2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Not by anyone. smile
The Hammerklavier is monumental in its scope of emotional depth and very hard to play. Even Stravinsky said the fugue of the last movement is "exhuasting".No sonata is as great as this one.
And not just the Hammerklavier- sonata no. 21 also is terrifcally hard to master:

One of his greatest and most technically challenging piano sonatas, the first section of the Rondo requires a simultaneous pedal trill, high melody and rapid left hand runs while its coda's glissando octaves, written in dialogue between the hands, compel even advanced performers to play in a simplified version since it is more demanding to play on the heavier action of a modern piano than on an early 19th Century instrument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No._21_%28Beethoven%29

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/10/13 12:11 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Not by anyone. smile

Only by Beethoven himself.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Not by anyone. smile

Only by Beethoven himself.

Aha yes....!! You have it my friend. Only the Master can beat the Master. He was renowned in Vienna at being the most extrordinary pianist they had ever seen, so much so that virtuoso pianist Daniel Stiebert left Vienna never to return, after Beethoven beat him in a piano improvisation contest.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/10/13 12:13 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
No sonata is as great as this one.

Maybe Opus 111.

The greatest sonata not by Beethoven is, in my opinion, Chopin's 3rd. But I would put about 5 Beethoven sonatas before that.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
No sonata is as great as this one.

Maybe Opus 111.

The greatest sonata not by Beethoven is, in my opinion, Chopin's 3rd. But I would put about 5 Beethoven sonatas before that.

I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth- it just takes you on a journey and feels like his whole life is in it.The ending is sublime.When I first heard the Hammerklavier I was blown to bits ( in a good way)!

Chopin's sonatas are excellent but Beethoven's later sonatas have something almost otherworldly about them, transcendent- awesome; they affect me like no other piano works I have heard.

After Beethoven I prefer Chopin's- shame he only wrote 3!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/10/13 12:33 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

I would nominate the Diabelli Variations for that position, or Opus 111 if we're only allowing sonatas.

Chopin's sonatas are excellent but Beethoven's later sonatas have something almost otherworldly about them, transcendent- awesome...

Chopin's have that also, and I think you're underestimating them, but of course he can't compare with Beethoven, the greatest man ever to walk this earth.

Agreed, and it's only 2. One of them is no good. mad

I'm currently working on the B minor. It's incredibly difficult, but the coda alone is worth all the effort. And looking at the entire piece...Wow. That sonata approaches Beethoven, and surpasses everything else.

Have you heard the Liszt?

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
[quote=EdwardianPiano]I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

I would nominate the Diabelli Variations for that position, or Opus 111 if we're only allowing sonatas.

The Diabelli Variations are excellent of course but I don't hear the emotional depth in them that the later sonatas have esp Hammerklavier.

Chopin's sonatas are excellent but Beethoven's later sonatas have something almost otherworldly about them, transcendent- awesome...

Chopin's have that also, and I think you're underestimating them, but of course he can't compare with Beethoven, the greatest man ever to walk this earth.

Yes, Chopin's certainly have great emotion in them and depth, but there is something indefinable in Beehoven's- I cannot quite put it into words. And yes Beethoven was the greatest man to ever be born. I think his character was as interesting as his music- big hearted man, eccentric and very courageous.

I'm currently working on the B minor. It's incredibly difficult, but the coda alone is worth all the effort. And looking at the entire piece...Wow. That sonata approaches Beethoven, and surpasses everything else.

Have you heard the Liszt?

Which one of Chopin's sonatas is no good?! I'll have to lsuten to them tomorrow- not heard them for awhile- Beethoven has my full attention lately... smile

Heard Liszt's once, but was a while back- didn't grab me like Beethoven and Chopin.

And what about Beethoven's Fantasy op 77? Brilliant!!!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/10/13 12:51 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
[quote=EdwardianPiano]I love opus 111 also- has what sounds like jazz in it! However I do think the Hammerklavier is his best in its depth...

The Diabelli Variations are excellent of course but I don't hear the emotional depth in them that the later sonatas have esp Hammerklavier.

Are you joking? Variation 24, 31, 33? And the variations as a whole are such a wonderful journey. It's the greatest work ever written for the piano, edging out Bach's similar masterpiece, the Goldbergs, by an appreciable amount.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Which one of Chopin's sonatas is no good?! I'll have to lsuten to them tomorrow- not heard them for awhile- Beethoven has my full attention lately... smile

The C minor. It's a student piece, and very dull and uninspired. One of the very, very few bad pieces in Chopin's output. The other two are brilliant.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

The C minor. It's a student piece, and very dull and uninspired. One of the very, very few bad pieces in Chopin's output. The other two are brilliant.

Will listen to it tomorrow! Bedtime now. zzzzzzzzz

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Are you joking? Variation 24, 31, 33? And the variations as a whole are such a wonderful journey. It's the greatest work ever written for the piano, edging out Bach's similar masterpiece, the Goldbergs, by an appreciable amount.

Will put them on you tube tomorrow....but no not joking..Hammerklavier is the one that affects me the most as an entire work but the variations in sonata no. 30 give me shivers of delight. smile

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/10/13 01:17 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Will put them on you tube tomorrow....but no not joking..Hammerklavier is the one that affects me the most as an entire work but the variations in sonata no. 30 give me shivers of delight. smile

Yes, I agree about the last movement of 109 - absolutely ethereal. But the "as a whole" prize, again, goes to Diabelli for me. The Hammerklavier is pretty high up there though, and at least we both love late Beethoven. smile You'd be surprised how many people out there don't get it. (Too deep for them? wink )

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes, I agree about the last movement of 109 - absolutely ethereal. But the "as a whole" prize, again, goes to Diabelli for me. The Hammerklavier is pretty high up there though, and at least we both love late Beethoven. smile You'd be surprised how many people out there don't get it. (Too deep for them? wink )

They don't?!
Well onto the Diabelli variations you mentioned then Chopin's C minor sonata.
By the way here's a Beethoven radio station:

http://streamdb2web.securenetsystems.net/v5/BEETIR

They had Missa Solemnis on as I got up so achieved my aim to listen to that today- no need to put the CD on now.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Those variations are of course briliant. I blew my nose during variation 32 (got a cold) and my ears popped really loud and the music leapt out at me! 24 is beautifully gentle and tender. I will have to listen to them again in one go when I am not tired and full of cold. I am still going with the Hammerklavier as the most profound though.
Now onto poor Chopin....

T
T
[/quote]
It's always good to fall under Beethoven's spell! smile
When you meant the BBC prgramme- did you mean the documentary-drama one with Paul Rhys?
If you really want Beethoven fresh and full of life then Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano is it! [/quote]

Thanks EP, Yes the Rhys one.
I just listened to Brautigam play Pathetique m1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtob5343e8

Crisp and vivacious! His tremolo is sublime. It is unfortunate the modern piano action adds so much extra work to getting to the music of at least the earlier LvB works.
Early in my musical awakening I came across LP vinyl of ( was not available 8-track evidently laugh ) Fritz Neumyer playing Haydn sonatas on a hammerflügel. Beautiful little gems.

Last edited by Triple J; 11/10/13 09:04 PM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks EP, Yes the Rhys one.
I just listened to Brautigam play Pathetique m1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtob5343e8

Crisp and vivacious! His tremolo is sublime. It is unfortunate the modern piano action adds so much extra work to getting to the music of at least the earlier LvB works.
Early in my musical awakening I came across LP vinyl of ( was not available 8-track evidently laugh ) Fritz Neumyer playing Haydn sonatas on a hammerflügel. Beautiful little gems.

I like to rewatch the scenes in the Paul Rhys docu drama- my favourites are when he beats Daniel Stiebert in the piano contest and when Julie is struggling with the 3rd movement of the C sharp sonata and he is standing there watching, then he comes up to her he and says "Can I help?" And when he sits down to play it her mouth falls open in amazement. Did you know the pianist for this drama was Ronald Brautigam?

Oh I haven't heard the Brautigam Pathetique yet- thanks for the link! Ronald's playing on the fortepiano is stunning- I think B would approve.
There are some more of his vids on you tube- check out the Hammerklavier sonata- astonishing!!

Is a hammerflugel a period keyboard? Ronald also has recorded Haydn on fortepiano- what a revelation! All the subtleties can be heard.

Here is the c sharp sonata, first mvt on a late 1800s piano with well temperament ( B was using something similar not equal temperament we have today):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fqQikzKIjs

PS Ronald was not using equal temperament either.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/11/13 10:52 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I like to rewatch the scenes in the Paul Rhys docu drama- my favourites are when he beats Daniel Stiebert in the piano contest...

Is it this scene? I love it. grin

(By the way, it's Steibelt, not Steibert.)

Regards,

Polyphonist
J
J
Just popping in to give Mr B. a bit of love! I enjoyed playing Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata 1st mvt as a teen, plus a couple of others. His music is so stormy and passionate. Loved the vid of the metal guitar version of M/S 3rd mvt!

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jessiebear
Just popping in to give Mr B. a bit of love! I enjoyed playing Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata 1st mvt as a teen, plus a couple of others. His music is so stormy and passionate. Loved the vid of the metal guitar version of M/S 3rd mvt!

That's nice Jessie- Mr B deserves it. smile Yes stormy and passionate is right- must be what makes his music so alive and engaging- the 3rd movement of the C sharp minor ( don't like the term Moonlight it doesn't fit it and Mr B didn't give it that name- it was quasi una fantasia...) certainly is stormy and passionate isn't it!
The metal version is interesting.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I like to rewatch the scenes in the Paul Rhys docu drama- my favourites are when he beats Daniel Stiebert in the piano contest...

Is it this scene? I love it. grin

(By the way, it's Steibelt, not Steibert.)

Yeah that's it- well poor Daniel is so memorable I got his name wrong. laugh
They greatly simplified his playing for this scene as he was said to be a virtuoso pianist but Beethoven was better again! After he beat Steibelt, Beethoven was declared the champion and no more piano improvisation contests were held- it was then agreed he was the best in Vienna and unbeatable.
Imagine his improvisations- they must have been out of this world! The descriptions by people who saw them indicate that.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/11/13 01:59 AM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission