2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I'm about to start 'fangirling' over here pretty soon, guys. grin
The King Himself.....And Johnny Cash........And Carl Perkins....And Jerry Lee Lewis.
All gathered around......A Wurlitzer Spinet. (Not sure of what Model, but I've seen that sheet music rack design before on a Wurlitzer.) Which, in turn, would mean that Sun Records had bought this Piano to use for their sessions....which would mean that this piano could most likely be heard on dozens of recordings made up until about 1957. Look.
http://sadmanstonguerockabillybar.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/million-dollar-quartet.jpg
And The Wurlitzer Spinet Sheet Music Rack: http://www.chicagopianos.com/11212010_update/Wurlitzer-577934.jpg
And, they released an entire Album....that Spinet's actually on that Album. I find that pretty amazing. Honestly....if it's good enough for the King, it's good enough for me. laugh Of course, there are pianos out there that sound better.....but when the King of Rock and Roll is playing the type of piano you have, That right there is pretty amazing. wink

1952 Wurlitzer 2150 Spinet...'The boogie-nator' laugh
Man, can it R-O-C-K! smile

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Wurli - Get a grip!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
OP Offline
Buh....my Spinet's touch isn't that good....I don't think I can 'get a grip.' frown
All jokes aside, I might be over-reacting a little bit.......but hey, it's ELVIS.

B
B
Spinets are amazing, upright pianos are amazing, and rock n' roll/blues is amazing. I saw that thread you linked before about ray charles playing a spinet on atlantic. Some of my absolute favorite records/dudes jammed these budget pianos! I got one myself a couple months ago, and have honestly fallen back in love with piano (always have to play digital pianos/keyboards for gigs...blegh!)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
wurlifan isn't this a spinet too? smile the King (thank you very mush)

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/36/49/d6/3649d62ad092625ab5fe0f70889a4ff1.jpg

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I played an old Kohler & Campbell spinet at a nursing home this evening. It was wayyyy out of tune, but actually sounded and played pretty good. Thing is, those elderly residents actually think I can play pretty well; at least it put a smile on their face. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Wurli,

That quartet pic. looks like a rehearsal/promo photo to me.

No offense, but I am finding it hard to believe that they didn't have a better piano to record with - again, no offense meant.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Commonly known as the Million Dollar Quartet.

And yeah, that's probably the piano that was used.

Check out the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Quartet

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jolly
Commonly known as the Million Dollar Quartet.

And yeah, that's probably the piano that was used.

Check out the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Quartet

Well there you go. It looks like it could be the piano that was used.

Anyone know where we could find some of those recordings online?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
OP Offline
Just hit 'play song.' http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Crazy+Arms/4Klw32?src=5 You can find a whole bunch of good music on there.
Such a Tinny Sound....yet so awesome at the same time.
And......pardon me, but why do you find it so Shocking that a Spinet was actually used? These instruments were in their prime back in the 50s. People didn't care about the tone, as long as they had a piano in the recording studio for people to work with, they were making money. No offense, but they weren't considered bad instruments back then.....they were considered professional studio worthy. crazy

OP Offline
Jolly, don't you have a Gulbransen Spinet? They made some good spinets. Very nice design from the ones I've seen. smile

OP Offline
Ah haw haw haw, a yus sir, that's a Spinet. crazy Might be a console.

OP Offline
I got the opportunity to play a Kohler and Campbell Grand. Very nice, 1940s american made piano. I played a Baldwin Spinet the other day with a good tone....but it was so out of tune that If I played an F in the left hand, it sounded like something completely different in the right.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
There's still a Wurlitzer spinet on a dolly at Sun Records Memphis minus the music rack. It's old enough to be the original. Only Sam knows for sure and he ain't talking. In the day, rock and roll musicians used whatever piano happened to be in the studio - and were often out of tune as many of the recordings reveal.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Wurli,

I love your enthusiasm!

But, I just gotta ask - Do you know the difference between a spinet and a console?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
There were many independent studios sprang up in the '50's. I tuned the pianos of some of them that survived into the '60's. The pianos were always more of an afterthought, to put it nicely.

We must remember the sounds of those days. I just listened to some older country recordings. Some of them very well in tune and well voiced but still a small upright sound. They only used the treble half of the keyboard anyway.

Abbey Rd. still keeps the uprights used by the Beatles in the '60's. They are still used occasionally, even though there has always been an excellent Concert piano available in the same studio since it opened as an orchestral recording studio.
One upright was put in there originally a few years before by a well known singalong and ragtime pianist for her recordings. It was kept very bright and slightly out of tune for her. Although people ask to see this as the Beatles piano, it is still affectionately known to the staff as the "Mrs. Mills" piano.

There are still studios where the house piano is a small upright. They rent a fine concert piano only when required. Space is often a consideration.

Often recording engineers can make a piano sound better than it has any right to. But the old upright sound is still needed and valued.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Originally Posted by rxd
There were many independent studios sprang up in the '50's. I tuned the pianos of some of them that survived into the '60's. The pianos were always more of an afterthought, to put it nicely.

We must remember the sounds of those days. I just listened to some older country recordings. Some of them very well in tune and well voiced but still a small upright sound. They only used the treble half of the keyboard anyway.

Abbey Rd. still keeps the uprights used by the Beatles in the '60's. They are still used occasionally, even though there has always been an excellent Concert piano available in the same studio since it opened as an orchestral recording studio.
One upright was put in there originally a few years before by a well known singalong and ragtime pianist for her recordings. It was kept very bright and slightly out of tune for her. Although people ask to see this Beatles piano, it is still affectionately known to the staff as the "Mrs. Mills" piano.

There are still studios where the house piano is a small upright. They rent a fine concert piano only when required. Space is often a consideration.

Often recording engineers can make a piano sound better than it has any right to. But the old upright sound is still needed and valued.

Interesting post…

Just goes to show that a fine concert grand ain’t the only game in town. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
B
Concert grands sound too clean for rock and blues. They are far more at home in classical and jazz

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
the million dollar quartet..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPShCglZgM

Originally Posted by WurliFan
Jolly, don't you have a Gulbransen Spinet? They made some good spinets. Very nice design from the ones I've seen. smile

No, I've got a big 'un. I need to measure it, but it's either a 52" or a 54".

Was a little concerned about it, as it's sitting in a big (20x30) room with a wood heater and we don't always turn the A/C on in that room, but my tech assured me the piano was rock solid and built for a day when homes did not have climate control...in fact, I think his actual words were something about the cracks in the walls of some of those old homes being big enough to throw a cat through...piano has done well...

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission