2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
HuKi Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi, there

Now I'm looking for my first digital piano.
Then I have 2 choices in my budget.
Its yamaha YDP142 and kawai KDP90.

Which one is better on Action weight and Sound quality ?
- Kawai's AHA IV-F action vs. Yamaha' GHS action.
- Kawai's HI sound vs. Yamaha's Pure CF Sound.
- Sound sampling on both is full 88 keys sampling ?

Please recommend for my decision.
Thank you

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Well, that's a tough call. They are both sort of entry level console pianos, so they are going to be comparable in the sense that some people will prefer one and some will prefer the other.

Usually AHA-IV is compared with Yamaha's more expensive GH action. The GH action is noticeably heavier than GHS. I've never been able to compare them side by side but I would assume that AHA would be heavier than GHS. You may like one better than the other. It seems like many people prefer AHA.

Personally, especially if we are looking at the entry-level models, I tend to prefer Yamaha's tone engine, but you may not. My piano has the older HI (the non 88-key sampled version) and I like similar level Yamaha sounds better.

The Kawai is 88-key sampled but the Yamaha is not. Yamaha will use a sample for every three keys or so, I'd say. I've never personally found this effect troubling or noticeable but there are others in the forum who feel differently.

If I had to pick one I'd go with the Kawai. I don't care much for GHS.

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/13/13 12:52 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
HuKi, I would recommend playing both instruments for yourself, rather than relying solely on the opinions of others.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
HuKi Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks, gvfarns & Kawai James

more questions , which one is better?

1. Speaker & Amplifier
- kawai kdp90 has circle speaker size 12cm , Output power 13W on each, Power Consumption 15W
- yamaha ydp142 has oval speaker size 12cm x 6cm , Amplifier 6W on each, Power Consumption 9W

------------------
@James : I like kawai sound more than yamaha, but with my budget , I can't get CN24. Then I looking for lower price so I found KDP90 & YDP142

@gvfarns : You are first person who tell me "AHA is heavier than GHS" , Others as piano seller they told me "GHS is havier" , I have no experience on piano. And i have play on both , but i can't tell which one is heavier. So i have to ask some one who has experience on piano. to tell me which one is heavier & durable for long time.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
HuKi,not sure if this helps or only complicates things even more.

I have a Kawai CL25, which uses the AHA-E action, against the KPD wich uses AHA.F. I have recently had the chance to try some new Kawai pianos with the RHA action and ivory feel keys. I have no doubt that they are far better than the AHA. When I tried new models from other brands and went back to my old CL25 I still preferred the AHA, but the RHA action is much better.

For that reason, if I were you and the CN24 is out of your budget I would be also considering the CL36, as it's slightly cheaper and better action than the KDP90. 15W each speaker, but less polyphony. It seems that it's got good reviews by users here.

For me the missing thing in the CL36 is a nicer cabinet with lid, but I'm still considering it as for me the most important is the key action and sound.

Of course, if you can it's always advisable to try the pianos yourself as even a better product on paper might be not for you once you try it.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by HuKi
@gvfarns : You are first person who tell me "AHA is heavier than GHS" , Others as piano seller they told me "GHS is havier" , I have no experience on piano. And i have play on both , but i can't tell which one is heavier. So i have to ask some one who has experience on piano. to tell me which one is heavier & durable for long time.

GHS is pretty light. The primary difference between GHS and GH is that GHS is lighter. Now, as I mentioned I haven't put GHS next to AHA IV and played it myself, so I can't say for sure. Also there are a couple of definitions of heavy (static weight: how many grams it takes to get it moving; dynamic weight: related to the overall mass and feel of accelerating it once it overcomes the initial friction and starts moving).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission