Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2164835 - 10/11/13 11:15 AM Synth suggestion
david_ka Offline

Loc: Sweden
I will probably buy the CP4 if I like it and it will be used as a stage piano of course, with focus on the piano. I´m thinkin of keeping my nord electro 3 for organ stuff, but I would also like to have more synth sounds, and for some reason I find it hard to use the sounds in the sample libary. I would like to tweak the sounds so they will sound just as I like.
I´m not an organ player so if the organ sounds OK in the CP4 I might skip the electro and get a small synth.
The perfect synth for me should be small, doesn´t need a lot of keys, or no keys at all since I can control it with the stage piano.
Any suggestion? A small synth with big sounds:) I´m not the typical synth/electro kind of guy, we play more pop music but some synth sounds can be cool to use.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2165572 - 10/13/13 08:41 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I recently purchase the Yamaha MOX6. It's 61 keys and very lightweight. But the thing can do tons, and the sounds I really enjoy. You can and should tweak them a lot, not just with effects but the components that make up the sound itself to get just the sound you want. There's a big learning curve, and that's something I'm still overcoming, but I'm really pleased with what I bought.

Yamaha has just come out with the MOXF, so you should be able to get the MOX6 for a decent price used as people upgrade. What's your budget?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2165597 - 10/13/13 09:59 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: Morodiene]
Ben Crosland Online   content

Loc: Worcester, UK
Virus TI

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#2165621 - 10/13/13 11:26 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
I don't own this but recently heard the Casio XW-P1 is about $400 and it has a ton of features. I was quite impressed with the sounds and capabilities. It does have 61 keys but is fairly light.
I'm not usually a big casio fan but this product as well as their new PX 5S (which has 88 keys and much of the features of the XW P1) has really impressed me. I am strongly considering one of these items myself.

#2165652 - 10/13/13 12:52 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
Darsho Offline

Novation Mininova (velocity-sensitive 3-octave minikeys) $500

or if you want a 37-full-size-keys version with a built in audio interface and aftertouch, the Ultranova. Sells for $700 but a couple of years ago I got mine around Black Friday for $550:

#2165827 - 10/13/13 11:18 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:
. . . A small synth with big sounds:)

Korg MicroKorg? MicroKorg XL?

There are lots of Youtube videos. A tiny box, with amazing sounds coming out.

If you're using another physical keyboard, the tiny, soft-bottoming keys won't be a problem.

. Charles

#2165898 - 10/14/13 03:53 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
If your band has reached the point where you have an effects rack on stage with you, you could consider a rack-mount VST host. As well as MIDIing in the stage paino, they can be controlled on stage with a little (or big!) touch-screen for example. Then you can have any synth effects you like from Moog emulations through FM to multi-timbral etc.

(After all, you didn't mention budget limitations smile )

#2165921 - 10/14/13 06:11 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
Ben Crosland Online   content

Loc: Worcester, UK
Missed the "small" bit - check out a virus TI Snow. It sounds exactly the same as its bigger cousins, and the library of sounds is absolutely huge.

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#2166011 - 10/14/13 11:13 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: de cajon]
david_ka Offline

What kind of vst host would you recommend? I was thinkin of getting the cp4 but if there is a vst host that can use for example Ivory piano with a midiklav or a cheaper stagepiano that could be interesting.

#2166056 - 10/14/13 01:03 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
de cajon Offline

Originally Posted By: david_ka
What kind of vst host would you recommend?...

Ah, now there's a very tricky question. I'm struggling with that myself at this very moment. It's bad enough trying to choose a VST host for multi-tracking. For live performance it's even more difficult. For Apple, I'm told it's easy - Mainstage. But I'm hooked into Windows - I don't necessarily like it - but that how it is.

There was Karsyn. My Open Labs production station came with an in-house Karsyn replacement: Riff, superceded by MOS. But they crash all the time; they're a non-starter. Some people use Ableton Live, but AFAICS that's still a DAW and switching from song to song, or set to set takes too long. (Riff and MOS, when they're working switch in an instant. You can even be holding a chord at the end of one song, click (touchscreen) the button for the next setup, and when you let go of the chord and play the next note, you're in the next "song". A "song" is just a bunch of loaded instruments, effects chains, keysplits and MIDI patches.)

Cantabile was looking interesting. But one poster said that development of it had stopped. And, looking at Cantabile's web site, the last revision seemed to be May 2012.

I'm just about to look into Bloxpander. But as of now, I know nothing about it.

#2166064 - 10/14/13 01:14 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: de cajon]
david_ka Offline

Oh, that sounds complicated:) maybe I'll use hardware piano + hardware synth instead.
I'm also thinkin' of the nord lead 2x, maybe it could be what I' m searching for.

#2166125 - 10/14/13 02:19 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
david_ka Offline

Anyone tried the DSI mopho keyboard?

#2166223 - 10/14/13 05:31 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
HG1 Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I use a Nord Stage 2 and Virus Ti Snow. Run the Stage 2 through the Ti's inputs (normally dry, but can also apply effects). Only two inputs to FoH for gigs with no extra mixer. I put the Ti on a music stand with Industrial Velco.

Key is to use the Stage 2 Extern panel to MIDI the Ti voices. You should be able to use the Electro as a controller in a similar way layering or separate from the Electro voice.

#2166498 - 10/15/13 05:22 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
de cajon Offline

Just for the sake of completeness, I see that Forte (from Brainspawn) is another live performance VST host. It's more expensive than Bloxpander, however; which is more expensive than Cantabile.

#2166702 - 10/15/13 03:03 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
RonL Offline

try before you buy - and ask if you want a synth or a rompler that can make synth sounds. I had a TI and it is thing of beauty but for just all around giggin I would get something like a Motif whatever - there is a MX49 I think that might be ok.You can also get great deals on things like the K2661....

#2167977 - 10/18/13 04:01 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
david_ka Offline

I have found a cheap used Akai Miniak, it´s so cheap and is supposed to be quite good so I hade to buy it.

#2168702 - 10/19/13 10:12 PM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
If you want everything ...just get a Integra7

#2168793 - 10/20/13 06:37 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
david_ka Offline

Yes the integra could be something, what about the organ sounds, cav you use change the drawbars if there is "drawbars" on the keyboard?
What would be a good midi-keyboard for the integra7. I want good weigted keys.

#2168799 - 10/20/13 07:00 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: david_ka]
de cajon Offline

It doesn't look like there's any drawbar support built in. Not going by this YouTube video explaining deep MIDI wizardry in order to get drawbar control over the Integra7.

(But if you had a rack-mount VST host, smile , you could have the VB3 Hammond modeller and assuming you can find one, have a MIDI drawbar controller. I just bid on eBay on a Native Instruments drawbar controller but lost. NI don't make them any more frown . It's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to make my own.)

#2168832 - 10/20/13 08:59 AM Re: Synth suggestion [Re: Dr Popper]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
If you want everything ...just get a Integra7

though you do need an iPad if you want the kind of synth control interactivity you can from a typical "knobby" synth.

Yes the integra could be something, what about the organ sounds, cav you use change the drawbars if there is "drawbars" on the keyboard?

Possibly, but not necessarily easily, as referenced in that youtube video above. You have to be able to program your "drawbars" to send sysex.

What would be a good midi-keyboard for the integra7. I want good weigted keys.

If organ playing is a concern, weighted keys are generally not the way to go. But that's also why so many people prefer two keyboards, weighted and non, for piano vs. organ playing.

Originally Posted By: de cajon
I just bid on eBay on a Native Instruments drawbar controller but lost. NI don't make them any more frown . It's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to make my own.)

check http://www.oceanbeachdigital.com

Also, the Ferrofish B4000+ can be used as a controller. But unlike the Ocean Beach device, you can't program it to send whatever codes you want, so you need to be able to alter the CC assignments on the receiving end. Also, it has no 5-pin MIDI Out, the out is USB only. But if those aren't problems for you, the drawbars themselves are more "authentic" than on the Ocean Beach, and the unit has additional knobs that send out MIDI CC which can be used to alter other parameters besides the drawbars (percussion, C/V, click, whatever). Plus it has its own organ sound built in, which could be useful as a fallback in a gigging situation.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (36251, 255, A Guy, ajames, 48 invisible), 1456 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157145 Topics
2307923 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
theme and variations trivia question
by beet31425
9 minutes 51 seconds ago
1950s Zimmermann
by MaxR
Today at 02:17 PM
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
Today at 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
Today at 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
Today at 11:56 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission