Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2166788 - 10/15/13 06:23 PM Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos
Young Chang USA Offline

Loc: Cypress, CA
Hello all!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce ourselves to the forum. We are Young Chang/Weber Pianos.

Thanks!
YCNA

Edited by Ken Knapp (10/16/13 07:13 AM)
Edit Reason: Removed most of advertising.
https://www.facebook.com/YoungChangWeberPianos

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2166799 - 10/15/13 07:00 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Welcome to the Piano World Forums!

I'd like to see more piano industry participants here... smile

Best regards,

Rick

P.S. Per PW rules, you must state your piano industry affiliation in your member signature, although your forum name is rather obvious. smile

Oh, and one more thing, I’d encourage you to consider purchasing a formal ad here on PW. I also think that would be good to promote your latest products.

#2166923 - 10/15/13 11:50 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
shaolin95 Offline

Cool to have Young Chang here..since I have one laugh

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2167643 - 10/17/13 10:28 AM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
I have a question whose answer will not violate forum advertising rules. It's hard to tell from the website which of the YC/AW/W piano models are Fandrich designs. Is there a way to tell from the model #s or serial numbers?

Kurt

#2169975 - 10/22/13 10:35 AM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
And the follow-up question:

When are y'all going to ship the larger grands?

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#2170285 - 10/22/13 08:57 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I'd like to know who is representing Young Chang. It's a bit odd to consider conversing with a corporate entity.

Are corporations people too?

#2170738 - 10/23/13 04:44 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
shaolin95 Offline

Does not look like a very active representation so far smirk

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2170753 - 10/23/13 05:06 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: shaolin95
Does not look like a very active representation so far smirk

I guess my open-arms welcome didn’t work… smile

Or, the post was just an attempt at a quickie/freebee ad on PW all along (as some suspected).

I didn’t think I was quite so gullible; but, we live and learn. smile

Rick

#2178616 - 11/07/13 06:16 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Or, the post was just an attempt at a quickie/freebee ad on PW all along (as some suspected).

I didn't see it this way. Just because someone introduces himself to me doesn't mean I'll buy from him or am even interested. Wonder if anybody feels differently...

Accordingly, please allow me to ask these questions:

Why should someone consider a Young Chang in today's market?
What gives the piano an edge - if at all?
What makes the piano different from others?
Some of the grands have been recently re-developed by Dell Fandrich: I personally found them very nice indeed.
How about the larger grands, anything new?
How about the uprights?
Any new developments for tonal improvement?

Which pianos would you recommend worth testing and comparing against others at next January's NAMM in Anaheim?

Hoping these questions were fair and to the point.

many thanks

Norbert smile

#2178689 - 11/07/13 08:24 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Norbert]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Norbert
I didn't see it this way. Just because someone introduces himself to me doesn't mean I'll buy from him or am even interested. Wonder if anybody feels differently...

Norbert,

Did you see the posting before it was edited (deleted) by Ken Knapp?

It was nothing more than an ad from a "corporate entity."

-- Actually, I would like to try one of the new YC's that Del has designed.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2178691 - 11/07/13 08:26 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Minnesota Marty]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

-- Actually, I would like to try one of the new YC's that Del has designed.

Do it. The 150cm models are great!
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2178694 - 11/07/13 08:30 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Thanks Beethoven986,

I just haven't been to a YC dealer recently. I curious to hear if there is any "Walter" in the tonal structure.

#2179059 - 11/08/13 01:09 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Norbert]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
While I am not an employee of either Young Chang or YCNA—I am an independent design and manufacturing consultant—I can answer some of the technical questions you pose. Sales and marketing questions will have to be fielded by others.

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Why should someone consider a Young Chang in today's market?
What gives the piano an edge - if at all?
What makes the piano different from others?

Timbral balance, dynamics and tone.

I put a lot of effort into improving the tone quality—the timbre—of these pianos across their entire compass but particularly through the bass and low tenor areas of the shorter scales.

I removed all of the bass bridge cantilevers to improve energy transfer efficiency. I moved the bridges forward on all scales and floated the soundboard around the lower end of the bass bridges. Moving the bridge did shorten the speaking lengths moderately but it also dramatically increased the backscale length giving the bridge/soundboard assembly greater freedom of motion in the low bass. Moving the hitchpin panels further back on the redesigned string frames also helped to increase the backscale length though the low bass.

I have reduced inharmonicity in the bass so that the frequency of the shorter partials (higher harmonics) is closer to that of the fundamental for improved pitch identification. During normal play the cumulative result of all of these changes results in a tone quality through the entire bass that the ear—brain, actually—is able more quickly identify the pitch of the individual notes.

I also put a lot of effort into balancing the string scaling with the impedance characteristics of the soundboard system to make the bass-to-tenor transition as smooth as possible. In most cases this is now what I call “musically transparent.” That is, while a technician skilled at voicing (and analyzing the timbre of piano notes) can probably pick out the transitions, it will be the rare pianist who will be able to do so without looking.

All grands, large and small, use cutoff bars on the soundboard system. And all of the grands use inserts—a piece I call a “fish” due to its shape—in the treble sections to shape—and reduce the size of—the vibrating area of the soundboard.

In scaling the pianos I reduced the overall string tensions. This allows—requires—the use of lighter and more flexible soundboard systems along with lighter and more resilient hammers. This latter requirement necessitated significant changes in how the hammers are pressed. It is a lot easier to simply crank out heavy, dense hammers than it is to walk that fine between hammers that are too soft and mushy to be of any practical use and hammers that are too hard to develop the desired tone quality. Quantifying hammer performance—in short, putting a number on it—led me to develop a new method of testing production hammers for resiliency. (There will be more about this over the next year or so as I introduce it to technicians through the Journal and in seminars and conferences.)

The actions have not changed much. The geometry of the wippens was always very close to that of comparable Renner parts, now it is identical. The overall action ratio has been changed to lighten up the touch a bit.

Piano design features do not work in isolation; they are integrated systems that, at their best, should have a certain synergy. (Those who have attended any of my recent seminars will be familiar with my Design Triad philosophy in which I stress the importance of balancing all of the various elements of piano design.) All of the changes made to these pianos have been designed to work together (at least to the best of my ability to make them so). In terms of perceived sound pressure they may not sound as loud as their predecessors (or some competitive instruments) but this is the tradeoff you get when you reduce the amount of energy in the (mostly high-partial) attack power spike and put more of it into the fundamental and lower partials. In the smaller rooms in which these pianos are expected to be used power is never a big issue but timbral diversity is. The overall result is significant is some areas—the low bass, for example—and more subtle in others but the overall effect has been an across-the-board improvement in musicality; that elusive character that draws a pianist back to a specific instrument.

This is probably more than you ever wanted to read on the subject—but you did ask!

Quote:
Some of the grands have been recently re-developed by Dell Fandrich: I personally found them very nice indeed.
How about the larger grands, anything new?

The large grands have also been redesigned. The market for small grands is much larger than it is for large grands so the emphasis has been on getting the smaller pianos refined and in full production. Some of the larger pianos are available in some markets but I don’t know which. As I wrote earlier, I don’t actually work for the company and I don’t follow marketing and production strategies all that closely. Someone from the company will have to respond to specific questions on availability.

Quote:
How about the uprights?
Any new developments for tonal improvement?

The same design concepts used in the short grands are being incorporated into the vertical piano designs.

[quote]Which pianos would you recommend worth testing and comparing against others at next January's NAMM in Anaheim?
Assuming I will be at the coming NAMM show look me up and I’ll give you a guided tour.

Ddf

Edited by Del (11/08/13 03:27 PM)
Edit Reason: Added content
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2179063 - 11/08/13 01:15 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks Beethoven986,

I just haven't been to a YC dealer recently. I curious to hear if there is any "Walter" in the tonal structure.

Obviously there will be some; I haven't changed my mind much on what constitutes good piano tone. Bearing in mind that the Walter designs were clean -- that is, they were completely new designs -- while the YC pianos were all redesigns of existing pianos. When you start clean there are things you can do that are impossible with any redesign no matter how extensive it might be. (This will also be reflected in the price....)

ddf

#2179069 - 11/08/13 01:26 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Thanks Del!

Your explanations are always clear and understandable to the non-technicians. Your participation in this forum is greatly appreciated.

We love to learn from you!

#2179074 - 11/08/13 01:31 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks Del!

Your explanations are always clear and understandable to the non-technicians. Your participation in this forum is greatly appreciated.

We love to learn from you!

Thank you and you're welcome.

ddf

#2179086 - 11/08/13 01:52 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Jazzbite Offline

Hey Del,

In regards to the uprights, are the floating soundboards being implemented on the larger uprights too? I thought at the 48" and 52" range, the bass was supposed to be pretty big already and too much base could overwhelm the treble.

When you get up to the big 48" and 52" high grade Albert Webers, has much changed since your re-design?

Thanks!

#2179095 - 11/08/13 02:07 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Just noticed this thread. Too bad it looks to just be a quick promotional post. I have a 6'1 YC Pramberger (which I love). Is Pramberger still associated with YC?

#2179097 - 11/08/13 02:12 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Young Chang USA Offline

Thank you Del for answering those technical questions. Going forward, we will be monitoring this forum daily and responding to all inquiries.

We are currently working on a website redesign as our current site has experienced some issues. Please know that we are working diligently to improve our presence on the net.

Young Chang has recently produced and published a brief video describing the new Delwin Fandrich redesign elements. It can be found on YouTube titled "Young Chang New Piano Design". It is our hope that this will help explain the newly redesigned Young Chang and Weber Piano lines.

Thank you for your patience. We enjoy hearing from you and welcome all comments and questions.

#2179098 - 11/08/13 02:13 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Peyton]
Young Chang USA Offline

No Peyton, Young Chang is no longer affiliated with the Pramberger line.

#2179100 - 11/08/13 02:16 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Peyton]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Peyton
Just noticed this thread. Too bad it looks to just be a quick promotional post. I have a 6'1 YC Pramberger (which I love). Is Pramberger still associated with YC?

Depends on what you mean by "associated with." grin After Joe Pramberger passed away a few years ago, YC maintained the Pramberger designs - but the Pramberger "name" is now used by Samick.

#2179110 - 11/08/13 02:43 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: carey]
Jazzbite Offline

Question for YCNA:

1. Is the old Pramberger JP-48 the same design and quality of materials as the Albert Weber 48" upright (before Del Fandrich redesigned it)?

2. Are the newly re-designed Albert Weber 48" uprights being shipped now?

3. What are the differences in design for the newly redesigned Albert Weber verticals in 48" an 52"? It seems when speaking about re-design, usually the focus is on the smaller grands and smaller verticals. I'm asking about just the 48" and 52" verticals.

#2179115 - 11/08/13 02:58 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Jazzbite]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jazzbite
In regards to the uprights, are the floating soundboards being implemented on the larger uprights too? I thought at the 48" and 52" range, the bass was supposed to be pretty big already and too much base could overwhelm the treble.

When you get up to the big 48" and 52" high grade Albert Webers, has much changed since your re-design?

All of the new verticals, including the 48" and the 52" (actually, it's closer to 51") will have sections of the soundboard around the end of the bass bridge that float. In fact, the overall design of the verticals share pretty much all of the new design features.

I wasn't looking for a "big" bass I was looking for pitch clarity and timbral dynamics.

ddf

#2179124 - 11/08/13 03:11 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Peyton]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton

Sorry if it seems that way. I delayed posting anything to this topic for some time. For two reasons. First, I find topics and posts that are primarily sales, marketing and/or promotional in nature out of place on this form. I try to avoid getting involved in them. I generally come in only when technical questions are asked.

Second, I'm not an employee of YC or YCNA and have no financial interest in whether they sell or not. My compensation for this project has been strictly "fee for service." Writing this stuff takes time and I don’t have a whole lot of it left to waste. So I tend to pick my involvement carefully.

But the questions were asked. And, while I receive no financial compensation for writing any of this, I did do the redesign work on these pianos. Some of the features that are going into these pianos are—so far—unique to these instruments and the various claims and counter-claims that go into the average sales pitch can be confusing. I appreciate the courage YC exhibited in being willing to step outside the normal “me-too” norms of what passes for modern piano design. I will continue to try to stretch the boundaries of the status quo for as long as I am able and I understand that sometimes that will involve explaining what is being done and why.

ddf

#2179143 - 11/08/13 03:24 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Jazzbite]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

… What are the differences in design for the newly redesigned Albert Weber verticals in 48" an 52"? It seems when speaking about re-design, usually the focus is on the smaller grands and smaller verticals. I'm asking about just the 48" and 52" verticals.

The same basic design principles are used in both grand and vertical designs.

Bass bridge cantilevers have been removed. The soundboards float for some distance around the low end of the bass bridges. How long this float is and its precise location varies with the height of the piano and its string architecture. The bridges themselves have been relocated for longer backscales. String frames have been redesigned. Etc.

All pianos, including the grands, now use extensive cutoff bars to reduce the vibrating area of the soundboard system.

Action geometry is being refined and new hammers are being developed. As we speak….

One thing unique to the larger uprights is the rearrangement of the action centers (spacing along the hammer strike line). I laid out a new scalestick through the bass and tenor sections to provide a bit more space between the bass and tenor sections. This allows for a straight hammerline; it is not necessary to raise the hammerline through the lowest few notes in the tenor section to provide for a damper of reasonable size.

ddf

#2179156 - 11/08/13 03:32 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Jazzbite]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

None of the changes I've made were done to increase the acoustical power of the bass. They are intended to increase the pitch clarity and to better blend the bass timbre to that of the low tenor.

Quote:

I've gone into this more in another post but quite a lot has changed between then and now. As I said there, the design philosophy of both grand and vertical are similar. Design details may differ but the principles stay the same.

ddf

#2179172 - 11/08/13 03:50 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: Young Chang USA
Going forward, we will be monitoring this forum daily and responding to all inquiries.

We are currently working on a website redesign as our current site has experienced some issues. Please know that we are working diligently to improve our presence on the net.

Young Chang has recently produced and published a brief video describing the new Delwin Fandrich redesign elements. It can be found on YouTube titled "Young Chang New Piano Design". It is our hope that this will help explain the newly redesigned Young Chang and Weber Piano lines.

Thank you for your patience. We enjoy hearing from you and welcome all comments and questions.

Dear whoeveryouare,

First of all, thank you for posting your industry affiliation in your member signature line.

Secondly, a word of advice… it would be in your (and YC USA) best interest to use your real name. Many of the industry pros here do… for example, Bob Snider is a Steinway & Son rep and he has the guts and integrity to use his real name and can be addressed directly as a real person. To use a corporate name like Young Chang USA is rather out of place for an internet forum like PW, as Del mentioned.

Thirdly, you are very fortunate that this thread is still here due to the marketing overture that it apparently is…

By-the-way, my real name is Ricky Henson… no kin to Jim Henson (creator of the Muppets) that I know of… smile

Rick

#2179184 - 11/08/13 03:59 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
[quote]Which pianos would you recommend worth testing and comparing against others at next January's NAMM in Anaheim?
Assuming I will be at the coming NAMM show look me up and I’ll give you a guided tour.

I shall be looking forward for this.

Perhaps we can also compare notes at that time when playing the pianos. To me, this is what it's all about.

Notwithstanding possibly different tastes, "tasting the food" is always the acid test after all the cooking is done!

Norbert thumb

#2179206 - 11/08/13 04:24 PM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Rickster]
Young Chang USA Offline

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your response. My name is Chris Cairns and I am the marketing lead for Young Chang North America. It was not my intent to overtly promote on this forum. Going forward I will monitor this forum for inquires and pass on any news/updates deemed appropriate.

I want to also thank Del once again for his participation in this thread.

#2179396 - 11/09/13 12:21 AM Re: Hello from Young Chang/Weber Pianos [Re: Young Chang USA]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
Del, Thanks for all the detailed information and explanations!
It's interesting to learn about all the nuanced detail behind the design decision. I think I learned a lot reading through this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
73 registered (Allard, Ben_NZ, barbaram, Alux, bennevis, 16 invisible), 1086 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318698 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission