Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2166042 - 10/14/13 12:31 PM Upright vs Grand?
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've never really played a grand I don't think. I own a digital and practice on an upright at lessons but my question is this. Is the feel or action very different between an upright and a grand or is it similar? Does it take more to press the keys down on a grand or is it easier?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2166050 - 10/14/13 12:56 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The action of an upright is always different than that of a grand. In an upright, the strings are vertical and the hammers have to hit the strings from a different position, like when you are knocking on a door. In a grand, the strings are horizontal and the hammers lie underneath the strings and move up (toward the ceiling) to strike from below.

The action in a grand is much more efficient and accurate (for more technical details, you may want to post on the Piano Forum). Also, you can have longer strings on the grand, and the longer, the better quality sound you get - all other things being equal (well-regulated, in good working order, etc.).

As far as which is easier to play, that depends entirely on the instrument. Some makers tend to have heavier actions while others are lighter. I've played on some uprights with heavy action and some with very light actions, same goes for grands.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2166057 - 10/14/13 01:04 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Grands feel different from uprights, generally speaking. But there's more variation between pianos of the same class than between pianos of different classes.

The average grand action feels a little heavier than the average upright action. It's easier to control your dynamics on a grand and you can play repeated notes faster.

#2166109 - 10/14/13 02:07 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
At a very high level, the grand piano action has many advantages over the upright, but for a beginner, the differences is a bit over blown on these forums. I find playing trills and mordents a bit more effort on an upright. The action is a little less responsive (comparing brand new to brand new). Otherwise, you should have no issues getting pretty far with your studies on an upright. A new upright is still far better than any digital including the most expensive stuff to a beginner.

#2166154 - 10/14/13 03:20 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just wanted to add I feel real let down lately that my playing is limited to my digital and that I am not learning on a real acoustic. I feel like it's taking away the value of it.

#2166167 - 10/14/13 03:51 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Don't be. You can be very productive practicing on a digital even though they all sound very fake. A lot of progress could be made on a digital. If it is a digital or nothing at all, it is still possible to make a lot of progress on a digital.
To re-enforce proper technique, you need to practice at the digital as if it was an acoustic piano. It's helpful to have someone show you exactly how to practice, the techniques required to make different kinds of sounds, and if possible play at least once or twice a week on a real piano, like lessons.

Just because you have an acoustic doesn't automatically translate into better skills. My teacher has many students learning on a Yamaha P85. You would be surprised how much could be done with that lowly device given proper instruction and weekly re-enforced on a teacher's grand piano. Ideally you should have a good practice piano and a good teacher, but if you could only have one or the other, I'd choose the teacher over the acoustic. Obviously, this is addressing the learning aspect, not the enjoyment and inspirational aspect of piano.

#2166169 - 10/14/13 03:57 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: 4evrBeginR]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
Don't be. You can be very productive practicing on a digital even though they all sound very fake. A lot of progress could be made on a digital. If it is a digital or nothing at all, it is still possible to make a lot of progress on a digital.
To re-enforce proper technique, you need to practice at the digital as if it was an acoustic piano. It's helpful to have someone show you exactly how to practice, the techniques required to make different kinds of sounds, and if possible play at least once or twice a week on a real piano, like lessons.

Just because you have an acoustic doesn't automatically translate into better skills. My teacher has many students learning on a Yamaha P85. You would be surprised how much could be done with that lowly device given proper instruction and weekly re-enforced on a teacher's grand piano. Ideally you should have a good practice piano and a good teacher, but if you could only have one or the other, I'd choose the teacher over the acoustic. Obviously, this is addressing the learning aspect, not the enjoyment and inspirational aspect of piano.

Cool. Thanks

#2166388 - 10/15/13 12:06 AM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: 4evrBeginR]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
At a very high level, the grand piano action has many advantages over the upright, but for a beginner, the differences is a bit over blown on these forums. I find playing trills and mordents a bit more effort on an upright. The action is a little less responsive (comparing brand new to brand new). Otherwise, you should have no issues getting pretty far with your studies on an upright.

But it is still a fact that the piano you practice on can affect your progress, no matter what level you are on. I have wasted a lot of time trying to learn what my teacher teachers (on a good grand) while practicing with my (new) upright. The action and keys are just too difficult for me to play in many ways causing a lot of tension. I have tried numerous grands and uprights and found them all much more comfortable to play.

#2166446 - 10/15/13 01:53 AM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
Jessiebear Online   content

Loc: New Zealand
I was recently able to play on a 1 year old grand and it was so strange compared to my upright. I found it VERY hard to press enough sound out of the keys, they were a lot more stiff and 'hard' than I'm used to. Once I got the hang of it it was ok, but wow what an eyeopener to how different pianos can be! The lady's other piano, an upright, had a vastly different sound to it than mine (in tune but 'different'), and the keys were easier to press so I overdid it until I moderated my playing.

I think it's really important to have experience of different types and brands of pianos, there is so much variety just in uprights, let alone between DP and acoustic.

Edited by Jessiebear (10/15/13 01:54 AM)
Edit Reason: scphelling

#2166532 - 10/15/13 07:40 AM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: outo]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: outo
At a very high level, the grand piano action has many advantages over the upright, but for a beginner, the differences is a bit over blown on these forums. I find playing trills and mordents a bit more effort on an upright. The action is a little less responsive (comparing brand new to brand new). Otherwise, you should have no issues getting pretty far with your studies on an upright.

But it is still a fact that the piano you practice on can affect your progress, no matter what level you are on. I have wasted a lot of time trying to learn what my teacher teachers (on a good grand) while practicing with my (new) upright. The action and keys are just too difficult for me to play in many ways causing a lot of tension. I have tried numerous grands and uprights and found them all much more comfortable to play.
I, too, do not submit to the idea that it's OK for a beginner to be on a less than ideal instrument just because they aren't playing demanding music.

1) Playing on a beautiful, responsive instrument is inspiring at any level
2) You do not want your instrument to limit your growth. If it is not capable of things, you will not do them because you simply will not know it was possible
3) Pianos aren't cheap. If you can afford a grand, but get a digital first because you think a beginner doesn't need a grand, and then you upgrade to an acoustic upright, and then finally to a grand, you've purchased 3 pianos when you could have just purchased one. If one isn't sure they want to buy a piano, renting a piano for 6 months and then buying (usually the rental payments go towards the purchase of a piano) is a good option.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2167763 - 10/17/13 03:49 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

>Is the feel or action very different between an upright and a grand or is it similar? Does it take more to press the keys down on a grand or is it easier?

Yes. To me uprights feel heavier on average, and grands lighter.

Technically they are probably the same as there is a more or less standardized key weight. But I guess that the action is better balanced on a grand.

#2167878 - 10/17/13 09:27 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: wouter79]
IreneAdler Offline

Loc: Washington
I can not speak to the keys on all uprights, but my Schimmel upright doesn't have heavier keys compared to playing my teacher's grand. In fact I think sometime my teacher's piano has slightly heavier keys, but this could be just from the fact I only get a chance to play the piano once a week.

#2167930 - 10/18/13 12:35 AM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: IreneAdler]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
I have found all grands much easier to play than uprights, regardless of the key weight. My hands just seem to "fit" better. I think it has something to do with the key length and my hand shape and the way I sit.

There's also a psychological dimension to this: I have noticed that if the action of the piano is not responsive enough I have a tendency to try to compensate with too much force which creates tension and the keys start feeling heavier than what they actually are.

#2167976 - 10/18/13 04:00 AM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: wouter79]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: wouter79
>Is the feel or action very different between an upright and a grand or is it similar? Does it take more to press the keys down on a grand or is it easier?

Yes. To me uprights feel heavier on average, and grands lighter.

Technically they are probably the same as there is a more or less standardized key weight. But I guess that the action is better balanced on a grand.

It`s maybe worth noting (maybe not) that the action on cheap digitals is lighter than on expensive ones. So they would be more amenable to practice on if you want to replicate a grand.

The silence is deafening . . . . grin

""

#2168149 - 10/18/13 02:30 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: peterws]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

We often focus on weight, but actually, this is not the most critical difference for me. Once there is a down force of 50 g or so, the most important difference between any DP and a grand / upright piano is the way the sound comes out depending on the motion of the down stroke. There is a huge difference between acoustics and digitals, and also within acoustics, a difference between grand and upright. Weight is not the issue, a little more, a little less is not a big deal. It's this down stroke motion to sound element that is the most important aspect that separate digitals from acoustics.

#2169124 - 10/20/13 08:54 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
Rusty Fortysome Offline

Loc: USA
I've worked on dozens of uprights, repairing them, playing, etc. I've also played dozens of grands from Steinway to Bechstein to Baldwin to Yamaha and Kawaii and etc. I own a DP and other electric pianos and I also own an old grand.

Most uprights are either on par with the action of a grand or far-far easier to play. They always tend to have an ease to the weight on the keys. Grands always seem to need some work, compared to the uprights.

However, I always find myself able to get a better range of emotion on a grand. When I play grands, assuming they aren't hellishly difficult, I can really go from soft to pounding and develop a better range of expressivity. The easy keys of uprights limit that ability. Or so I have experienced. Nothing wrong with uprights, but I enjoy grands more.
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"Claire DeLune (finally)"

#2169173 - 10/20/13 10:33 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've never really played a grand. I question if I'd even be able to depress the keys. I'm sure its nothing like the action on my Yamaha arias 141 digital. Or is it?

#2169512 - 10/21/13 01:30 PM Re: Upright vs Grand? [Re: findingnemo2010]
Forstergirl Offline

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: findingnemo2010
I've never really played a grand. I question if I'd even be able to depress the keys. I'm sure its nothing like the action on my Yamaha arias 141 digital. Or is it?

I have a fairly good digital, weighted keys, etc. I played it for a few months and then got a grand. Now, on the rare occasion when I try to use the digital, some notes will sound twice, in fast succession. It's startling. My assumption is that my fingers, through perhaps excess weight on the keys, i.e. sticking to the keys (a favourite annoying habit) I am triggering the key to play twice. Anybody else have this experience?

Forstergirl

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
66 registered (AndrewJCW, 36251, Baudelaire, barmassimo, bennevis, beeboss, 15 invisible), 1147 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156245 Topics
2294643 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
22 minutes 43 seconds ago
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
Today at 05:30 AM
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission