Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2169399 - 10/21/13 10:53 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Steve Warner Offline

Loc: New York, New York
Great! Keep me posted. I'm especially interested in how long it takes you to feel comfortable with the part taught in the first video, and how many minutes a day you're spending on it.

Note that in my blog, I go over a little bit from the sheet music after each video. My current blog posts might be too basic for you, but it will get more involved as I go. Here is the blog post with the first lesson:

http://www.pianoonlinemusic.com/piano-online-lesson-play-fur-elise-1/

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2169614 - 10/21/13 04:20 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Steve Warner]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: Steve Warner
Great! Keep me posted. I'm especially interested in how long it takes you to feel comfortable with the part taught in the first video, and how many minutes a day you're spending on it.

Note that in my blog, I go over a little bit from the sheet music after each video. My current blog posts might be too basic for you, but it will get more involved as I go. Here is the blog post with the first lesson:

http://www.pianoonlinemusic.com/piano-online-lesson-play-fur-elise-1/

No not too basic- I like how you present it. Had a long day in training session for my new job ( next week I start work part time so will have much more time for piano)- so am only now going to practise a little on Fur Elise. I don't like playing past 10pm- thinking of the neighbours.I think it was about 30 minutes on it yesterday evening.I'm going to keep practising it for a few nights. I'll let you know how I get on! No practise Thursday though as I'm going to a Rachmaninov concert straight from work!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2169629 - 10/21/13 04:54 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't know what happened there....just spent about 25 minutes on it and I was able to play it many times in a row without fluffing- I have never done that before- I always fluff.
I also found myself becoming much smoother moving hand positions- getting the left hand in position as I started playing the right hand notes- not easy for me either as I have such small hands.
I found myself not thinking but just playing it in a sort other state of mind; hard to explain. In fact if I thought anything that's when the fluffs happened.
Perhaps it is Beethoven's two portraits on top of the piano- doing my best not to disgrace myself under his watchful eyes ha. I have also got Clara Schumann, Chopin and Liszt there too.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/21/13 04:56 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2170164 - 10/22/13 04:37 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Fur Elise on electric guitar- really the most extraordinary version of anything by Beethoven I have heard on guitar- proof of how timeless Beethoven is- if one had never heard Fur Elise before, one would think
this was a twentieth century composition. What do you all think of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnc4T26NslA

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/22/13 04:38 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2171173 - 10/24/13 10:32 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Steve Warner Offline

Loc: New York, New York
That's a nice video - I love heavy versions of classical music. Sounds like it's going well for you. Have you learned the whole first movement yet?

#2171186 - 10/24/13 10:52 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Steve Warner]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Fur Elise on electric guitar- really the most extraordinary version of anything by Beethoven I have heard on guitar- proof of how timeless Beethoven is- if one had never heard Fur Elise before, one would think

That's a nice video - I love heavy versions of classical music. Sounds like it's going well for you. Have you learned the whole first movement yet?

You guys should take a look at my Beethoven Fantasy.

Polyphonist

#2171415 - 10/24/13 05:45 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

You guys should take a look at my Beethoven Fantasy.

Oddly enough, I posted this to RST two weeks ago. It's a great arrangement of the third movement of Moonlight Sonata. I've always thought some of Beethoven's pieces would translate to metal well.

What and where is your Beethoven Fantasy, Poly?

#2172361 - 10/26/13 01:06 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Steve Warner]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nooooooo! That'd take me years lol. I have yet to start the second video. Haven't played since Wed. I have been knackered with early starts for my new job. I also went to a concert Thursday night.I slept really late today- and had jobs round the house to do. My house is rivalling Beethoven's ha ha.
I aim to play a bit more later.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2172421 - 10/26/13 03:18 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: AimeeO]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
What and where is your Beethoven Fantasy, Poly?

Polyphonist

#2177581 - 11/05/13 02:25 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Very moving documentary on Beethoven. It is an old one and the picture quality is fuzzy- bit it's worth watching. Anyone know what sonata it is at 38:07?

There is a very poignant quote from the reading at Beethoven's funeral:

"If ever the power of his creations overwhelmed you like an approaching storm...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byCGtCTwLwQ0

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/05/13 02:26 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2177949 - 11/06/13 11:33 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: AimeeO]
neuralfirings Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO

Oddly enough, I posted this to RST two weeks ago. It's a great arrangement of the third movement of Moonlight Sonata. I've always thought some of Beethoven's pieces would translate to metal well.

I can play 4 chords on the guitar, but I would love to get the accompaniment track to that YouTube and play along on the piano. Sounds like that would be a lot of fun!

#2177971 - 11/06/13 12:28 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

You should have a go!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2177997 - 11/06/13 01:18 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Anyone know what sonata it is at 38:07?

It's the opening of the 4th piano concerto.The piano plays a short solo.

#2178101 - 11/06/13 05:09 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, I found that out earlier this evening thanks Timmy. I love the way the piano and orchestra are "answering" each other.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2178382 - 11/07/13 08:58 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amazon have cottoned on to my Beethoven needs and sent me a link to the Thayer biography on Kindle for less than a quid! I delayed not a second to add this to my Kindle.
Of course, I prefer paper books but it is also nice to have a light weight reading device for the boring bus journeys!
Luckily nobody seemed to notice me laughing on the bus home today, as I was reading Beethoven's letters about his "vile" servants who he threw books at to make them get on with their work!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Life-Ludwig-...1?s=digital-...

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2178801 - 11/07/13 11:53 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Triple J Offline

I've recently joined PW having taken back to the piano in the last year and I've fallen under the spell of Beethoven where it was Bach in school years and years ago. I've also been making my first foray into the Pathetique this past year and enjoy it more and more as the mind gets it under the fingers.

Just recently watched the BBC Beethoven. Very enjoyable.

And currently listening to the Sokolov Paris 2002.
His Beethoven is so fresh and full of life, it is really hard to fathom.

#2179002 - 11/08/13 11:28 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
shaolin95 Offline

Glad to see this thread.
The reason I got into piano again was first because of Beethoven..my long time goal is to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement. smile
Of course, as I get more and more into classical, I am falling in love with many more composers and pieces. Some which are maybe beyond what I will be able to reach since I started as an adult but I for sure wont quit working to get there.
As my first official classical piece I just finished Fur Elise.
This was a piece I never intended to learn...it seemed so dull and tired already (probably thanks to a version I dislike so much by Richard Clayderman).
In any case, after listening to Valentina Lisitsa, I learned that there is a lot of beauty on that piece again and I am thrilled to be able to play it now.
Next stop is Moonlight Sonata 1st movement (although I am also working On Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545 1st mov.).

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2179709 - 11/09/13 05:53 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Triple J]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Triple J
I've recently joined PW having taken back to the piano in the last year and I've fallen under the spell of Beethoven where it was Bach in school years and years ago. I've also been making my first foray into the Pathetique this past year and enjoy it more and more as the mind gets it under the fingers.

Just recently watched the BBC Beethoven. Very enjoyable.

And currently listening to the Sokolov Paris 2002.
His Beethoven is so fresh and full of life, it is really hard to fathom.

It's always good to fall under Beethoven's spell! smile
When you meant the BBC prgramme- did you mean the documentary-drama one with Paul Rhys?
If you really want Beethoven fresh and full of life then Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano is it!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2179713 - 11/09/13 05:59 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: shaolin95]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: shaolin95
Glad to see this thread.
The reason I got into piano again was first because of Beethoven..my long time goal is to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement. smile
Of course, as I get more and more into classical, I am falling in love with many more composers and pieces. Some which are maybe beyond what I will be able to reach since I started as an adult but I for sure wont quit working to get there.
As my first official classical piece I just finished Fur Elise.
This was a piece I never intended to learn...it seemed so dull and tired already (probably thanks to a version I dislike so much by Richard Clayderman).
In any case, after listening to Valentina Lisitsa, I learned that there is a lot of beauty on that piece again and I am thrilled to be able to play it now.
Next stop is Moonlight Sonata 1st movement (although I am also working On Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545 1st mov.).

Yes, Beethoven needed his own thread! I am working on Fur Elise as well.I like Valentina also. There is great beauty in Fur Elise- I can feel it as I practise it even though I am a clumsy beginner.
I am sure you will love practising the C sharp minor sonata.
You know what I haven't listened to any of Mozart's piano sonatas.I ought to do that- will be interesting to see how different they sound to Beethoven's. I have heard some of Haydn's and all of Chopin's. Both of them are good but, I think from what I have heard, Beethoven was the master of piano sonatas. The Hammerklavier cannot be beaten!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2179770 - 11/09/13 08:27 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

You know what I haven't listened to any of Mozart's piano sonatas.I ought to do that- will be interesting to see how different they sound to Beethoven's. I have heard some of Haydn's and all of Chopin's. Both of them are good but, I think from what I have heard, Beethoven was the master of piano sonatas. The Hammerklavier cannot be beaten!

Yes it can, but not by Mozart, Haydn, or Chopin.

Polyphonist

#2179858 - 11/09/13 10:57 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not by anyone. smile
The Hammerklavier is monumental in its scope of emotional depth and very hard to play. Even Stravinsky said the fugue of the last movement is "exhuasting".No sonata is as great as this one.
And not just the Hammerklavier- sonata no. 21 also is terrifcally hard to master:

One of his greatest and most technically challenging piano sonatas, the first section of the Rondo requires a simultaneous pedal trill, high melody and rapid left hand runs while its coda's glissando octaves, written in dialogue between the hands, compel even advanced performers to play in a simplified version since it is more demanding to play on the heavier action of a modern piano than on an early 19th Century instrument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No._21_%28Beethoven%29

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/09/13 11:11 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2179859 - 11/09/13 10:59 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Not by anyone. smile

Only by Beethoven himself.

Polyphonist

#2179865 - 11/09/13 11:10 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not by anyone. smile

Only by Beethoven himself.

Aha yes....!! You have it my friend. Only the Master can beat the Master. He was renowned in Vienna at being the most extrordinary pianist they had ever seen, so much so that virtuoso pianist Daniel Stiebert left Vienna never to return, after Beethoven beat him in a piano improvisation contest.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/09/13 11:13 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2179866 - 11/09/13 11:14 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

No sonata is as great as this one.

Maybe Opus 111.

The greatest sonata not by Beethoven is, in my opinion, Chopin's 3rd. But I would put about 5 Beethoven sonatas before that.

Polyphonist

#2179875 - 11/09/13 11:31 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

No sonata is as great as this one.

Maybe Opus 111.

The greatest sonata not by Beethoven is, in my opinion, Chopin's 3rd. But I would put about 5 Beethoven sonatas before that.

I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth- it just takes you on a journey and feels like his whole life is in it.The ending is sublime.When I first heard the Hammerklavier I was blown to bits ( in a good way)!

Chopin's sonatas are excellent but Beethoven's later sonatas have something almost otherworldly about them, transcendent- awesome; they affect me like no other piano works I have heard.

After Beethoven I prefer Chopin's- shame he only wrote 3!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/09/13 11:33 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2179876 - 11/09/13 11:36 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

I would nominate the Diabelli Variations for that position, or Opus 111 if we're only allowing sonatas.

Chopin's sonatas are excellent but Beethoven's later sonatas have something almost otherworldly about them, transcendent- awesome...

Chopin's have that also, and I think you're underestimating them, but of course he can't compare with Beethoven, the greatest man ever to walk this earth.

Agreed, and it's only 2. One of them is no good. mad

I'm currently working on the B minor. It's incredibly difficult, but the coda alone is worth all the effort. And looking at the entire piece...Wow. That sonata approaches Beethoven, and surpasses everything else.

Have you heard the Liszt?

Polyphonist

#2179880 - 11/09/13 11:50 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
[quote=EdwardianPiano]I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

I would nominate the Diabelli Variations for that position, or Opus 111 if we're only allowing sonatas.

The Diabelli Variations are excellent of course but I don't hear the emotional depth in them that the later sonatas have esp Hammerklavier.

Quote:
Chopin's sonatas are excellent but Beethoven's later sonatas have something almost otherworldly about them, transcendent- awesome...

Chopin's have that also, and I think you're underestimating them, but of course he can't compare with Beethoven, the greatest man ever to walk this earth.

Yes, Chopin's certainly have great emotion in them and depth, but there is something indefinable in Beehoven's- I cannot quite put it into words. And yes Beethoven was the greatest man to ever be born. I think his character was as interesting as his music- big hearted man, eccentric and very courageous.

Quote:

I'm currently working on the B minor. It's incredibly difficult, but the coda alone is worth all the effort. And looking at the entire piece...Wow. That sonata approaches Beethoven, and surpasses everything else.

Have you heard the Liszt?

Which one of Chopin's sonatas is no good?! I'll have to lsuten to them tomorrow- not heard them for awhile- Beethoven has my full attention lately... smile

Heard Liszt's once, but was a while back- didn't grab me like Beethoven and Chopin.

And what about Beethoven's Fantasy op 77? Brilliant!!!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/09/13 11:51 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2179881 - 11/09/13 11:53 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
[quote=EdwardianPiano]I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

The Diabelli Variations are excellent of course but I don't hear the emotional depth in them that the later sonatas have esp Hammerklavier.

Are you joking? Variation 24, 31, 33? And the variations as a whole are such a wonderful journey. It's the greatest work ever written for the piano, edging out Bach's similar masterpiece, the Goldbergs, by an appreciable amount.

Polyphonist

#2179883 - 11/09/13 11:55 PM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Which one of Chopin's sonatas is no good?! I'll have to lsuten to them tomorrow- not heard them for awhile- Beethoven has my full attention lately... smile

The C minor. It's a student piece, and very dull and uninspired. One of the very, very few bad pieces in Chopin's output. The other two are brilliant.

Polyphonist

#2179891 - 11/10/13 12:13 AM Re: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread [Re: Polyphonist]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

The C minor. It's a student piece, and very dull and uninspired. One of the very, very few bad pieces in Chopin's output. The other two are brilliant.

Will listen to it tomorrow! Bedtime now. zzzzzzzzz

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
44 minutes 7 seconds ago
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
67 registered (anotherscott, Allard, angga888, ando, 13 invisible), 1060 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325941 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission