2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hi there. I'm the happy owner of a Yamaha CLP 430. Great sound, great tactile feel... however something leaves me a bit puzzled.
On the official webiste and others, the sampling technology is said to be RGE. However on the website of the store I bought it from, and in the user guide (that is the user guide for the entire CLP 400 series; that the salesman handed to me separately from the piano), it is said the 400 series has AWM sampling. Could there be like an old and a new 400 series? That souds quite odd... f
Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
There are a number of pianos in the 400 series. Some of them have already been discontinued, and some of them probably did use AWM. So the pamphlet is probably just out of date and the local website is probably wrong.

BTW we don't know a whole lot about these tone engines. It's not clear how distinct they are. On a technical level it is possible that RGE is an AWM tone engine. I wouldn't be able to tell you if that's wrong or not. RGE could simply be AWM sampling with some extra funsies added in.

All that stuff is kind of marketing speak, so you can't really rely on it meaning something.

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/15/13 06:50 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think the 430 is quite new in the 400 series. So no conflict, just confusing to read an old leaflet for the range. I wouldn't get hung up on it, as gv says it's marketing description to bolster description of underlying technology.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by gvfarns
There are a number of pianos in the 400 series. Some of them have already been discontinued, and some of them probably did use AWM. So the pamphlet is probably just out of date and the local website is probably wrong.

Yes, there are a number of them, but they're all supposed to work with RGE technology. The ones working with AWM are older clavinovas products, like the 300 generation. The thing is, the manual says AWM for all the 400 series. I checked online and it only says so in the italian guide (mine). Weird....
Originally Posted by gvfarns
BTW we don't know a whole lot about these tone engines. It's not clear how distinct they are. On a technical level it is possible that RGE is an AWM tone engine. I wouldn't be able to tell you if that's wrong or not. RGE could simply be AWM sampling with some extra funsies added in.
All that stuff is kind of marketing speak, so you can't really rely on it meaning something.

That's possible indeed.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The term "AWM" is old, dating from the 1990s.
So they changed the name to "RGE" a couple of years ago.

Has anything really changed? They claim that the RGE samples come from a different piano. But besides that my guess is that only the name has changed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission