Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2166757 - 10/15/13 05:20 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
And I'm stuck in "Folsom Prison Blues" smile

Johnny Cash left hand piano style…

Rick

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2166762 - 10/15/13 05:28 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
I always wondered how those guys managed those rapid-fire repeated triads in triplets up in the high treble. Maybe the spinet's insubstantial feel, or shallow key travel, or something, contributed to their ability to play them so fast?

www.josephkubera.com

#2166792 - 10/15/13 06:36 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: RealPlayer]
WurliFan Offline

Loc: Western PA
None of those things; It's funny you mention the action of Spinets, Especially those with a better drop action design like the Wurlitzer. Do you think the touch is going to feel the same 60 years later? Example: The Henning Upright I played last week. Large Upright Piano. Almost all of the feel in the keys was gone, wasn't very responsive. 90 years ago, however, the piano probably had all of it's touch. I estimate that only about 30 percent of the population of piano owners actually regulate their piano; hence, after so many years, the touch starts to wear down as the action continually gets neglected. The Bass notes in my spinet are very responsive and have almost as much control as a Newer upright piano. The treble notes.....not so much. They were played far more often.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166817 - 10/15/13 07:33 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: bebopsam]
WurliFan Offline

Whoops, I keep on missing your posts! I do try and reply to everyone that takes the time to comment on my topics. Sorry 'bout that! I agree with you, though; Uprights are more suited for certain kinds of music. Imagine a Spinet with Tack Hammers.....that would be extremely tinny and amazing for Ragtime and Honky Tonk! You need a 'dirty' sounding piano for the blues! Speaking of Atlantic, the same spinet piano heard in 'Mess Around' Can be heard in the background on Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle, and Roll!"
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2166830 - 10/15/13 08:00 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: RealPlayer]
bebopsam Offline

Originally Posted By: RealPlayer
I always wondered how those guys managed those rapid-fire repeated triads in triplets up in the high treble. Maybe the spinet's insubstantial feel, or shallow key travel, or something, contributed to their ability to play them so fast?

Oh come on now, the repetition isn't THAT poor on an upright. I just tried some triplets on my spinet in the middle range and then higher up, started off medium (fats domino speed!) then faster (little richard) and then some speedy stuff (jerry lee lewis). I didn't have trouble with either

#2166835 - 10/15/13 08:18 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: RealPlayer]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Those triplets are a common figure in Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano, both styles that are the genesis of early Rock and Roll.

Many of those original Rock and Roll players learned by listening to Blues players.

Jerry Lee Lewis and his cousins as youngsters hung around the outside of Blues juke joints to listen to the piano players. And they very likely practiced the triplets.

But you are on to something...such fast notes are easier on a looser piano.

Edited by rocket88 (10/15/13 08:19 PM)

#2166856 - 10/15/13 08:59 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
bebopsam Offline

rocket88 - perfect display name for this thread, hahaha. I love the dirty piano sound on that jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1oVTk0

#2166894 - 10/15/13 10:36 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: bebopsam]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: bebopsam
Oh come on now, the repetition isn't THAT poor on an upright. I just tried some triplets on my spinet in the middle range and then higher up, started off medium (fats domino speed!) then faster (little richard) and then some speedy stuff (jerry lee lewis). I didn't have trouble with either

My home piano, as a youngster back in the late 1950s, was a spinet, and the action seemed very light to me, so that's why I brought it up.

www.josephkubera.com

#2166902 - 10/15/13 10:58 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: RealPlayer]
bebopsam Offline

Originally Posted By: bebopsam

My home piano, as a youngster back in the late 1950s, was a spinet, and the action seemed very light to me, so that's why I brought it up.

Hmmmmm...maybe! I'm gonna try the triplet test on a full sized upright next time I play one!

#2166922 - 10/15/13 11:49 PM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: WurliFan]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
A good pianist can play on a good upright, anything they can play on a grand.

An upright will, with a skilful player, repeat faster than a grand. The only difference is that there isn't the precise degree of control.

Much is written in these pages comparing grand and upright actions. while it is true in theory, in practice it is a whole different experience.

Spinets, even only in reasonable condition will respond adequately to the demands of any and all of the pianists mentioned.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2166929 - 10/16/13 12:10 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: rxd]
bebopsam Offline

Originally Posted By: rxd
A good pianist can play on a good upright, anything they can play on a grand.

An upright will, with a skilful player, repeat faster than a grand. The only difference is that there isn't the precise degree of control.

Much is written in these pages comparing grand and upright actions. while it is true in theory, in practice it is a whole different experience.

Spinets, even only in reasonable condition will respond adequately to the demands of any and all of the pianists mentioned.

That's how I feel!

#2167066 - 10/16/13 08:40 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: bebopsam]
WurliFan Offline

Hehe, that was actually recorded at Sun Studio; that's the Wurlitzer Spinet right there! wink
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

#2167067 - 10/16/13 08:43 AM Re: Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis Played a Wurlitzer Spinet!?!?!? [Re: rxd]
WurliFan Offline

I'm glad mine's in good condition. My grandmother's almost has no touch left at all, and it's very hard to control. It needs some serious regulation.
Sun Records
Specialty Records
Atlantic Records
Roulette Records
Stax Records
Imperial Records
Chess Records
Still counting.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (allakart, ando, Badinage, 23 invisible), 870 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157173 Topics
2308416 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer 275
by PhilipInChina
Today at 03:07 AM
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
Today at 01:34 AM
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
Today at 01:24 AM
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission