracting wealthy students.

For me, I'm not too good at other jobs, so I'm afraid to set my rate much higher. But some people can work a full time job and start accumulating students at a high tuition rate.

As for music philosophies, if you're willing to teach more pop music, you will have less trouble raising your rates.

But in response to the inflation rate, I'm hard-pressed to concern myself greatly with this. I find people in general spend money on a lot of things they could forgo if they really valued piano lessons. The issue really is what people value. It's a wonder that any vehicle gets sold at full prices such as $23,000. If most places were in rough shape, you'd see most people buying up all the used cars and taking the bus when these became unavailable. But car dealerships survive and there are hundreds of used automobiles for sale.

As for food, tons of people buy potato chips, pop, and other processed foods, whereas you'd think only rich people could afford these. Who can really afford more than 50 cents for a cup of coffee? Almost everybody it seems. Doesn't anybody carry a thermos anymore and prepare it at home?

Nobody puts a patch on a pair of pants, and none of my students have socks with evidence of darning.

So, let more money flow to piano teachers, I say.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
I'm thinking the teacher would figure a combination of their theory test score and performance rating, taking into consideration their age and level. You know which students work really hard and which ones just squeak by.

I'm not sure I would want to go down that path, as it will definitely open a whole new can of worms. Literally and figuratively. I live in an area where parents of CM students do talk to each other and make all sorts of ill-advised comparisons. And there are already tons of myths being spewed around. I almost feel like a myth-buster trying to dispel all the lies and half-truths that are being tossed around as facts.

Each teacher is free to make whatever he/she wants out of the exam results. I tend not to put too much emphasis on the exam results.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Candywoman
As for music philosophies, if you're willing to teach more pop music, you will have less trouble raising your rates.

Really?! Can you let me know more about this? All of my "pop music" students did not last very long, and they tend to quit lessons when the going gets tough.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by keystring
Naming 5 students who get the highest numbers on a test "good students" and giving their parents a discount does not address the problem of people being less able to afford lessons because of the economy.

Exactly...

D
D
Originally Posted by DinaP
I'm a student -- but I just want folks to be aware of the inflation situation and I'm glad you brought this up. For those who don't know -- the reason our Government claims inflation is practically non-existent is because they conveniently changed the way it's calculated. They have removed items like food and energy costs (gasoline, oil, electricity, etc.) from the items used to determine the rate of inflation

FYI this has floating around for a while but it is not accurate: check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics 'Misconceptions FAQ'

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Darsho
Originally Posted by DinaP
I'm a student -- but I just want folks to be aware of the inflation situation and I'm glad you brought this up. For those who don't know -- the reason our Government claims inflation is practically non-existent is because they conveniently changed the way it's calculated. They have removed items like food and energy costs (gasoline, oil, electricity, etc.) from the items used to determine the rate of inflation

FYI this has floating around for a while but it is not accurate: check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics 'Misconceptions FAQ'

I've lived long enough to learn that anything published by the government needs careful examination. The fact is that in 1999, gas was under $1/gal. Now it's over $3.50/gal. That's 8.7% inflation a year. I could fill my food cart at the grocery store for well under $100, now it's over $200. That's 4.7% per year. My utilities have doubled, even if my house hasn't but I'm not buying a new house every year. The bottom line is that the things I and my family need for day to day living have gone up far more than the government's rosy reports.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
AZN: That used to be the case for me, too. But for some reason, I have retained a number of students who really like pop music. Of course, they can't play much pop for about one to two years at the beginning, save for Flintstones, Star Wars etc. But after a few years, there are good arrangements of pop tunes.

There is no trick, but it helps me to act upon their requests (in simple versions). It also helps to supplement with pieces with a specific purpose. I introduce these pieces by stating the exact skill they will learn. For instance, I say, one day, when you drive a car, you need to know how to change the radio dial at the same time. This piece has both hands doing very different things. One hand lifts, the other plays legato.

I think you also have to be a bit of a maverick yourself. Few of my piano teachers would have convinced me they could teach pop. They were died-in-the-wool classical musicians.

What I would really like to be able to do is teach the piano part to pop music as it is in the original recording, and get a small band of kids together to back up my student. When I was growing up, I really wanted to be in a band. I think children really think it's hard to play in a band, but it's not really. Most of those guys couldn't pass a grade six exam. It's just difficult for teachers to organize.

At first, it was hard for me to teach pop. But if you look at the reality of my students lives, in which classical music plays a small role indeed, it seems to make sense to reach them where they're at.

Last edited by Candywoman; 09/25/13 05:03 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
(I think my teacher undercharges.)

Learner
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Candywoman
AZN: That used to be the case for me, too. But for some reason, I have retained a number of students who really like pop music. Of course, they can't play much pop for about one to two years at the beginning, save for Flintstones, Star Wars etc. But after a few years, there are good arrangements of pop tunes.

There is no trick, but it helps me to act upon their requests (in simple versions). It also helps to supplement with pieces with a specific purpose. I introduce these pieces by stating the exact skill they will learn. For instance, I say, one day, when you drive a car, you need to know how to change the radio dial at the same time. This piece has both hands doing very different things. One hand lifts, the other plays legato.

I think you also have to be a bit of a maverick yourself. Few of my piano teachers would have convinced me they could teach pop. They were died-in-the-wool classical musicians.

What I would really like to be able to do is teach the piano part to pop music as it is in the original recording, and get a small band of kids together to back up my student. When I was growing up, I really wanted to be in a band. I think children really think it's hard to play in a band, but it's not really. Most of those guys couldn't pass a grade six exam. It's just difficult for teachers to organize.

At first, it was hard for me to teach pop. But if you look at the reality of my students lives, in which classical music plays a small role indeed, it seems to make sense to reach them where they're at.

Our local MTAC branch puts on an annual jazz and pop music festival. It has the largest enrollment of all of our festivals (Baroque, Romantic, Classical era are the others). There's definitely an interest in pop music among students.

candywoman, 3 of my students wanted to perform an Owl City/Carly Rae piece last year as an ensemble. I bought 3 portable keyboards, lent them to the students (with 2 kids actually deciding to buy the keyboards from me), and we all worked together to arrange the piece. It was a great learning experience for them (they were 8th graders at the time). We made use of the 'style beats' on the keyboard, they had to divide the parts between them, figure out which voices would complement each other, etc.... The song was a hit and they won a trophy for their performance.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
D
D
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

I've lived long enough to learn that anything published by the government needs careful examination.

Luckily the BLS info on the Consumer Price Index is publicly available online. If you find any errors let us know. cool

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Luckily the BLS info on the Consumer Price Index is publicly available online. If you find any errors let us know.

It's not the numbers which have errors, but the assumptions. As the old saw goes: Statistics never lie but liars use statistics.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
More on pop music:

I also think kids have a great need to fit in. When they're at school chatting with friends, which gets them more social points, being able to play Skyfall in an easy version or playing Sonatina in F from the anthology that nobody knows about?

When I was a kid, I'd buy Sheet Music Magazine from New Jersey, which carried some well-known tunes. Did any of you do this too? It made me feel special receiving the magazine every two months. It helped me form a musician's identity. I really think this is important for children who are just discovering who they are. They have many activities, so the question for them becomes "What makes me unique?"

With pop music, you can also encourage students to go to any music store and/or download pieces that appeal to them, putting them in the driver's seat. After all, they will one day leave the nest (piano teacher's studio) and need to decide about music's role in their life.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
It was a sad day when they went under. I always enjoyed receiving it as well.

J
J
One of my students brought me stacks of Sheet Music Magazine left by their grandparents. What a treat! I had never seen it and this is the first time I've heard it mentioned by other teachers. They not only have great music, but interesting articles describing that genre of music making, and additional technical hints and tips that I always found valuable. I had been thinking to subscribe on my own and I'm so disappointed to learn they are no longer available. We can hope that perhaps someone else will offer something similar.

Last edited by Joyce_dup1; 09/29/13 04:48 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Luckily the BLS info on the Consumer Price Index is publicly available online. If you find any errors let us know.

It's not the numbers which have errors, but the assumptions. As the old saw goes: Statistics never lie but liars use statistics.

Such as? smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission