Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
167 registered (Almaviva, ajames, anamnesis, AndreiN, ando, 39 invisible), 1481 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#216663 - 10/01/04 11:56 AM which Yamaha should I buy?
thyger Offline

I am in the market for a piano. I have been considering Yamahas. I love the bright sound and its a brand name I know trust and have used for 15 years. The prices I am being told are roughly

GB1 - 8000
GC1 - 11500
C1 - 14000
C3 - 20000

This piano will be going into an empty berber-carpeted 16x14 room. The salesman is steering me way from the larger pianos, because my room is too small.

The first time I went into the store, I would not even look at the GB1 because a 4'11'' seemed too wimpy. I just had this notion in my head that my grand would be 6' or longer. Thats before I found this website. Anyway, I just got back from my 2nd visit today, and spent most of my time on the GB1 and it seemed to handle everything I threw at it. The pp is luscious and it seemed to be handling the very loudest fff. But then again I play a clavinova right now, so to me everything has good fff!

To your mind, are the increases in price from GB1-->GC1 and GC1-->C1 worth it? Can you describe the value added? As far as budget I have none but I am very interested in maximizing value; I dont want to buy a more expensive piano unless there is sufficient value added.

I would welcome any views you have on which of these pianos I should buy, you would buy, or which is the best value for an advanced amateur/hobbyist?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#216664 - 10/01/04 12:21 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Mikester Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneesooota
Oh man the price increase is so worth it. I used to own what's now basically a GC1. After playing on that for a few months, I went back to the store and banged on the C1 for a few minutes and I could immediately tell the difference. If you can afford it, I'd say it's definitely worth it the extra few grand for a C1. C3 is nice too, but from your chart up there, it looks like a pretty large jump percentagewise from C1 to C3.

#216665 - 10/01/04 12:26 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Sir Lurksalot Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Early in my search I wanted a GC1. Then I decided a C2 was worth the increase, and wished I could afford a C3. In the end I bought none of them, but I've never heard of anyone who regretted choosing a C3 over a smaller Yamaha.

#216666 - 10/01/04 01:03 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
For most people, the question of affordability plays the largest role. Buy the best instrument you can reasonably afford, and you will never regret the purchase, so long as it doesn't put you in the poor house.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#216667 - 10/01/04 01:47 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
cello lover Offline

Loc: belgium
If you really consider a serious instrument, buy nothing less than a C3. Trust me on this one...
I'll chop off your fingers and feed them to the dogs

#216668 - 10/01/04 01:57 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
JackTang Offline

I think your GC1 price is a little bit too high, I got a brand new one for less than 10K (I do not want to incest Yammi dealers here, but $11500 is high), include 2 free tunnings.

I do not believe there is much differece between GC1 and C1, I guess this is just some kind of promotional piano to compete with korean or CHinese pianos on lower price points.

so If I were you, I will buy either the GC1 or go directly to C3.

good luck. Jack

#216669 - 10/01/04 02:09 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I also think that Yamaha grand pianos get really serious from the C3 and up.

If you do not already have your heart set on getting a Yamaha, do explore other brands of pianos. Visit different stores, play as many different pianos as you can get your hands on, then decide. Surely a little comparison shopping wouldn't hurt -- and can be lots of fun!

Good luck. \:\)

#216670 - 10/01/04 02:15 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
 Quote:
Originally posted by JackTang:
I do not want to incest Yammi dealers here
[/b]
I am sure I speak for everybody when I say thank-you.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#216671 - 10/01/04 02:15 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
fmelliott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
They sell used Yamahas. One of our forumites posted her delight at getting a used C3 this week if I remember correctly.

Some used pianos have had very little wear and offer you a chance to get a better value for your money.

Do be careful, but as you say, Yamaha is dependable.

#216672 - 10/01/04 08:52 PM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
I have a 6'3" piano in a room smaller than yours. The C3 is not too big. Sounds like the salesman is trying to dump a non-seller. I would buy the C3. No question. Definately not a C1.

Although I do not prefer Yamahas, I do not hate them as some do. I almost bought one.

(Pssst...you can get an Estonia 190 for $20K). \:D

#216673 - 10/02/04 02:22 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
cello lover Offline

Loc: belgium
 Quote:
Originally posted by cello lover:
If you really consider a serious instrument, buy nothing less than a C3. Trust me on this one... [/b]
Off course, there are other brands! I was just assuming that you set your heart to a Yamaha...

By the way, not a Yamaha dealer,
just a pianist with a good ear
I'll chop off your fingers and feed them to the dogs

#216674 - 10/02/04 04:42 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Roy123 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Used C3s are usually available for $10k to $13k. That may be the smartest move, because you will be able to hear what the piano sounds like after it's been played a while. When you say you like the brightness of the Yamaha, are you referring to brand new ones or used ones? If you like the brightness of new Yamahas you may not be as enthusiastic about the increased brightness of the pianos as they age. Just a thought...

#216675 - 10/02/04 05:31 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Teresa35walker Offline

Loc: Norfolk, uk
I have just bought a C3.
It's fab. Go for it if you can

Teresa

#216676 - 10/02/04 05:34 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
cps Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
The GB1 is still very new, so I haven't really got a final opinion on them yet. I've only worked on a few so far, so I guess I should reserve judgement.

If you're talking purely bang-for-your-buck terms I'd go with the GC1. Very similar to the C1, but with minor differences I won't bore you with here. I prefer the C1 tone wise, but you could make the GC1 sound very similar if you wanted.

If it's quality you're after, it has to be the C3. There is a huge jump up from the C2 to C3. Two of my favourite pianos I've ever worked on have been C3s.

Good luck with the shopping.

Greg

#216677 - 10/03/04 06:07 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
thyger Offline

Thank you all very much for your posts.

I do know I will love a Yamaha, although my heart is not absolutely set on it. I am willing to consider other brands; I would approach them with a slightly skeptical open mind. When I say I like the brightness of a Yamaha, I do mean used Yamahas. Of course I have nothing against warmer mellow toned pianos too.

One of the main reasons I have not been seriously considering a C3 is the salesman keeps saying I would be unhappy with that big of a piano in a 16x14 room. I neglected to mention the room has a flat 8' ceiling. He claims the piano will be uncomfortably and unpleasantly loud in that size room, and I will have to take extraordinary measures to quiet it down. Even after I told him I would like it very loud, and I like to play loudly and play loud pieces... Thank you gryphon for your comment about room size, and if anyone else has other comments about room size I would really appreciate it.

Ha, before I started looking at all or started to read and learn, the Yamaha C3 was my first choice! Just because 6' was some important number in my mind for whatever reason.

The other reason I stopped considering a C3 is I was not able to perceive sufficient value added over a C1. But some of the posts here are helping me to realize that I may have been wrong along those lines.

#216678 - 10/03/04 06:13 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
I have a 6'1" grand in a room that is 15X12 and, although it is certainly louder than my spinet, it is fine, although I tend to gravitate twoard softer pieces.

If you like to play loud you should be fine.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#216679 - 10/03/04 09:13 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
thyger wrote: "I have not been seriously considering a C3 is the salesman keeps saying I would be unhappy with that big of a piano in a 16x14 room. I neglected to mention the room has a flat 8' ceiling. He claims the piano will be uncomfortably and unpleasantly loud in that size room, and I will have to take extraordinary measures to quiet it down."
I really don't see a 16'x14' room as a problem for a 6'1" piano, the 8' ceiling will help. If your room "opens up" to an adjacent room, just place the piano such that the lid opens towards the biggest space. Otherwise, a thick rug under the piano, whole floor carpeting, window curtains, fabric wall hangings, upholstered furniture, etc. any of these will absorb sound. Seeing that the salesman was steering you away from the most expensive item on your list, he's either very well-meaning (very likely) or he doesn't have a C3 in stock to sell you (just cynicism on my part). ;\)

#216680 - 10/04/04 06:27 AM Re: which Yamaha should I buy?
Ghost Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi, Thyger,
I just a GB1 about 2 weeks ago (I'll post photos as soon as I can). All I can say is I love it. I have a 20' x 16' space with a vaulted ceiling and it sounds great. Mellower with the lid down; sharper and more defined with the lid up. Go with what sounds and feels good to you.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to practice the piano without a piano
by Hugh Sung
03/03/15 10:52 AM
the 1878 Steinway at the U. of I. - a recent performance
by Michael Sayers
03/03/15 10:41 AM
Tension buildup when learning a new piece slowly
by Ben Boule
03/03/15 09:59 AM
8 -------
by ster100
03/03/15 09:53 AM
How to give a puny-looking digital piano more stage presence
by Honkytonkman
03/03/15 09:07 AM
Forum Stats
78,379 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,035 Topics
2,379,129 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission