Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2167009 - 10/16/13 06:21 AM Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread.
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
There's going to be one right?? Just wondering as the usual "one month to recital" thread hasn't popped up

Edited by -Frycek (10/16/13 06:52 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2167014 - 10/16/13 06:42 AM Re: The Novenber Quarterly Recilal??? [Re: -Frycek]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Well, I guess THIS is the "2 weeks to recital" thread smile

I have my piece up to scratch! Just need to get it recorded now smile

#2167015 - 10/16/13 06:43 AM Re: The Novenber Quarterly Recilal??? [Re: -Frycek]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

You may want to edit the title though grin

#2167044 - 10/16/13 07:59 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Oh no! I am so not ready - and time rolls inexorably onward...

Sam

#2167076 - 10/16/13 09:03 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Decisions, decisions. Two pieces are in a recordable state. One comes across much better live but I'm thinking it might not have the same feel on a recording. Guess I'll have to spend the next few weeks recording them both and toss a coin ....

Kawai K3

#2167082 - 10/16/13 09:24 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
I'm not fully up to tempo yet, but on track to get there. I'm really looking forward to this recital and getting my piece recorded. It seems like I have been working on it for ages.

#2167100 - 10/16/13 09:50 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I've got my piece ready to start recording; the piano: less so. The last couple of weeks has seen the transition from summer to most definitely fall, and my tuning has definitely been affected. Time to call my tech.

#2167119 - 10/16/13 10:46 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
What???? confused I still have to decide between two pieces... there's no time to work on both pieces now. Time to choose one of them, to polish it, and to do a proper record.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2167190 - 10/16/13 12:55 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the reminder

Had my piano tuned and recorded last week already laugh That way I could nicely combine it with a recital. Nevertheless my piano does sound a little bit out of tune :-/ I guess it's the turning weather.

#2167373 - 10/16/13 07:03 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
My Recital piece is recorded and ready for submission - it's another beautiful Broadway ballad (via Elton John)...

I also have a piece recorded (or I should say "re-recorded") and waiting for Hunky's Holiday Music Thread, which usually makes it's annual appearance on or about Dec. 1st...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2167757 - 10/17/13 03:38 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Frycek, thanks for starting this thread as I always love the 'one month 'till recital time' threads. I agree with sinophilia in that you probably should change the title because this now IS the 'official' one month thread.

Yes, we are still on top of the mountain and got a 6 inch deep snowfall a few days ago. I was about to put chains on the backhoe and plow the road in (3/4 mile long) but it started to melt so fast that by the time I got everything ready, there was not much left to do! Oh well, next time.

Okay, recital talk now. I can't begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to submitting and performing my next piece. It all started about a month ago when I was listening to Pandora radio (Jim Chappell channel at the time) and I heard this tune called "Letting go" by Isaac Shepard. I can honestly say that I have NEVER gotten goosebumps to the extent I did when I heard this tune. It absolutely overwhelmed me. Why?, simple. This piece has a section that has.....are you ready?.....back, to back,....to back,....to back goose bump bombs all in a row. That's right, forget the past triple goose bump having pieces because this one contains the ever-elusive quad! These goose bump bombs are are SO dramatic that I just tossed whatever I was working on and went straight into the 'whack-a-mole' figure out the notes mode. I had no idea where to start to pick up these notes since this is actually an incredibly challenging piece that has a spread of, well literally the entire keyboard, many times in every single bar! That didn't matter however because I was just WAY to motivated to learn this piece. Nothing was going to stop and get in the way.

There was a few tricky 'speed' moves as in get your fingers from the highest end of the upper register back to one of the lowest notes possible within a millionth of a second because it was the very next note to be played, but I was finally able to work it out thanks to lots of practice, hard work, and a few excedrins. (I go nuts on that stuff,... two excedrins, a bagel,and some iced tea (even more caffeine) and I'm on the former planet known as Pluto for a week! Crap does that combo make for some interesting (and energetic) honky-tonk practice sessions (something I've been dabbling in a bit lately because I can get bored being stuck on top of a mountain with a bunch of Llamas.

Anyway, reeling it in back to the upcoming recital. I want to say that while learning, and now playing this piece, I am constantly thinking of several ABF members every time I play this tune. It is because there are several sections within this tune that remind me of the playing styles of a few members. They are Carlos, Monica, and Peyton.

I should mention that I kept the quadruple goose bump section of the piece almost entirely intact and then changed literally everything else. It's what I do! That's the fun part.

In addition to the people mentioned, I have my sights squarely set on one person. Sinophilia. I am absolutely determined with this piece to 'convert' or at least attempt to convince her that it IS possible to create a beautiful moving and flowing piece that speaks deeply to your inner emotions by just playing right handed melodies with compatible left handed accompanying arpeggios. (albeit highly modified arpeggios). I'm gonna convert you Sinophilia,....you'll see! hehe.

Trapper John, I'm glad you mentioned the upcoming "Holiday performances thread" which usually debuts around Dec 1st.

HINT: Get a jump on some x-mas music and actually have it ready for the holidays. If you wait to start playing holiday music until the holidays, it won't be ready to roll out until Easter! Just sayin'! Trapper, here is your chance to put on a Karen Carpenter Christmas piano show as she has so many nice holiday tunes.

Anyway, that is an update from me. Still same ridiculous satellite internet connection with speeds that rival moss but in a few weeks I'll be back on Cox high speed DSL looking forward to a long awaited internet surfing safari.

#2167776 - 10/17/13 04:40 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I'm in trouble. I don't think the 1st movement of Beethoven Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 is ever going to be in a recordable state. I'm only starting the 2nd movement now. Those 32nd notes are a killer!!!

I might be able to whip up two Scenes of Childhood by Schumann. I've worked on a few of them recently. But, no major piece like the Tchaikovsky June last time. I suppose if it doesn't have to be long, there is always something I can muster. Another problem is that it's been so long since I recorded anything that I hope I still remember how to do it!!

#2167815 - 10/17/13 06:08 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I've got my piece to a more or less submittable state and have a couple of fall back recordings already but am hoping to get a couple of better ones after my piano is tuned tomorrow.

#2167864 - 10/17/13 08:47 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
I heard this tune called "Letting go" by Isaac Shepard. I can honestly say that I have NEVER gotten goosebumps to the extent I did when I heard this tune. It absolutely overwhelmed me. Why?, simple. This piece has a section that has.....are you ready?.....back, to back,....to back,....to back goose bump bombs all in a row.

I have never heard of Isaac Shepard before, or this piece... but when I read your description of it I headed right over to YouTube and listened to it. All I can say is: wow This piece really lives up to the super-hunky hyperbole. I cannot wait to hear what you do with it!

I knew within the first 20 seconds that it was a piece perfectly suited for you, with all those super low bass notes that your BB will own. smile But then I was trying to figure out what section you were referring to that had the quadruple goose bumps. I'm guessing it's the part from 1:58-2:35, because that's the section that had me mesmerized.

#2167915 - 10/17/13 11:45 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Monica, what I am keeping somewhat intact is the first minute of the piece. The dramatic goose bump bombs I am referring to starts at 36 seconds and lasts until 54 seconds. It is something about the dramatic note changes in that section that really did it for me. I just love those dramatic-moving melodies. So much that I created a whole piece around that theme.

The intro reminded me a LOT of several Einaudi tunes as it has that certain sound. I had a hunch you would like it. Carlos will like it too. Plus, there is a section in my version where I just start letting loose. I've got to thank Peyton for the motivation for that.

Good stuff is coming from everyone and it's cheaper than iTunes.

#2167960 - 10/18/13 02:11 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

I have a recording ready, of two minuets that go together and on which I'd love to get feedback... but they are not particularly entertaining, so maybe I will try to record something else. The only non-classical thing I learned in the last three months has already been posted to the piano bar, so it will have to be Baroque I guess...

#2167981 - 10/18/13 04:36 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
If I were you sinophilia I would submit what ever you like. Are we not always telling new people to the forum to submit anything as they will not be judged badly for mistakes or low grade material. Your minuets don't have to be entertaining, but may just well be to anyone who knows the pieces and if you want feedback the recital is a good place to get it. As far as a duplicate with the piano bar, I would not even worry about that.

Just hope the piece I have been learning can somehow magically come together in time.

#2168012 - 10/18/13 07:33 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I heard this tune called "Letting go" by Isaac Shepard. I can honestly say that I have NEVER gotten goosebumps to the extent I did when I heard this tune. It absolutely overwhelmed me. Why?, simple. This piece has a section that has.....are you ready?.....back, to back,....to back,....to back goose bump bombs all in a row.

...I was trying to figure out what section you were referring to that had the quadruple goose bumps. I'm guessing it's the part from 1:58-2:35, because that's the section that had me mesmerized.

I agree with this - it's a lovely piece overall, but the section Monica pinpoints is the most creative and remarkable for me also...although I have to say that I didn't experience any single goosebumps - let alone a quad - even after 3 listen-throughs...must be too old and cynical...or I've been playing too much music from "Les Mis" lately, after which just about everything else seems somewhat anti-climatic...

#2168066 - 10/18/13 10:32 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Anyway, reeling it in back to the upcoming recital. I want to say that while learning, and now playing this piece, I am constantly thinking of several ABF members every time I play this tune. It is because there are several sections within this tune that remind me of the playing styles of a few members. They are Carlos, Monica, and Peyton.

Wow, now I'm really looking forward to listen your piece, Mr Super-Hunky.
I never thought I could "inspire" someone... thumb

I'm struggling with a sinusitis crises which don't let me much conditions to practice as I wanted. I hope to get better soon so I can play and do a nice record.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2168121 - 10/18/13 01:02 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
The Super-Hunky production sounds good to me smile And sinophilia - I *like* minuets. TJ - are you going to record all of Les Mis at some point, on 2 CDs found in stores near us? I'd buy it smile

I think I'm going to do George M Cohan's Yankee Doodle Boy this time. Some friends of mine and I did it for a 4th of July gig a while back, and now I play it for seniors, and they all sing along. This will give me a chance to work at upping the tempo a little bit - it's a march, you know! So I've always played it quite lively, but not quite up to a march. Now's maybe the time, eh?

Cathy

#2168849 - 10/20/13 09:48 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: jotur]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I feel a bit behind the power curve for this recital, but then I have a live recital on November 10th so I guess I will have my piece ready to record before that!! It is learned and memorized, but I am still working on a couple of tricky spots. It is feeling better everyday. I don't think I will be among the early submissions though!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2169272 - 10/21/13 07:11 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm getting both Rufus & Mabel tuned on Friday, then will have to decide which one to use for the recital. I'm hoping that Mabel will sound OK (1st tuning in many many years, and hammers are basically flat and roughly the consistency of bricks), mostly because this will be my 4th recital, and it will be fun to have done each one with a different instrument.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2169275 - 10/21/13 07:15 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: jotur]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
TJ - are you going to record all of Les Mis at some point, on 2 CDs found in stores near us? I'd buy it smile

Cathy

Neither one of us will live that long (it's an extensive and difficult score) - and I'm afraid that in the end (after you heard the final product) I'd have to pay you and others to take copies off my hands laugh

#2169276 - 10/21/13 07:19 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Decisions, decisions. Two pieces are in a recordable state. One comes across much better live but I'm thinking it might not have the same feel on a recording. Guess I'll have to spend the next few weeks recording them both and toss a coin ....

Here's hoping that one is Dr. Gradus... that one is so much fun (to listen, I can't imagine actually playing it).

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2169283 - 10/21/13 07:44 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Ok. As usual, in my retired state of being, dates mean nothing to me.
So, when has our sacrificial offerings have to be in by? And to whom . . . . or who . .? crazy

""

#2169290 - 10/21/13 07:55 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: dynamobt]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: dynamobt
I'm in trouble. I don't think the 1st movement of Beethoven Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 is ever going to be in a recordable state. I'm only starting the 2nd movement now. Those 32nd notes are a killer!!

Ah, we're working on the same piece (though I'm definitely 100% not looking at it for this recital, perhaps February!)

I've just started the second movement and I was happy enough with my progress. By a happy coincidence my classical radio station started playing a piece on my drive in and I thought - ah, second movement to the Sonata. Then I listened to how great the left hand was and thought, ah - a lot of work to do there then. And then I heard those 32nd notes and thought ..........

Hmm, yes. That will be fun!!!

Kawai K3

#2169292 - 10/21/13 07:56 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: peterws]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
Ok. As usual, in my retired state of being, dates mean nothing to me.
So, when has our sacrificial offerings have to be in by? And to whom . . . . or who . .? crazy

On or around the first of the month there will be a call for submissions in this forum - all details of submitting will be in that message. But you can read about it anytime at recitals.pianoworld.com

Then you have until the 15th to submit your recording. Sometime on the 15th the recital goes live and we all get to listen to your playing!

Sam

#2169474 - 10/21/13 12:24 PM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Got one "acceptable" recording after the tuner came Friday and decided that was "it ". Perfect by no means but about as good as it's going to get with ME at the keyboard. I feel like I've been let out of a cage! Now I can practice something else!

#2171137 - 10/24/13 09:24 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: -Frycek]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
OK, so I am psyched to record this weekend. After all, I've done my due diligence, have overcome fingering challenges and worked through the most challenging sections (in isolation) and have everything up to a reasonable tempo (again in isolation.) So, I should be ready, right?

Begin thus, the pre-recording warm up ...

YIKES !

Playing 5 minutes end-to-end with no mistakes and desired expression?

Of course, that is the goal. It all seemed doable and on pace, but now realize I will need plenty of post learning and pre-recording polishing to pull this off.

Good thing there are a few extra weeks buffer. I'd prefer not to use them as I'm anxious to start looking at Joplin, but it may be needed.

At any rate it should be fun ... cursing

#2171143 - 10/24/13 09:48 AM Re: Ok, so this is the UNOFFICIAL one month to recital thread. [Re: Greener]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The piece I want to play is not going well. It has a couple of sections in c# dorian mode. That's what I've been told anyway, and I did look up the dorian mode. Play an octave scale starting on d using only white keys - that's the dorian mode. Now transpose it down a half step. And it sort of makes sense to me - at least the composer is only using those pitches.

Now, can anyone guess what piece it is? According to the index it has never been played in the recitals before...

Sam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
09/19/14 05:19 PM
Who's Online
84 registered (aesop, Anticlock, Al LaPorte, 7notemode, AndreiN, 27 invisible), 1041 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315424 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission