Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2165692 - 10/13/13 03:02 PM Need advise!
djaytg Offline

Hi, i need guidance to learn piano. I can play with my right hand easily and i can also play by ear(expect for the chords). My goal is to play smoothly by both hands and to play by reading sheet music. Any suggestions is welcomed.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2165713 - 10/13/13 03:53 PM Re: Need advise! [Re: djaytg]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I bet if you started in on the Alfred's All-in-One method (there's a giant thread about using this method right here in this forum), you could cruise right up to where people often hit the wall, at Blow the Man Down. That's where you really start working with busy but independent hands.

The previous pages are still worth doing though, as there is an introduction to chording, starting with the most common ones to hear and use, which can help you recognize the common chords when playing by ear.

But what I wish I had know when I first started learning from Alfred years ago (I've come back to it now for different reasons, but that's a different story). Instead of blowing through the "chord banging" section of the book as quickly as possible, there's actually something very important to learn there.

Personally, back then I thought easy the chord-banging tunes at the beginning sounded awful... Which they did! Doh! ... because i was banging out the chords with my left hand, which totally overwhelms the melody and sounds quite crude.

So my advice to the wise beginner there is to use the first half of the book as an opportunity to tame the thumpy un-coordination of a right-handed person's left hand.

Edited by tangleweeds (10/13/13 03:55 PM)

neglected piano blog

#2165716 - 10/13/13 03:59 PM Re: Need advise! [Re: djaytg]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
The first Bartok Mikrokosmos book is a lovely introduction to hand independence. No chords, just parallel melody lines starting out in pure parallel motion, moving into simple hand shifts, contrary motion, contrary motion with shifts, displaced beats etc. Not only does it get both hands moving, it keeps you reading on two lines as well.

Kurt

#2165751 - 10/13/13 05:45 PM Re: Need advise! [Re: djaytg]
Rerun Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: djaytg
Hi, i need guidance to learn piano. I can play with my right hand easily and i can also play by ear(expect for the chords). My goal is to play smoothly by both hands and to play by reading sheet music. Any suggestions is welcomed.

Hey Djay, let me ask you something ... can you play the melody by ear to "Silent Night" in the key of C, and do you know the words to the first verse?

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2165883 - 10/14/13 02:45 AM Re: Need advise! [Re: djaytg]
djaytg Offline

@tangleweeds i have started with Alfred's Adult Piano Course Level one. The problem that I'm facing is after a couple of tries on a song, i can play the song without reading the sheet music(expect for the LH). Is this normal? should i complete any basic sight reading books before jumping into Alfred's course?

@KurtZ i will be sure to look into Bartok Mikrokosmos book 1.

@Rerun yes i can play the melody by ear to "Silent Night" in the key of C, but i don't know the words to the first verse.

#2165930 - 10/14/13 07:02 AM Re: Need advise! [Re: djaytg]
Rerun Online   content
500 Post Club Member

@Rerun yes i can play the melody by ear to "Silent Night" in the key of C, but i don't know the words to the first verse.

Ok, you mentioned having trouble with the chords in the left hand ... you know the tune begins with the C chord because you are playing in that key, but for purposes of our communicating, if you can find a copy of the lyrics, what three letter word does the tune change to the next chord in "Silent Night" and what chord does it move to?

Just use block chords with the left hand like C E G notes. Next, what is the same 3 letter word where it changes chords again, and what chord is that one.

Hey djay, I'm just trying to get you halfway up the hump with hearing/learning the chords, then you can take it to some other tunes. You can do this.

http://www.pianomagic.com/index.asp

#2166608 - 10/15/13 10:35 AM Re: Need advise! [Re: Rerun]
djaytg Offline

Hey Rerun, i have no experience in chords whatsoever. As i've just started with Alfred's book 1, i know 2 chords so far (c major and G7). I have no problem in finding any key by hearing but when there are 2 or more keys are played at the same time, i find it difficult. Can you a solution where i can overcome this situation?

#2166635 - 10/15/13 11:40 AM Re: Need advise! [Re: djaytg]
Rerun Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Hey Rerun, i have no experience in chords whatsoever. As i've just started with Alfred's book 1, i know 2 chords so far (c major and G7). I have no problem in finding any key by hearing but when there are 2 or more keys are played at the same time, i find it difficult. Can you a solution where i can overcome this situation?

Perfect, if you know those two chords C and G7, that will get you thru:

"Silent Night, Holy Night, all is calm, all is bright" ...

To make it a little easier at the start play a C chord (C-E-G) just slowly tapping it out with your left hand fingers and listen to it with your ears getting the sound of a C chord memorized in your ear.

Next, tap out a G chord without the 7th (G-B-D) and listen to it and get that sound in your ear.

Now hum or play the melody with the right hand (using one finger will work good enough for now). Now, let your ears tell you when the chord changes from a C chord to a G chord and then a G chord back to a C chord ... on which two 3 letter word of the lyrics do the chords change?.

When you've solved that, play an F chord (F-A-C) and get the sound of that chord in your ear, in fact, play a C chord, then an F chord, then a G chord ... are your ears hearing anything special about those three chords?

#2166671 - 10/15/13 01:42 PM Re: Need advise! [Re: djaytg]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

Is there some reason you are not getting a teacher ?

That would be my suggestion, and hopefully .... before you accumulate too many bad habits which will make things more difficult for you.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, Alux, AmateurBob, 39 invisible), 1538 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252933 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission