Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2165758 - 10/13/13 06:09 PM Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!?
WurliFan Offline

Loc: Western PA
I'm about to start 'fangirling' over here pretty soon, guys. grin
The King Himself.....And Johnny Cash........And Carl Perkins....And Jerry Lee Lewis.
All gathered around......A Wurlitzer Spinet. (Not sure of what Model, but I've seen that sheet music rack design before on a Wurlitzer.) Which, in turn, would mean that Sun Records had bought this Piano to use for their sessions....which would mean that this piano could most likely be heard on dozens of recordings made up until about 1957. Look.
http://sadmanstonguerockabillybar.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/million-dollar-quartet.jpg
And The Wurlitzer Spinet Sheet Music Rack: http://www.chicagopianos.com/11212010_update/Wurlitzer-577934.jpg
And, they released an entire Album....that Spinet's actually on that Album. I find that pretty amazing. Honestly....if it's good enough for the King, it's good enough for me. laugh Of course, there are pianos out there that sound better.....but when the King of Rock and Roll is playing the type of piano you have, That right there is pretty amazing. wink
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2165762 - 10/13/13 06:20 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Wurli - Get a grip!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2165772 - 10/13/13 06:56 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
WurliFan Offline

Buh....my Spinet's touch isn't that good....I don't think I can 'get a grip.' frown
All jokes aside, I might be over-reacting a little bit.......but hey, it's ELVIS.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2165777 - 10/13/13 07:25 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
bebopsam Offline

Spinets are amazing, upright pianos are amazing, and rock n' roll/blues is amazing. I saw that thread you linked before about ray charles playing a spinet on atlantic. Some of my absolute favorite records/dudes jammed these budget pianos! I got one myself a couple months ago, and have honestly fallen back in love with piano (always have to play digital pianos/keyboards for gigs...blegh!)

#2165796 - 10/13/13 08:33 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

wurlifan isn't this a spinet too? smile the King (thank you very mush)

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/36/49/d6/3649d62ad092625ab5fe0f70889a4ff1.jpg

#2165821 - 10/13/13 10:28 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I played an old Kohler & Campbell spinet at a nursing home this evening. It was wayyyy out of tune, but actually sounded and played pretty good. Thing is, those elderly residents actually think I can play pretty well; at least it put a smile on their face. smile

Rick

#2165932 - 10/14/13 07:33 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Rich Galassini Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Wurli,

That quartet pic. looks like a rehearsal/promo photo to me.

No offense, but I am finding it hard to believe that they didn't have a better piano to record with - again, no offense meant.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2165938 - 10/14/13 08:01 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Commonly known as the Million Dollar Quartet.

And yeah, that's probably the piano that was used.

Check out the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Quartet

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#2165942 - 10/14/13 08:10 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Jolly]
Rich Galassini Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Jolly
Commonly known as the Million Dollar Quartet.

And yeah, that's probably the piano that was used.

Check out the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Quartet

Well there you go. It looks like it could be the piano that was used.

Anyone know where we could find some of those recordings online?
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2166003 - 10/14/13 10:53 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Rich Galassini]
WurliFan Offline

Just hit 'play song.' http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Crazy+Arms/4Klw32?src=5 You can find a whole bunch of good music on there.
Such a Tinny Sound....yet so awesome at the same time.
And......pardon me, but why do you find it so Shocking that a Spinet was actually used? These instruments were in their prime back in the 50s. People didn't care about the tone, as long as they had a piano in the recording studio for people to work with, they were making money. No offense, but they weren't considered bad instruments back then.....they were considered professional studio worthy. crazy
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166004 - 10/14/13 10:55 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Jolly]
WurliFan Offline

Jolly, don't you have a Gulbransen Spinet? They made some good spinets. Very nice design from the ones I've seen. smile
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166005 - 10/14/13 10:56 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Bob Newbie]
WurliFan Offline

Ah haw haw haw, a yus sir, that's a Spinet. crazy Might be a console.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166006 - 10/14/13 10:58 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Rickster]
WurliFan Offline

I got the opportunity to play a Kohler and Campbell Grand. Very nice, 1940s american made piano. I played a Baldwin Spinet the other day with a good tone....but it was so out of tune that If I played an F in the left hand, it sounded like something completely different in the right.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166052 - 10/14/13 12:57 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
bkw58 Online   content

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
There's still a Wurlitzer spinet on a dolly at Sun Records Memphis minus the music rack. It's old enough to be the original. Only Sam knows for sure and he ain't talking. In the day, rock and roll musicians used whatever piano happened to be in the studio - and were often out of tune as many of the recordings reveal.

Piano Technicć Blog

#2166116 - 10/14/13 02:13 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Wurli,

I love your enthusiasm!

But, I just gotta ask - Do you know the difference between a spinet and a console?

#2166207 - 10/14/13 04:38 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
There were many independent studios sprang up in the '50's. I tuned the pianos of some of them that survived into the '60's. The pianos were always more of an afterthought, to put it nicely.

We must remember the sounds of those days. I just listened to some older country recordings. Some of them very well in tune and well voiced but still a small upright sound. They only used the treble half of the keyboard anyway.

Abbey Rd. still keeps the uprights used by the Beatles in the '60's. They are still used occasionally, even though there has always been an excellent Concert piano available in the same studio since it opened as an orchestral recording studio.
One upright was put in there originally a few years before by a well known singalong and ragtime pianist for her recordings. It was kept very bright and slightly out of tune for her. Although people ask to see this as the Beatles piano, it is still affectionately known to the staff as the "Mrs. Mills" piano.

There are still studios where the house piano is a small upright. They rent a fine concert piano only when required. Space is often a consideration.

Often recording engineers can make a piano sound better than it has any right to. But the old upright sound is still needed and valued.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2166281 - 10/14/13 07:33 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: rxd
There were many independent studios sprang up in the '50's. I tuned the pianos of some of them that survived into the '60's. The pianos were always more of an afterthought, to put it nicely.

We must remember the sounds of those days. I just listened to some older country recordings. Some of them very well in tune and well voiced but still a small upright sound. They only used the treble half of the keyboard anyway.

Abbey Rd. still keeps the uprights used by the Beatles in the '60's. They are still used occasionally, even though there has always been an excellent Concert piano available in the same studio since it opened as an orchestral recording studio.
One upright was put in there originally a few years before by a well known singalong and ragtime pianist for her recordings. It was kept very bright and slightly out of tune for her. Although people ask to see this Beatles piano, it is still affectionately known to the staff as the "Mrs. Mills" piano.

There are still studios where the house piano is a small upright. They rent a fine concert piano only when required. Space is often a consideration.

Often recording engineers can make a piano sound better than it has any right to. But the old upright sound is still needed and valued.

Interesting post…

Just goes to show that a fine concert grand ain’t the only game in town. smile

Rick

#2166288 - 10/14/13 07:52 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
bebopsam Offline

Concert grands sound too clean for rock and blues. They are far more at home in classical and jazz

#2166548 - 10/15/13 08:34 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the million dollar quartet..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPShCglZgM

#2166641 - 10/15/13 12:01 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Jolly Offline

Originally Posted By: WurliFan
Jolly, don't you have a Gulbransen Spinet? They made some good spinets. Very nice design from the ones I've seen. smile

No, I've got a big 'un. I need to measure it, but it's either a 52" or a 54".

Was a little concerned about it, as it's sitting in a big (20x30) room with a wood heater and we don't always turn the A/C on in that room, but my tech assured me the piano was rock solid and built for a day when homes did not have climate control...in fact, I think his actual words were something about the cracks in the walls of some of those old homes being big enough to throw a cat through...piano has done well...

#2166648 - 10/15/13 12:16 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Jolly Offline

And just a bit more background...one of the reasons for so many gospel songs is the background of the people singing. All of these guys would have cut their singing teeth on old time Southern Gospel.

Especially Elvis...IIRC, Memphis used to have big gospel shows every Friday night. After the show was over, the guys would continue to hang out and jam until the wee hours of the morning. Folks who were not in the show would drop by, to play and sing with the different performers...one of the regulars was a kid by the name of Elvis Presley.

Elvis was an extremely frustrated bass singer - he just didn't have the voice. Many people say that's why he hired Richard Sterben and J.D. Sumner, who were the best bass gospel singers of their generation.

#2166672 - 10/15/13 01:43 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
WurliFan Offline

Thanks! I'm pretty OCD over pianos....especially Spinets.......
Yep! It can sometimes be hard to tell. Usually Spinets are below 38 inches in height. I always look inside to see if it's a drop action or not. Then I know for sure if it's a Spinet.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166674 - 10/15/13 01:46 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Jolly]
WurliFan Offline

A Big 'un? wow I love the older Uprights. I played one at a Garage sale a little while ago.....A Henning Upright. Never heard of the name, but they were selling it for 25 dollars. And the price was for the bench. It still sounded good, just a little warped! And I'm not a Big Elvis fan m'self.....he's decent, I suppose. But he's still 'The King.' wink
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166710 - 10/15/13 03:45 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: WurliFan
And I'm not a Big Elvis fan m'self.....he's decent, I suppose. But he's still 'The King.' wink

No, that would be Conway Twitty.

#2166720 - 10/15/13 04:13 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Rickster Offline

Seems to me, in the world of “rock-stardom/pop-stardom/country-stardom”, you don’t have to be all that good musically, just likable. smile

I don't know that Johnny Cash ever sang a note that was not flat or sharp, but he had his own style, his own songs and his fans loved him! And, there were lots and lots of them; still are.

Rick

#2166724 - 10/15/13 04:33 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Rick,

It's well documented. Mr. Cash sang one note, precisely on pitch, on November 19, 1973 at a friend's home at exactly 9:36 p.m. June swooned. His guitar was out of tune, however.

Actually, I enjoy his work very much. There's something that draws you in to that thick gravelly voice.

#2166729 - 10/15/13 04:42 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Wurli,

You might like to check out some of the recordings from Cinnamonbear over in the Pianist Corner. He has a Lester 'Betsy Ross' spinet that he has sounding great. He's learning to tune and become a technician and he is mentored by Bill Bremmer. Bill is major league in the tuner/tech realm.

Andy (C-B) has done a great series of comedy productions played on "The Mighty Lester" as well as some classical performances. His stuff is worth checking out.

#2166732 - 10/15/13 04:46 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Plowboy]
WurliFan Offline

True, Conway was Indeed a far better singer. ....Great, now I'm gonna have "It's only Make Believe" stuck in my head again......... frown
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166734 - 10/15/13 04:46 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
WurliFan Offline

Thanks, Marty! Sounds cool; I'll take a lookie!
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166742 - 10/15/13 04:56 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Minnesota Marty Offline

And I'm stuck in "A Ring of Fire!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
105 registered (36251, AmateurBob, accordeur, Alux, 31 invisible), 1280 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250647 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission