Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#216731 - 08/29/01 09:59 PM Here's a warm fuzzy
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
I went out on a delivery today, something I normally don't do. But I recently had to replace a delivery team who had come to think they ran my company with a new one who understands who runs the show (though the old crew has come to understand this as well ;\) )

It was a 5'7" W. Hoffman by Bechstein. The lady who bought it had saved for a long time for the day she could get her dream piano. She shopped long and hard, and fell in love with the Hoffman. She had to wait on delivery for 2 weeks because she had just had her floors refinished. So for two weeks she has waited, the anticipation building for the moment her piano would sit in her living room.

As they were bringing the piano in, she was a basketcase, worried they might scratch the floor, or drop the piano, she had never seen a grand on its side like that before, so there was the fascination of that mixed in as well. She was everywhere at once, checking the floor, leave the room because she couldn't take watching, then come back because she couldn't take *not* watching, in general just a bundle of nerves mixed with excitement. When they got the piano's last leg on it, my crew foreman... ;\) ) wiped the finish clean, placed the bench in front of the piano, turned to her and said, "Ma'am, would you honor us with a little tune on your new piano?" I looked at the customer, and her eyes were filled, her lips were quivering, and you could tell it was all she could do to hold herself together. You could tell that part of her wanted to bolt from the room before she fell apart, embarassed that she was reacting in such a way, but her eyes never left her piano.

She went to the piano, sat down, and played some chords up and down the keyboard, trying her best to get into an "I'm in control - I'm just testing the sound in the room" frame of mind. After she played the chords, she sat looking straight ahead for a moment, her eyes shining with tears she was holding in. She played a little piece of classical music, stopped, and after a moment she softly said, "Oh, my.....". As best as she could, she quickly excused herself and ran out of the room, giving some excuse for needing to go into the kitchen.

The crew gathered up their equipment and left, and I stayed behind til she came back in the room. When she came back she had mostly composed herself, and now was beaming like a light. I don't think you could have gotten the smile off her face with a crowbar. As I walked down the driveway, I heard her as she started to play the piano, and then it stopped - and I heard "Oh my....". And it wasn't because she found a scratch on her new floor, either.

Sometimes I love this business.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#216732 - 08/30/01 01:55 AM Re: Here's a warm fuzzy
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Isn't it funny to know that.....if everybody who buys a car of same or higher
price would react the same as this lady did,
..we would surely be one tear swept nation...

[ August 30, 2001: Message edited by: Norbert ]

#216733 - 08/30/01 06:20 AM Re: Here's a warm fuzzy
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Thank you for sharing that one, Larry. That[/b] is what getting a piano is all about. Aren't you glad you were there to be a part of that? "Oh my!"

Regards,

#216734 - 08/30/01 06:45 PM Re: Here's a warm fuzzy
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Larry,

I go out on deliveries as rarely as possible, but have to go again now.

This reminds me of a man who made/sold baby furniture who was buying a piano from me. He was amazed at how happy and cheerful and glowing the people were. His comment was that when people bought pieces from him their attitude was,"I am giving you all this money and all I get is this furniture!?" (His stuff is pretty $$)

This IS a good business, isn't it? \:\)
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#216735 - 08/30/01 07:14 PM Re: Here's a warm fuzzy
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Encinitas, CA
Larry,
That IS a wonderful story. So glad you shared it.

Ah, does that mean you will make surprise delivery visits more often to keep your delivery guys on their toes? Seems to me seeing your customers glow over their new pianos would make a nice bonus too.

Besides, we'd get to hear more stories here.
Yeah.

Joy

;\)

#216736 - 08/31/01 06:42 PM Re: Here's a warm fuzzy
Robbie Offline

This is a beautiful story! I have one that is almost identical for the first three paragraphs (new floors, even painted the walls in honour of arriaval of the new piano).

The delivery team didn't ask me for a tune. But as soon as the door closed I sat down and, "Oh... Christ".

Ever since then I have been visitng piano stores in any country that I visit, making sure that my next purchase, the sooner the better, elicits the same response as Larry's happy customer.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (AndrewAJC, anotherscott, Beakybird, AndyG123, AmateurBob, BB Player, 35 invisible), 1400 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155807 Topics
2287825 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday transcribed for Organ
by musdan
39 minutes 2 seconds ago
How do you get $1,000-2,000 for an Out-of-Tune piano??!!?
by Paul678
43 minutes 27 seconds ago
Keeping a digital piano in storage - worth it?
by hexentanz
Today at 05:22 AM
Personal monitors
by Tim K
Today at 02:55 AM
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
Today at 01:41 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission