2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Y
OP Offline
Y
Hello all!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce ourselves to the forum. We are Young Chang/Weber Pianos.

Thanks!
YCNA

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 10/16/13 07:13 AM. Reason: Removed most of advertising.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the Piano World Forums!

I'd like to see more piano industry participants here... smile

Best regards,

Rick

P.S. Per PW rules, you must state your piano industry affiliation in your member signature, although your forum name is rather obvious. smile

Oh, and one more thing, I’d encourage you to consider purchasing a formal ad here on PW. I also think that would be good to promote your latest products.

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cool to have Young Chang here..since I have one laugh

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I have a question whose answer will not violate forum advertising rules. It's hard to tell from the website which of the YC/AW/W piano models are Fandrich designs. Is there a way to tell from the model #s or serial numbers?

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
And the follow-up question:

When are y'all going to ship the larger grands?

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'd like to know who is representing Young Chang. It's a bit odd to consider conversing with a corporate entity.

Are corporations people too?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Does not look like a very active representation so far smirk

Originally Posted by shaolin95
Does not look like a very active representation so far smirk

I guess my open-arms welcome didn’t work… smile

Or, the post was just an attempt at a quickie/freebee ad on PW all along (as some suspected).

I didn’t think I was quite so gullible; but, we live and learn. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Or, the post was just an attempt at a quickie/freebee ad on PW all along (as some suspected).

I didn't see it this way. Just because someone introduces himself to me doesn't mean I'll buy from him or am even interested. Wonder if anybody feels differently...

Accordingly, please allow me to ask these questions:

Why should someone consider a Young Chang in today's market?
What gives the piano an edge - if at all?
What makes the piano different from others?
Some of the grands have been recently re-developed by Dell Fandrich: I personally found them very nice indeed.
How about the larger grands, anything new?
How about the uprights?
Any new developments for tonal improvement?

Which pianos would you recommend worth testing and comparing against others at next January's NAMM in Anaheim?

Hoping these questions were fair and to the point.

many thanks

Norbert smile

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
I didn't see it this way. Just because someone introduces himself to me doesn't mean I'll buy from him or am even interested. Wonder if anybody feels differently...

Norbert,

Did you see the posting before it was edited (deleted) by Ken Knapp?

It was nothing more than an ad from a "corporate entity."

-- Actually, I would like to try one of the new YC's that Del has designed.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

-- Actually, I would like to try one of the new YC's that Del has designed.

Do it. The 150cm models are great!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Beethoven986,

I just haven't been to a YC dealer recently. I curious to hear if there is any "Walter" in the tonal structure.

Marty in Minnesota

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
While I am not an employee of either Young Chang or YCNA—I am an independent design and manufacturing consultant—I can answer some of the technical questions you pose. Sales and marketing questions will have to be fielded by others.

Originally Posted by Norbert
Why should someone consider a Young Chang in today's market?
What gives the piano an edge - if at all?
What makes the piano different from others?

Timbral balance, dynamics and tone.

I put a lot of effort into improving the tone quality—the timbre—of these pianos across their entire compass but particularly through the bass and low tenor areas of the shorter scales.

I removed all of the bass bridge cantilevers to improve energy transfer efficiency. I moved the bridges forward on all scales and floated the soundboard around the lower end of the bass bridges. Moving the bridge did shorten the speaking lengths moderately but it also dramatically increased the backscale length giving the bridge/soundboard assembly greater freedom of motion in the low bass. Moving the hitchpin panels further back on the redesigned string frames also helped to increase the backscale length though the low bass.

I have reduced inharmonicity in the bass so that the frequency of the shorter partials (higher harmonics) is closer to that of the fundamental for improved pitch identification. During normal play the cumulative result of all of these changes results in a tone quality through the entire bass that the ear—brain, actually—is able more quickly identify the pitch of the individual notes.

I also put a lot of effort into balancing the string scaling with the impedance characteristics of the soundboard system to make the bass-to-tenor transition as smooth as possible. In most cases this is now what I call “musically transparent.” That is, while a technician skilled at voicing (and analyzing the timbre of piano notes) can probably pick out the transitions, it will be the rare pianist who will be able to do so without looking.

All grands, large and small, use cutoff bars on the soundboard system. And all of the grands use inserts—a piece I call a “fish” due to its shape—in the treble sections to shape—and reduce the size of—the vibrating area of the soundboard.

In scaling the pianos I reduced the overall string tensions. This allows—requires—the use of lighter and more flexible soundboard systems along with lighter and more resilient hammers. This latter requirement necessitated significant changes in how the hammers are pressed. It is a lot easier to simply crank out heavy, dense hammers than it is to walk that fine between hammers that are too soft and mushy to be of any practical use and hammers that are too hard to develop the desired tone quality. Quantifying hammer performance—in short, putting a number on it—led me to develop a new method of testing production hammers for resiliency. (There will be more about this over the next year or so as I introduce it to technicians through the Journal and in seminars and conferences.)

The actions have not changed much. The geometry of the wippens was always very close to that of comparable Renner parts, now it is identical. The overall action ratio has been changed to lighten up the touch a bit.

Piano design features do not work in isolation; they are integrated systems that, at their best, should have a certain synergy. (Those who have attended any of my recent seminars will be familiar with my Design Triad philosophy in which I stress the importance of balancing all of the various elements of piano design.) All of the changes made to these pianos have been designed to work together (at least to the best of my ability to make them so). In terms of perceived sound pressure they may not sound as loud as their predecessors (or some competitive instruments) but this is the tradeoff you get when you reduce the amount of energy in the (mostly high-partial) attack power spike and put more of it into the fundamental and lower partials. In the smaller rooms in which these pianos are expected to be used power is never a big issue but timbral diversity is. The overall result is significant is some areas—the low bass, for example—and more subtle in others but the overall effect has been an across-the-board improvement in musicality; that elusive character that draws a pianist back to a specific instrument.

This is probably more than you ever wanted to read on the subject—but you did ask!

Some of the grands have been recently re-developed by Dell Fandrich: I personally found them very nice indeed.
How about the larger grands, anything new?

The large grands have also been redesigned. The market for small grands is much larger than it is for large grands so the emphasis has been on getting the smaller pianos refined and in full production. Some of the larger pianos are available in some markets but I don’t know which. As I wrote earlier, I don’t actually work for the company and I don’t follow marketing and production strategies all that closely. Someone from the company will have to respond to specific questions on availability.

How about the uprights?
Any new developments for tonal improvement?

The same design concepts used in the short grands are being incorporated into the vertical piano designs.

[quote]Which pianos would you recommend worth testing and comparing against others at next January's NAMM in Anaheim?
Assuming I will be at the coming NAMM show look me up and I’ll give you a guided tour.

Ddf

Last edited by Del; 11/08/13 04:27 PM. Reason: Added content

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks Beethoven986,

I just haven't been to a YC dealer recently. I curious to hear if there is any "Walter" in the tonal structure.

Obviously there will be some; I haven't changed my mind much on what constitutes good piano tone. Bearing in mind that the Walter designs were clean -- that is, they were completely new designs -- while the YC pianos were all redesigns of existing pianos. When you start clean there are things you can do that are impossible with any redesign no matter how extensive it might be. (This will also be reflected in the price....)

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Del!

Your explanations are always clear and understandable to the non-technicians. Your participation in this forum is greatly appreciated.

We love to learn from you!

Marty in Minnesota

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks Del!

Your explanations are always clear and understandable to the non-technicians. Your participation in this forum is greatly appreciated.

We love to learn from you!

Thank you and you're welcome.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

J
J
Hey Del,

In regards to the uprights, are the floating soundboards being implemented on the larger uprights too? I thought at the 48" and 52" range, the bass was supposed to be pretty big already and too much base could overwhelm the treble.

When you get up to the big 48" and 52" high grade Albert Webers, has much changed since your re-design?

Thanks!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just noticed this thread. Too bad it looks to just be a quick promotional post. I have a 6'1 YC Pramberger (which I love). Is Pramberger still associated with YC?

Y
OP Offline
Y
Thank you Del for answering those technical questions. Going forward, we will be monitoring this forum daily and responding to all inquiries.

We are currently working on a website redesign as our current site has experienced some issues. Please know that we are working diligently to improve our presence on the net.

Young Chang has recently produced and published a brief video describing the new Delwin Fandrich redesign elements. It can be found on YouTube titled "Young Chang New Piano Design". It is our hope that this will help explain the newly redesigned Young Chang and Weber Piano lines.

Thank you for your patience. We enjoy hearing from you and welcome all comments and questions.

Y
OP Offline
Y
No Peyton, Young Chang is no longer affiliated with the Pramberger line.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission