Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2166034 - 10/14/13 12:03 PM Impromptu in d minor
Skinkken Offline

My previous piece (Prelude in e minor): http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2125390.html#Post2125390

So again I got a musical idea in my head and I started writing it down with MuseScore. I could say that it took a little more time than my prelude. It was ready in a week. Then there have been work with a computer played listening version and cleaner sheet music. Now I think it's time to publish. This is the second piece I have composed. I always first compose it on computer, then try it with piano and fix some parts. I think that this is even harder than the first composition (prelude).

Feedback is very important, both positive and negative. Many parts can be done better, and I may have not noticed everything. In my opinion this would have been a little longer, but I probably won't been trying to lengthen it anymore. It would be also very hard to do, as as the composer I have heard this so many times and all changes would sound strange.

-A 17 year old highschool student from Finland.

Listening version and sheet music here: http://pianosociety.com/new/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5761
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/skinkken/impromptu1

Edited by Skinkken (10/14/13 12:17 PM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2166044 - 10/14/13 12:41 PM Re: Impromptu in d minor [Re: Skinkken]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
One thing that stands out to me: I enjoy the middle section with the 16th-note triplets, but the way you conclude them at measure 25 is abrupt, crude, and banal, and in my opinion premature. It sounds like you just decided you didn't feel like writing any more of this, so you just inserted a bar of long notes and went back to your original idea. First theme I'm not so crazy about; the harmony lacks continuity and there is no defined structure.

Polyphonist

#2166072 - 10/14/13 01:24 PM Re: Impromptu in d minor [Re: Skinkken]
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Skinkken,

There are some interesting ideas here. I hear a lot of teen angst so there's a lot of loud and heavy chords. The sixteenth triplet part breaks up the rhythm, but not the dynamics. I don't find the transition back to the first section as troubling as Polyphonist, but I do think you'll find your work improves when you strive to delay gratification.

I myself have done exactly what Polyphonist accused you of, decided I'd had enough and transitioned to something else. However, I've found that transitions are a place the composer can ply the art by making them elegant and perhaps hint at what's coming next before actually making the move.

Hope that helps.

#2166200 - 10/14/13 04:31 PM Re: Impromptu in d minor [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
One thing that stands out to me: I enjoy the middle section with the 16th-note triplets, but the way you conclude them at measure 25 is abrupt, crude, and banal, and in my opinion premature. It sounds like you just decided you didn't feel like writing any more of this, so you just inserted a bar of long notes and went back to your original idea. First theme I'm not so crazy about; the harmony lacks continuity and there is no defined structure.

If someone said this about your music you would throw a sarcastic fit.

#2166456 - 10/15/13 02:28 AM Re: Impromptu in d minor [Re: JoelW]
Skinkken Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW

Yes, that was stated out quite heavily, but that opened my eyes on that part and I think I can improve it. Steve also gave tips to think about.

#2166499 - 10/15/13 05:31 AM Re: Impromptu in d minor [Re: Skinkken]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Good, it should have opened your eyes. And Polyphonist was not wrong to criticize you. I was just making a point about something else yesterday. That's all. smile

#2166591 - 10/15/13 10:07 AM Re: Impromptu in d minor [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: JoelW

If it was actually true of my music, then no, I wouldn't.

Polyphonist

#2290494 - 06/16/14 01:05 PM Re: Impromptu in d minor [Re: Skinkken]
Skinkken Offline

A recording of me playing this at a student concert: http://soundcloud.com/skinkken/impromptu-in-d-minor

Sounds a lot different than the computer version! You can also hear I changed the ending.

How comes I can't edit the first post? shocked

Edited by Skinkken (06/16/14 01:10 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (AndreiN, Abby Pianoman, AmateurBob, ando, 39 invisible), 1560 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156172 Topics
2293458 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interview with Arnaldo Cohen
by vlhorowitz
07/25/14 10:53 PM
by vlhorowitz
07/25/14 10:53 PM
by vlhorowitz
07/25/14 10:52 PM
Invention in F Minor
by SunnyFriday
07/25/14 10:21 PM
Noisy keys on a 2 years old Casio PX-135
by pake10
07/25/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission